IGNORED

FART 2014 - OCT 2-5 - Maggie Valley NC

TyTass

We're a month away :clap: , so here are two links to the routes for FART 2014 in Maggie Valley. They contain the same information, but in GDB and GPX formats. Some people only get computer code with one or the other, so I loaded both.

FART 2014 GDB

FART 2014 GPX

Ken,

Nice job again with the routes. They look fantastic. As anyone that messes around in Basecamp knows, it takes a lot of time/effort to put it together correctly. Its appreciated for sure. :thumbsup:

You're welcome...I share this sickness with a few others around here, this route building, scouting, collecting Tracks, then reworking everything as a result. As far as I know, there is no cure :grin:

Ken, I had hope you found one. Oh well.

Yea right Bernie....I would say you're at stage 4 like I am...we have to learn to live with it :dopeslap:

Yea right Bernie....I would say you're at stage 4 like I am...we have to learn to live with it :dopeslap:

Yeah, the biggest fear is that the GPS dies, because the mind is already gone. ;-)

...Yeah, the biggest fear is that the GPS dies, because the mind is already gone. ;-)

I am in trouble - I still have difficulty in downloading routes into my Zumo and the mind is.... well I will leave it at that. :grin:

Yeah, the biggest fear is that the GPS dies, because the mind is already gone. ;-)

I had exactly that happen to me riding with RT_Jim and Dan (b.o.b.) a number of years back. Jim hadn't downloaded the routes (for some reason I can't remember) and Dan didn't have a gps, so I was the only one who had the route. I picked a route that ended up tooling around down by Charley's Creek/Silverteen/Slick Fisher area. When we got there in the afternoon, my GPS decided to lock up. R&R'ing the battery had no effect. Not knowing the roads around there back then, we tried for quite some time to find our way out. The roads weren't well marked (very few street signs). Somehow we kept choosing roads that became gravel or dirt and went nowhere.

On one such road, a white pick-up truck pulled out of a little one-truck clearing in the woods to block the dirt road we would have used had we wanted to continue straight through. In fact, we were about to turn around when the truck pulled out of his 'hiding place". The guy got out of the truck and in a very friendly way told us we didn't want to take our "street" bikes any further as the road deteriorated just up around the bend. We told him we were pretty good with these things on dirt (all false bravado) and he grew insistent, though remaining friendly and polite.

In the end, we turned around as we originally planned. Besides, we didn't want to annoy this guy ... we didn't know why he was just sitting there, more or less guarding the entrance to that road ... his rifle in the gun rack. JAs we rode away it occurred to us he might have been standing watch while illicit activities were progressing up that road. We didn't know what, it was only speculation. It just seemed the most likely explanation.

Later back at the hotel, we overhead some other riders talking about their encounter with this same nice gentleman, only their encounter had occurred quite a number of hours earlier in the day. It was at that point we became convinced his job was indeed to stand watch and lot let anyone up that road. We felt certain he wasn't sitting there all day as a public safety announcement.

Now I know the roads very well in that area. Beside that they are much better marked and more of them are paved, but you can still get turned around in those little valleys. Keep to the roads, stay clear of the moors!

I guess I'm just screwed. I don't even have a GPS.

No, not at all. Follow folks who have a GPS or those know the roads ... or both.

Or, research Google Maps or in-depth hardcopy maps before the event ... make your own set of route directions.

Or, just stay to the main roads.

Or, just don't worry about having to turn around here and there ... trial and error indeed will work. Just don't plan to make too many miles per day. :wave:

There are good roads all over the place.

I will also be missing FART this year, it seems that my spouse Karen of 42 years (not braggin' just sayin', actually I am bragin' cause she's put up with me for that long) birthday is the same weekend. But never fear I already have the sticker on my jesse side case. I wonder how that happened? Oh well next year if the Lord hasn't come and the creek don't rise!

I will also be missing FART this year, it seems that my spouse Karen of 42 years (not braggin' just sayin', actually I am bragin' cause she's put up with me for that long) birthday is the same weekend. But never fear I already have the sticker on my jesse side case. I wonder how that happened? Oh well next year if the Lord hasn't come and the creek don't rise!

I guess I'm just screwed. I don't even have a GPS.

No, not at all. Follow folks who have a GPS or those know the roads ... or both.

Or, research Google Maps or in-depth hardcopy maps before the event ... make your own set of route directions.

Or, just stay to the main roads.

Or, just don't worry about having to turn around here and there ... trial and error indeed will work. Just don't plan to make too many miles per day. :wave:

There are good roads all over the place.

I forgot sarcasm doesn't come across in typing! Yes, I utilize a good old paper map and plot out my turns ahead of time quite often. Usually at events like these I either join someone with a GPS or I just leave the base camp and then when I feel like i'm done riding I pull out the iPhone to figure out where the heck I am, grab the map to find a quick way back.

Hey, James ... no worries. My reply to you was more in general ... to those who may not know.

BTW: Did you see earlier in the thread where Bud was staying at Hillbilly Campground just down the street? They may have a site or two open ... just sayin'. :thumbsup:

Well Joel, congrats to the misses and we will miss you. You will just have to make it up by showing up for some of the SECFF lunch rides this winter.

Hey, James ... no worries. My reply to you was more in general ... to those who may not know.

BTW: Did you see earlier in the thread where Bud was staying at Hillbilly Campground just down the street? They may have a site or two open ... just sayin'. :thumbsup:

Yes I looked at that campground as well. My only issue is that its really going to be a last minute thing. Honestly it'll probably be the "Oh ok, I can leave now" type thing. So, just going to hope for the best that I can find a place to lay my head.

Sitting outside listening to the frogs and crickets while I smoked a cigar and drank a bourbon, I felt a breeze come through...Fall is in the air here in Atlanta.

Now I'm really looking forward to a good FART :clap:

We're a month away :clap: , so here are two links to the routes for FART 2014 in Maggie Valley. They contain the same information, but in GDB and GPX formats. Some people only get computer code with one or the other, so I loaded both.

FART 2014 GDB

FART 2014 GPX

Ken,

Nice job again with the routes. They look fantastic. As anyone that messes around in Basecamp knows, it takes a lot of time/effort to put it together correctly. Its appreciated for sure. :thumbsup:

You're welcome...I share this sickness with a few others around here, this route building, scouting, collecting Tracks, then reworking everything as a result. As far as I know, there is no cure :grin:

Help for dummies needed. Never downloaded or used routes before.

So anyone direct me to a thread or site that would hold my had and walk me thru it?????

TIA.

Help for dummies needed. Never downloaded or used routes before.

So anyone direct me to a thread or site that would hold my had and walk me thru it?????

TIA.

I found that gpsunderground.com is pretty good for information.

and I got some good tips regarding the old streetpilots on gpspassion.com

Nice n Easy Rider

A little over 3 weeks to go. :clap: I thought I might stretch my PR3s out past the FART but decided it isn't worth it. I have about 10K on the front and 7K on the rear (thanks to one of those 3 in a row flats I had!). I'm happy with the mileage I've gotten out of the PR3s (never got more than 7-7.5 K out of the Metzeler's) so I'm going to go with them again. I asked my service manager and he said they haven't had enough experience yet with the PR4s to make a recommendation so I'll stick with what is working right now.

Bringing at least one new rider with me and perhaps a second.

tic-toc, tic-toc.

I've had both PR3's and PR4's... I like the feel and riding profile of the PR4's better.

Still looking like we are on the fence for FART. Keeping my fingers crossed, but it means having to tape a message for an opening I'll miss and I hate getting filmed. Ah, the things we do for a good ride!

Hey, hey, guess what? I'm in!

Our meeting outgrew the space we had in Dallas, so we've relocated to the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville! We wrap up at 3:30 Thursday, then it's a straight shot on I-40. Can't wait!

.... I'm happy with the mileage I've gotten out of the PR3s (never got more than 7-7.5 K out of the Metzeler's) so I'm going to go with them again. I asked my service manager and he said they haven't had enough experience yet with the PR4s to make a recommendation so I'll stick with what is working right now.

I also liked the 3 sets of PR-3s I went through, however, I like the feel of the PR-4s better - first set so not sure yet on the mileage.

Looking forward to seeing you George

Hey, hey, guess what? I'm in!

Our meeting outgrew the space we had in Dallas, so we've relocated to the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville! We wrap up at 3:30 Thursday, then it's a straight shot on I-40. Can't wait!

:clap: This is going to be a great FART!

... if you see me show up, I was able to make it!

Glad you got it almost worked out ... but please explain that last. I'm sorry, but I'm not getting it! :dopeslap::rofl:

Is it time YET!!!!!

Yes, if you leave today you will have a lot of time to take the long way there. :thumbsup:

Actually, you could leave to today, and take a scenic route to Torrey. Then you could leave Torrey, and head to FART. It would be a great three week ride. I wish I could do that.

OUT. I started to have some achey feelings on my left side Monday, which got worse Tuesday, and still worse Wednesday. Although I desperately wanted to avoid spending the night in an ER, the pain wouldn't permit that, so we headed off at 8:30 last night. All beds full, 30 people waiting to be seen, 9 hour wait.

I had a CT scan at 0600 this morning, which confirmed a 7mm stone in my left kidney. I was very relieved to hear the urologist recommend inserting a stent, then after things calm down, blast the sucker with a laser, as I was not looking forward to trying to push a 7mm rock down a 6mm tube. My daughter has been dealing with kidney stones for about a decade, and this morning one of the nurses said she had had kids and she had had stones, and she would take childbirth any day over passing a kidney stone.

rmt264q.gif

I'm currently at a 1-2, probably had a few brief spikes to 5-6 over the past 48 hours. If you've never read the blog post this chart came from, it's a hoot: Boyfriend Doesn't Have Ebola. Probably.

I haven't called the hotel in Maggie Valley yet, but a room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the stream will be coming available in the next 48 hours. PM me if you want to claim the room.

Selden,

Sorry to hear you're going through that. I hope the laser blasts the stone into oblivion and you feel better soon. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing the Pain Scale, that was funny. :grin:

Glenn

The urologist came back an hour later saying that the head stones guy wants to take a less invasive approach, using Flomax, painkillers, and plenty of liquids. On second thought, I hadn't really considered the consequences of having a piece of string dangling from my willie for 10-14 days.

I guess I should approach this as a father-daughter bonding experience.

I've had a number of bouts with stones, so I can relate. Been fortunate enough to never need any invasive treatment, but whew! In passing them I've hit at least a 1011 before ... though admittedly for not too long (maybe 60-90 for the wporst of it and several hours alternating in the 6-910 range). Not fun.

However, I've personally always been able to bounce back within a few days, but then my stones haven't been a chronic issue. Hopefully, you don't have a stack of bbs waiting to come out one at a time, and you'll be able to bounce back in time to FART with us all!

Edited according to the scale above.

Yeah, "head stones guy" does read a little strangely.

I could probably recover in time for FART 2014, but I have to fly to Chicago on Sept 22, then ride to Delaware on Oct 8-9. I'm also going to miss a Jamie Lavall concert in Dahlonega this weekend, and probably a Honda Hawk GT reunion next weekend.

Lots of travel crammed into a short time, and I don't want to risk overdoing things.

I don't know about Head Stone guys, but I've been there-done that on the scale of pain and I'd say I got up to about an 11 before I actually gave in (stupid, I know).

BUT, the good news is reservations are made at the Hillbilly Campground for Friday and Saturday night, so Jennifer and I are IN!!!!

See you all soon,

Kirsten

Well it looks like the missus is out, but I remain steadfastly IN!

And Selden, I'm sorry to hear of your encounter with the Head Stones guy. I always thought that was http://coolalbumreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/keith-richards.jpg and I'd be very pleased to meet him. Also kindly reference the old Chuck Berry chestnut "My Ding-a-Ling" for instructions on the proper application & use of string in such procedures.

Since Jonathan Creek Inn has a 15-day cancellation policy, I'm going to wait until Monday. If the stone passes this weekend, and I feel better for the experience, we're still in. With no direct experience behind me, I don't really know what to expect.

... the good news is reservations are made at the Hillbilly Campground for Friday and Saturday night, so Jennifer and I are IN!!!!

That is absolutely wonderful! Looking forward to meeting Jennifer and having you both there.

Well it looks like the missus is out, but I remain steadfastly IN!

I thought you'd said at B5Q that Kay would be out. Well, tell her she'll be missed and that we'd previously resinged ourselves to being stuck with the lesser half of your team! ;):rofl:

I don't know about Head Stone guys, but I've been there-done that on the scale of pain and I'd say I got up to about an 11 before I actually gave in (stupid, I know).

BUT, the good news is reservations are made at the Hillbilly Campground for Friday and Saturday night, so Jennifer and I are IN!!!!

See you all soon,

Kirsten

Great news. I'm hoping I can make it too. Smores and pesto around the campfire would be great! :grin:

Nice n Easy Rider

Got the new shoes on the RT today. While there they replaced the fuel pump under the recall program. Said it had quite a few cracks but the sleeve that one of our board members sold to me apparently did its job and held the pump together.

While there I looked at (and sat on) the 2014 RT. The low seat that comes standard would be great for being able to flat-foot the stops but even if the pegs were lowered there would be too much bend in my aching knees. Checked with the staff and you can order a higher seat that will allow almost 3 more inches if set on the highest setting. Might have to swing by there again when the 2015s start arriving. I really like the blue/graphite grey color scheme on the 2015 model. By next year I'll have 8 years on my 2007 so if I were to get a 2015 and put 8 years on it I'll be 75 yo. I guess I could decide then what to do next.

Anyhow, something for me to consider over the winter.

While there I looked at (and sat on) the 2014 RT. The low seat that comes standard would be great for being able to flat-foot the stops but even if the pegs were lowered there would be too much bend in my aching knees. Checked with the staff and you can order a higher seat that will allow almost 3 more inches if set on the highest setting. Might have to swing by there again when the 2015s start arriving. I really like the blue/graphite grey color scheme on the 2015 model. By next year I'll have 8 years on my 2007 so if I were to get a 2015 and put 8 years on it I'll be 75 yo. I guess I could decide then what to do next.

Anyhow, something for me to consider over the winter.

Wait till you ride one, then you will have even more things to think off, just ask Highway41. :wave:

Archived