IGNORED

FART 2014 - OCT 2-5 - Maggie Valley NC

TyTass

Dang-it Craig, when did you cancel my reservation?

Maybe he didn't want you learnin' too much while you were riding with him ,and then passing him! :)

I'm so sorry, Mike. It was an accident (though perhaps my subconscious was at work there) ... oops, did I just type that out loud? :rofl:

"Selden" is the correct spelling. I've been dealing with countless mis-spellings since birth; the first copy of my birth certificate (pre-Xerox pre-printing press) was hand-written, and mis-spelled my name.

See: Railroad-rail joint. US [patent] 824099

Sorry about the typo ... but I do believe you misspoke above, too, so I corrected it! Happy Birthday!

Hey! I may feel older than dirt, but Gutenberg predates me by a considerable margin.

68 seems like a "meh" birthday. It's not a major milestone like 60 (must ride to Alaska while still able); 65 (Medicare/SS eligibility); or 70 (OMG, I'm a geezer!).

Maybe he didn't want you learnin' too much while you were riding with him ,and then passing him! :)

Not seeing your name in the "IN" column?

There, now you're officially in the "What about..." column

Yeah, Glenn! Are you IN or what. If I missed you signing up I apologize, but inquiring minds do want to know! ;)

Computerbob

In. Reservations made for Wednesday through Sunday.

Wife's bringing her FZ8 for some fun in the mountains this time. The Triumph was fun last time, but I think she's ready to put the Yamaha to the test.

EDIT: The only thing they said they had available was the expensive room with the hot tub and fireplace. Not sure if that's because we were arriving early or if that's all that was left. Party in our room!

In. Reservations made for Wednesday through Sunday.

Party in our room!

Yeah that you'll both be there and double yeah on the party!! See you soon I hope, and looking forward to October. :thumbsup:

This sounds pretty good, can't make this one but I may have to ride in from Texas next year and do it. I take it you do a spring ride, too?

Ron

This sounds pretty good, can't make this one but I may have to ride in from Texas next year and do it. I take it you do a spring ride, too?

Ron

Yes, Ron ... we do a spring event ... currently called Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (S.T.A.R.T.) and of course the fall event, F.A.R.T. The spring event is usually the last week in April or first week in May. However, please note that each consecutive event will be in a different town/motel located somewhere in the lower Appalachians (Smokies, Blue Ridge, whatever one chooses to call the area). So, keep your eye out for START/FART, rather than the a specific location (Maggie Valley - FART this fall).

In fact, there have been spring and fall ride events in southeast area that have been hosted by and put on for members of this community for quite a number of years. To be sure, the hosts and many of the players have changed over the years, but it remains a very friendly and welcoming group of people (no clique or club).

So, we're looking forward to having you come join us as you're able ... and to most assuredly come to share our passion for amazing riding this area offers. Believe me, you could ride for years in this area before riding all the great roads the area has to offer.

Matts_12GS

Ron

Hey Ron,

I should have relocated to Austin by the time the spring trip comes around... I'll be glad to ride with you for that one

Ron

Hey Ron,

I should have relocated to Austin by the time the spring trip comes around... I'll be glad to ride with you for that one

Matt, let's do it. If you are going to be in Austin keep Arkansas in mind maybe we can hook up for some of that.

Ron

Glenn Reed

Yeah, Glenn! Are you IN or what. If I missed you signing up I apologize, but inquiring minds do want to know! ;)

Guys, I just don't plan as far ahead as I would like. Two boys in college, work, etc... excuses, other excuses, blah, blah, blah. :rofl:

I'll let you know when I know.

Thanks for inquiring though! :wave:

Fivestar13

I am in. Made reservations on Thursday at the hotel (for Friday-Sunday). Stopped by the property while riding through the valley. Great day of riding. Fairly hot day.

Anyway, this is my first post. Been lurking over a month here. It was this F.A.R.T. Thread that sparked further interest and motivated me to sign up for the trip (first and foremost) and for this forum. Great resource for information; seemingly great folks too. Venue for this event was surely good incentive/influence.

Look forward to the experience. Happy Riding to you all!

I am in. Made reservations on Thursday at the hotel (for Friday-Sunday). Stopped by the property while riding through the valley. Great day of riding. Fairly hot day.

Anyway, this is my first post. Been lurking over a month here. It was this F.A.R.T. Thread that sparked further interest and motivated me to sign up for the trip (first and foremost) and for this forum. Great resource for information; seemingly great folks too. Venue for this event was surely good incentive/influence.

Thanks and Welcome Aboard, Chris! Always happy to welcome new members and am looking forward to meeting this fall. I'm envious of your recent ride to Maggie Valley. I'm 500 miles from there so it takes a bit for me to get there, but get there I do as often as I can. Where in NC are you?

Just a couple FYIs:

- We usually hold a group meal on the Saturday evening of the event ... not mandatory, of course, but it's a great way of meeting more people. We try to hold it within walking distance of the hotel (when possible). That information will be posted in this thread closer to the event.

- We will also post in this thread suggested routes (for GPSs) much closer to the event. While we don't have organized rides, they provide a quick plan for an impromptu rides ... especially those last minute decided in the parking lot between folks who don't really know each other or the area (though I assume you know the area).

- Please hop on over to M/C Discussions > Motorcycle Talk and post your introduction there, too. That's where far more people on this board will see your new membership and welcome you. This particular thread is most likely frequented by folks who are coming to Maggie OR like you fascinated by the name of the ride? :rofl:

- Fill out as much as you're comfortable with sharing of your profile so people can get to know you a bit better.

I second Craig's welcome, Chris, and can say without reservation (and in the case of my second F.A.R.T., with reservations) that this is a pretty great place to be. I've been on here for a little over a year now, have attended a couple of the East Coast events, and have met some pretty amazing, knowledgeable, cool, and just downright fun people through these pages and at the analogue/real world events. I'll look forward to meeting you at Maggie Valley; till then, I hope you get some great rides in this summer, be safe, and Embrace the Wild Frontier... however you define it (ideally, at least a little every day).

Will

Fivestar13

Thanks and Welcome Aboard, Chris! Always happy to welcome new members and am looking forward to meeting this fall. I'm envious of your recent ride to Maggie Valley. I'm 500 miles from there so it takes a bit for me to get there, but get there I do as often as I can. Where in NC are you?

Craig, Will,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I will post up in the introductions area of the forum soon. I try to ride to WNC as much as I can. The area is roughly 250-300 miles from me depending on route or what distractions that I allow or just happen. I am in the Sandhills region of NC, southwest of the Triangle by 60 or so miles. Just outside of Fayetteville. I also split time in Northern Alabama. Therefore, I list my location as the Southeast with both states.

I look forward to meeting up a the event, especially the fellowship of the rides, plus the evening meal.

I came upon this site as I was looking to enhance my BMW Motorrad knowledge as I am new to the brand as an owner. Long time rider of other stuff. Rented, borrowed BMWs in the past, former BMW auto owner. I have always appreciated the Motorrad, just finally came to my senses (I suppose, maybe) and got one of my own. I am sure glad I did. I believe the bike has perhaps been the most satisfying ride, after just about 30 days and 2500+ miles with my R1100RT. I did not think I would come to this conclusion so soon. Especially after 22 plus years of riding and owning many machines over those years.

Anyway, the RT and I have gotten along rather well.

I contacted Mitch a week ago about this event. He said it would depend on how things went this summer. He said he probably wouldn't know until early September.

Thanks, Burt.

I've had some Facebook contact with some other folk not yet on the list (some more of the original cast of characters from El Paseo and BRR days) and found out several are planning to make it, but haven't yet made reservations, and one or two more that are now considering it.

Hoping to have full house this event and it's shaping up nicely.

Chris,

Your 2500 miles sounds great. Believe me, you'll hear the following phrase here on BMWST a lot after announcing a long or interesting trip ... "If you don't have pictures, it didn't happen."

That ostensibly is the result of everyone living vicariously through this site. If we can't ride as much as we like, we can look at pictures and read ride tales of those who are riding when we can't!

If you have pictures and a tale, please go post your Ride Tale over one the Ride Tale thread. Doesn't matter if it happened before you joined ... we all just like to read about cool rides and see cool ride photos (of bikes or not, doesn't matter).

There are plenty of example stories in Ride Tales.

Can I start the "Desperately Trying to Squeeze It In" group? I owe Craig a cold one for sending me a reminder, and it's a little sad that all these weddings and funerals and such have cast me out from the "Former Regulars".

Hope to see you all soon, and will let you know ASAP.

Cheers!

Fivestar13
Chris,

Your 2500 miles sounds great. Believe me, you'll hear the following phrase here on BMWST a lot after announcing a long or interesting trip ... "If you don't have pictures, it didn't happen."

That ostensibly is the result of everyone living vicariously through this site. If we can't ride as much as we like, we can look at pictures and read ride tales of those who are riding when we can't!

If you have pictures and a tale, please go post your Ride Tale over one the Ride Tale thread. Doesn't matter if it happened before you joined ... we all just like to read about cool rides and see cool ride photos (of bikes or not, doesn't matter).

There are plenty of example stories in Ride Tales.

I get it. Like if it is not on social media (insert venue here), then it did not happen! Well I was simply stating cumulative mileage since taking up ownership. No special vacation trips. However, most on 300+ mile days on weekends, since my less than 10 mile round trip daily commute does not accumulate much mileage. I know none of this happened without pics. I will leave you with my fairy tale for now until I figure out how to make my pics from my phone smaller using the file manager (probably a thread or user guide on that). I almost exclusively do my personal computing from my phone. I will figure something out.

Fivestar13

image_zpsbf3384b0.jpg

Here we go. Some Western NC riding for you. This is BRP entrance at Little Switzerland vicinity US 226A and NC 80.

Nice n Easy Rider

Well, my back has continued to be a pain in the (butt, legs, feet, etc) even after the injections. Injections worked for awhile but not enough to keep doing them. And the surgery option didn't sound very inviting, especially after investigating online and finding out how high the complication rates were. Right now focusing on some gentle exercises.

Surprisingly, I'm comfortable while riding - just bothers me while walking or sleeping (OK, just ride more, right?).

In any case I'm going to try to make the Beemers, Blues, Brews & BBQ at Snowshoe and if the back holds up for that I'll plan on being at the FART in Oct. In any case, hope to see many of you in WV soon.

Really looking forward to the event. The prelude and build-up has been great thus far. Here is an image of an overlook of some named ride/road in the Smokies not "far" from Maggie Valley. It was just yesterday (Sunday, 13 July). Very hot. Early October should greet us with cooler or milder temps. That said, there are many more nameless roads that are equally great if not greater riding in the area. Mood for exploration? Yes! Conundrum 101: many roads, less time.

Cheers!

image_zps263752ed.jpg

Really looking forward to the event. The prelude and build-up has been great thus far. Here is an image of an overlook of some named ride/road in the Smokies not "far" from Maggie Valley. It was just yesterday (Sunday, 13 July). Very hot. Early October should greet us with cooler or milder temps. That said, there are many more nameless roads that are equally great if not greater riding in the area. Mood for exploration? Yes! Conundrum 101: many roads, less time.

Cheers!

image_zps263752ed.jpg

Nice pic Chris but Where In The World Is Mr. Happy????? :S

The FART List just keeps getting bigger ...

Hey, I need a little help with the list, folks:

- Anyone who shows up regularly or even occasionally whose name I may have forgotten, like ... Jim Williams (duh, Craig), etc.

- There are a number of people who show up regularly, or even occasionally, who don't post at all or very often on BMWST. Thus, I tend to forget their names, but some of you know who they are. If you would please post their names. Of course, if you know their intentions for this year, post that, as well.

- There are also some folks who haven't shown up in quite sometime who many of you are friends with. How about reaching out to those folks and see if you can get them to join back in (at least for one event)? I'm talking about folks like David, Itchybro, etc.

Here's the list as of today ...

i-KbBZkM5-XL.png

Well, I found out today that Ken Deline has a reservation. Anyone know if Kate is coming, too (I mean she usually does).

Mustang Guy

I'm the new guy. I suppose I am also known as the new Craig, or noob Craig. In my other forum, most people just reduced me to an acronym, MG (the Klipsch forums). That shows how important I am!

I just leaned about this event in a PM from old Craig, or wise Craig if that sounds better, and as soon as I check my schedule, I will know if I can make reservations. I hope so. I love the NC mountains, and I truly enjoy meeting new people with similar interests!

I am more and more glad I traded my Harley in on a Beemer. I never was much of a Harley guy.

We prefer to call him Craig Classic

Matt, did he just call me old? Yeah, I'm pretty sure he did. :mad:

See, this what you get for being nice to people!

;):rofl:

Well, I found out today that Ken Deline has a reservation. Anyone know if Kate is coming, too (I mean she usually does).

I just checked with Kate, she is also coming.

I just checked with Kate, she is also coming.

Excellent. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I must have missed when that happened!

:rofl:

Yes, you did. That was by intention. Can't have you developing expectations! :D

I'm sorry, I must have missed when that happened!

:rofl:

Maybe you were busy sharing bourbon...

:wave:

No, I was busy watching my Reuben so it didn't get stolen.... again!

:cry:

LOL! :rofl:

I hardly think it's our fault he wasn't more attentive that day...

:rofl::dopeslap:

out. Will be establishing Montana new home base.

sorry to miss it.

Congrats on the new job/career ... but Boo-Hiss on you deciding to leave the east. It'll be a shame not to have you there (anymore?), but what an important move for you and your family.

I suppose we'll have to simply understand and wish you the best. :cry:

Splitter! :mad::rofl:

Archived