IGNORED

FART 2014 - OCT 2-5 - Maggie Valley NC

TyTass

We are out as we will be on our bi annual migration back to Florida. Planned on spending the weekend with you guys but since we will have the cat with us the hotel will not let us stay. This would have been perfect for us as we were on our way down there anyway. We will wave as we drive by. :wave:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you all can make it in the spring, also.

BTW: What name are you guys on the list? :S

that would be Kate and Ken Deline

Thanks, Chris. Below is a link to a video I put together back in 2011 during UnRally X, riding out just west of of Little Switzerland. Despite the poor video quality (well prior to my getting a GoPro), it clearly shows the wonderful roads easily reachable from Maggie Valley.

Clicky for video

Great video Craig. Amazing how much more resolution your GoPro brings out now. That said the resolution does not diminish how great the ride is as captured by you 3 years ago. Reminds me how awesome this part of Appalachian is in the WNC&ETN area. So many great rides, so little time! Much like a trip to Disneyland has some great rides, some better than others. Though it is likely that you cannot and will not ride them all during your limited time there.

I recognized much of the riding in your video. Though I am sure there was a gem of a road hidden in the footage yet for me to discover. No doubt that is the stuff that keeps us coming back for more!

Thanks, Chris. Below is a link to a video I put together back in 2011 during UnRally X, riding out just west of of Little Switzerland. Despite the poor video quality (well prior to my getting a GoPro), it clearly shows the wonderful roads easily reachable from Maggie Valley.

Clicky for video

Great video Craig. Amazing how much more resolution your GoPro brings out now. That said the resolution does not diminish how great the ride is as captured by you 3 years ago. Reminds me how awesome this part of Appalachian is in the WNC&ETN area. So many great rides, so little time! Much like a trip to Disneyland has some great rides, some better than others. Though it is likely that you cannot and will not ride them all during your limited time there.

I recognized much of the riding in your video. Though I am sure there was a gem of a road hidden in the footage yet for me to discover. No doubt that is the stuff that keeps us coming back for more!

Just be careful following those guys, I seem to remember having to negotiate freshly graveled switchbacks on my RT a few years ago.

We are out as we will be on our bi annual migration back to Florida. Planned on spending the weekend with you guys but since we will have the cat with us the hotel will not let us stay. This would have been perfect for us as we were on our way down there anyway. We will wave as we drive by. :wave:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you all can make it in the spring, also.

BTW: What name are you guys on the list? :S

that would be Kate and Ken Deline

Thanks, Rog.

I thought it might be them, considering there can't be too many folk who are part of the BMWST crowd migrating back a forth between IL & FL. What confused me is the profile name. I thought both Kate and Ken had profiles. Is that Kate's profile?

Kate & Ken ... We'll look forward to seeing you guys in the Spring, then.

Clicky for video

Just be careful following those guys, I seem to remember having to negotiate freshly graveled switchbacks on my RT a few years ago.

I hear ya John. Good point. Gravel is just sort of a constant threat in the mountains, especially after a fresh rain shower. Folks should always be prepared to "pick a lane" and ride in the inner or outer car tire tracks (where gravel is much reduced by passing car) rather than to ride their hoped-for line.

That said, gravel is always worse in the spring when there are generally more downpours and there has been less traffic to throw it off the road. Unless there's a lot of storms in the fall in WNC, the roads are most often clear (unlike WV where gravel is indeed a constant due to the construction material of shoulders there).

As you well know, it's much worse in WV.

^^^^ yup graveled switchbacks and graveled roadways are a common feature, especially on US 226A up toward Little Switzerland (Diamondback) and parts of NC 80 (Devil's Whip) coming down from there. Among other notables/named roads is NC 209 (the Rattler); graveled stuff there too. Remember for roads where people live, they have driveways. Most likely those driveways are gravel. So gravel cross contaminates the roadways. Roads without those driveways seem to be less graveled. Pre-running each road at a less spirited pace is a good practice before getting on it. YMMV.

Chris,

Here's another video I took this past spring ... that shows NC-209, TN-352, US19W, Paint Fork Rd. and finishes up with a flashback of NC-212 (the rest were in order).

There was lots of gravel, particularly on Paint Fork, and the more back roads. What the video doesn't show is me using the other lane a couple times (with visibility of course) to avoid some really deep piles, and me going through a few with the telltale shimmy in the video. Of course, I didn't include them in the produced version of the video.

I've looked at them a few times to see what lessons could be drawn from them. Your suggestion is a good one ... as is suspecting deep gravel, rocks, and stones on sharp right handers that disappear around really short, dirt/rock-exposed hills. I found little to no debris on the taller cliff faces (doesn't mean it won't be there, just that statistically I happened upon more with smaller hills).

The previous video looks familiar!

It should, Dan. That was great friends riding on a phenomenal ride, during fabulous gathering (UN X), and all in wonderful weather.

Chris,

Here's another video I took this past spring ... that shows NC-209, TN-352, US19W, Paint Fork Rd. and finishes up with a flashback of NC-212 (the rest were in order).

I've looked at them a few times to see what lessons could be drawn from them. Your suggestion is a good one ... as is suspecting deep gravel, rocks, and stones on sharp right handers that disappear around really short, dirt/rock-exposed hills. I found little to no debris on the taller cliff faces (doesn't mean it won't be there, just that statistically I happened upon more with smaller hills).

Craig, awesome video. Tastefully done with music. Good music. Gets you Amp'd for a ride!

I think your observations for where gravely situations develop are spot on. Principles of the fall-line in effect.

We're a month away :clap: , so here are two links to the routes for FART 2014 in Maggie Valley. They contain the same information, but in GDB and GPX formats. Some people only get computer code with one or the other, so I loaded both.

A note about receiving routes from others.

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route. You must do the following.

Open the GDB or GPX file in your software, then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option).

Change the color of the Duplicate route (usually double click, then go to “Info” and look there)

Note the mileage, then Re-calculate the Original route. The mileage should stay the same.

If the route mileage is different, look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to. You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the Duplicate route.

Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicate route, then load the Original route onto your GPS.

FART 2014 GDB

FART 2014 GPX

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route. You must do the following.

You MUST do this. This is what happens when you don't follow those steps properly:

9K2hDwQ.jpg

This was when we decided to turn around, so I hopped off and snapped a picture real quick. I had been following one of Ken's routes, but it obviously went a little off course.

Then, for the rest of your life, your wife will remind you of the time that you "forced" her to follow you into the woods. You DO NOT want to do that.

You MUST do this. This is what happens when you don't follow those steps properly:

9K2hDwQ.jpg

This was when we decided to turn around, so I hopped off and snapped a picture real quick. I had been following one of Ken's routes, but it obviously went a little off course.

Then, for the rest of your life, your wife will remind you of the time that you "forced" her to follow you into the woods. You DO NOT want to do that.

Or, like in my case, after you send your Brother-In-Law a route and he ended up in a pasture surrounded by cows, after crossing several streams. He will never let me live this down, as he thought I tried to get him killed by hungry cows and blood thirsty rednecks. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Or, like in my case, after you send your Brother-In-Law a route and he ended up in a pasture surrounded by cows, after crossing several streams. He will never let me live this down, as he thought I tried to get him killed by hungry cows and blood thirsty rednecks. rofl rofl rofl "

One never knows Bernie, with Ken it can be a normal route.

Terry

Terry

Yes, but only for the people I really like :wave:

I'll have to add a Waypoint in those special locations...somthing like "Ha Ha Gotcha"

Lone_RT_rider

Terry

I'll have to add a Waypoint in those special locations...somthing like "Ha Ha Gotcha"

Yes, and for extra special friends he will send you to the same "Gotcha" spot twice. lol :)

In out in out...

Out.

Relocation tasks abound. Sorry to miss my friends.

Chris

This moving crap keeps getting in the way of our farewell ride! Bummer!

New Prospective Attendee List (i.e., The FART List)

We are 30 days out. Please note the 15-Day Cancellation Policy of the hotel.

Also, we have several people who will be new to BMWST SE Ride Events. This pretty much goes without saying, but let's make sure we all welcome them and aren't left in the parking lot in the mornings wondering where everyone went.

i-zQLQdxL-XL.png

9K2hDwQ.jpg

I fail to understand the problem here. :S

Lone_RT_rider
Chris,

Craig,

Either you sped up the video (which I doubt) or your skills have greatly improved since I rode with you back at RCR. I'm not sure I would be able to keep up anymore. :) Matt had told me you had really stepped it up. Awesome vid my friend. :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider

Of course you don't. You now ride a GS. Because of this, excess dirt and mud from actually following Ken's "Street routes" has been compressed into your ears therefore inducing increased pressure on your brain. This in effect reduces your powers of reasoning. :)

Terry

Yes, and for extra special friends he will send you to the same "Gotcha" spot twice. lol :)

I tried to get you to do it a 3rd time, but you were on to me by then :rofl:

Craig,

Either you sped up the video (which I doubt) or your skills have greatly improved since I rode with you back at RCR. I'm not sure I would be able to keep up anymore. :) Matt had told me you had really stepped it up. Awesome vid my friend. :thumbsup:

Nah, I didnt speed up the video (which leaves telltale patterns in a video). While I can acknowledge that I have improved my skill set, I would bet the two biggest factor in this video looking so fast are: 1) the default setting of the GoPro is 170° wide angle, and 2) I have the camera mounted just to the right of the beak (much closer to the road than where many people mount their GoPros ... results in a faster feel).

That said, during that trip I was "feeling" all kind of fast ... until I let Matt & Alan lead and then I had to keep up to those sandbaggers! Believe me ... when we ride together next, youll still be waiting for me at the next turn. :rofl:

Of course you don't. You now ride a GS. Because of this, excess dirt and mud from actually following Ken's "Street routes" has been compressed into your ears therefore inducing increased pressure on your brain. This in effect reduces your powers of reasoning. :)

Perhaps, just perhaps I have dirt in my ears affecting my brain ... but I don't believe it has anything to do with my owning a GS ADV now. While scouting for RCR and just riding in general in WV, I did quite a few miles on dirt & gravel on my '04 RT. When I sold it, the belly pan was predominately black (tupperware natural color) with a few stubborn patches off Biaritz Blue and primer grey remaining.

And I did little off-road scouting compared to what Keith (OoPEZoO) had done for RCR. For some reason, all the routes he scouted seemed to head to gravel, dirt, and water ... cresting mountains and fording rivers. I don't know how he ended up those routes but Keith and his old RT handled it with aplomb. And there's nothing wrong with Keith so ... come one ... join in on the fun! Take your RT off-road!

More like this Glenn :grin:

BRR_Fall_08-0052.jpg

That progressed to the point that the trail was not as wide as my handle bars, and I ended up with the choice of fording an almost knee deep creek or turning around. I don't like turning around. It was also pouring down rain. Not exactly a smart decision, but I made it through without too much trouble. The worst of it was getting a loaded RT up the muddy bank on the other side with street tires spinning like I was at a burnout competition. That was the first time I had the RT offroad, but certainly not the last. Ahhh.....the good old days. Hence the move to a GS this time. Its much more fitting for the trouble I like to get myself into

There you go Keith! I don't think I ever saw your RT, so it's good to know it was a versatile machine! :thumbsup: Mine has seen a bit of gravel, but dirt like that? Not so much...

Yup......I believe that was on the way to the BRR in the fall of '07. We all showed up soaked to the bone on that trip. I'll never forget Mrs. Knifemaker crawling out of the Harley sidecar that evening. I'll bet there was a good 2" of water in the bottom of it sloshing around.

As far as showing up in Maggie Valley next month........I'm doing what I can. I could really use a few days on the road to get my head screwed on straight.

Lone_RT_rider
There you go Keith! I don't think I ever saw your RT, so it's good to know it was a versatile machine! :thumbsup: Mine has seen a bit of gravel, but dirt like that? Not so much...

Look! An RT in it's native environment!

Mitch%20at%20Deals-XL.jpg

I believe that was on the way to the BRR in the fall of '07

The first BRR was Spring of 2008.

Yup, you are correct. My mistake. I checked the pics and it was the fall of 2008. A handful of us showed up on Wednesday in a torrential downpour (the Knifemakers, David, Rich, and Mitch). The following day was an awesome day for riding. A few leaves on the road, but no traffic anywhere. I spent the whole day playing cat and mouse with this guy

BRR_Fall_08-0072.jpg

Hell of a good time. Damn, I miss NC

We're a month away :clap: , so here are two links to the routes for FART 2014 in Maggie Valley. They contain the same information, but in GDB and GPX formats. Some people only get computer code with one or the other, so I loaded both.

FART 2014 GDB

FART 2014 GPX

Ken,

Nice job again with the routes. They look fantastic. As anyone that messes around in Basecamp knows, it takes a lot of time/effort to put it together correctly. Its appreciated for sure. :thumbsup:

Yup, you are correct. My mistake. I checked the pics and it was the fall of 2008 ... Hell of a good time. Damn, I miss NC

The first half of this video is from BRR II, Fall of 2008. We were surprised by a good bit of color that trip. Perhaps we'll be as lucky this time. Click to see video of BRR II / RCR I and some really sloppy riding on my part! :rofl:

I hate to miss this but I will be on my way to Taiwan. I sucks when work gets in the way of riding.

You'll be missed. :cry:

... we'll miss seeing you ride off like the wind around the first curve, never to be seen until lunch ;) ... and of course you livening up the conversations each evening.

FART 2014 GDB

FART 2014 GPX

Ken,

Nice job again with the routes. They look fantastic. As anyone that messes around in Basecamp knows, it takes a lot of time/effort to put it together correctly. Its appreciated for sure. :thumbsup:

You're welcome...I share this sickness with a few others around here, this route building, scouting, collecting Tracks, then reworking everything as a result. As far as I know, there is no cure :grin:

FART 2014 GDB

FART 2014 GPX

Ken,

You're welcome...I share this sickness with a few others around here, this route building, scouting, collecting Tracks, then reworking everything as a result. As far as I know, there is no cure :grin:

Ken, I had hope you found one. Oh well.

Archived