IGNORED

FART 2014 - OCT 2-5 - Maggie Valley NC

TyTass

... don't give up on it until the FART is over.

:D That might need to go on the next logo design.

I'm on it....we need to make FARTs memorable :rofl:

... don't give up on it until the FART is over.

I've done that about the last 4 or 5 years at the county level. Will check it out here.

Um, I'm confused... are you talking about FARTs or something else at the county level? If so, I'm impressed! But I would ask that you DON'T "check it out here" when we are all there :rofl:

That, my friends, is known as blanketed regional coverage.

And BTW, I'm a few pages late, but really glad to hear that Matt is on board. And on a different topic altogether, I just confirmed that there's no conflict Between FART and the AMA races at NJ Motorsports Park, which take place the weekend of September 13 - 14. I would be up for one of the days (probably Saturday 9/13) to catch the AMA Pro races, if anyone would like to make the run up from the DMV (District/Maryland/Virginia, for those unfamiliar) or meet up if you're coming from the north or west. Though it takes a bit longer, I like to go via 301 (I think the connection is 13 to pick up the Delaware Mem Bridge) to reduce slab time and make it a more pleasant ride. Not much of a morning person, but I could rally for this; PM if interested.

yes, that was sort of an ambiguous response. I meant that I have BS'ed my way out of jury duty numerous time for the local courts. I'm not sure how far I should push it with the Feds. Maybe I'm just paranoid about the black helicopters hovering over my house. :Cool:

yes, that was sort of an ambiguous response. I meant that I have BS'ed my way out of jury duty numerous time for the local courts. I'm not sure how far I should push it with the Feds. Maybe I'm just paranoid about the black helicopters hovering over my house. :Cool:

I was not suggesting you BS your way out of Jury duty, but rather to request a later (or earlier) date.

Do you know of camping nearby? I'm not familiar with one, but I can do a bit of research. Of course, if any one else knows of some, please speak up.

Nothing dialed in yet. If someone knows that's great. I did a quick search and saw a couple of places that look within reasonable walking distance :)

Well HERE is some good news.

Sounds like a lot of fun at the UN.

Called Hillbilly. Booked tent site. They have two. The other is already taken by a father/son (someone from the UN?).

No problem with the bike (disclaimer is for "other" types of bikers :grin:)

Kirsten,

Did you see Bud's post regarding Hillbilly Campground? Hopefully there's a tent site still open. Would love to see you two at Maggie.

If Hillbilly doesn't work out, Blue Ridge Motorcylce Campground is a fair piece (20 miles, which would negate drinking), but is very nice.

Thanks Will!!!

Sadly, it looks like the attractive half of this couple will not be able to come along due to a new product launching in TX.

Anyone need a roomie?

Thanks Will!!!

Sadly, it looks like the attractive half of this couple will not be able to come along due to a new product launching in TX.

Anyone need a roomie?

Sorry to hear Ashley can't make it. Bummer. :(

Craig,

You can remove Suz'anne from the list. She will be out of town and visiting our daughter. I will let you know if I can still attend as the time gets closer but it does not look promising. :(

Craig,

You can remove Suz'anne from the list. She will be out of town and visiting our daughter. I will let you know if I can still attend as the time gets closer but it does not look promising. :(

Well, that's unfortunate on both accounts. Hope you can make it.

Hey there, fellas. I'm new to the site and less than 2 hours from Maggie Valley. Is there a page somewhere that has all the details about this event? Forgive me for not sifting thru 22 pages to look for it.

I'm thinking I need to be there.

Hey there, fellas. I'm new to the site and less than 2 hours from Maggie Valley. Is there a page somewhere that has all the details about this event? Forgive me for not sifting thru 22 pages to look for it.

I'm thinking I need to be there.

Its all on page 1.

I meant as far as ride specifics. I wasn't clear on that.

Is Oct 2 the arrival day, or the first ride day?

Well, lemme say, "Welcome," and let you you that I agree with you. You do need to be there. I'll try to help you out on you question, if I understand what you asking, Brock.

Yes, most people are arriving on Thursday, Oct 2nd. However, some of us are arriving Wed and yet others won't arrive until Fri afternoon/evening. The hotel will honor our group rate for any of the adjacent days before or after.

So, the first ride day is the day after a person arrives. It depends on when tou arrive.

The rides themselves are very informal affairs. Generally, folks just sort of coordinate informally the night before (while drinking in the parking lot and lying about the ride in) or morning of a ride day. Also, groups tend to remain small ... 2-5 max. Many times people know each other, but as always is the case with new folks, folks get to know one another by riding together.

Someone will almost certainly ask tou to join in, but feel free to just ask around, too. Dont be shy. Just introduce yourself and see if you can join folks you wind up chatting with.

As I said ... informal.

Once a bunch of folks decide to ride together, they most often pick one of the provided event routes (which Ken will provide links in this thread soon for folks to go download).

If you dont have a GPS or didn't dl the routes, youll just have to follow.

On the ride, folks ride their own ride ... if separation occurs ... the people in front wait at the next turn for folks to catch up, and then catch their breath. Then everyone starts of in the new direction, gathering again at the next turn.

OTOH, some groups ride the entire day at the same pace, sometimes jabbering on radios, sometimes stopping to enjoy a view or to take photos. These sorts of things are usually discussed just before the ride, because each group and every ride can be different.

Many of the provided routes have breakfast or a lunch stop preplanned, but some don't. That too must be precoordinated and discussed.

So, again I emphasize ... its informal ... not quite as bad as herding cats, but to the uninitiated it probably looks very close. :grin:

Exactly the details I was looking for. Thanks! I plan a summer gathering annually (Honda riders) that works the same way.

I'm booked for a Thursday arrival, departing Sunday. I'll be coming solo from upstate SC. I'm good for up to 300 twisty miles a day, and I'm comfortable at a swift pace. I'll be looking for riding partners, and can even lead if needed.

See ya there!

14Dragonfollowers_zps425fe121.jpg

Exactly the details I was looking for. Thanks! I plan a summer gathering annually (Honda riders) that works the same way.

I'm booked for a Thursday arrival, departing Sunday. I'll be coming solo from upstate SC. I'm good for up to 300 twisty miles a day, and I'm comfortable at a swift pace. I'll be looking for riding partners, and can even lead if needed.

See ya there!

14Dragonfollowers_zps425fe121.jpg

Excellent, Brock. I'll add you to the list on the next update.

I have to ask ... what are you doing coordinating Honda events when you don't have a Honda?

I used to have a '02 Honda Shadow Aero 1100. The event is the "All Aero Ride", however, almost all of us have sold our Aeros. We still meet on our Harleys, Victorys, etc. every June.

Here's my Aero, sold 3+ years ago...

sideview1medium_zps595b5d6d.jpg

Just helped a friend find and buy (inspect) an Aero 750. New rider, should be a good fit. He passed a safety course and received his endorsement but man, it was scary taking him out on his maiden voyage.

image_zps8b9e68e8.jpg

Ok, enough farting around, back to business. :)

Pat

My plan as of now is to stay at the Jonathan Creek Inn Thurs night so I can get to know folks, but I'm probably moving down the street to the Four Seasons ($71/night) Fri & Sat night. That will save me $100.

My plan as of now is to stay at the Jonathan Creek Inn Thurs night so I can get to know folks, but I'm probably moving down the street to the Four Seasons ($71/night) Fri & Sat night. That will save me $100.

What kind of room did JCI put you in (i.e., what is the rate JCI quoted that has you saving so much)?

Standard rooms are gone, so I'm looking at $90 for Thurs & $121.50 (vs. $71) Fri & Sat. That's $100 saved for the two nights, not each night.

Standard rooms are gone, so I'm looking at $90 for Thurs & $121.50 (vs. $71) Fri & Sat. That's $100 saved for the two nights, not each night.

Got it. Just wanted to be sure something wasn't wrong with the price quotes.

BTW: There may be folks looking to share a room, which would make it really cheap.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Would like to attend, but due to limited resources (i.e. time), I won't be able to make it this year. I will look forward to seeing all y'all next spring.

I'm a big maybe on this year. I REALLY want to come. However, we have a lot of unknowns right now with Jill going back to work. I will probably be a last minute IN. If I do come I'll be camping or hoping someone needs a roommate.

Would like to attend, but due to limited resources (i.e. time), I won't be able to make it this year. I will look forward to seeing all y'all next spring.

You'll be sorely missed.

I'm a big maybe on this year. I REALLY want to come. However, we have a lot of unknowns right now with Jill going back to work. I will probably be a last minute IN. If I do come I'll be camping or hoping someone needs a roommate.

I hope you can indeed make it, James.

OK, the folks definitely not making it have fallen off the list. There is still time and rooms for others to commit.

i-kjhPPX3-XL.png

FYI to the following folks:

Ron-M

Ken & Kate Deline

John Ranaletta

Jonathan Creek Inn is showing your reservations as cancelled. I hope that means that means you have made other arrangements (either rooming with someone or staying down the street at another motel or campgrounds).

If you get the chance, let us know. Thank you.

Craig,

Sorry that I did not inform you. Yes, I cancelled the reservations but I am still meeting at the hotel on a daily basis to ride. I had to change my plans because October 3rd is our wedding anniversary. My wife loves the Grove Park Inn in Asheville. So, I am going to kill two, or actually three, birds with one stone. Trailer the bike to Asheville, stay at the Grove Park Inn, meet in Maggie Valley each day and ride with the guys from Panama City. I also have friends that live in Waynesville that we are going to visit Saturday night. Not how I had originally planned the weekend, but it accomplishes a lot.

Craig,

Sorry that I did not inform you. Yes, I cancelled the reservations but I am still meeting at the hotel on a daily basis to ride. I had to change my plans because October 3rd is our wedding anniversary. My wife loves the Grove Park Inn in Asheville. So, I am going to kill two, or actually three, birds with one stone. Trailer the bike to Asheville, stay at the Grove Park Inn, meet in Maggie Valley each day and ride with the guys from Panama City. I also have friends that live in Waynesville that we are going to visit Saturday night. Not how I had originally planned the weekend, but it accomplishes a lot.

Thanks for the update. I just wanted to make certain the hotel hadn't incorrectly canceled your reservation. FWIW I think your plans sound great and are an excellent balancing act. I hope to see you at least a little during FART, but am happy you factored us in!

I will be cancelling completely so there will be a room available. Maybe in the spring for START!

Aw man. I was looking forward to meeting you. Well anyway, I am greatly looking forward to this event. I hope to make START too, however I may not be in the same geographic advantageous position I am now by then. I love riding in the MV and greater Appalachian area in NC and TN. Totally stoked for the event in OCT. I have another event in September in the area to satisfy the hunger....Triumph Dragon Raid to which I will be riding my RT. Just cannot get enough of this place!

I will be cancelling completely so there will be a room available. Maybe in the spring for START!

Well, that's danged unfortunate! Hope to see you in the spring.

In, rooming with the gaseous one.
Holy Cow! How did I miss this. I'm so glad you could make it. One last one before you boogie off to parts unknown.

Well, that's danged unfortunate! Hope to see you in the spring.

I hope so too. This dang new "job thing" is getting in the way of my fun!

Going from 90 days off every year to 15 is quite the adjustment and I am in the phase of "drinking from the fire hose" as I learn this new business.

Life is good.....

Some Summertime Appalachian Riding. I suppose we will have a bit more foliage color variety and cooler temps for the Fall tour. See you out here soon!

DragonUS129_20140713_zpsfc3f6eab.jpg

Thanks, Chris. Below is a link to a video I put together back in 2011 during UnRally X, riding out just west of of Little Switzerland. Despite the poor video quality (well prior to my getting a GoPro), it clearly shows the wonderful roads easily reachable from Maggie Valley.

Clicky for video

We are out as we will be on our bi annual migration back to Florida. Planned on spending the weekend with you guys but since we will have the cat with us the hotel will not let us stay. This would have been perfect for us as we were on our way down there anyway. We will wave as we drive by. :wave:

We are out as we will be on our bi annual migration back to Florida. Planned on spending the weekend with you guys but since we will have the cat with us the hotel will not let us stay. This would have been perfect for us as we were on our way down there anyway. We will wave as we drive by. :wave:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you all can make it in the spring, also.

BTW: What name are you guys on the list? :S

Archived