IGNORED

College Football 2011

beemerman2k

Ahh.....the PSU drama aside......if its possible to theoretically ignore, shouldn't effect much of their traditional game plan. Tom Bradley is taking over as the head coach and will call the Defensive plays (like he has been doing for past 11 years), and Galen Hall will be calling the running plays (like he has for the past 8 years) with Jay Paterno (Joe's son) calling the passing plays. Business as usual, except that old Joe won't be overriding the calls with a random 32 dive on 3rd and long. The elephant in the room is if they can deal with the emotion. I had tickets to the game, but sold them over a month ago because I thought I was going to be too busy to go. Little did I know....... I can only imagine what the atmosphere in Beaver Stadium will be like this weekend. I've been to probably a dozen PSU games in my life and just don't know what to expect. Penn State is a good school in a great town. Going to a game there is almost surreal because of the remote location and the passion that gets brought to the stadium every Saturday.

Being a life long Penn State fan and growing up in the shadows of Mount Nittany, this has been mind numbing in so many ways. I want the house cleaned from top to bottom. I'm sorry to see Joe go, even got a little teary eyed the other night, but I think its the only way I could honestly cheer for the school again. At this point, I only support the players and will cheer THEM on to a hopeful Big 10 championship and a successful BCS bowl bid. I also think the NCAA should allow them to transfer without losing a year of eligibility if they wish. After this season, I figure it will be the beginning of a very long extended dark time for PSU football. I'm OK with that as long as justice is served and the team management and administration is rebuilt with the type of character that the Alumni and fans deserve and we were brought up to expect.

Humbled, embarrassed, disappointed, but still quietly bleeding blue and white..... :cry:

I was really hoping we could differentiat football from child abuse.

C'mon James, you're smarter than than this.

Your post says you edited it; I wonder what you originally wrote :Cool:

I don't mean to associate the two at all, I am thinking in practical terms with respect to that school, the condition of the leadership of it's football program, and its redirecting their focus on healing the damage. If these guys get mopped up tomorrow night, I don't think that's going to do anyone any good. It certainly won't lift the school out of its doldrums.

This situation is unprecedented; it merits stepping back from the edge of competition to reconstruct the program. Rebuild the program from the AD on down, reestablish the priorities, and then come back out on the field ready to roll. Having regrouped like that would send a clear message to the nation that, "that was then, this is now". We are not that team; it's a new day in Happy Valley with a new team, new leadership, new direction.

Maybe that could all be accomplished in a short time, but it certainly won't have happened as of kickoff tomorrow night.

My edit only added the second sentence. Nothing was deleted.

Keith, your post is appreciated, & I feel for you & all Penn. St. Alum & fans. If this happened at Alabama, I have no idea how I'd feel right now.

This is NOT about the university, but rather about a few people employed therein.

Maybe that could all be accomplished in a short time, but it certainly won't have happened as of kickoff tomorrow night.

That may be true for the long run........but I wouldn't want to be Nebraska tomorrow afternoon either. I think Nebraska is lucky its not a night game. If PSU can get through the first possession without self destructing, and manages to give the crowd something positive to hang on to.........you will be hearing "WE ARE" "PENN STATE" half way to Harrisburg.

This is NOT about the university, but rather about a few people employed therein.

As pointed out by Danny, what makes up Penn State University didn't put them in this position. Penn State is a school in rural State College, PA that educates over 44k students a year. On Game day, the tiny town of State College swells into the 3rd largest city in PA (behind only Philly and Pittsburgh). A monster and a small good old boys club of old farts put them in this position. The REAL Penn State is sitting in the student section and the nose bleed seats. The 100k+ fans in the seats, 1000's more tailgating, and the Alumni that were to busy working to catch the game are what makes Penn State what it is. I'm hoping the real Penn State shows up at the game tomorrow and shows their true colors.

Being a life long Penn State fan and growing up in the shadows of Mount Nittany, this has been mind numbing in so many ways. I want the house cleaned from top to bottom. I'm sorry to see Joe go, even got a little teary eyed the other night, but I think its the only way I could honestly cheer for the school again.:cry:

So this is the idea behind Christian Baptism (whether a literal or symbolic form -- immersion, sprinkle, prayer, etc): you are now "born again"; the old is gone and the new has come. Not that Penn State is a "Christian institution", in fact my point has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with enabling the Penn State faithful to once again fully believe in their school and their football program 100%. What I advocate amounts to Penn State undergoing a "baptism" of it's own so to speak; take radical action (such as cancelling the season), tear down, and rebuild. The football program will have been "born again" in the minds of everyone concerned.

Now, the team can retake to the field, the old will be gone -- that was then and this is now, and the nation can once again embrace the Nittany Lions without any hesitation or reservation. THAT's what I'd like to see happen, something along those lines.

On the other hand, firing a guy like Joe Paterno is pretty radical in and of itself. I just wonder if that is enough of an action to symbolize a new, "born again" football program.

OK, I just read Keith's post. Keith, I hope what you describe is exactly what happens tomorrow. That in itself could be a powerful form of "baptism" so to speak, where the school re-emerges as a new creation, once again ready to rumble, yet it's now unambiguously clear to all that this is a team with "clean hands and a pure heart" to put it in Biblical terms. If the faithful lead the way, the nation will certainly follow. And if that happens, then my radical action will turn out to be totally unnecessary.

Penn State probably should have cancelled their season.

And retroactively forfeit. Why should Nebraska, Ohio State and Wisconsin get the benefit?

My edit only added the second sentence. Nothing was deleted.

Keith, your post is appreciated, & I feel for you & all Penn. St. Alum & fans. If this happened at Alabama, I have no idea how I'd feel right now.

Danny,

I feel fairly certain that in the end, we will see that people at Penn State, and offcials in law enforcement, actively conspired to prevent this

from being discovered.

They are not capable of conducting an internal investigation.

There are rumors of events going back to 1995 and members of Pennsylvania law enforcemnt overhearing a verbaql confession by Sqandusky to the parents of a molested child.

This IS about the university. And laws that were ignored and laws that were broken, repeatedly, on the campus of the university, by employees of the university.

This is not about football, it is about people paid to caoch football, people paid to oversee football coaches, people paid to enforce the laws, and others, who actively conspired to keep the Paterno myth alive and actively conspired to turn a blind eye to the raping of children.

Oklahoma just got hit today and will vacate all 13 wins from 2009-10.

Perhaps the NCAA really is growing a set.

If they have, vacating every victory by PSU from at least 1995 (as of now) would be a start.

Paterno knew.

Other coaches knew.

Law enforcement knew.

University officials knew.

They did nothing but prop up Jopa until he had 409 and then threw him in the can.

Too little, too late.

The victims deserve more than allowing this travesty to continue by recognizing a corrupt program, a coorupt university,

and a morally bankrupt coach, from being recognized as "the winningest" anything.

That won't fix anything for the victims but it will send a message to the world and other institutions that crimes of omission and comission will

result in sanctions of the most profound nature.

This is the worst scandal in college sports history.

This is the worst behaviour by the most university employees in a football program ever.

Danny, this isn't about where it happened.

It is about those where it happened choosing to not do what was required.

Special place in hell for all of them.

I can't make the connection as to why the Nittany Lion fb team should vacate thirteen years worth of victories & forfit this season. Child rape/abuse is a completely different matter from football, & it's not thier fault.

Now, vacate JoePa's victories? I don't know, but that's another matter entirely.

You may be right, Tim. But it's late & I'm too tired to do homework on what you report. But I agree whole heartedly with this;

This is the worst scandal in college sports history.

This is the worst behaviour by the most university employees in a football program ever.

One more thing. I tried earlier to get this thread back on football track, but fell guilty of letting it again get side tracked.

Could we PLEASE focus on football GAMES here?

If Penn St must be a topic, how about a separate thread for it?

Danny, I was the first to propose a separate thread.

There is one.

We need to beat Miami today.

Town full, game sold out.

Playing for state,not national title, but huge game.

Go Noles!

How about Houston?

Go Cougars!

Sounds like it was a very emotional day at Beaver Stadium today. The score ended much closer than I would hae guessed. Penn State's football team was on their 3rd head coach since their last game, how prepared could they have been? Ended in a classy fashion, too, with both teams kneeling to pray together. That was classy; brought the game back to its roots -- friendship, character, and the mutual strengthening that comes from competition.

In other news, Boise State hosted unranked TCU today, and LOST :Cool: See? If BSU played in any major conference where every weekend was like a bowl game, they would be considered a so-so team. SEC? Forgetaboutit.

Texas A&M v 17th ranked K-State are locked in a tie in 4th overtime as I type this: 47-47. Wow.

I am shocked Baylor came back and beat Kansas! Baylor was down 24-3 going into the 4th quarter. On any Saturday :smirk:

At this moment, LSU is locked in a 7-7 tie with Western Kentucky :grin:

OSU vs OK will be huge.

Arkansas vs LSU, hmmm, maybe.

With LSU and OK St unbeaten at the end, no brainer.

With everyone, or all but one team, having a loss, chaos.

Still rooting for Georgia to win the SEC just to throw

a big wrench in the monkey.

FSU had perhaps the game with the most official reviews in history starting from first play and taking a TD away from us

(wrong).

Led by 10 at half with no offense.

Had a player ejected who did not leave his feet, hit with his shoulder, never left his feet, just caught an airborne receiver and delivered a big hit.

Had a TD return on kickoff called back, had a TD of muffed punt called back, had a roughing the ounter called when they player ran under the kicker's leg, and just in general got no breaks,

but still won.

Small streak going, hope it continues next week and then into Florida game.

Go Noles!

Beemerman! What's your outlook on the Nebraska-Michigan game this weekend? This actually has the makings of a really good game and the start of a really great rivalry since both teams are in the Legends division. Sadly, Michigan St. will have to lose for either of us to have a chance to make it to the B1G teN championship game this year, but word on the street is that the Huskers might make it to the Fiesta Bowl if we win out.

Both teams are quite similar this season - running QB's who don't pass well, strong D, and ground and pound game plans. Martinez has been throwing much better since the Wisconsin game (140 QB rating since then if you can believe it) but they are all basic safe passes. His throwing mechanics are still horrible. So far this season the Huskers have had trouble stopping the run, so Dennard might pose a problem for us - however I have complete faith in the brothers Pelini ability to coach up our D to stop him. I predict Huskers win 24-21. GO BIG RED!!!

Now we're talkin', time to get back to business!

I think that Michigan and Nebraska have had a rivalry brewing under the radar since the end the 1997 season where the two teams had to share the National Title. That Fall, Michigan was initially thought to have won that honor, even though both teams were undefeated. But it was that game against Mizzou that the Huskers won by a miraculous catch in the end zone that hurt Nebraska's chances. Then, the Corn Huskers QB challenged the voting coaches in the poll, "Who would you rather have to play, Michigan or Nebraska?". That question changed the voting to such an extent that the title ended up shared between the two teams. I think there has been a fight brewing under the surface since than :Cool:

So Saturday should be exciting to say the least!

I don't know what to expect, Michigan is still too sloppy for my liking. The defense is weak and the offense is very weak in the red zone. If Nebraska plays a good physical game, they will win. Michigan wants to win by skill and game plan, much like the Niners of the Joe Montana era. But they dont do so well against the Parcells led New York Giants type teams -- hard hitting physical lunch pale types. That's why both Michigan State and Iowa beat them; they didn't play too nicely which totally screwed up Michigans game plan.

So I'm a bit worried to say the least :smirk:

Sigh... Why can't Michigan fans just be thankful they didn't have to play the Huskers in '97 so they can still cling to their half of the National Championship? Just say thank you for allowing Michigan to share and move on. :grin::wave::lurk:

QB Scott Frost had it right - you didn't want to play against that team! Just ask Peyton Manning.

I'll be travelling this Saturday, so I've been working out a strategy of listening to the game somehow over my iphone as I drive. I'm sure patchy 3G coverage will be driving me crazy.

Well that's just it, we should have been able to settle this on the gridiron! That way, the feud is settled right then and there once and for all.

So at least from the point of view of the fans (these players were kindergarteners when all this transpired), yeah, tomorrow has been a long time coming :grin:

Beemerman,

The Husker QB was right, they were better. Michigan got by Wazzu because of a lame cornerback that couldn't cover a wall with 10 gallons of paint. That game wasn't over until the final tick and Wazzu got robbed on that final chance by the refs. in Michigan's red zone. Bad way to end a good game it was.

Oh, here we go. I'm all for looking forward, but I'm also good with living in the past, 1997 to be exact :grin: Michigan's defense was like a brick wall, an iron curtain, nobody could get anywhere against that D. And sure, that year's Heisman Trophy winner, Charles Woodson, was a huge part of that defense. He had a huge pick on the Cougars in the end zone in that Rose Bowl game if memory serves me properly.

The offense wasn't so hot, Brian Griese's main contribution was that he didn't make stupid mistakes and turn the ball over. But no, he was no Jim Harbough or Tom Brady or Chad Henne, that's for sure.

OK, fine, we take it to the field on Saturday. That's it, I'm gonna call that Michigan locker room and remind them of what took place back then, and tell them that it's payback time :Cool:

See, James? That's why if you were a Bama fan you wouldn't be lost in the past. Jes' sayin'.

Can't help it, I bleed blue and maize :dopeslap:

See, James? That's why if you were a Bama fan you wouldn't be lost in the past. Jes' sayin'.

Have you talked to your doctor about that?

Dr Saban, when he was the head coach at Michigan State, considered it a fatal condition, likely to result in a slow painful death :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I sought a second opinion from Michigan's head coach, Dr Brady Hoke! :thumbsup:

He um, says that it's a condition likely to lead to a slow, painful death :cry:

But today I LIVE! What time is kickoff tomorrow, baby :grin:

Dr Saban, when he was the head coach at Michigan State, considered it a fatal condition, likely to result in a slow painful death :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I sought a second opinion from Michigan's head coach, Dr Brady Hoke! :thumbsup:

He um, says that it's a condition likely to lead to a slow, painful death :cry:

But today I LIVE! What time is kickoff tomorrow, baby :grin:

I might need some pointers from you on hating Michigan State if this pans out.

See, one more reason to be a Husker fun. Turns out bleeding Red is how God intended it! :thumbsup:

Game time is high noon tomorrow. I'll be travelling down I-24 in Kentucky about then. I'm sure AT&T has solid 3G service there, right? I'm planning on streaming my Sirius radio subscription through my phone.

See, one more reason to be a Husker fun. Turns out bleeding Red is how God intended it! :thumbsup:

Game time is high noon tomorrow. I'll be travelling down I-24 in Kentucky about then. I'm sure AT&T has solid 3G service there, right? I'm planning on streaming my Sirius radio subscription through my phone.

I think this is the only way you get service in Kentucky.

OliverDouglas.jpg

I think that Michigan and Nebraska have had a rivalry brewing under the radar since the end the 1997 season where the two teams had to share the National Title.

Share? My shiny metal ass it was shared! That was a retirement gift for Nebraska's coach, one even the pundits couldn't explain. The Wolverines EARNED that title, Nebraska did nothing for it.

I think that Michigan and Nebraska have had a rivalry brewing under the radar since the end the 1997 season where the two teams had to share the National Title.

Share? My shiny metal ass it was shared! That was a retirement gift for Nebraska's coach, one even the pundits couldn't explain. The Wolverines EARNED that title, Nebraska did nothing for it.

:grin:

And I thought politics and oil were toxic issues, this one's gonna blow those topics off the forum :Cool:

Tell you what, I am impressed with how well Iowa State is doing against #2 Oklahoma State. They are a bit out matched, but I love their approach to this game -- they are playing all out, no excuses, no respect, no reservations :thumbsup:

I do too. OSU has built a nice program that can hang with the big boys. This season will only bolster their recruiting in the future. They will only grow from this.

Short of their rich alumni that keeps trashing LSU, it seems to be a program without limits.

Last year's college baseball final series involved two teams from the SEC east so it seems fitting that this year's football national championship game could involve two teams from the SEC west.

Last year's college baseball final series involved two teams from the SEC east so it seems fitting that this year's football national championship game could involve two teams from the SEC west.

Well, LSU still has to get past #6 Arkansas, and now #2 Alabama still has to dispose of Auburn. Probably will happen as the whole world expects it to, but then again, this is College Football :smirk:

Assuming both LSU and Alabama win out the rest of their games, I take it LSU will play the SEC East team in the SEC Championship game -- Georgia, I presume? And if LSU wins that game, then we could see a rematch between these two teams in the National Title Bowl Game, which ever one that is this year? Do I have this right?

Before you moan, would you rather see a rematch of LSU/Oregon?! Me neither! LSU/Oklahoma? Probably would make for a great game right there, but it wouldn't be the best v the best. Face it, a rematch between LSU/Alabama is the right thing to do :thumbsup:

Baloney sandwich.

OSU lost, in 2 OT, but was affected by the plane crash.

However, they are out, for now.

Oregon put up 27 points on LSU and is a much, much, better team now.

Alabama put up 6 points and is arguably worse after the loss.

Oklahoma could win out and be the higher ranked opponent available and deserve the game.

Let the games unfold, but Oregon v LSU was a better game than LSU v 'Bama and both LSU and Oregon have gotten better.

Still not a huge fan of rematches.

We played Florida 5 times in one 3 year stretch with each school winning one of the rematch bowl games.

Watxched Nebraska and Oklahoma in Orange Bowl rematches, not always the best games.

Still rooting for Georgia to win the SEC, go Dawgs, :grin: , so I can listen to all the new proponents of a playoff system join the chorus.

Go Noles!

Baloney sandwich.

Oh yeah, you make it with some tomato slices, extra honey mustard, and some lettuce between 2 slices of honey wheat bread, and toss in a nice cold brew and you got a great sandwich right there. Might be the ultimate, game time lunch! :Cool:

Bring on Bama!

The game will be in Death Valley East. The fans, the party, and the game will be owned by the Bayou Bengals. The Hat is inside little Nick's head and it shows. A second loss to LSU in a title game may cost him his job. Tide fans blew him up after the first loss and the next one will be worse.

If it happens I would hide Mike the Tiger because Tide fans won't have any trees to poison.

GEAUX TIGERS

Just when Nebraska is on a big momentum run, they get called for roughing the kicked on a Michigan punt. I remember a huge nebraska come back on the buckeyes a few weeks ago, so I am a bit worried about momentum in the 4th quarter.

I might have to send another check to the officiating crew :grin:

OK, 45-17 with 7:33 left in the game. I think I can go and tend to my household chores now. Gotta be ready for the 8:00 wave tonight. I wanna see USC v Oregon.

How did Adam Sandler become the Ohio State coach?

They fired Jim Tressell, of course.

I look forward to next weeks annual showdown!

C'mon Trojans, send these Duck's packin'! I need something to silence these anti-Bama critics on this board :grin:

Amazing how quickly Oregon can score. Holy smokes, they have to be the fastest team in all of college sports, including track and field :Cool:

Archived