IGNORED

College Football 2011

beemerman2k

The announcers are saying the entire ball must come over the entire line before it is out of the endzone, and I haven't seen a replay that shows otherwise. Then Ok St held Stanford and scored quickly, it will be forgotten very quickly...

Oh, OK. Learn something new everyday. I watch these games with little to no volume so my kids can sleep.

James, Ohio State and Penn State lost today, I thought you would express some positive thoughts based on these results?

Actually, no, not at this point. In the bowl games, I want as many Big 10 teams to win as possible. As of now, I think Michigan State is the only Big 10 team to win their bowl game. The more teams in a conference lose their bowl games the less seriously that conference is taken. I am very happy in those rare times when all the Big 10 teams win their bowl games.

I was so bummed that Oregon beat Wisconsin. Although I like USC, the PAC 12 are a bunch of California beach bums in my opinion. So I'm a bit embarrassed they beat a premier Big 10 team.

In the bowl games, I want as many Big 10 teams to win as possible. As of now, I think Michigan State is the only Big 10 team to win their bowl game. The more teams in a conference lose their bowl games the less seriously that conference is taken. I am very happy in those rare times when all the Big 10 teams win their bowl games.

I was so bummed that Oregon beat Wisconsin. Although I like USC, the PAC 12 are a bunch of California beach bums in my opinion. So I'm a bit embarrassed they beat a premier Big 10 team.

People in SEC land are quite displeased with Georgia for failing to uphold the conference's honor.

James, Ohio State and Penn State lost today, I thought you would express some positive thoughts based on these results?

Penn State didn't stand a chance with their backup QB Bolden playing the game ( 7/26 for 137yds, 1 TD and 3 ints ). In a tight game where they could grind it out, they would have had a shot with Bolden, but there was no way they were going to win putting the ball in his hands to air it out. He is a terrible passer. They might have had a shot with their normal QB, but even then it would have been very difficult to match Houston's passing game.

Their starter McGloin got in a locker room scuffle with a team mate last week and managed to get himself a black eye and a concussion. Nice going dumbass. Fitting end to the season. Now its time to figure out who the new coach will be.

Their starter McGloin got in a locker room scuffle with a team mate last week and managed to get himself a black eye and a concussion. Nice going dumbass. Fitting end to the season. Now its time to figure out who the new coach will be.

Wow, I didn't know this. Terrible the way this once proud program has imploded. I do hope they can rebuild and return to a strong football program. I hate it when any of Michigans rivals collapse. The weaker the opponent the less significant the victory. I was not at all happy about Ohio State's collapse either.

Wow, I didn't know this. Terrible the way this once proud program has imploded. I do hope they can rebuild and return to a strong football program. I hate it when any of Michigans rivals collapse. The weaker the opponent the less significant the victory. I was not at all happy about Ohio State's collapse either.

Yep. But McGloin was about a C+ QB while Bolden is a C-. Neither would make much difference when the team gives up 500+ yards of offense.

Yep. But McGloin was about a C+ QB while Bolden is a C-. Neither would make much difference when the team gives up 500+ yards of offense.

I agree about McGloin being average, but he protects the ball well, is a good decision maker, and is also a better leader on the field. Bolden is strictly an option QB that looks completely lost 85% of the time. I watched the QB battle at the beginning of the season, and its just a different team when McGloin is in there. Not saying it would have changed the final outcome (you are right about the defense), but I would have to think that another 10-12 completions and 2 less interceptions would have changed the field position enough to make it a more competative game. As soon as the they anounced that McGloin wasn't playing, I knew it was going to be ugly.

As of now, I think Michigan State is the only Big 10 team to win their bowl game.

Purdue beat Western Michigan 37-32, and Illinois beat UCLA 20-14 in bowl games.

and Illinois beat UCLA 20-14 in bowl games.

Which was beyond a doubt the weakest bowl in the history of bowls--a team with a losing record versus a .500 team on a six game losing streak.

At least the coaches were not a weak link.

:dopeslap:

Bunch of exciting games yesterday.

Some poor coaching by Georgia.

Real poor coaching from Wisconsin.

Despite that, plenty of players making huge impacts

and having fun.

Although I like USC, the PAC 12 are a bunch of California beach bums in my opinion.

James,

Have you been to Pullman, WA? It has one hell of a wide beach, the team bus often forgets where the coast is and the team fails to show up for decades. :dopeslap:

Poor Cougars. They've had their moments, just like the Huskies, but its been a while. Huskies are on the come back trail for sure, dont know what Wash St's problem is.

As a Patriots fan, I feel a certain thankfulness to WSU for givIng us Drew Bledsoe, but that was a long time ago.

Virginia Tech has absolutely no respect for Michigan's defense. And why should they? How many 3rd or 4th and long's has VT's offense converted for a first down? OMG.

Hoo that was an ugly win. How that VT touchdown in OT got called back I don't know. It sure looked like 6 to me. Neither team is in a position to talk trash after this game. At least I can relax now.

Hoo that was an ugly win. How that VT touchdown in OT got called back I don't know. It sure looked like 6 to me. Neither team is in a position to talk trash after this game. At least I can relax now.

I think the New York Times nailed it : "the matchup was created primarily because Sugar Bowl officials thought Virginia Tech fans would fill hotel rooms. And thanks to that decision, the game lived down to its uninspired billing for three quarters as the first Sugar Bowl without a top-10 team since 1945.

There were 12,000 empty seats, which prompted much grumbling from fans of the higher-ranked and more deserving Boise State. With the low attendance and lack of buzz, the game provided a three-hour infomercial on why college football’s bowl system is so flawed...

In the end, despite the lackluster matchup, the fans who did make the trip were treated to an exciting conclusion. But the game will most likely be remembered more for what it did not have — the fans who did not come and the teams that did not get chosen — that what it did.

Michigan won a B.C.S. game, but in doing so raised the question of how meaningful a B.C.S. victory really is."

Michigan won a B.C.S. game, but in doing so raised the question of how meaningful a B.C.S. victory really is."

I must say I agree with this article. I love Michigan Football, but they were not ready for that big stage just yet. How they won that game is a total mystery to me. I haven't checked yet, but if you look at the stats, I'll bet VT dominated that game in terms of time of possession, total yards gained, 3rd (and 4th) and long first down conversions. VT should have won that game.

Oh well, it is nice to see Michigan playing better football than they have in some time now. See what a coaching change can do for a team? Total transformation!

I must say I agree with this article. I love Michigan Football, but they were not ready for that big stage just yet. How they won that game is a total mystery to me. I haven't checked yet, but if you look at the stats, I'll bet VT dominated that game in terms of time of possession, total yards gained, 3rd (and 4th) and long first down conversions. VT should have won that game.

Oh well, it is nice to see Michigan playing better football than they have in some time now. See what a coaching change can do for a team? Total transformation!

Here's the box score. Junior Hemingway went to my high school's arch rival.

Congratuations to Michigan on a BCS win and great turn-around season. I might actually start to root for Michigan in the future as long as they are not playing the Huskers.

Also congratulations to South Carolina. They were without a doubt the better team on Monday, despite our Coach Pelini's post game presser saying otherwise. I'm pretty dissappointed with Pelini. Our team has completely fallen apart in at least 4 games this season and that's poor coaching. When things go wrong he explodes at the refs and completely loses focus and the team follows suit. He's hired a bunch on inexperienced young assistant coachs (one golf instructor!) which is ok, but in that case he needs to be more of a hands-on field general which he is not. He's bad with the press and even blames his players after losses. In the post game presser he repeated several times that "We just didn't execute. I can't just wave a magic wand and hope they execute." No, you can COACH them to execute. Focus on the game and encourage and motivate your team. Lead them.

I'm certainly not ready to find a new coach, but I sure hope he matures and starts performing better. Right now he's looking like a great defensive coordinator but a poor head coach. C- performance so far.

I think the New York Times nailed it : "the matchup was created primarily because Sugar Bowl officials thought Virginia Tech fans would fill hotel rooms. And thanks to that decision, the game lived down to its uninspired billing for three quarters as the first Sugar Bowl without a top-10 team since 1945.

There were 12,000 empty seats, which prompted much grumbling from fans of the higher-ranked and more deserving Boise State. With the low attendance and lack of buzz, the game provided a three-hour infomercial on why college football’s bowl system is so flawed...

In the end, despite the lackluster matchup, the fans who did make the trip were treated to an exciting conclusion. But the game will most likely be remembered more for what it did not have — the fans who did not come and the teams that did not get chosen — that what it did.

PLAYOFF!

Imagine how exciting all the close games woulda been the next day if they were gearing up for the next round...

Who really would want to play Oreganders or the Cowboys next week?

For having some great games, OT's, outstanding plays, this is the worst bowl season I remember (which isn't saying much :dopeslap: )

Congratuations to Michigan on a BCS win and great turn-around season. I might actually start to root for Michigan in the future as long as they are not playing the Huskers.

Also congratulations to South Carolina. They were without a doubt the better team on Monday, despite our Coach Pelini's post game presser saying otherwise. I'm pretty dissappointed with Pelini. Our team has completely fallen apart in at least 4 games this season and that's poor coaching. When things go wrong he explodes at the refs and completely loses focus and the team follows suit. He's hired a bunch on inexperienced young assistant coachs (one golf instructor!) which is ok, but in that case he needs to be more of a hands-on field general which he is not. He's bad with the press and even blames his players after losses. In the post game presser he repeated several times that "We just didn't execute. I can't just wave a magic wand and hope they execute." No, you can COACH them to execute. Focus on the game and encourage and motivate your team. Lead them.

I'm certainly not ready to find a new coach, but I sure hope he matures and starts performing better. Right now he's looking like a great defensive coordinator but a poor head coach. C- performance so far.

On the South Carolina discussion boards the idea that Nebraska fans deserve a better coach was common. Seems to me that either one of his meltdowns will just push the school over the edge and they'll let him go, or he'll have a couple of mediocre seasons and that will be used as the rationale to get rid of him.

I also think Florida and Clemson are in the same boat. Neither fan bases are terribly happy with their coaches but they can't both are just successful enough that the schools won't fire them.

Although I don't have any feelings for either team, I'm glad Blue won. I always liked them back in the Schembechler day, & maybe some of that sentiment still lingers.

Oh, & any time a runner intentionally goes 23 yards backwards, they deserve to lose. Good grief!

Gators could be 4-4 before hosting Mizzou on 11/3.

They are done w/SEC schedule at that point before 2 weak teams and then FSU.

Going to Texas A&M will be tough, Georgia/SC/LSU all tough games.

They go 7-6 again, or lose to Ga/FSU, bye bye coach.

Clemson has Auburn/South Carolina out of conference an GT/VT/ FSU

in conference.

They could lose 4 or 5 but who knows.

I think the gator boosters look at Michigan and other schools where new coach brought immediate upswing and want that too.

Who wouldn't?

In the post game press conference Pelini said he felt Nebraska was the better team. The South Carolina DC fired back and said something like if I coached the better team and got beat by 17 points, I'd be concerned.

What a touchdown West Virginia just scored on Clemson. It should have been 6 for Clemson, instead it was 6 for WV. Unreal.

Although I don't have any feelings for either team, I'm glad Blue won. I always liked them back in the Schembechler day, & maybe some of that sentiment still lingers.

Schembechler was the last of the real Big 10 football run teams. He was a class act for sure.

Oh, & any time a runner intentionally goes 23 yards backwards, they deserve to lose. Good grief!

Super sloppy football on the part of both teams. VT beat itself much more than Michigan beat them. Tell you what, I was just dumbfounded all evening that Michigan was even in this game, let alone winning. Can't remember ever seeing a game quite like this one, where the sloppiest team wins in spite of being completely dominated on the field :smirk:

Tell you what, if I were a betting man, I would have put it all on Clemson. I never had much regard for West Virginia's football team. I would have lost the farm tonight! Of course, it's not even half time yet, so it's far from over, but I think Clemson's defense is done. 42-20, West Virginia with 1:13 left in the first half. Wow.

Tell you what, if I were a betting man, I would have put it all on Clemson. I never had much regard for West Virginia's football team. I would have lost the farm tonight! Of course, it's not even half time yet, so it's far from over, but I think Clemson's defense is done. 42-20, West Virginia with 1:13 left in the first half. Wow.

That turned out to be my favorite college football game EVER not involving the University of South Carolina.

According to this morning's Washington Post "A team of physicists at Cornell University has created a wrinkle in time." The Clemson athletic department immediately called to find out if it is for sale.

Now that the touchdown festival of bowl games are over, it's time to start talkin' smack about the champeenship game. I'll start.

The Tide rolls, but not enough to take the title outright. Okay, that's not exactly smack, but I'm trying to be realistic. No matter what, them Cowboys are gonna be screaming that they should have been there.

Nah, OSU needed to win convincingly to have a shot at the title and they did not. If Alabama beats LSU the title is theirs alone.

Nah, OSU needed to win convincingly to have a shot at the title and they did not. If Alabama beats LSU the title is theirs alone.

Yeah, I agree. Alabama would do what no other team has even come close to doing this fall, except Alabama! LSU has made a mockery of everybody else. 'Bama wins and they get all the marbles as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I agree. Alabama would do what no other team has even come close to doing this fall, except Alabama! LSU has made a mockery of everybody else. 'Bama wins and they get all the marbles as far as I'm concerned.

You two are my new favorite best friends. :grin: I sure hope you're right, but I think Bama will have to really hang a whoopin' on LSU to get it all to themselves.

I sure hope they reenforced the roof on the 'Dome when it was rebuilt. It's likely to get blown off Monday night.

Baloney.

OSU won. Was LSU's win over Bama "convincing"?

LSU already did what no one else did.

First go undefeated.

Second beat Alabama.

If Bama wins they are 1 and 1.

Why would the second win equal a title any more than winning the first in the case of rematch?

Remember that 2 of the big advocates at ESPN for the rematch are bama alumni.

Much of the hype has been about money not fairness.

If Bama wins, congrats.

But they split the series.

I'd say 3 way tie, LSU/Bama/OSU

For clarity I hope LSU wins and becomes an "all time" team.

That would simplify things wrt final rankings.

BTW Danny, more games to go before BCS.

:wave:

Whad I miss?

Jan. 6 8 pm AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic

Kansas State vs. Arkansas Arlington, TX

Jan. 7 1 pm BBVA Compass Bowl

Pittsburgh vs. SMU Birmingham, AL

Jan. 8 9 pm GoDaddy.com Bowl

Northern Illinois vs. Arkansas State Mobile, AL

Pitts on their 4th coach in a year.

Big kudos to those players.

Northern Illinois vs Ark St should be an excellent game, better than LSU v Bama.

:lurk:

I'm just pissed that pretty much all of the bowl games are/were on cable (including the so called "National Championship"). It gets worse every year. Pretty crappy that I can't call the cable company and get a 16 day subscription to ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU just for the bowl season. I was really disappointed when I saw the TV listings this year and realized I might get to watch a maximum of 4 bowl games without going to a friends place or the local watering hole.

On top of that, I swear the bowl matchups get worse and worse each year (with a few exceptions). I hope Bama thumps LSU, OSU cries foul, and the whole BCS thing gets dragged through the mud some more. Getting fed up with College football all together. Bring on a playoff!!

I'm just pissed that pretty much all of the bowl games are/were on cable (including the so called "National Championship"). It gets worse every year. Pretty crappy that I can't call the cable company and get a 16 day subscription to ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU just for the bowl season. I was really disappointed when I saw the TV listings this year and realized I might get to watch a maximum of 4 bowl games without going to a friends place or the local watering hole.

On top of that, I swear the bowl matchups get worse and worse each year (with a few exceptions). I hope Bama thumps LSU, OSU cries foul, and the whole BCS thing gets dragged through the mud some more. Getting fed up with College football all together. Bring on a playoff!!

ESPN3--Internet streaming video--is your friend.

ericfoerster

Around the bowl and down the hole.....Roll Tide Roll.

I am here and ready for the game. Bourbon street was insane last night, the most people i've ever seem here. The dome is totally awesome in person when the colors are up. They are doing crimson for "those people"..... and the purple and gold for the home team.

Danny, Harvey Updyke was on Bourbon street last night taking pictures with the Bammers. I sure hope LSU has someone watching Mike as Updyke now lives in weeziana.

Will post some pics on wednesday upon return from this insanity.

GEAUX TIGERS

Danny, Harvey Updyke was on Bourbon street last night taking pictures with the Bammers. I sure hope LSU has someone watching Mike as Updyke now lives in weeziana.

That moron should be run out of the country.

I am here and ready for the game. Bourbon street was insane last night, the most people i've ever seem here. The dome is totally awesome in person when the colors are up. They are doing crimson for "those people"..... and the purple and gold for the home team.

GEAUX TIGERS

I've just become an LSU fan for one night (and one night only).

If Bama wins outright without OT give them the title...If it take OT for Bama to win then split the title...everyone else SORRY CHARLIE

GEAUX TIGERS

I'm with you brother. Geaux Tigers! and Roll Tears Roll!

OldBMWMaster

Did you guys hear why the Clemson team insisted on riding a bus back to SC?

They did not want to see another touchdown.

Oh man, long day today. I had to be out of the house by 5AM, and I have been feeling it all day. I'm finally home, and although I am ready to drop, there's no way I'm missing this game! I'm just hoping there's no OT.

Here we go baby -- this may not be the game that's "fair", but it's the game everybody wants to see :thumbsup::clap:

Archived