IGNORED

College Football 2011

beemerman2k

We're very rural.

Next school east is 50 miles, west is 30 miles, north is 30 miles, south is the gulf.

On a Friday night the stadium is packed and has been for decades.

Seeing future college players/stars can be fun.

Maybe you'll make it through here some season.

:wave:

I would love to come down there on game day. If I do, I'll be head to toe in Michigan gear working the families doing some recruiting on michigans behalf :Cool:

Mon., Jan. 2, 1 p.m. Capital One Orlando Nebraska vs. South Carolina

I only have one comment to make on that:

gamecock.jpg

GO COCKS

Great HS night.

Our high school won in triple overtime to advance to state finals.

:clap:

And, two of the other three playing for state titles from the big bend won the title.

:clap:

Third school [lays today for state and we are up next Friday!

Regardless of outcomes that is 4 of 8 games with winners or finalists from our little neck of the woods.

We knows football.

Go War Eagles! (our school)

Many of these players will be performing for D I schools on a field near you.

Congrats to all the kids.

Aggie new man is Sumlin and I am finally happy with the coach of my boys.

Has anyone ever run the chuck and duck offense in the SEC?

I bet the entire SEC is now scared.

:wave:

So Robert Griffin III from Baylor gets the Heisman. Thoughts?

I watched 2-3 of their games this year and thought that he was absolutely the heart and soul of that team. The Baylor/Oklahoma game was one of the most exciting I've ever watched. He willed them to win when they had no business being in it. I've heard him interviewed, and I'm glad it went to him. He comes off as very appreciative, humble, and appears to have strong character. Unlike quite a few recent cocky arrogant winners, who may succeed in football but ultimately fail in life......I think he was a good choice and wish him luck in the future. :thumbsup:

Well deserved award for him and good press for the Baylor program.

He would have improved almost all, if not every team, if he started for them, IMO.

Steve Spurrier's O lead the country w/over 400 yds passing back in the day.
Steve Spurrier's O lead the country w/over 400 yds passing back in the day.

But defenses caught up with it. SEC coaches are pretty smart. There has to be a reason why they don't try an Oregon or Oklahoma State offensive scheme other than they didn't think of it.

Yes and no.

Spurrier went to the NFL.

Go back and look at Oregon LSU stats.

Oregon had 4 turnovers.

They also were 9/19 on 3rd down, 240 yards passing.

They moved the ball.

Oregon is much better than they were then and most likely so is LSU but you can move the ball on them.

Georgia did (5 drops inc 3 TD's) and Arkanasas did for a while.

Right now the SEC has 2 top temas and 3 next tier.

The rest aren't close.

Oregon would destroy half the SEC on any given Saturday.

So would some other teams and if they played error free, who knows what might happen.

Here's total defens 2011, top SEC teams dominate.

The rest are down the list.

link

So just maybe a good offense could handle the 6-8 avg D's in SEC

and if they had a top quarter league defense they might be top tier.

We'll see, pendelum tends to swing and just like those unstoppable O's of the past that are out of favor now a new sheriff will be in town eventually.

So Robert Griffin III from Baylor gets the Heisman. Thoughts?

I watched 2-3 of their games this year and thought that he was absolutely the heart and soul of that team. The Baylor/Oklahoma game was one of the most exciting I've ever watched. He willed them to win when they had no business being in it. I've heard him interviewed, and I'm glad it went to him. He comes off as very appreciative, humble, and appears to have strong character. Unlike quite a few recent cocky arrogant winners, who may succeed in football but ultimately fail in life......I think he was a good choice and wish him luck in the future. :thumbsup:

I saw an interview with him the morning after, and the host pointed out that he had enrolled early, finished his undergrad degree in three years, and would complete his Masters in Communications this Spring. If he decides to come back, he will have to start on another post grad degree. Outstanding!

Yes, great to see the student in student-athlete.

Christian Ponder did same at FSU, I'm sure there are others but tough to do.

RGIII could actually transfer to another DI school if they offered a program Baylor doesn't (ala Russell Wilson to Wisconsin this year) and play immediately.

Congrats again.

When's the first bowl game? I'm starting to go into withdrawal. :P

Three coming up on Saturday -

Dec. 17 2 pm Gildan New Mexico Bowl Wyoming vs. Temple

Dec. 17 5:30 pm Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Ohio vs. Utah State

Dec. 17 9 pm R & L Carriers New Orleans Bowl San Diego State vs. Louisiana-Lafayette

• 2 weeks later...

Why, on God's green earth, is Boise State playing ASU in this bowl game? ASU looks like a jr high schol football team they look so bad. Why couldn't BSU play Georgia or South Carolina or some other similarly ranked team as they are? What a waste of time.

Why, on God's green earth, is Boise State playing ASU in this bowl game? ASU looks like a jr high schol football team they look so bad. Why couldn't BSU play Georgia or South Carolina or some other similarly ranked team as they are? What a waste of time.

Georgia and South Carolina are in the Outback and Capital One bowls. Both of those have conference affiliations for both participating teams. It's a quirk of the system--it is possible for one team from a non-BCS conference to qualify for a BCS bowl. Other than that they fall way down because all of the top tier non-BCS bowls have conference affiliations. Houston only got a higher profile opponent because of Penn State being mired in scandal.

There would be more justice if none of the bowls had conference affiliations. But that will never happen for two reasons: they could never agree on the selection order, and the Rose Bowl would oppose it. Even then, Boise State is never going to get what it reserves because its fans don't travel in large numbers across the country to bowl sites.

And TCU slept for 3 qtrs.

Until we get a playoff and every game is meaningful...

BTW, notice how the DII/DIII finalists(or semis) had a team that played 5 games on the road to get there?

There is absolutely no valid reason the BCS or NCAA can propose

to negate the need for a playoff, just like every other level has.

Fans want it (polls show up to 86% support), scribes want it, tv would love another "madness"

type tournament.

Vegas would LOVE it.

:grin:

Meanwhile my dog is undefeated through the first bowl games and winning a large pool.

He picks based on mascots.

And TCU slept for 3 qtrs.

Until we get a playoff and every game is meaningful...

BTW, notice how the DII/DIII finalists(or semis) had a team that played 5 games on the road to get there?

There is absolutely no valid reason the BCS or NCAA can propose

to negate the need for a playoff, just like every other level has.

Fans want it (polls show up to 86% support), scribes want it, tv would love another "madness"

type tournament.

Vegas would LOVE it.

Meanwhile my dog is undefeated through the first bowl games and winning a large pool.

He picks based on mascots.

It would be tough on the players to have a 17 game season. You'd almost have to go back to a 9 or 10 game regular season, which would cut into revenues for teams which don't make the playoffs. And it would be a huge economic drain on teams which aren't money makers.

Not advocating for 17, but 14 or 15 yes.

Even better go back to 10-11 game "season" then seed for playoffs.

D II playoff schedule notice the teams played 10-11 games then playoff began.

Five additional games for finalists.

The playoff scenario would generate more interest, more tv revenue.

Just like basketball.

It would eliminate some of the LSU vs NW State type of games.

This year Oklahoma State won 6 games versus the top 30.

Alabama won 2.

A playoff would be fairer IMO to everyone.

USC coming off probation.

10 starters on O return.

Rose Bowl championship game.

Get your bets down early and often.

Here is link to Sagarin ratings.

Check out record versus Top Ten and Top 30.

link

SEC has 4 in top 30, Big 12 has 6 .

Baylor and OK St each played 8 games vs top 30 teams.

Bama played 3.

Not bashing Bama, pushing the facts that this year some teams played a bunch of top 30 teams, tough schedules.

Bama may have run the table with their schedule, we'll never know, but a playoff would show us.

Merry Christmas to all.

The only way I would even remotely support a playoff system is a) limit the number of teams so there are no more than 3 rounds, and b) the playoff teams must all be conference champions, regardless of record. Making the playoffs would have nothing to do with any type of ranking. This takes all subjectivity out of the equation.

the playoff teams must all be conference champions, regardless of record.

I'd take issue with that since the conferences are so unbalanced. You'd have teams like WVU this year and the 2006 Wake Forest team in with this year's Alabama team out.

10 starters on O return.

I am so looking forward to USC football next fall. They are going to dominate the PAC 12! Then, to wrap up a great season, they will face Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Sweet :thumbsup:

10 starters on O return.

I am so looking forward to USC football next fall. They are going to dominate the PAC 12! Then, to wrap up a great season, they will face Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Sweet :thumbsup:

If a Lane Kiffin team was playing al Qaeda I'll pull for the terrorists.

the playoff teams must all be conference champions, regardless of record.

I'd take issue with that since the conferences are so unbalanced. You'd have teams like WVU this year and the 2006 Wake Forest team in with this year's Alabama team out.

Some restructuring of the current conferences would be in order, for sure. With a max of 3 rounds, as I suggest, that means only 8 teams and conferences could be represented in the playoffs. So, the entire conference system would need to be overhauled to ensure all the top schools (realistic contenders) were in the 8 core conferences. Does this eliminate those one off great seasons from second tier schools. Yep, but there is no perfect system.

Using BCS rankings, and eight teams.

LSU (1) vs Kansas State U (8)

Stanford (4) vs Oregon (5)

OK State (3) vs Arkansas (6)

Bama (2) vs Boise (7)

Obviously this rematches Oregon and Stanford.

Could have a swap rule for this or let chips fall.

Since Oregon won initially any change would favor them over STanford/

(But this digresses)

Winners move on.

A 16 team playoff would have 3 rematches this year, but under my system (no conference champ games) one eliminated because that was where they met

LSU (1) v Clemson (15) (a swap from Georgia (16))

S Carolina (9) v Kansas State Univ (8)

winners play

Stanford (4) v Michigan (13)

Boise (7) v Wisconsin (10)

winners play

Ok State U (3) v Georgia (16) a swap from Oklahoma (14)

Arkansas (6) v Va Tech (11)

winners play

Bama (2) V Oklahoma (14) a result of avoiding other rematch games

Oregon (5) v Baylor (12)

winners play

top 2 bracket winners play to get to finals

bottom 2 bracket winners play to get to finals

Interested?

Can Oklahoma move the ball on Bama, enough to win?

Baylor and Oregon?

need a new scoreboard

Boise and Wisconsin?

Broncs for real? Wisconsin 2 plays from unbeaten Boise 1 kick missed

some very good games leading to the championship game, IMO.

Much tweaking needed with schedules and which refs get to do which games but solvable issues.

Or, we can keep letting the little men behind the curtain dictate to us and love it.

Best wishes.

Wow, we've generally been quiet -- indifferent, really -- about all the bowl games that have taken place to date. Nobody's enjoying the pre-'Bama/LSU entertainment?

Enjoyed a few bowl games so far, and now I'm watching Baylor and Washington duke it out in an all-offensive effort on both teams. No defense and equally talented offenses seem to make for a more exciting game.

Wow, we've generally been quiet -- indifferent, really -- about all the bowl games that have taken place to date. Nobody's enjoying the pre-'Bama/LSU entertainment?

Enjoyed a few bowl games so far, and now I'm watching Baylor and Washington duke it out in an all-offensive effort on both teams. No defense and equally talented offenses seem to make for a more exciting game.

I'm looking to the Fight Hunger Bowl since it will be the worst match up in the history of college bowls. It would be karma if it ended 0-0.

Last night was the first time I'd watched Robert Griffin play. Pretty amazing. If I was an NFL executive, I'd strongly consider taking him ahead of Luck. Eventually though I couldn't tolerate ESPN's endless technological glitches and went to bed before the last 100 points were scored.

Indifferece = support for a playoff, IMO.

:)

Well we finally woke up, 300 yds offense, 8 freshman playing offense, survived loss of both starting corners, and beat ND.

Game almost a 24-0 shutout for us but that's how it has gone all year.

This year's senior class 4-0 in bowl games (beating Wisconsin, West Virginia, South Carolina, Notre Dame) FSU extends consecutive years in a bowl (32 years longest in country) we're one of 4 programs (USC, Penn St, Bama, FSU) with at least ten more bowl wins than losses.

Considering we started 60 years after some of the other schools...

Baylor game was entertaining.

RG III can play, deserved Heisman.

HIstory favors Bama in rematch.

Off top of head but 20 some rematches and 6 times team that won regular se3ason game won rematch.

Iowa is an under achieving team this fall, but Oklahoma really has missed the mark. For most of this season I figured they were unbeatable, and really ought to be playing NFL teams. Now? Not so much :smirk:

Shows how much impact one player can have on a college program.

They lose wide receiver, qb throws no more td passes and

they go 1-2.

But last night they had enough to win.

Shows how much impact one player can have on a college program.

Michigan is all #16, QB Denard Robinson. Take him out of the game and Michigan doesn't even have a winning season these past few years.

For the record, I'm with you, Tim in that I'd like to see a playoff as well.

Sign me up as well. Rankings should be removed for this purpose. Conference/win-loss record (like the pros) for seeding. (Though I suppose rankings could be used to assist seeding).

Use the bowl games as first- & second-line playoff games then a championship game to decide the winner.

Stanford dodged a big bullet! It should be their ball on their own 1" line!

The announcers are saying the entire ball must come over the entire line before it is out of the endzone, and I haven't seen a replay that shows otherwise. Then Ok St held Stanford and scored quickly, it will be forgotten very quickly...

James, Ohio State and Penn State lost today, I thought you would express some positive thoughts based on these results?

Archived