IGNORED

College Football 2011

beemerman2k

I will spend 8 hours in a truck with her spewing stats and reading player profiles between youtube versions of Neck and All we do is win. Its going to be a fun weekend.

Don't let her read the stats. It'll just depress her. :grin:

Really?? Lowly Iowa State tore up Texas Tech who just beat the mighty Sooners. What a season!! Wisconsin loses two heartbreakers in a row! Minnesota beats Iowa. Wow! I love college football. LSU and Alabama this week. This is really the best time of year...

Early line on Nebraska vs Michigan: Michigan favored by 2pts.

How am I going to enjoy the LSU @ Alabama game tomorrow when I still have no power? Lost it last saturday and we are not scheduled to have it again until Sunday night/Monday morning sometime. This will be a long hard winter if this area keeps losing power for days on end when a big storm comes along. This is our second multi-day power outage in 2 1/2 months. This will not be fun in february!

How am I going to enjoy the LSU @ Alabama game tomorrow when I still have no power? Lost it last saturday and we are not scheduled to have it again until Sunday night/Monday morning sometime. This will be a long hard winter if this area keeps losing power for days on end when a big storm comes along. This is our second multi-day power outage in 2 1/2 months. This will not be fun in february!

You are welcome to come watch with me and my gang. It will be an experience you won't forget...

Yes, I am following the scores with my iPhone. Of course, all these games are is pre-game entertainment leading up to the main event: LSU @ Alabama :smirk:

Michigan is not that good a team, so I am disappointed but not surprised. Right now they're like the Florida State of the Big 10, serious under-performers :Cool:

James,

I believe that the third down play at the end was a touchdown, and the Wolverines should have had their chance at two for the tie. Zebras didn't agree.

I will be out of touch tonight and will miss the big game. I hope it lives up to the hype, but I would be rooting against Alabama because of Saban.

The controversy is reaching my ears already. Nonetheless, Michigan had a first and goal at Iowa's 3 and still couldnt knock it in with 3 other shots. Not good at all.

OK Cornhuskers, you can turn it on any time now. In fact, NOW would be a good time to do so!

Whip, the Sooners are no joke.

OK Cornhuskers, you can turn it on any time now. In fact, NOW would be a good time to do so!

Whip, the Sooners are no joke.

Dadgum, they lose the leading receiver in football for the season.

:(

Broyles brought them to another level.

Without him the Ok State game is going to be a different maatchup.

Without a league championship game, if OK State can win the bedlam matchup are they knocking on BCS?

No go for the Huskers.

Surprising.

Wow! This is a game!

I'm luvin this LSU @ Bama game. This is the pinnacle of the season right here. When these 2 explosive teams can be so well contained you know you're watching 2 closely matched teams.

In other news, how did Nebraska lose that game today?!

Checking in on the road. Leaving Bama's house after one heck of a game. I will say on the positive side that most of the Bama people were very nice. The stadium is awesome and every bit as loud as Death Valley. The game fought On the defensive side and a fight it was.

The only bummer was the parking lot in mall where the shuttle dropped my wife and I off. Two little Bama brats pulled up as the wife and were getting in the truck and gave us 10 minutes to clear out or they were going to pop a cap in our a##. There are two very lucky young men in Alabama tonight as my right hand was resting on a Glock 19.

GO TiGERS!

Ps....i won't be returning to Bama for a game. Once was enough of a close call for me.

Eric...you should be commended for your restraint.

As far as the game goes. It looked like two teams trying not to lose. I would not be surprised to see LSU lose a game before the season is over. I was not impressed with either team. I don't knowif it was the fear of choking or a lack of confidence in their players by the coaching staffs. It reminded me of 1970's Ohio State/Michigan football which always ended in a Rose Bowl whoopin. The defenses were good, but the play calling and execution on both sides was weak.

YMMV

:grin:

Larry, big 10-4.

Boring game, if it wasn't #1 v #2 people woulda switched to Ok State KSU game.

Saban blew so many calls, including putting injured player back to get a punt and after the game blaming the player when the kid couldn't move laterally to field it.

No class.

After the game Miles was asked about rematch and he was classy

crediting 'Bama and saying he would be honored.

But puhlease, no rematch.

'Bama's kicking game is so bad it isn't even funny.

Last time I saw anything so bad was FSU vs Penn State 3ot bowl game where both kickers missed game winners 3 times and FSU missed an extra point.

Game was overhyped and the defenses played well at times, but the O choices were poor to laughably predictable.

I wonder if any of the QB's on the field could run the Stanford, Oklahoma, OK State, Oregon, etc. offenses?

I enjoy defense, but only when it is responding to some offense.

I hopeArkansas wins out and we see Boise and Houston in the BCS game. :grin:

Tim, LSU did beat Oregon. My guess is that Bama or LSU would make short order of both Houston and Boise. Thats where strength of schedule comes into play.

I also love OSU, but those boys have no defense and I think it would be a walk for LSU. This national championship is a home game for LSU if they win out. We may get to see that as THE game.

I really think that crystal ball will be in Baton Rouge years end.

No argument.

I'm a playoff advocate.

Every year you can take the team A beat B, who beat C, who beat D, so A can beat D scenario.

If the only unbeaten teams are Boise and Stanford, let them play.

Look at St. Louis in baseball.

Best team at end of the year, but not the best record and certainly not winner in strength of schedule.

LSU will most likely run the table, OK, no problem.

I just don't want to see a rematch based on hype which turned out to give us a snoozefest.

Now OSU vs LSU?

Who knows.

What if the boyz can move the ball?

They'd also give up points to LSU but if they scored at even 1/2 their typical pace????

And Boise?

Every one said they couldn't hang w/Oklahoma.

Result?

One of the best bowl games ever.

I'd rather watch a game like that one (Boise/Ok) than the one last night that's all.

Enjoy the win.

:wave:

I don't know if I really agree with this characterization of the game as "playing not to lose". I saw a game where none of the quarterback(s) were all that effective, and defenses that will make you pay dearly for anything less than 100% well executed, and therefore coaches that had to be ultra-conservative or the whole thing could blow up in their faces. Exhibit A would be that Alabama play that should have resulted in a first and goal at the 1/2 yard line, and instead it was called an interception. Bad throw, bad catch, excellent defense. Bama's tailback had moments of brilliance, too, but clearly he had a bad ankle and couldn't really explode.

My only disappointment from the game was Alabama's performance in overtime. That was flat our inexcusable! My only other gripe is that Alabama didn't go for it as time wound down, they simply let the clock run down. Why not take a shot or two with only seconds left in the game?

The teams were extremely well matched, and therefore it came down to who ever makes the greatest mistakes will lose. Therefore, "let's not make any mistakes" was the game plan for both teams. But I knew all evening that this game plan would eventually break down, and it did on a few occasions -- Alabama's kicking game, that botched play that should have resulted in 6 for 'Bama that I mentioned earlier, LSU's (and 'Bama's) interceptions. And of course, Alabama in overtime was the ultimate game plan collapse.

I am not at all disappointed with what I saw last night, only with the outcome of the game, which I place squarely on Alabama's shoulders. Alabama lost that game. That's not taking anything away from LSU at all, but Alabama could have won that game in spite of LSU's best efforts.

Anybody seen Danny? I hope he's OK. Someone ought to go and check on him. Look for someone in BMW motorcycle gear lying down in the gutter drunk out of his mind :smirk:

But James, the "'Bama lost LSU coulda been beat hype" is what will lead to a rematch and deprive other deserving schools a chance, IMO.

The SEC backers should be crying for a playoff.

If things work out like it "should" for them, every SEC team woould advance until 2 of them played for the title.

No questions, just on the field.

REcruits would line up even more to play for those schools.

Win, win.

Until then, they played, LSU won, get over it is my feeling.

I really would (not anti LSU) like to see Georgia and Arkansas play for the SEC, Georgia win, and the BCS have some hard choices to make.

Meanwhile they'll keep playing and eventually someone will deserve to play for the title.

I've watched many SEC games this year. Most have issues at QB position, compounded by defense oriented league.

As the NFL becomes more wide open (again) I just hope the college game doesn't return to the Big Ten 3 yds and a cloud of dust philosophy.

There was more excitement in 1/2 of the fourth quarter of Michigan/Iowa than in the whole LSO/'Bama game, again, IMO.

Best wishes.

The LSU game was exactly as predicted. Most people knew that it was going to be a low scoring event due to the defensive abilities of both teams. They were playing for the win and they were playing tight. I wouldn't say it was boring and there were about 100k people at the game who were worn out after the game. Watching a 42 to 42 pitch and catch with no defense gets pretty boring too. This game was an exceptional display of defense and I enjoyed for what it was. These were probably the two best college coaches doing battle with two of the best teams this year.

They were playing for the win and they were playing tight.

That's how I saw it, was a great game in that light.

Beemerman, I looked on both sides of the road for Danny today so I'm sure he's ok. He should be back to his old self in a few days, certainly by the weekend. Time heals all wounds ya know. :grin:

Tim: it's done and over with. LSU won, time to move on. Theres no going back, I agree. I haven't looked at the numbers yet, but I would think Alabama gained more offense and gave up fewer yards than LSU did. if this were a boxing match, alabama would have been ahead on points with my score card. But LSU got the technical knockout in the 15th round!

I still have no power at my house. It's been out since the freak snow storm a week ago yesterday. This is startInc to get old.

These two boring offenses were producing slightly over 39 PPG each. The score was just a testament to the quality of defense being played. Urban Meyer called LSUs defense the best he'd ever seen, although I thought Bamas was as good if not better. It was a game of chess. Equivalent to baseball's small ball. Both teams MO was to wear down opponents D by pounding and once worn deliver the fatal blows but both teams had the depth to not wear down.

Stats were very close with Bama having an edge in passing and LSU in rushing. Time of possession was statistically even, only 12 seconds between the two. Bamas D beat LSUs O. LSUs D beat Bamas O. LSUs special teams beat Bamas...

Hutch that is correct.

I still have problems that neither the Hat nor Satan could come up with any way to attack/mismatch/confuse/trickerate the other's defense.

They knew waht they were facing, had a lot of time to plan, an off week to implement.

The best they come up with is a pass from a wideout with a sprained ankle.

So my issue isn't with ppg against other teams, nor the quality of the defense.

Tis the coaches who couldn't/wouldn't/didn't and the coach who insisted on bringing out kickers with no hope rather than giving another player a chance to make a play.

I thought Bama would win.

I thought they had better QB and running game.

Thought LSU had more impact players on D.

D and kicking game won the game for LSU.

The punter ws their MVP, IMO.

I can love a 3-0 game.

I can't get excited when the coaches won't risk more than they showed and especially Bama who seemed to be stuck in Groundhog Day II The Kicker.

Good luck to both teams.

We have other fish to fry this week.

Go Noles!

Bit of an issue developing at Penn State. I hope that when the smoke clears its not as badly as what I am hearing in the media today. Yes, crimes involving children are always bad, but I do hope it's less bad than what I see in media reports.

James,

might need it's own thread?

The remarks made by all of the Penn Staters, inc JokePa,

disgust and sicken me.

Jopa sez, "I reported the one incident" and later disclaims "he didn't work for me then".

BS

They try to say since the victim wasn't a PSU student they weren't required to go to police/etc

BS

What person in their right mind would not follow up until some resolution?

An assault in the footbgall team's locker room, and in the showers?

Can't have it both ways (even if it were a moral defense) by saying "I did my duty and reported it to ADept" and then say no duty because not an employee, and no duty becasue not a student at PSU.

BS

As a parent, and a professional with a statutory duty to report, I call BS on the entire heirarchy at Penn State.

This is so disgusting and went on for years.

Numerous incidents reported (that we know of), and given even if unproved, a duty to report went way beyond telling someone higher in the AthDEpt.

Then let him come back for years?

No way!

Smacks of lack of institutional control, I dare the NCAA to do what should be done.

I decry JoePa and his staff, the AthDept, and anyone with knowledge of allegations who did not immediately do

what is the expected thing, the right thing, the moral thing, the ethical thing, and immediately bring child services and law enforcement on board.

A pox on those who let this happen.

I would be fired and sued if I acted like they did, and deservedly so.

Disgusting.

Tim, I chose not to create a new thread because I hope this matter is just a flash in the pan, over hyped media incident that will be greatly tempered when the facts finally surface. No doubt someone will create a thread dedicated to this topic so as not to pollute this thread with the material, and for what it's worth, I am fine with that.

I have a world of respect for JoePa and I would like to think that he wouldn't have tolerated this kind of nonsense on that campus. So I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until the facts come out. Having said that, I do agree that it's not looking at all good for him at the moment.

Here's my ultimate question for the coach: why take anything less than a firm stand on this issue? Job or not, law or not, policy or not, why not do the right thing? No DC is so vital to a program as to risk this kind of shame on a life's work, or to risk further harm to more children! So why risk it?

James, years ago jopa had a player expelled.

Jo let him play in the bowl game because, "he was expelled for the second semester and that doesn't start until January X".

Technically correct, maybe.

Ethical/moral or win the game choice?

He lost my respect then.

And no matter what the "facts" are in a case like these.

Duty call.

He did not respond.

And maybe coming back to football, a last #1 vs #2 comment from this week.

A little comparison.

20 years ago a #1 vs #2 game was played.

There were 55 NFL players, 21 All-Americans, 2 Heisman Trophy winners, 8 first round picks, 12 second round picks, a Unitas Award winner,the Thorpe Award winner, and the Butkus & Lombardi Award winner, all in the game.

The game came down to a field goal.

So, when y'all talk about awesome defenses/teams, yep I agree, Bama and LSU are that.

But, they weren't the first, won't be the last, and I would argue that despite the incredivble level of talent on the field. there have been games where the coaches did a better job.

The game?

FSU vs Miami, the first 'wide right" game.

Ironically, the kick would've been good except the goal posts were moved that season to make them narrower.

I was lucky enough to be at that game, and to those who were at Bama/LSU, enjoy the memories.

Go Noles, beat Miami!

The PSU incident is going to grow i'm afraid. the disgust will be unbearable. have a client who's dad is a major PSU booster. they are appalled, disgusted and have no idea what is next.

the victims deserve whatever the cards play out. this will not be pretty.

I thoroughly enjoyed that game, and the ensuing ones the following 2 or 3 years later that ended on a similar note: Fla State kicking wide right field goals to lose the games. I remember being impressed with Bobby Bowdens cool about it all. Were that the Gators, Spurrier would have been yelling and screaming and whining and bitching and...

And the FG gods gave him a break when Nebraska missed at the end of the Orange Bowl following '93 season so he won 1st National Title.

Got to be at that one too.

Anybody seen Danny? I hope he's OK. Someone ought to go and check on him. Look for someone in BMW motorcycle gear lying down in the gutter drunk out of his mind :smirk:

Thanks for thinking of me, James, but other than a cold I'm fine. I thought it was a great game except for the missed opportunities & final score. Although I'm disappointed, it's not the end of our season by any means. Still lots more ball to be played amongst the top 4, & somebody's gonna lose.

The PSU incident is going to grow i'm afraid. the disgust will be unbearable. have a client who's dad is a major PSU booster. they are appalled, disgusted and have no idea what is next.

the victims deserve whatever the cards play out. this will not be pretty.

Looks like they want Joe to step down. Terrible way to go.

agree and at this point i'm giving jopa the benefit of the doubt re disclosure. he may have done exactly what he said based on what he was told. we will find out, but it appears he may pay the price.

i truly hate this crap and wish nothing but eternal hell for the guilty, if proven so.

agree and at this point i'm giving jopa the benefit of the doubt re disclosure. he may have done exactly what he said based on what he was told. we will find out, but it appears he may pay the price.

i truly hate this crap and wish nothing but eternal hell for the guilty, if proven so.

Brian,

Allegations go back over 13 years.

Reason Sandumbsky stepped down in 1999.

JoPa knew then.

Lack of Institutional control.

They allowed Sandusky to hold camps on satellite PSU campuses for 6 more years after the 2002 incident was reported to JoPa.

JoPa knew.

Timing of all this the week after JoPa gets his recognition.

They all knew.

Regardless.

Children being raped.

Shame on all of them.

Clean house.

Strip all the wins from at least 1998.

Set an example.

Never happen.

So much for legacy.

As usual when we put things high on pedestals they can fall down and hit ya in the head and most the time it really hurts....

. Although I'm disappointed, it's not the end of our season by any means.

I think you are right about that.....Guess I'm back to my last card to play...... GO SEC !!!!! :grin:

Tomorrow night Bama gets their thumping game back against Miss. St. Nebraska spanks Penn St, but shows class & doesn't celebrate the win. Stanford losses a close one to Oregon.

What else?

I am still mesmerized by this whole fiasco at Penn State. You have got to be kidding me! I thought the off season when Ohio State and U of Miami getting grilled was bad for College Football, but that's nothing compared to this. Holy smokes.

Tomorrow night's Nebraska @ Penn State should have been the 2nd greatest game of the weekend, with Oregon at Stanford being the only other one of top team v top team. Now, however, I am wondering why that game will even take place. I'd hate to be a player on the Penn State football team; they just experienced the week from hell! Do they even know who's coaching tomorrow? Is there a game plan? Do the starters know who they are? Is anyone even going to watch that game -- aside from Nebraska fans?

Penn State probably should have cancelled their season.

Archived