IGNORED

College Football 2011

beemerman2k

If Georgia could catch a football, they'd have a HUGE lead on LSU by now, and we're still in the first quarter!

I am sick for Georgia. Dropping touchdown passes left and right, and now they missed a field goal attempt. Incredible.

If Georgia could catch a football, they'd have a HUGE lead on LSU by now, and we're still in the first quarter!

I am sick for Georgia. Dropping touchdown passes left and right, and now they missed a field goal attempt. Incredible.

They finally caught one. Still three to go, though. RUFF RUFF!

No first downs in the first half for LSU, & they're only down by three. I'm afraid UGA's mistakes & miscues on offense will be their death in the second half.

Grats to the Tigers. A great finish to a team that plays like champions.

Who's next? Will Bedlam play a role? We'll know three hours from now.

OSU looking good so far. I am not sure they could move Bama out of that #2 slot even if they win big.

I would guess that its Bama for the second game of the century.

As a South Carolina alumnus, I despise seeing Clemson ever win but I think their domination of VT showed how weak the ACC is. VT's strategy of playing a Boise State-type schedule came back to bite them.

OSU looking good so far. I am not sure they could move Bama out of that #2 slot even if they win big.

Well they did win big.

And they are a conference champion.

Not a 3rd place finisher in their conference.

Leave the emotion out of it.

OSU one missed field goal from unbeaten.

Wins conference.

Alabama one (or two or three or whatever) missed field goals from

who knows?

Finish second in division, third in conference.

OSU has the best cred among one loss teams.

They should paly for the title.

If they had lost to OK there would not be any other one loss teams

to throw in the mix after yesterday's outcomes and a different argument could be made.

But OSU did win.

Let them play, Bama had their chance, Cowboy up!

Well they did win big.

And they are a conference champion.

Not a 3rd place finisher in their conference.

Leave the emotion out of it.

OSU one missed field goal from unbeaten.

Wins conference.

Alabama one (or two or three or whatever) missed field goals from

who knows?

Finish second in division, third in conference.

OSU has the best cred among one loss teams.

They should paly for the title.

If they had lost to OK there would not be any other one loss teams

to throw in the mix after yesterday's outcomes and a different argument could be made.

But OSU did win.

Let them play, Bama had their chance, Cowboy up!

+1

..not to mention the plane crash before the game.

Man Eric I'm glad I was not following this thread during the game - these guys were starting to bury us! Great win! 2011 SEC Championship feels good. I look forward to whoever the BCS puts in the game. All that rushing damage was done by sophomores and freshmen. The 4th string back had the most yards, followed by 3rd, 2d and 1st! This also means that we have 12 straight recruiting classes that will have been to a BCS championship game. Special season - hope we finish...

I agree! Give OSU a shot.

It was war in our house last night as I am an OU alum and Katy is an OSU alum. Boy, did we ever stink up the town!

I am all for an OSU LSU game. I think their strength of schedule and wins against ranked teams puts them in the big game for sure.

I think ESPN and the the talking heads are hoping for the Bama rematch to bomb the BCS. A playoff system will make the networks more money and a longer season. More commericals to sell and air time for them to spew their trash.

I loved the way at the end of the game they were saying LSU looks like they are in.

REALLY..........pulleeeease.

I will not turn on ESPN for any reason now. It is clear their motivation is greed. Listening to that group has soured me this season.

IMO, LSU should be awarded the nat championship right now. There is no need to play a game. They went undefeated, won the SEC championship and beat the number 2 team on the road. There is nothing else to prove.

I agree with RussL in this sense: they have beat all comers, bar none. BUT, sorry, you don't get to call it a day until there are no more games to play. So they have one more, then they can rest and enjoy their accomplishments.

OSU? OK, we'll see. I hope they give us the game of the century, and maybe even an upset. Otherwise, I'll be lamenting the absence of Alabama, the only team to seriously threaten LSU this fall.

Michigan v Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl!

I am hyped just thinking about this game. One of these teams are pretenders and we'll find out who on New Years Day (assuming that's the day of the Sugar Bowl).

I can only hope LSU puts a big fat exclamation point on this game like they did against Arkansas and Georgia, but Alabama will be tough, no doubt. Let's just hope it's a more exciting game than the last one.

Well, I'm happy. This is exactly what I wanted to see happen:

"The Crimson Tide edged out Oklahoma State in the final round of voting Sunday and will play the top-ranked Tigers in the BCS national championship game on Jan. 9 in New Orleans."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-bcschampionship

National Championship? When you see words like "edged out in voting" how can it be seriously considered a championship game?

The 6th,7th, 8th, and 9th rank teams don't play in a BCS bowl but the 11th, 13th and 15th ranked teams do. Great system. I'm hoping The View is on during the Sugar and Orange bowls so I'll have something to watch.

What did I say? Plenty of bitchin' to go around, & The Game hasn't even been played yet.

You said that you were staying out of it.

;)

LSU beat Pac champ and are the SEC champs.

Beating Big 12 champ would be fitting.

'Bama beating LSU proves nothing.

1-1 doesn't make you better.

So, are we going to have co-champions if 'Bama wins?

I'm not watching it as no matter what the outcome nothing is settled.

LSU clearly the team this year.

Playoff would settle this as #1 and #2 seeds could meet in finals, earning their way there on the field.

And lest anyone think I'm not aware that FSU has benefitted from the system,

"In 2000, Miami was shut out of the BCS National Championship Game. Despite beating Florida State head-to-head and being ranked higher in both human polls, it was the Seminoles that were chosen to challenge the Oklahoma Sooners for the national championship. The Seminoles were also chosen over Washington, who also had one loss and who had handed Miami its only loss early in the season. Washington had been ranked third or fourth in the human polls, behind Miami. The Hurricanes went into the 2001 Nokia Sugar Bowl as the Big East champions and defeated Florida 37–20."

So, nothing new, the "system" is flawed andhas neede fixing since last century.

Playoff or nothing!

Blah blah blah, Tim. Same old tired story.

And what I said about staying out of it was I wouldn't bitch about the outcome. Pay attention.

Well Danny, it may be a tired story, but it is based on some criteria.

Head to head, one team won.

Objective.

The criteria for a rematch seems based on emotion and "feelings".

Subjective.

Ratings for the game will tell what the general public

think rather than the elitist know nothings who vote in some of the polls.

:lurk:

Look at the recent rematches.

Wisconsin wins over MSU and wins Big 10, Clemson beats VT for a second time, wins ACC.

One game interesting, one game a snoozer.

Other than fans of the 4 teams not sure john q had a great interest in the outcome.

BCS has overplayed its hand.

Too many bowl games, too many 6-6 teams and teams with losing records in the postseason.

If we can include all of them in postseason experience then seed 'em and play the tournament.

Y'know, yous guys r right, I'm boycotting this game.

Let's see, what else is on that night....

- oh, Desperate Housewives! In this episode, Mary feels that Cindi feels depressed, but could it simply be that time of the month, or are the problems more serious? Let's see if George is a sensitive husband.

- ohh, are you a stressed, middle aged woman longing for old English Earl Grey Tea? The Home and Garden Chanel is for you!

or, I suppose, there IS a game on :Cool:

You guys enjoy the boycott; your wives will be so happy!! :clap:

OK Danny, looks like it's just you and me for the game that night!

Wow, look at sanctioned suspended and ostracized USC, they finish their season ranked #5 in the AP poll! I am amazed with their season. They definitely deserve the overachievers award this year.

Arrogant so-cal brats...that can play football!

Uh oh, do I detect an Alabama v USC major bowl game coming up as soon as sanctions are over?! Oh please football gods of the land, make it happen :grin:

Will Kiffin recruit?

Whose players are winnning?Most likely continue to draw based

on location and tradition.

Bigger question, where will the peripatetic Saban be then?

:grin:

More than one NFL team will court him this year.

Hmmm, we beat USC the only two times we played them and 'Bama last time, hope that augers well for us.

Some credit due the players who chose to stay and honor their

pledge, unlike the coach who brought them there.

I don't see the NFL courting Saban given his record there. I can't think of a successful college coach that went on to be successful in the NFL. May have happened, but I can't think of one.

Oh, James, bring on a PAC-10 champ against Bama in the Rose Bowl, or anywhere else for that matter. :Cool:

It is not a perfect system. Even if you have a four team playoff then 5 and 6 will be mad. It's human nature. One of my philophies in life is "a good understanding makes for a long friendship". All of the BCS schools bought into the system and agreed to abide by the rules and accept the outcome. That is why Gundy handled it with the class he did. He knew they had agreed before the competition started. In bb we have a 64+ team tourney and we have teams mad every year...

I did however find it classless the Nick voted OSU fourth behind Stanford when everyone knew it was a two ream race for 2d after OSU destroyed OU.

All of the BCS schools bought into the system and agreed to abide by the rules and accept the outcome.

And there's the rub. The schools may have bought in, but the fans have not.

I don't see the NFL courting Saban given his record there. I can't think of a successful college coach that went on to be successful in the NFL. May have happened, but I can't think of one.

Jimmy Johnson, former coach of the Miami Hurricanes, then coach of the Dallas Cowboys. National Championship and a couple of Super bowls.

Barry Switzer of the Oklahoma Sooners and the Dallas Cowboys.

So far, Jim Harbough of the Stanford Cardinals and now the San Francisco 49'rs.

Oh, James, bring on a PAC-10 champ against Bama in the Rose Bowl, or anywhere else for that matter. :Cool:

:grin:

Now all we have to do is...wait.

I don't think either LSU or Bama are as good as many other prior champions. Off the top of my head I believe both the Miami and University of Washington squads from 1991 would have toasted either current contender. I think they're both very good teams at the top of a mediocre pile.

Wade,

the rules have changed a lot over the past 20-30 years making comparisons fun, but difficult.

Blocks that were legal back then aren't now, breaking the huddle with more than 11 players, roughing the kicker, time run offs, tie breaking, and so much more has changed.

There have been outstanding players in every era.

The great teams stand out for various reasons, when compared to their peers, and when looked at in the perspective of comparison to previous ones.

Because LSU is unbeaten, so far, I think that elevates them above one loss teams.

The 1999 FSU team was first to go wire to wire #1 and unbeaten in the BCS era.

That makes a statement.

LSU is one game away from making a very loud statement.

If they lose I think they have a valid argument to be co-champs.

I don't think either LSU or Bama are as good as many other prior champions. Off the top of my head I believe both the Miami and University of Washington squads from 1991 would have toasted either current contender. I think they're both very good teams at the top of a mediocre pile.

Alabama thumped Miami in the '92 Sugar Bowl for the NC if you'll recall.

I had forgotten about Jimmy Johnson, but I wouldn't put Switzer in the same conversation. He inherited a SB team from Jimmy & coasted to win he could hang his hat on, but after that they went downhill pretty fast, & he hasn't been heard from since.

I would rather see OSU playing LSU for the title. Bama had their chance at home and couldn't get it done. The Big 12 (or whatever it is now) is still a fairly stout conference. Let their champ OSU take on the SEC champ for the Mythical National Championship.

Here's condensed version of the Bowl Schedule, listing only games I have any interest in. I've cut it down to 12 from 35 (wow, 35 bowl games is just too many!)

Thu., Dec. 29,5:30 p.m. Champs Sports Orlando Florida State vs. Notre Dame

Thu., Dec. 29, 9 p.m. Alamo San Antonio Baylor vs. Washington

Fri., Dec. 30, 10 p.m. Insight Tempe, Ariz. Oklahoma vs. Iowa

Sat., Dec. 31,Noon Meineke Car Care Houston Texas A&M vs. Northwestern

Mon., Jan. 2, 1 p.m. Outback Tampa Georgia vs. Michigan State

Mon., Jan. 2, 1 p.m. Capital One Orlando Nebraska vs. South Carolina

Mon., Jan. 2, 1 p.m. Gator Jacksonville, Fla. Ohio State vs. Florida

Mon., Jan. 2, 5 p.m. Rose Pasadena, Calif. Oregon vs. Wisconsin

Mon., Jan. 2, 8:30 p.m. Fiesta Glendale, Ariz. Oklahoma State vs. Stanford

Tue., Jan. 3, 8:30 p.m. Sugar New Orleans Michigan vs. Virginia Tech

Fri., Jan. 6, 8 p.m. Cotton Arlington, Texas Kansas State vs. Arkansas

Mon., Jan. 9, 8:30 p.m. BCS title game New Orleans LSU vs. Alabama

USC gets another chance to beat Nebraska...yeah.

I'm looking forward to that game. Last year the Huskers slept through bowl preparation and got clubbed by Washington after beating them handily earlier in the year. I bet Pelini has them better prepared this year.

I am all for an OSU LSU game. I think their strength of schedule and wins against ranked teams puts them in the big game for sure.

I think ESPN and the the talking heads are hoping for the Bama rematch to bomb the BCS. A playoff system will make the networks more money and a longer season. More commericals to sell and air time for them to spew their trash.

I loved the way at the end of the game they were saying LSU looks like they are in.

REALLY..........pulleeeease.

I will not turn on ESPN for any reason now. It is clear their motivation is greed. Listening to that group has soured me this season.

I knew there was angle from ESPN. They were pushing hard for the last month, almost begging. Now I know why:

OBVIOUS GREED

Perhaps a jamboree, ala high school football, was in order.

Each team plays a half against the other (LSU/Bam/OSU) and winner takes all.

So, Charley Weiss is the answer for Kanansasa?

We'll see.

James,

Four schools from the big bend area up here are still in the running for state titles. (eight classifications fo 4/8)

Three play tonight for titles and our high school plays in semifinal. Hard to believe but 30 years have gone by since that last happened when we won back to back titles.

The high school I matriculated from in Miami is also in semifinal game.

Good year for HS football in our area.

I need to start paying more attention to high school football. The little of it I see looks like some great, highly competitive games.

Archived