IGNORED

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Indy Dave

One of those cannot be turned off fast enough when it comes on. Some of the others get turned up louder at first note.

17 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

One of those cannot be turned off fast enough when it comes on. Some of the others get turned up louder at first note.

Which you not a fan of?

And that's just a quick short list I could think of.

56 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Johnny Cash-Hurt (you can feel the emotion)

No argument there….

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Which you not a fan of?

Sounds of Silence by Disturbed, first note hits, silent go the sounds.

Dylan said he no longer owns All Along the Watchtower, it is now Hendrix's. I agree.

First time I heard Hurt by Cash, I wasn't sure, it was really dark and I wasn't in the mood. Since then, I've been able to listen and appreciate it, it is a fantastic performance. Cuts right to the heart.

11 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Sounds of Silence by Disturbed, first note hits, silent go the sounds.

Haha.  Me likes it mucho

Dylan said he no longer owns All Along the Watchtower, it is now Hendrix's. I agree.

Dylan's voice is like grinding brakes,.....I don't care what the lyrics are, kinda like Eminem, grinds to the bone, ugh.

First time I heard Hurt by Cash, I wasn't sure, it was really dark and I wasn't in the mood. Since then, I've been able to listen and appreciate it, it is a fantastic performance. Cuts right to the heart.

Cash only had one lyric changed, "shit" to "thorns"

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Dylan's voice is like grinding brakes,.....I don't care what the lyrics are, kinda like Eminem, grinds to the bone, ugh.

I've learned to appreciate Dylan's style. Not all of it works, but many seem to be just right.

I like many of Eminem's too, but certainly not all of it.

Music is a funny thing, it affects no two people the same. 

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Two other earworms from my past have crawled back in my head lately.  

The music for The Last Temptation of Christ was put together by Peter Gabriel, who assembled a crew of musicians from around the world to help compose and perform it.  Some of it's pretty abstract, and some of it doesn't really lend itself to casual listening.   But there is one piece I keep coming back to,  A Different Drum:

The intro is a bit monotonous, but if you skip ahead to 1:30, that's when all of the percussion shows up, with a really strong North African feel.  I'm pretty sure the high-register voice at 2:50 belongs to Youssou N'Dour, a famous Senegalese singer, and Gabriel comes in around 3:07.   

My other earworm is courtesy of Wendy & Lisa, who rose to fame with Prince and the Revolution but stepped out on their own in the mid-80s.  They made a pretty good splash (no pun intended) with Waterfall, their first single.  I was a teenager in the '80s, and this one is definitely solid '80s pop, so it really pings my nostalgia meter.  Also, Wendy sure is easy on the eyes:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ESokoloff said:

One on my favorite Who songs & one of the few sung by Pete. 

Yes, love this, can still remember the video intro from the MTV days

24 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Yes, love this, can still remember the video intro from the MTV days

Probably this video 

I was going to post this take for its visual value but find the one I used to sound better. 

Too bad Keith Moon (the loon) wasn’t able to perform this piece:(

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
3 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

One on my favorite Who songs & one of the few sung by Pete. 

The opening lick is great, it usually gets turned up a little too loudly when it hits.

Oh man,......1982 is now "vintage"........and here I am thinking that the 60's are still "vintage" for old people:grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 5/20/2023 at 7:07 AM, Rougarou said:

Oh man,......1982 is now "vintage"........and here I am thinking that the 60's are still "vintage" for old people:grin:

The 60's is now vintage for really old people.  

Does atonal yelling make a song better?  I think so.  This whole song is good, but I happen to really like the drum solo at the beginning.  This video is the entire album, but it's cued to start at 12:51 for "Some Other Blues":

Then there's this one.  The bass solo starts around 1:09, and the distant, gravelly background vocal adds a special flavor to it:

John Ranalletta
46 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

The 60's is now vintage for really old people.  

Does atonal yelling make a song better?  I think so.  This whole song is good, but I happen to really like the drum solo at the beginning.  This video is the entire album, but it's cued to start at 12:51 for "Some Other Blues":

Then there's this one.  The bass solo starts around 1:09, and the distant, gravelly background vocal adds a special flavor to it:

From a musician's standpoint, the beauty of progressive jazz lies in the fact one doesn't have to practice.  Just play a string of unassociated notes.

Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

From a musician's standpoint, the beauty of progressive jazz lies in the fact one doesn't have to practice.  Just play a string of unassociated notes.

Superficially, it can seem like they're unassociated.  Another word for that would be random.  If that were true, then a simple random-number generator would be able to spit out a progressive-jazz song that sounded pleasing to the ear.  But that's not the case.  I think that without a background in music theory can be hard to explain how the notes in an ear-pleasing solo relate to each other - nonetheless, they do relate to each other, they're not simply random/unassociated.

Usually.  

Edit: to clarify, while I have experience learning/playing an instrument, I never had any formal classroom instruction on music theory.  So I can't explain why a song sounds good - I just know what I like.  :grin:

There is a scene in the movie High Fidelity, where a kid approaches the clerk in the record store and says he wants a Miles Davis album. She just yells at him "You're too young!"

I just had to laugh, because it was true!

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Superficially, it can seem like they're unassociated.  Another word for that would be random.  If that were true, then a simple random-number generator would be able to spit out a progressive-jazz song that sounded pleasing to the ear.  But that's not the case.  I think that without a background in music theory can be hard to explain how the notes in an ear-pleasing solo relate to each other - nonetheless, they do relate to each other, they're not simply random/unassociated.

Yeah, well.  I've got some Spike Jones records that sound better.:)

It was '69, I snagged good seats to the 'Stones concert. The opening act was 'The Ike and Tina Turner Revue with the Ikettes'. I was blown away by her performance, definitely stole the show. RIP Tina

• Like 3
On 5/25/2023 at 10:45 PM, roadscholar said:

Would make a good soundtrack for a western motorcycle adventure. Tewks, LCB?

Chet Atkins meets Then Came Bronson ;)

roadscholar
5 hours ago, Red said:

Chet Atkins meets Then Came Bronson ;)

Good one, I was thinking Chet too but couldn’t come up with the other half.

On Memorial Day, honoring a vet of noteworthiness.  Honorably discharged after only 1 year because he broke an ankle in a jump.   Started playing music for money after that and the rest is history.  Who knows how his impact on rock n roll music would be if he wasn't hurt and served his full commitment.  Inspiring and influencing guitar heroes to this day.

Here is a rare one on an acoustic 12 string

And a much more well known one play the national anthem....not loved by those traditionalist types, but a rendition that hits on the bombs bursting in air and even sneaks in a bar of the WWI patriotic song Over There

• Like 2

Toby is cool.  Although he never served he has been very supportive of veteran issues.   There are several musicians of note in the country music genre who were both influential in the music industry and severed in the military.  Willie Nelson is one, but I suggest you can't get more a pure country genre pick than the late great Johnny Cash.

I never appreciated Robert Plant until his (multiple) efforts with Alison Krauss..

• Like 1

It's a pretty good collaboration. He mentioned that he was a little worried that it was not going to work, that she would get frustrated with him, that he wouldn't be able to keep up. Obviously, unfounded fears. He also said that he held back because he worried that he would overwhelm, that it would become too much about him. But as I listened, I could physically hear him stop from doing what he does, freestyle a bit, and I kept thinking that I really wanted to hear him let go a few times, not a full blown stanza of riffing, but just a few notes of his trademark style running extra.

She can hold her own, that's for sure. Fun duet to listen to.

• Like 1

The story is just as good as the singing.  

The more I learn about Robert the more I’m impressed by his wit & humble demeanor.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw these guys covering AC/DC song Thunderstruck and found another cover.  I smiled the whole time.  Even the orchestra was enjoying it.   The drummer Dušan Kranjc  is from Croatia and I sensed he was a fan of Neil Peart. 

Thanks Mitch!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 10:45 PM, roadscholar said:

Would make a good soundtrack for a western motorcycle adventure. Tewks, LCB?

I saw them play about 20yrs ago. This is their most famous song that they played as their finale. John Jorgensen:  “it’s train time!”.

edit:  from the notes:

AOPolaTXisq9hLxilMMdDDn7T8t50QejVcSlHKeq

@freevito1 year ago

Saw these guys play live three times in SoCal, and it changed my life. After the first time, I had Dave Borisoff install a Hipshot on my Tele when he still had his shop in Van Nuys, before he moved Hipshot to Interlaken. Next time I saw them play, I got talking to Will Ray and ended up learning string bender with him for 6 months. At the first session, he said, "OK...ground rules. If you wanna know what JJ does, buy his videos. If you wanna know what Jerry does, don't ask. I have no idea how he does what he does."

• Like 1