IGNORED

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Indy Dave

1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

Love me some southern rock. Hard to believe that all of the original members of Molly Hatchet are dead.

Ya, and in the big scheme of things, fairly young:classic_mellow:

1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

Love me some southern rock. Hard to believe that all of the original members of Molly Hatchet are dead.

I didn't know that either. A little depressing.

When I put a stereo in my '71 Maverick Grabber, one of my favorite 8-track tapes was Molly Hatchet. Listening to them now brings me right back to that time, rolling down the road bothering people while playing music way too loud. Car stereos blasting to the masses was not as common as it is now. Having quarter panels rusted halfway up to the trunk lid helped release some of that music for all to hear!

• Like 2

And I don't think any of them died of drug use,.....I could be wrong

• Plus 1 1

That song gets stuck in my mind and stays there for quite a while. Definitely not anything wrong with that!  I like how they can stretch it out a little, too.

I wish I would have seen them perform live, back in the day.   

• Like 1

That just triggered a memory I'd long forgotten, in college we were at a bar in Fargo (just don't do Fargo, there is no reason), Molly Hatchet band members came in to have a few drinks (I didn't recognize them). The DJ immediately throws on one of their songs, they looked over and said thank you, but we listen to that every day, go ahead and play whatever you'd normally be playing, we came in to relax and have a good time. DJ understood, smiled, threw on Pat Benetar or something, a good time was had by all.

I never did see them in concert, probably could have seen them at the time for about $6.

RandyShields

Just can't get this out of my head recently: the Boccherini song from the final scene of a fantastic maritime film: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.  Russell Crowe, may be a jerk, but what a presence in this movie.  Should have won the best film Oscar that year.

• Like 2
RandyShields
On 1/3/2024 at 4:34 PM, BrianT said:

This went well with my bourbon.

Been loving resonator guitars for many years now.  Great sound.

Jennifer Connely on the horse, um,.....I'll be back in two, or three minutes

• Haha 2
RandyShields
8 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Jennifer Connely on the horse, um,.....I'll be back in two, or three minutes.

Great scene, but might you be back sooner? :4322:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Great scene, but might you be back sooner? :4322:

Careful of the keyboard.

Anyway, I posted this some time ago.

The first time I saw her was in the movie "Once Upon a Time in America", if you've not seen it, watch it, the full version, not that short two hour version.

Back in 1990, I was a DJ at KBVR Corvallis; Oregon State University’s radio station.  I had the 2am - 5am shift, so I could pretty much play whatever I wanted.  This was on my regular rotation,.  Security would come around and tell me to turn it down.  Those JBL studio monitors were AMAZING!  They’d go as loud as you could stand it - No distortion whatsoever.

The song actually starts at 1:25 if you want skip Lori Jackson’s spoken word part.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
roadscholar
On 1/29/2024 at 5:19 PM, RandyShields said:

Flatt and Scruggs would never have imagined . . . but would be pleased.

Love the Biscuit Eaters, someone has to carry on the tradition cuz these dudes are gettin' old.

RandyShields
5 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Love the Biscuit Eaters, someone has to carry on the tradition cuz these dudes are gettin' old.

Wholeheartedly agree, but it's worse than just gettin' old -- Lester Flat gone, Earl Scruggs gone, likely the rest of the Foggy Mountain Boys gone and, from this latest video, Leon Russell (on the organ) also gone.  The Biscuit Eaters will keep hope alive!

• Like 1
roadscholar
34 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Wholeheartedly agree, but it's worse than just gettin' old -- Lester Flat gone, Earl Scruggs gone, likely the rest of the Foggy Mountain Boys gone and, from this latest video, Leon Russell (on the organ) also gone.  The Biscuit Eaters will keep hope alive!

True, that was an old video. I think my man Albert Lee is still cookin' and of course the great Vince Gill, love the Steve Martin cameo too. Went to a dinner theatre in Aspen in the early 70's with some buds to see the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band one night, the opening act was a guy on a stool telling jokes with an arrow thru his head, he played the banjo too, nobody'd ever heard of him  : )

This guy grew up in our same small town in Fla, I backed him on guitar a couple Saturday night square dances in Cashiers in the 60's. He tried to teach me the 5-string but I didn't have the patience, he was stationed in Antarctica and practiced 6 hours a day for two years and became a student of Earl's style. 

• Like 2
RandyShields
11 hours ago, roadscholar said:

True, that was an old video. I think my man Albert Lee is still cookin' and of course the great Vince Gill, love the Steve Martin cameo too. Went to a dinner theatre in Aspen in the early 70's with some buds to see the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band one night, the opening act was a guy on a stool telling jokes with an arrow thru his head, he played the banjo too, nobody'd ever heard of him  : )

This guy grew up in our same small town in Fla, I backed him on guitar a couple Saturday night square dances in Cashiers in the 60's. He tried to teach me the 5-string but I didn't have the patience, he was stationed in Antarctica and practiced 6 hours a day for two years and became a student of Earl's style. 

Cool story about seeing Steve Martin in Aspen as an unknown. 

Two others I recognized in that video: Marty Stuart on mandolin and Paul Shaffer on piano.  Marty is the earlier version of the Biscuit Eaters, playing in Lester Flatt's band at age 12, and later touring with Johnny Cash's backup band.  

• Like 1

Though not really a traditional blue grass player, I'm surprised we are not seeing more Billy Strings popping up. Tremendous talent.

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday

Or maybe you need something with a bit more caffeine, backed by a video with a strong early '80s vibe:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Hosstage said:

One of my favorites.

I like this one and Riders on the Storm,....the rest can go.

• Smile 1
15 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I like this one and Riders on the Storm,....the rest can go.

There are a few others that I like, maybe because they were a part of my youth.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:28 AM, Rougarou said:

This always takes me back to Apocalypse Now.

• Plus 1 1

My mom had Jim Croce on the record player quite a bit, grew up listening to his music.

• Smile 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

This one played me into work this morning:

Amused to see Borat's assistant scored a part in this video.  :classic_biggrin:

Etienne Lau

When I ride, I have Pandora going on my Android through Bluetooth to the helmet. So I am usually listening to Contemporary Jazz Station, so that is a variety of artists and no one specific.