IGNORED

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Indy Dave

Joe Frickin' Friday

Another one from The HU - this time it's a collaboration with LP, who has an, um, unusual voice - part Gwen Stefani, part Kate Bush, part Lisa Gerrard:

• Like 3
Joe Frickin' Friday
4 hours ago, Red said:

They need sub titles.

How about supertitles?  They also uploaded this version of the song (no LP vocal) that has English-language lyrics superimposed:

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Stressed out?  Need something to calm you down?  Here's a 344-year-old tune, "Music For A While" by Henry Purcell.  The stringed instrument is a theorbo, and the vocalist...will surprise you.

Love these songs -

Hey - link to video automatially embedded like before. Don't know why but I love it!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" is almost 53 years old:

Here's a modern-day cover by Puddles Pity Party:

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

You can run cadence to "War Pigs",......ask me how I know.

And also Johnny Horton's "Battle of Nawlins"

Joe Frickin' Friday
19 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

And also Johnny Horton's "Battle of Nawlins"

Ha - my dad used to sing snippets of the lyrics from that song when I was a kid.  I never heard the actual song until I was in grad school and found it on a jukebox somewhere.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
7 hours ago, brianh70 said:

Love Black Sabbath!!!  Here's another cover that in my opinion sounds even more 70s than the original.

Wow.  The Hammond organ and synth sounds definitely put a '70s spin on it, as did the extended jam.  That was great.  :thumbsup:

Joe Frickin' Friday
7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Somebody that knows music better than I said this guy and his story song was fantastic. IDK, maybe I’m being punked but I figured i’d post it. :dontknow:

Yup, I posted that (and one of his other songs, a remake of Bittersweet Symphony) somewhere upthread.  Ren had some awful health issues as a young adult, and this song (which, yes, is really impressive) is a really intense account of his struggles to cope through it all and make something of himself.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Yup, I posted that (and one of his other songs, a remake of Bittersweet Symphony) somewhere upthread. 

Sorry I missed that.

It’s something I needed to listen to a couple times because of the speed of his words. But very interesting for sure.

On 8/16/2023 at 2:17 PM, brianh70 said:

Love Black Sabbath!!!  Here's another cover that in my opinion sounds even more 70s than the original.

That's nice, Brian Thanks for sharing - I've passed that on.

Here's a sort of in-between Puddles and Main Squeeze version from Cake I like quite a bit. I like the way they added the horns and put their own twist on it. Cake has always kind of shed away from a heavy lead guitar,  and while the like the original (and the M.S. reedition),  I like what Cake has done here.

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 8/22/2023 at 4:21 AM, TEWKS said:

Sorry I missed that.

No worries, I've done it once or twice too - this thread is a mile long now, so it's inevitable.  Besides, the good stuff definitely bears repeating.  :D

• Like 1
On 8/16/2023 at 12:08 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I always thought Superman's Song, by The Crash Test Dummies would be a good song for Puddles to sing/act out.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

I always thought Superman's Song, by The Crash Test Dummies would be a good song for Puddles to sing/act out.

He’d smash that one out of the park! :yes:

• Like 1

I debated on which one of Justin Johnson's songs to put up here.  I love his covers of "When The Levee Breaks", "Stairway" (Yes, the 'Forbidden Riff'), and pretty much any other tune he puts out there.  Anyhow, I chose this one because it's the first tune of his I heard.

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 8/26/2023 at 2:51 AM, Indy Dave said:

I’ve really liked that song for a long time now - but I can’t imagine how Puddles could change it; it already feels like it’s “Puddles style”.

Going a little more up-tempo (and retro):

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I’ve really liked that song for a long time now - but I can’t imagine how Puddles could change it; it already feels like it’s “Puddles style”.

He’s a MASHER I bet he could make it interesting. But agree, that song does have a Puddles vibe as is.

7 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I like that entire disc (The Ghosts That Haunt Me Now) from The Crash Test Dummies, some nice lyrics throughout. Good mix as well, if you're into staging and imaging with a system that can pull it out (or good headphones). I also enjoyed their Follow Up release (God Shuffled His Feet). Somewhat unique in what they did. Conversely -  a good friend bought "A Worm's Life" and ranked it as one of the worst discs he'd heard. 

And so it goes . . . 

Joe Frickin' Friday
18 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

a good friend bought "A Worm's Life" and ranked it as one of the worst discs he'd heard. 

I won't say it's the worst, but it's definitely not very good.  I also bought the one after that ("Give Yourself A Hand"), and that one was just plain bad.  I haven't checked out any of their later albums.  

• Like 1

Jazz  ... not everyones cup of tea ... but ...

There are so many insane takes of this extraordinary prodigy it was hard to pick one .... but @ 12 years old .... yes 12 years old at the time of this video (6 years ago) ... hanging with two famous jazz bass and drum musicians...  jazz is a whole 'nother animal musically, but this "kid" has it 

8 minutes long ...

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday

I only know a couple of songs by Warren Zevon.  One of them is Werewolf In London.  The other is this one, which I first heard in the movie "Grand Canyon" about thirty years ago.  Just feels nice:

This was a birthday present from my wife this past July. I had the privilege of meeting him and heard him play in a very small venue of about 30 people. Most people don’t know how much music he wrote and was covered by other artists 

IMG_5646.jpeg

• Like 2

We're sitting here (in an undisclosed location- scouting) minding our own business....and have this disc playing.

20230917_203022.thumb.jpg.ade784b759ede49dea7ad5aa7933269d.jpg

But apart from the obvious Sultans of Swing - The Wild West End and The Gallery - the last two tracks on the ALBUM (it was an album before there were discs. And mp3s). But I digress.

Both terrific.

• Like 6