IGNORED

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Indy Dave

On 1/31/2023 at 12:42 PM, AnotherLee said:

This is such a great project, lots of great musicians and unique instruments.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I went down the Utube rabbit hole of David Gilmour's live performance in Pompeii from 2016.  Just as good as the originals.  My 2 fav's from the concert here.

• Like 6

After having been to Naples multiple times during my active duty time, it wasn't until 2015 that I actually visited Pompeii.  My daughter wanted a European trip for her graduation present and we fulfilled that. 

Walking through the areas where Gilmore, Waters and company jammed in 1972 was a phenomenal feeling.  Standing in the amphitheater I could hear the sound of Echoes still reverberating throughout the marble and stone.

Also, there's some other history there that some people think are important

I just think this is a cool shot of my daughter walking back in time

image.thumb.png.bf05fb23debee767f61bd8c40c45cdfe.png

If you've not been and you aren't dead yet, I highly recommend going.  Some things are better seen in person. 

• Like 3

For the Archer show fans out there.  At 1:51 is the portion from the closing credits.  The original album isn't in print anymore, but I found a used 1996 compilation album with this song and various 1960's jazz of this type.  Goes good with bourbon.

• Like 1

Mr. Petty disappeared without much fanfare IIRC. Or, it could have just been me not paying attention. It seemed like a couple years after his passing before I heard about it. :dontknow:

• Like 1

Thanks to @Indy Dave, I decided to get another song stuck in my head to clear out the other one.  

I hear this one on the radio, frequently,  and decided to see the video.  

Enjoy this one, Dave!

• Haha 1
On 2/20/2023 at 10:08 PM, roadscholar said:

Hadn’t seen that video before, there's a couple other fairly well known fellas in there too, which kinda brings it back full circle.

How about the Traveling Wilburys? 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
6 hours ago, roadscholar said:

60 Minutes did a segment on David Byrne tonight so digging this oldie up again.

I saw that, it was a good interview. 

• Plus 1 1
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

60 Minutes did a segment on David Byrne tonight so digging this oldie up again.

"oldie",...."80's",.....wow,......I still consider listening to the "oldies" as the music from the 50/60's:classic_biggrin:

• Plus 1 2
roadscholar

Fond memories of that wafting from the 1200 Wing’s cassette player coming back from Watkins Glen.

• Like 2
RandyShields
22 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Fond memories of that wafting from the 1200 Wing’s cassette player coming back from Watkins Glen.

A sad history prior to the super stardom days.  Still good music.  Mick Fleetwood credits Bob Welch for saving the band and putting them in a position to bring on Buckingham/Nicks.  RIP Bob Welch.

• Like 1
lawnchairboy
On 2/10/2023 at 9:45 PM, BrianT said:

I went down the Utube rabbit hole of David Gilmour's live performance in Pompeii from 2016.  Just as good as the originals.  My 2 fav's from the concert here.

WONDERFUL!

Last night I saw an interview of Mickey Thomas on Dr of Rock (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEK-154elGA) where he talked about who really taught him to sing.  He was later lead singer for Jefferson Starship after Slick slipped.

Then I heard the song that really got him going as a backup singer with Elvin Bishop.  All ya'll young whippersnappers never heard the song, or of MT (or Evlin - hint: "he ain't goodlookin but he shore can play").  Hearing it on the radio back then I never could decide if he was black or white but i really liked the song.  He's got some pipes and is still doing it in his 70's.

Driving back from Asheville, NC, this afternoon I pulled up the original version (trivia: the first half is the original take, the second half is the second take)  Then I pulled up several live recordings.  I like the live better.  Didn't have to fit on a 45.

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyMMEmwFQUE

Live:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGv3hZhbu6o

and:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54Qh05ILoQ

And he's a Georgia boy, Cairo, Ga.  Where they make the syrup.

Many don't know that most of the music that they so much enjoyed from the 60's and 70's were actually recorded by a bunch of studio musicians. 

If you haven't seen it and enjoy the music of the 60's and early 70's, I highly suggest you see this on the people that actually created the music.  The Wrecking Crew  If you can't actually get the documentary, the wrecking crew on wiki

Glenn Campbell was a member of the wrecking crew before he got out on his own.  I don't know why, but I've always like this tune.

RandyShields
22 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Many don't know that most of the music that they so much enjoyed from the 60's and 70's were actually recorded by a bunch of studio musicians. 

This was a point made by Ken Burns in his Country Music documentary.  There were a lot of photos featuring studio musicians in Nashville who were regulars as the emerging (and established) stars were recording their music.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Two and a half decades later, a retelling of The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony":

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BrianT said:

Metal cover version

This is likely the first rap song I ever heard.  Also, the devil clearly wins in any version of this song;)