IGNORED

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Indy Dave

8 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Thanks, I have some Canned Heat in my collection, but more recent than the early '70s, or as mellow.  

Dennis Andress
52 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Thanks, I have some Canned Heat in my collection, but more recent than the early '70s, or as mellow.  

I feel like explaining how music works in today's world, perhaps that should be how I make music work. I'll use Spotify as an example as they are very good at learning what music you enjoy, and presenting similar stuff. I'll also list products from Schiit Audio, audiophile quality, entry level components. Good Stuff, but they probably don't have many repeat customers...

Instead of a CD player (or cassette) today we need a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter); Spotify (or whomever) sends music in digital format, which needs to become something our ears can hear (analog). A notebook computer running Spotify can pull the digital music off the internet and send it to a DAC, which plugs into the back of an integrated amp, or preamp, and viola! There is music!

The quality of that music depends heavily on the composition of the digital signal - when the original audio was converted to digital how many times a second was a sample taken? How many bits were captured in each sample? Spotify falls down here, their audio quality is but slightly better than a CD (But, they worked all the way across Nevada on U.S. 50). There's also a chip in the notebook that converts what comes off the internet into something the DAC can use.

Long story short: A $300 DAC and a decent notebook can get you hooked up to Spotify where there is a lot of music.

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

Two best friends playing Bridge of Sighs. They’ve been doing this Wednesday night gig for a long time. 
IMG_0787.thumb.jpeg.f1e8ce0b4772ff5a16bbf43302c2a4c0.jpeg

one more.. plus I like watching left handed guitar players, especially one that plays a right handed guitar upside down, it’s all in your head, you have to invent it.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

If you're looking for very mellow background music while you're doing deskwork, the lofi radio channels stream non-stop with no ads.  There's a Christmas channel we're listening to right now:

There's also the lofi hip-hop radio channel:

7 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Good music on its own.  But a perfect song choice for the scene from Platoon.  Takes me right back to it every time I hear it.

8 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Adagio for Strings..... That will always remind me of Sergeant Elias... 

8 hours ago, BrianT said:

Good music on its own.  But a perfect song choice for the scene from Platoon.  Takes me right back to it every time I hear it.

This song had me buy the soundtrack tape

• Like 1
Hosstage

The version by Lindsey Stirling, yes. The first version by Ottmar, just a little too elevator Muzak style for me. Reminds me of when I worked at KMart as a ute, and they had reworked soft white versions of songs on a loop. I heard a remake of the Doors, Love Me Two Times, sounded like a 50's lounge singer on a xylophone. I just had to shake my head and laugh.

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
Rougarou

Ya, Ottmar's a bit slow on that one, but listen to Girl from Ipanema or Snakecharmer,....good stuff

• Like 1

When my kids were babies somebody turned us on to Rockabye Baby! music for them.  It's a series of songs of rock music redone as lullaby music for babies.  We played of ton of this for them then donated them to a friend with a newborn when my kids were too old for it.  Ottmar's version reminds me a lot of the Rockabye Baby! stuff.

Here's their version of Kashmir:

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 1/9/2024 at 7:50 AM, Rougarou said:

Ummmm, really, just listen to the whole thing

I was never really a fan of jaw harp music, but she managed to do more than most folks with it, and the rest of her vocal capabilities were pretty amazing.   She's got a bit of Yma Sumac in her (so does Lisa Gerrard):  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Grandpa, what was music like in the 80's?

It was like this honey, just like this.

• Smile 1
On 1/13/2024 at 6:40 AM, Rougarou said:

Love me some southern rock. Hard to believe that all of the original members of Molly Hatchet are dead.

• Plus 1 1