IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

Seeing that snow picture reminds me that Up Nort' they have ice races using old rear wheel drive cars on 3/8(?) mile oval tracks, Chevy Impalas, Ford LTDs, etc. The front tires can be studded, rear tires not. The studs were often 3/8" round head bolts installed from the inside out, about an inch and a half long. The serious guys ran rear snow tires from Denmark, I think, that were soft to the touch even at 0°F.  It was fun as hell to watch, and I ended up being a passenger in a couple. Up to 5 people allowed in each car including driver, the only safety requirement was a bright red rear light mounted high for visibility in the snow and ice fog created during racing.

This was super low ball racing meant to have fun, and the only other real requirement that I could see was that drinking was mandatory. As I got into my first ride, the driver hopped in holding his Bud Light longneck. Ok then.

It was hilarious fun!

inside.jpg.b16aed114a6d6e41d40412ac8461cb8b.jpg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

This is NOT the “station wagon” I grew up in the back of!

Sadly we don't get the wagon here so have to settle for the sedan, it was preceded by the C32 which is down a few hp (13) to the c55 but has better weight distribution.

From Car and Driver..

Yet the C32 is a truly comfortable four-door sedan (or wagon, although only the sedan will be exported to the U.S.), with an automatic transmission and room for four adults. Toss out the computer chip that restricts its top speed (something AMG does quietly for customers who insist on running with 911s on the autobahns), and the C32 tops out at 175 mph. Change the final drive, as some clients demand, and the engineers whisper that it's closer to 190 mph. Whereas the C43 relied on cubic inches for its grunt, the C32 relies on the heavy breathing induced by a belt-driven supercharger. AMG cites the advantages of a more compact engine that allows better weight distribution and, because it's shorter, improved behavior in a crash.

1BEE246E-9D76-4A15-823C-ED036BA5CF7A.thumb.jpeg.f96af28e8449c14ca58ab59a2e4f0ce5.jpeg

• Like 2

No kidding ^ what’s that car about a half million dollars? I guess I could sleep in it :dontknow: but that would kinda suck after three nights. :spittake:

Dennis Andress
33 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

No kidding ^ what’s that car about a half million dollars? I guess I could sleep in it :dontknow: but that would kinda suck after three nights. :spittake:

I’m fascinated by the floor. :14:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dennis Andress said:

I’m fascinated by the floor. :14:

Ya, that's the only thing in that photo I'd like,....and maybe the lift.:classic_biggrin:

I know my company spent over $100k on a pretty floor of 68k sqft.  Nice and smooth,.......only to get all fouled up by the heavy junk that gets moved around,....but it was purty for a while.

• Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
34 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, that's the only thing in that photo I'd like,....and maybe the lift.:classic_biggrin:

I know my company spent over $100k on a pretty floor of 68k sqft.  Nice and smooth,.......only to get all fouled up by the heavy junk that gets moved around,....but it was purty for a while.

When I had my shop, the 1950s concrete floor was spalled and cracked.  A local gym was upgrading their rubber flooring.  I bought all of their horse stall mats (heavy, heavy) and covered the shop and the 2-car garage.  Could. Not. Damage. Them.

In the pix below, the GS centerstand never made a dent and the 800lb safe in the corner was rolled out to the garage entrance and didn't make a mark.  

image.thumb.png.d12020adb924ac8478f297e3bb3b6faa.png

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
21 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

quiz, what year and model is it? (w/o cheating)

I kind of lost interest in models, sub-models, years and such when I quit working on airplanes.

image.thumb.png.ed0811a2ea140808354c9de0427b8787.png

This looks worthwhile

image.thumb.png.5c1fe67cc073fd48662b9ced9dfc7af3.png

'74 was the first year for short hoods (impact bumpers w/ rubber accordians), try again. you guys are going to learn some pcar model designation whether you like it or not : )

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
3 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

'74 was the first year for short hoods (impact bumpers w/ rubber accordians)....

That's why it's so pretty!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Since they all look alike, its like trying to tell the difference between a Michelangelo or Bernini.:classic_biggrin:

some people think the same about bmw's.

Good price! :18:
$1,111,110

One thousand one hundred and eleven dollars. I have never seen anyone add one hundred and ten cents at the end of the price, though. Must be a foreign seller. :dontknow:

Just now, roadscholar said:

not unlike bmw's.

Ya, the cars do all look alike 'cept short or long, a 3 series sedan looks like a miniature 7 series.  Even the XUV's look the same 'cept for sizing, save for the ugly X6 thinghy they did.

Benz at least has some variation to shapes and models.  A C3 looks nothing like the S550 with its slopes.

To my untrained eyes, a Porsche 718 looks very much like a 911.:dontknow:

If'n ever I was to fork out the dough for a Porsche,.....I'm a sedan kinda guy and like the Panamara, which looks just like the Taycan.:dontknow:

27 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I kind of lost interest in models, sub-models, years and such when I quit working on airplanes.

now that many are worth more than new ones you may start paying attention.

Dennis Andress
3 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

now that many are worth more than new ones you may start paying attention.

I did pretty good with B-52 D, G and H, then one day on Guam someone pointed at a wreck that was left  where it died, and asked "Is that an F model?"

25 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I did pretty good with B-52 D, G and H, then one day on Guam someone pointed at a wreck that was left  where it died, and asked "Is that an F model?"

everytime i drive by barksdale afb on the way to colorado b-52's are usually doing touch and go's. why all the black smoke, are they just tired, not warmed up yet, or mixture from lack of altitude? or do ancient jet engines even work that way?

Dennis Andress
17 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

everytime i drive by barksdale afb on the way to colorado b-52's are usually doing touch and go's, why all the black smoke, are they just tired, not warmed up yet, or mixture from lack of altitude?

It's just a very old engine. So old that the plane carries a couple thousand gallons of demineralized water to be injected into the engines on take off thus cooling the compressed air to the combustion chambers and allowing more fuel to be added, and make even more black smoke.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

The 911S 'cause of the Fuchs addition in '67.

you're on the right track but not exactly. 67 was the first year for alloys but those are 6xl5 which came on later years (72-77). 67 s came with 4.5xl5 and the only year that did (easily distinguishable). the s also had wider bumper and rocker trim which that one doesn't making it a base 9ll (possibly a 9l2 but most purists prefer original steelies w/hubcaps on their 9l2's). 9l2 is a 9ll with a 356 motor.

Dennis Andress
17 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

you're on the right track but not exactly. 67 was the first year for alloys but those are 6xl5 which came on later years (72-77). 67 s came with 4.5xl5 and the only year that did (easily distinguishable). the s also had wider bumper and rocker trim which that one doesn't making it a base 9ll (possibly a 9l2 but most purists prefer original steelies w/hubcaps on their 9l2's). 9l2 is a 9ll with a 356 motor.

So ON was forward on every on/off switch on the overhead panel of every Boeing 747  in existence. Except for the planes made for TWA; on those ON was aft. 

On 356 B’s (60-63) the fuel lever under the dash was auf (on), zu (off), and res. On 356 C’s (64-65) the lever was upside down and opposite. 

• Smile 1

Some tips on identifying early 911’s.

Short wheelbase was from 65-68, 69 and later were long wheelbase, IIRC 2.5in. longer. Look at the torsion bar (round) cover in front of rear wheels, not only is it closer to the door on SWB it's closer to the wheel well which means with lwb the rear suspension is mounted further back but also has a longer swingarm (banana) for more travel. The torsion bar cover is so you can remove them and adjust the ride height by changing the splines on each end. The front torsion bars are mounted longitudinally on an a arm and are also adjustable. had a few autocross 9ll's that wouldn't clear a beer can on it's side.

image.png.84ff8f2ab62eb6d3ae3227ab13e6ef21.png

image.thumb.png.9e115cf319df8c032718634dbd1edd06.png

Easier stuff to ID from a glance, SWB had vent wings that opened and closed, LWB didn't (it resulted in much more pleasant airflow thru the cockpit with the vents open). Side window trim was chrome over brass, LWB was aluminum. SWB had slightly smaller (narrower) turn signal/tail light assemblies and were one piece, LWB had separate lenses (fairly obvious to the trained eye). 65-67 had skinny ext push button door handles, 68 and 69 had thick ones, 70 and on had trigger pull handles. And why it's a 67 and not 66. 65 (very rare in US) and 66 had script 9ll emblem on rear decklid bottom right  corner, 67 and later it was centered below engine grill in upright letters. US version 68 only had separate side marker lights on front and rear fenders to meet EPA regs.There’s a few other minor things but that’s probably enough to digest in one sitting.

Edit, another fairly significant difference is the LWB car’s fenders we’re slightly flared, front and rear.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
4 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Not unlike identifying a rusty Porsche, you have to get down on your hands and knees so remember to wear your jeans : )

Not always,....most of these can be seen just by following a stock vehicle.  This is the one that you should likely avoid if the intent is to put moderate torque on it off-road.

Because of the little circled thing

image.png.739d3ce12c9c05735e175918b1752166.png

That's what holds your axle shaft in.  Snap it, and the axle walks out,.....along with your wheel and tire.

Easily recognizable by the round shape and the plug.

• Like 1

Not necessary to fully avoid this one (cept older vacumm split shafts), but know what you have and you can torque it,.....just make sure the wheels are straight and not turned.

It's roundish with a screw in plug

F12407537-1298655182.jpg.8474cf981855b892cd7269902ee49525.jpg

BTW, top is Dana 35

middle is Dana 44

this is Dana 30

Definitely leaning toward the older, not only am I scared of the V6, I like the old school build quality of the mostly analog TJ. I’m pretty much the same with pcars, merc's, and bimmers, mid 2000's (give or take depending on make or model) is about as new as I'm interested in, after that the stealer kinda has you handcuffed. 

• Like 2