IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

A Corvette dozer. :dontknow: Who would do that… The husband is gonna be pissed! :rofl:

image.thumb.jpeg.d8e4b17b45245c1ef2d08e386150f6cd.jpeg

I almost had that happen on day two when we stopped for lunch, you can see the tire tracks before I backed up.

3E585901-5330-42B5-9051-3D92C2917A11.thumb.jpeg.583f0728281c29fb8ad5aeebb93f5bfe.jpeg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Sounds like fun for everyone. Except maybe Molly...

She’s used to it and likes it 90% of the time but was the first time we'd gone 9 or l0 tenths on the dragon. The rear stepped out a few times and the tires squawk when they touch the paint near the limit so it was something she hadn't experienced before. Plus I keep telling her how dangerous the Gap is with all the amateurs doing stupid crap like crossing over the mustard and is basically a racetrack but with traffic going both directions. At the one mile marker coming back i said we were lucky, we made it again : )

This car handles like it's on rails and has very high limits because it's mid engine and has the optional suspension pkg with l9" wheels, the downside is it has a harsh ride on rough roads but is still worth it, some of my old racecars with slicks didn't handle this good. Mid engine cars hang on longer but are hard to catch when they go and can do a snap spin l80, a rear engine car loses traction sooner but gives plenty of warning to dial in some countersteer and power out. 

Most people that have them don't get anywhere near the limits because grip level is so high and when they try on the street it usually doesn't end well. Anyone that has or is considering a modern high performance car of any type but especially a Pcar I would definitely recommend a track day where there's proactive supervision and plenty of runoff with semi soft barriers, or at the very least an autocross or two. It’s the quickest, easiest, and safest way to explore the limits w/o risking it all and endangering anyone else.

• Like 4

So, the below lightly squiggly road, googlemaps says 24 minutes,.....I did it in 12 in a minivan.  Goals were to keep the tires squealing as long as possible in the curves.  This event happened when I was a cliff assault instructor in 93.  In the evenings, we'd head up to Morgantown for the college girls.  Since time was always limited, the best way to make up time was outbound and back inbound (usually 0200-0300).  Our rentals were minivans,.....not your average high performance car are they.  I did have one guy that refused to ride with me after a couple of runs, said he felt "in danger".  

image.thumb.png.17f7667a252dfceb2cb7297c533da4af.png

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=10CXyMLaIIOxCeZY_6GfMzJOjT2TYwWk&usp=sharing

Did this one Sunday afternoon on an R1100S Boxer Prep (Cup) 20 years ago, my odometer said 59 miles, watch said 58 minutes. If you're ever over that way give it a shot sometime.

You should try it in a mini-van,....1993 Dodge Caravan to be specific.:18:

I don't doubt it, one time a buddy and I were riding small WV backroads (me 1150RT, him 1100GS) and came up behind a local in one of those goofy Pontiac mini vans, he saw us and picked up the pace. before long he was lifting a rear wheel over the grass on apexes and killing it, it was all we could do to keep up with him. See #4 above.

• Smile 1
19 hours ago, TEWKS said:

A Corvette dozer. :dontknow: Who would do that… The husband is gonna be pissed! :rofl:

image.thumb.jpeg.d8e4b17b45245c1ef2d08e386150f6cd.jpeg

When I had the 545i, wife took it to meet up with her sisters in TN.  She later told me that she took the car on some light trails to see some of the scenery.  Her sisters thought I'd be pissed that my car was taken off the pavement and bounced around a bit,.....nope, proud of the wife for actually doing it--she had fun.

They're just cars and trucks and bikes, nothing more:classic_biggrin:  See the guy above beat the hell outta the ferrari, that'd prolly be something I'd do.  At least he's pushing the skinny pedal kinda hard, unlike most that get high performance cars that won't ever see triple digits,....kinda like buying a Jeep and never dropping it in 4lo,....what's the point.

I think that Ferrari kid became a multi millionaire by making goofy YouTube videos.

I’m still waiting on my check from YouTube. :dontknow: :spittake:

I mentioned the guy on the Gas Gas 700 SM we were playing with on the dragon last Friday. Did a similar story on ADV and a local that has the same bike (but green) saw it and posted this video. I looked up my photos on Killboy.com to confirm, different jacket that day but can tell it's the same guy and bike.

This is Darryl Cannon (Killboy) filming from his 7l8 Cayman S with a PDK trans. Couple takeaways, one is the comparison between the dynamics of a bike and car with similar performance at least within the confines of tight twisties. Also the difference in dimensions (width) plays a roll in how much pavement is available, the bike has l0-l2 feet to work with, the car only a couple extra feet on each side. But  mainly how smooth both are and in this context especially Darryl. He obviously has hundreds of hours on that road and knows every inch and likely plenty in that car. He’s very smooth and smooth is fast. Not only steering and car placement but transition from throttle to brake and back, because it’s s PDK I suspect he’s left foot braking which means you never lift off either completely but can dial in and out of each at the same time, it also helps settle the suspension in transition. The only auto I have is an E36 M3 and used the technique at the gap when we were there a few years ago, it makes a difference.

There’s a tendency to turn in too soon which not only puts one over the paint but also screws up the exit coming out, he never does. I found myself doing it a couple times, i'm out of practice and know better (it's a hard habit to break) but is one reason you see many crossing the yellow some,  I’m not talking about the boobs half or completely in the other lane. Anyway, try to watch the whole thing, he has some good commentary.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Weeeee! That was fun.   Thanks.

The foliage was beautiful. 

It was, the video was posted last Thursday the day before we were there. It was taken late afternoon probably around 5:30-6 judging by the sun and why there was little traffic and the photogs had already punched out. I like it about then too but get there a little earlier this time of year so we get back to Franklin or wherever before dark plus we met Danny (Huzband) for dinner at Caffe Rel around 7. I used to like racing at night but driving mountain roads after dark is more like work than fun these days.

We were there from about 2:30-4, don’t  know if I mentioned it but the rider is from Canada and said he comes down quite a bit and it shows from his riding. Darryl not only has Killboy but owns TotD store now so he's probably there most days, stop in and say hi if you see a blue Cayman parked around back by the log.

• Like 1

The view looking down the hood of his Cayman is cool! :cool: I may have missed it but is this a new/different photo service he provides or just videoing for a friend? Kinda (but different) reminds me of taking regular old photos or video using the drone, way more excitement for the photographer. :thumbsup:

Dennis Andress
On 11/1/2023 at 8:28 PM, roadscholar said:

back to cars. nice photography.

I'm guessing that averages out to around $25 a full stop.

6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

The view looking down the hood of his Cayman is cool! :cool: I may have missed it but is this a new/different photo service he provides or just videoing for a friend? Kinda (but different) reminds me of taking regular old photos or video using the drone, way more excitement for the photographer. :thumbsup:

Good question Pat, would be interesting if it is, he's probably one of the few driver/car combinations that can safely stay with a quick bike. When I talked to Mr. Gas Gas he seemed like a really nice guy so maybe they're just buddies. I’d imagine if it was an openly commercial enterprise there might be some legal ramifications, shouldn't be hard to prove they're doing double the speed limit for l2-l3 minutes, maybe @9Mary7 has some experience with this.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I'm guessing that averages out to around $25 a full stop.

If you're referring to the fuel I don't think that's Texas or American currency. Likely a spoof because the motor has around 12/1 compression with no knock sensors and pump gas would be a definite no no. The last time i bought race fuel was about 20 years ago and it was $6-7 a gallon,  probably twice that now. My old 75 RSR (1/2 917 engine) came with a 31 gallon tank from the factory, I sorta checked the fuel mileage once, it was getting 3 mi/gal but that was wide open all the time : )

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
31 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

If you're referring to the fuel I don't think that's Texas or American currency. Likely a spoof because the motor has around 12/1 compression with no knock sensors and pump gas would be a definite no no. The last time i bought race fuel was about 20 years ago and it was $6-7 a gallon,  probably twice that now. My old 75 RSR (l/2 9l7 engine) came with a 31 gallon tank from the factory, I sorta checked the fuel mileage once, it was getting 3 mi/gal but that was wide open all the time : )

Total cost of ownership...

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Some drone footage from this time last year, really nice perspective. Like the plate too, Spicy VW..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more. After all it's a car thread so too much is just about right, right? Couple observations, one it's not his so he's showing some respect/restraint. Two, he's still acclimating, it’s different and has about twice the hp of the Cayman and three, it's a lot more power than you can put down on that road and not so easy to modulate/deal with. Have to admit though blue flames coming out the top of the engine cover is pretty cool.  :cool:

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

Well…. horse puckies! I’ve barely touched this thing in a week…. And I haven’t picked up after myself in two…

IMG_0598.thumb.jpeg.0f8069889a91016c8b35e8bf65669c65.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Dennis Andress

I covered the throttle body and spent a couple of hours with a scrub brush and hot soapy water.  
IMG_0599.thumb.jpeg.f7dbd459da461995a03da5ee49c29f18.jpeg

I got the drive belt off, it was hard and worn , likely slipping. The idler pulley wiggles, and I’ve no reason to trust the tensioner. I bought all three parts a couple of weeks ago. 
IMG_0601.thumb.jpeg.1fb1b31734303cb850ca7514db55c4a2.jpeg
FedEx promises the special stubby T50 needed to get the tensioner off will be here today.  

• Like 2

I like your bikes, I like your cars, now I really like your neighborhood! :yes: Honestly, I’d feel like a king if that put me to bed at night! :thumbsup:

• Plus 1 2
On 11/3/2023 at 11:45 AM, roadscholar said:

Good question Pat, would be interesting if it is, he's probably one of the few driver/car combinations that can safely stay with a quick bike. When I talked to Mr. Gas Gas he seemed like a really nice guy so maybe they're just buddies. I’d imagine if it was an openly commercial enterprise there might be some legal ramifications, shouldn't be hard to prove they're doing double the speed limit for l2-l3 minutes, maybe @9Mary7 has some experience with this.

Sure hope he doesn't crash into someone 'cause their attorney will love having this history of unsafe behavior memorialized for court presentation.

Civil court rules allow a lot of leeway that criminal courts do not. 

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
42 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Any spare parts left over?

Just one. Porsche calls it the "sound symposer," a little tube between the intake and the cabin to let the driver get a full rush of intake noise. The car came with a Soul Performance exhaust which sounds pretty sweet all by itself. And, I wear hearing aids and like a quiet cabin.

image.thumb.jpeg.aa8325cb6d53ebe43f3d06f0ab53efa1.jpeg\

• Like 1
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Used car values are in free fall.  Not only Tesla but this is a killer...

image.png.7bcca73d5e749e82dd8c5de779f8aaf4.png

I'm hoping this carries to trucks as well, I will be needing one in the next year or so. 

Right now the old muscle cars are the hot ticket, though prices are slipping on those too. Good news for those that want an old school street rod, those have almost dropped in half in the last decade.

John Ranalletta
20 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I'm hoping this carries to trucks as well, I will be needing one in the next year or so. 

Right now the old muscle cars are the hot ticket, though prices are slipping on those too. Good news for those that want an old school street rod, those have almost dropped in half in the last decade.

If you watched the vid, he says prices on good, standard work trucks like the F150 are stable while the pimped out rides that sold for near $100k are not.

5 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

If you watched the vid, he says prices on good, standard work trucks like the F150 are stable while the pimped out rides that sold for near $100k are not.

I only watched a little of it, didn't skim the rest. I figured the vehicles losing value are the specialty cars, fringe cars, high end cars.

• Like 1

Interesting info but honestly most of the vehicles he includes are those I would never consider except for the F150.   But really if you are crazy enough to pay well over MSRP for a vehicle then you are taking on that risk.   If you follow the old rule of buy what you like and want and keep it for quite a few years.   Yes you will lose money but you are getting pretty good use/value for the vehicle.   But that is just me and I am pretty conservative when buying vehicles. 

6 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I only watched a little of it, didn't skim the rest. I figured the vehicles losing value are the specialty cars, fringe cars, high end cars.

Yes .... Corvette, Tesla, Ford Lightening, high end Mercedes SUV, Ford Bronco, etc. 

True, every one of his examples are cars that people with more money than brains paid too much for then lost their shirt when reality finally set in. Youtubers like to use extremes to make a point and rack up more viewers then someone extrapolates it's indicative of the market as a whole. A few less extreme examples are currently trending downward (slightly) but others are holding steady, and some still continue to escalate. Part of it is mainstream used car sales drop off this time every year then pick back up in February,  another is the economy and inflation in general, people are just doing with less. 

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
2 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

true, every one of his examples are cars that people with more money than brains paid too much for then lost their shirt when reality finally set in. youtubers like to use extremes to make a point and rack up more viewers then someone extrapolates it's indicative of the market as a whole. a few less extreme examples are currently trending downward (slightly) but others are holding steady, and some are still continuing to escalate. part of it is mainstream used car sales drop off this time every year then pick back up in february,  another is the economy and inflation in general, people are just doing with less. 

Recently read the "how to return my car" is trending on Google search.  Sure, these are extreme examples, but the vehicles were purchased by people who had the means or the ability to borrow.  Just wonder what's happening to those who are underwater and living on their credit cards are doing.

26 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Just wonder what's happening to those who are underwater and living on their credit cards are doing.

Yeah that too, financing a new car is not always (usually) a good idea.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

nothing is free from a car dealership, if it seems that way they're making it up somewhere else. 

Yup .... and so long as you understand that going in you will be fine.   I always go in with a final "out the door" number I am willing to pay and I am willing to walk out if the deal does not meet my expectations.  I HATE dealing with car dealers but the last 3 new cars I did OK.   Partly because I worked for a company with an agreement with the manufacturer to sell as "X" % below MSRP.   Was it a killer deal ... nope.   Was it a good deal ... yes and the best was not having to go through the negotiation process.   Motorcycles are much easier to buy since I have a good dealer who is fair! 

Interesting but long video about the current Porsche GT3/4/Turbo market and why it's sagging, he's done a good bit of research. Most will likely find it pretty boring including myself somewhat, not in that end of the market, too expensive and volatile. Plus it’s usually not a good idea to invest in something they keep improving on and making more of.

• Like 1