IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

9 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Does anyone speak Italian?

image.thumb.png.ffbbdbcaa25275ea3fbbe8eb918eb5e0.png

Only a little, had an affair with one about 40 years ago, long legged, beautiful curves, and a sexy voice. I was 35 and she was 17, it was fun while it lasted : ) '67 330GTC. 

E549E29B-28E0-4F85-B7AA-5CE82777B533.thumb.jpeg.3074c33070a639a0adb607c43428b024.jpeg

7A27D3BC-E4A3-4DEF-803B-315FF57ABAA7.thumb.jpeg.3646ea2c5906fd606d3e3ead8a8ecca2.jpeg

• Smile 1

Here's my "baby". 1972 Datsun 240z. Fully restored (by me) with slight modifications. Every nut and bolt has been touched and either cleaned or replaced with SS. Original engine rebuilt and balanced. Took many years because, well, family and kids, but got it done (bought in 1995, drove some, sat, then finally finished in 2015). Now it sits more than it should. Has been sitting long enough that I need to drain the gas, clean the lines, clean the carbs this winter, and then give it a go.

It isn't the fastest thing out there, but it rides like it is on rails and is a hoot to drive on twisty roads. Spring will be tough because I'll have to chose between this and the RT...

Datsun 1.JPG

Datsun 2.JPG

Datsun 3.JPG

Datsun 4.JPG

• Like 9
Dennis Andress
2 hours ago, Stresspuppy said:

Datsun 4.JPG

I'm 6' 4". I sat in one of those when I was 17, slid the seat all the way back, and my feet couldn't reach the pedals! It was a strange experience that has never been repeated. By the time I could afford a 240 they were either POS or stashed in somebodies garage.

P.S. Where did you get that battery clamp?

Dennis Andress
4 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I'm thinking Lancia.......:java:

Until FB showed a picture of one I'd completely forgotten the name. It seems they were bought by Fiat and spent the last decade or so churning out something called a Ypsilon; the kind of cheap car that only Italians want. It gets better. A big corporation called Stellantis has appeared out of thin air, and owns a lot of manufacturers. Through it all Lancia has been reenergized.

image.thumb.png.22cc81a6cb5bba17838fb8d3f79bca30.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I'm 6' 4". I sat in one of those when I was 17, slid the seat all the way back, and my feet couldn't reach the pedals! It was a strange experience that has never been repeated. By the time I could afford a 240 they were either POS or stashed in somebodies garage.

P.S. Where did you get that battery clamp?

It can be an intersting seating position. And if your arms are long enough, you can reach out the window and just about touch the back wheel. This one was in so-so shape when I bought it in 1995 from AZ but as I started working on it, I found it needed more "love" than I had hoped. 

As for battery clamp, I assume you mean the positive terminal clamp. I had a shop but in a stereo and they put it in. I'm not sure of brand or any specs but it gives it a clean look compared to lots of O-rings attached to a standard clamp.

Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, Stresspuppy said:

As for battery clamp, I assume you mean the positive terminal clamp. I had a shop but in a stereo and they put it in. I'm not sure of brand or any specs but it gives it a clean look compared to lots of O-rings attached to a standard clamp.

Yeah that doohicky! Thanks.

Shouldn't that valve cover say Datsun ??

1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

Yeah that doohicky! Thanks.

Shouldn't that valve cover say Datsun ??

Good eyes. Nissan has always been the parent company, but just branded things as Datsun until 1986. Then they stopped the Datsun name and everything became Nissan. They tried to bring Datsun back in 2019 but it didn't take so they stopped it in 2022.

Bonus points... the 1970 (the first year) said "Nissan 2400" but from 1971 on they just went with "Nissan". I have one with 2400 and thought about putting it on the car, but it wouldn't be period correct (although my car isn't 100% period correct anyway). I'm sure there is someone doing a restoration or a collector that wants it so someday I may pull it out of storage and see what it is worth. I have a bunch of other parts as well (gotta have a spare parts car when restoring a car) that I probably need to get to a new home.

1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

@roadscholar

what’s this?

image.thumb.png.65467c051a03e2a619827bf24be349ae.png

t-6 body (62-65) coupe, distinguished by the twin grill decklid and a squared off hood vs rounded. drum brakes from the wide bolt pattern similar to vw, 64 and 65 had disk brakes and same bolt pattern as 9ll/9l2. so it's a 62 or 63 super by the barely visible s under the porsche emblem. it could be a super 90 (rare and considerably more valuable) but can't tell from the single photo. aluminum side trim was an option and was being slowly phased out by then so a guess would be more likely 62 than 63 but either is possible. there's another car right behind it they didn't want you to see blocking the engine emblem. 

any other photos would be helpful to better determine the condition but so far appears there's a little bondo lower left corner, the bumper is missing and the outside mirror is incorrect which means they drilled holes in the door and filled the other ones : ) otherwise exterior appears better than a lot of projects but there's a multitude of things you can't see that could become nightmarish in a hurry.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I sold the Ford when I bought the Cayenne…

Let me test my memory, your Ford was a lot newer than 1949… :5146:

6 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

What's this?

P5310630.thumb.jpg.332449725b29dabe3ce736a61cd6cd93.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Wrong, it's the car I lost my virginity in!

Heck, I bet you didn’t even need the back seat in that Ark! :classic_biggrin:

Most people don't realize it but the original 240z was a copy of the Ferrari Daytona, or as the magazines like to put it, had derivative styling. That’s not a slight, it's one of the world's more beautiful automotive designs and a perfect application by the Japanese to make a more user-friendly, reliable, and (comparatively) inexpensive version for the people, something they're well known for.

image.png.d73e5d9e9509614cdb3b108c6d9a3acd.png

image.thumb.png.631c03a302b205b9ba7f022a76469d4a.png

• Like 4
Dennis Andress

My mother fell in love with suicide door Lincolns. She had a 63, and when it died, a 68. I may have left home to avoid keeping the last one on the road...

image.png.6f918b153843a1e52022c5c1f6d66ac9.png

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Most people don't realize it but the original 240z was a copy of the Ferrari Daytona, or as the magazines like to put it, had derivative styling. That’s not a slight, it's one of the world's more beautiful automotive designs and a perfect application by the Japanese to make a more user-friendly, reliable, and (comparatively) inexpensive version for the people, something they're well known for.

I agree, the 240Z was a game changer.

2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Don't forget the Opel GT in that same category.

It didn't make quite the same impact though.

opel-gt-the-european-baby-corvette-that-thrived-in-the-us-during-the-muscle-car-era-214237_1.thumb.jpg.cb08675438175c00359feb99c5820d70.jpg

That reminds me of a car I don't think I’ve posted here before, if so, sorry.. it's a prototype for the mid engine Corvette from the 70's I believe (they'd been thinking about it for a long time). Very rare (2, maybe 3) it was stashed in a buddy's shop before the Amelia island concours one year. He didn’t want me to post pics at the time because people can harvest the location but it's ok now because the car is back in it's collection and he's moved his shop. Just appeared some of the styling cues were similar to the Opel GT (among other GM cars from that era) and hadn't really thought about it till now.

image.thumb.png.ceaf1d6d3e217792b2a691e3a9f7cacb.png

image.thumb.png.b1a29ed8abc3a849e195935f421b6be0.png

image.thumb.png.d3eef61ef5c130ea94b8aa1d5c263139.png

8 hours ago, roadscholar said:

had one of these in the 70's, it was a load but perfect for the submarine races on the beach at night ..

Best movie with this model driven by a young, scene stealing Jeff Bridges: Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, roadscholar said:

image.png.d73e5d9e9509614cdb3b108c6d9a3acd.png

image.thumb.png.631c03a302b205b9ba7f022a76469d4a.png

I always thought it was a Japanese Jaguar E-type.........

18 hours ago, roadscholar said:

t-6 body (62-65) coupe, distinguished by the twin grill decklid and a squared off hood vs rounded. drum brakes from the wide bolt pattern similar to vw, 64 and 65 had disk brakes and same bolt pattern as 9ll/9l2. so it's a 62 or 63 super by the barely visible s under the porsche emblem. it could be a super 90 (rare and considerably more valuable) but can't tell from the single photo. aluminum side trim was an option and was being slowly phased out by then so a guess would be more likely 62 than 63 but either is possible. there's another car right behind it they didn't want you to see blocking the engine emblem. 

any other photos would be helpful to better determine the condition but so far appears there's a little bondo lower left corner, the bumper is missing and the outside mirror is incorrect which means they drilled holes in the door and filled the other ones : ) otherwise exterior appears better than a lot of projects but there's a multitude of things you can't see that could become nightmarish in a hurry.

Bill, Is this One Of Them? Seems reasonably priced for an old Porsche if a notable model. :dontknow:

image.png.d729d9f0e28741ee17fed3d74eb471aa.png

• Smile 1
3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I always thought it was a Japanese Jaguar E-type.........

The Toyota 2000gt was a copy (derivation) of an XKE, note the curvaceous lines and other styling cues. Interesting article from wikipedia on how it was mostly designed and built by Yamaha, then scroll down to "styling".

image.thumb.png.3bf80e3dfdbb4718d076a20668d2cfb0.png

image.thumb.png.db75eef9da83afe0d1c750cc5eb2c81d.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_2000GT

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Bill, Is this One Of Them? Seems reasonably priced for an old Porsche if a notable model. :dontknow:

image.png.d729d9f0e28741ee17fed3d74eb471aa.png

Nothing special Pat, most of the value on those is in originality and correctness of which that one has little. Lots of performance upgrades though, might be good for vintage rallies or competition if you're into that. Someone’s retrofitted disc brakes so at least it'll stop now.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

The Toyota 2000gt was a copy (derivation) of an XKE, note the curvaceous lines and other styling cues. Interesting article from wikipedia on how it was mostly designed and built by Yamaha, then scroll down to "styling".

image.thumb.png.3bf80e3dfdbb4718d076a20668d2cfb0.png

image.thumb.png.db75eef9da83afe0d1c750cc5eb2c81d.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_2000GT

That is interesting....I always thought the Toyota looked more like the Ferrari........ and the Z car like the Jag.:dontknow:

1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

That is interesting....I always thought the Toyota looked more like the Ferrari........ and the Z car like the Jag.:dontknow:

Maybe it was the other way around, the 2000GT came before the Ferrari Daytona. Unlikely..

Enzo Ferrari supposedly once said, "the XKE is the world's most beautiful car". But he also said, "Amerca's only sportscar is the Jeep".  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

Mine has most of the same options, and a few scrapes and scratches. So, I'd be paying a lot of money for a fresh start...   And warranty coverage until 2029...

Guess how long it's been on the lot.

image.thumb.png.afdf804363fbce77b605d18a5eb1fc70.png

Dennis Andress
25 minutes ago, SDCRJohn said:

This is the final iteration of the venerable Jaguar XK.

20200921_141823.jpeg

A buddy in town was a service writer for Jag years ago. He was really joensing for an XK6 a few months ago. After looking at a couple he decided they suck gas, are borderline POS, and the only way to get parts is a junkyard.

Here's a terrible picture of my new to me '05 RT with my Delorean that I've had for almost 24 years now. Included is an older, better picture of the car from my old house. 

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

:4316: That is just too cool for school! Does the flux capacitor still work?

I have a small one that plugs into the cigarette lighter, When I used to take it to local car shows someone would always ask about the flux capacitor trying to be funny and then I would point to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Dennis Andress
41 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I can save you a few bucks, D. :18:

Reveal hidden contents

Not Apples to Apples but to the untrained eye… :19:

These things depreciate like a brick. I knew that going in, but experiencing it is something else all together. I suppose I should have made a budget to replace it every three, but life's twists and turns over the last few years have left a mark on my critical thinking...

I think I'll visit these guys in Portland and drown my woes in some blues.

image.thumb.png.4d0d974f9dd1948616914150a13e1d08.png

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I think I'll visit these guys in Portland and drown my woes in some blues.

Looks like that should turn up to 11!

At a perfect 50-50 weight distribution the transaxle cars were the best handling Porsche’s until the boxster/cayman came along, In race car trim they were phenomenal.

but still fun to drive 30 years later.

image.thumb.png.a95b377d98864ecb27c4337bd904641b.png

Porsche has had a long standing rule, the 911 would always be the flagship and no other model could be faster. The 968 in turbo form was the car that threatened it so was nixed and basically what created the boxster, the next entry level Porsche..

https://carbuzz.com/news/rare-porsche-968-turbo-s-one-of-only-14-in-the-world

• Like 2