IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

28 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

I’m sorry but a Porsche SUV ??

:4607:

Super Rich guy, trophy wife, I get it. ;) But, other than that it makes little sense. :dontknow: To me.

Edit…

After making that blatantly “sexist” statement :classic_biggrin: let me dig the ditch a little deeper.

I was at the veterinarian’s office a few weeks ago and struck up a conversation with this grandmotherly type, she liked our goofy looking little Zoe. Anyway, not expecting it but we finished our visit about the same time and she hops into a nice looking Porsche SUV. :dontknow:

25 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Super Rich guy, trophy wife, I get it. ;) But, other than that it makes little sense. :dontknow: To me.

Edit…

After making that blatantly “sexist” statement :classic_biggrin: let me dig the ditch a little deeper.

I was at the veterinarian’s office a few weeks ago and struck up a conversation with this grandmotherly type, she liked our goofy looking little Zoe. Anyway, not expecting it but we finished our visit about the same time and she hops into a nice looking Porsche SUV. :dontknow:

It’s just another example of a company trying to all things to all people.   I’m a believer in the old saying at the local bar “the bank don’t sell beer and we don’t cash checks”.  

Porsche makes some awesome sports cars !  But if you want an SUV buy a Ford or Chevy. 

But that’s just my jaded opinion. And of course YMMV 😉

• Like 1

The SUVs are the top selling vehicles by far for those high end car companies. It is what has kept their doors open, and that is not hyperbole. I think almost 60% of Porsche sales are the SUVs, with the Macan leading the charge.

• Plus 1 2
Dennis Andress

On the right:

0-60 in 3.7 seconds

550 hp
rear wheel steering

torque vectoring rear axle

true 4x4 drive

air suspension

adjustable ride height and damping

more brakes than engine

On the left:

0-60 in 4.2 seconds

395 hp

three shock damping levels

Yes, the 911 is way cooler. The Cayenne is way more capable.

both-cars.jpg

• Like 4
Dennis Andress
14 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Worse than luxury SUVs: Front wheel drive Buick Park Avenues and Rivieras. That is the true definition of blasphemy.

F150 with a V6 and the sound of a V8 pumped into the sound system when you accelerate. 

• Thinking 1
5 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

F150 with a V6 and the sound of a V8 pumped into the sound system when you accelerate. 

Or, you could just go with the real deal. ;)
image.thumb.jpeg.7cd6813ea196c17aaaca029275cd934d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Sorry I still don’t get it.   Yes it’s fast and yes it’s unique but most folks but an SUV to be used like an SUV.   This is like buying a Ferrari to carry 4x8 sheets of sheet rock.  Just sayin

As far as most folks buying SUVs to be used as SUVs, doubtful. Most are used as family haulers and will be used to go over speed bumps in the parking lot. Very very few will go off road. Even Jeeps don't get taken off road. Maybe a dirt road once in a while, but certainly not challenged on any kind of trail.

People get them because they are taller than cars and think they are safer.

Minivans would meet their needs much better, but stigma is a bitch.

Yup !!!  You nailed it ……Most are used as family haulers and will be used to go over speed bumps in the parking lot!   BAM!  

That’s what I was suggesting  …… used and the current definition of SUV’s .     They are more practical family haulers. 

31 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

If I had the money, I'd haul sheetrock in a Ferrari!

For others to install, of course.

Somebody has the money to use a Ferrari as a farm vehicle

Dennis Andress
2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Sorry I still don’t get it.   Yes it’s fast and yes it’s unique but most folks but an SUV to be used like an SUV.   This is like buying a Ferrari to carry 4x8 sheets of sheet rock.  Just sayin

So think back to the late 60s….  My mom’s grocery getter was a 67 Chrysler 300, with a 440…

9 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

So think back to the late 60s….  My mom’s grocery getter was a 67 Chrysler 300, with a 440…

5 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Yup and I had a buddy who’s dad had a Caprice wagon with a 454.

it was still a wagon and used as a wagon. 

Ya, but they needed all that juice to haul them heavy ass'ed cars :grin:  Imagine a Caprice wagon or 300 with a 2.3L Ford Courier engine,....wouldn't make it up the slight slope to my barn :grin:

• Haha 2
Dennis Andress

I've wanted one of these for as long as I can remember. This one is heavily modified, but is the cleanest one I've ever seen. The thing is, the part that intrigued me the most was that in order to get 50/50 weight distribution  Porsche put the clutch and transmission at the rear of the car. The propeller shaft had to be correctly shimmed as it controlled crankshaft lateral runout. Their are a lot of blown 928 engines in the world...

00505_bmSJmdI5oy2_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Or, you could just go with the real deal. ;)
image.thumb.jpeg.7cd6813ea196c17aaaca029275cd934d.jpeg

Just don't try to drag race a 3.5 ecoboost! It won't turn out well...:grin:

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I’m sorry but a Porsche SUV ??

:4607:

They still handle purty dern good for an SUV.

I signed up for 5 laps in a Lamborghini Huracan 610 SP and 5 laps in a Ferrari 488 GTB and the familiarization lap was shown in a Porsche Cayenne.  The driver was showing us braking points, etc.   About half-way into a turn, he nails it.   He drove the whole lap all over again at high sppeds.  Dayammm, those SUVs can handle, even with 5 people onboard.   :dontknow:

When that happened H E R E, it was supposed to stay here (as the expression goes,) but..........:grin:

6 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Just don't try to drag race a 3.5 ecoboost! It won't turn out well...:grin:

You’re probably not trailering to START, I assume?  :whistle: :revit: :burnout::classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

You’re probably not trailering to START, I assume?  :whistle: :revit: :burnout::classic_biggrin:

I'm scared to bring it now that you called me out!

• Haha 2

My last truck had the 3.5 (2014) (damn rust) (I’d still be driving it) and yeah, the 5.0 is awesome so far but, I’m pretty sure I’d lose in a race.

• Smile 1
On 10/28/2023 at 5:58 AM, wbw6cos said:

All that just to change the air filter?   Oh, the humanity.   :spittake:

C8 is just as bad.  Entire trunk liner has to come out to change the air filter.

• Like 1

Lol …. I did nit even get into the cost of ownership and maintenance.  I’ve got another buddy who’s an instructor at VIR and has a 2023 Porsche track car and as he says …… “the purchase is simply the cost of admission “

22 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Lol …. I did nit even get into the cost of ownership and maintenance.  I’ve got another buddy who’s an instructor at VIR and has a 2023 Porsche track car and as he says …… “the purchase is simply the cost of admission “

It's the old question, how do you make a small fortune in racing?

You start with a large fortune.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Dennis Andress
52 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Those spark plugs are in there.... we're cheering you on!

image.png.6113a5896541599818d6a3ba9147f8f4.png

Spark plugs are back there...

image.thumb.jpeg.307d550a4d344c204f62258e04ae1d6a.jpeg

Dennis Andress
8 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

They still handle purty dern good for an SUV.

I signed up for 5 laps in a Lamborghini Huracan 610 SP and 5 laps in a Ferrari 488 GTB and the familiarization lap was shown in a Porsche Cayenne.  The driver was showing us braking points, etc.   About half-way into a turn, he nails it.   He drove the whole lap all over again at high sppeds.  Dayammm, those SUVs can handle, even with 5 people onboard.   :dontknow:

When that happened H E R E, it was supposed to stay here (as the expression goes,) but..........:grin:

The 911's job is to hustle me through city traffic; romping on the Cayenne to zip between cars is more rush than hustle. The Macan is smaller, oriented more for performance than comfort. Driving one feels like it's two thirds 911, and one third four door sedan. If I could have only one...

I get the desire to have a small sports/hobby car. If that's what you gotta do then park it in the garage, hook up a battery tender and throw a cover over it. It'll be waiting for you next May. Stepping out of that box and into a Macan would give you the same or better performance, and a car that can deal with real life. And, they don't rust.

• Like 4
John Ranalletta
10 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I get the desire to have a small sports/hobby car.  Go to 11:50 for a perfect description of today's auto market.

• Plus 1 1
14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, but they needed all that juice to haul them heavy ass'ed cars :grin:  Imagine a Caprice wagon or 300 with a 2.3L Ford Courier engine,....wouldn't make it up the slight slope to my barn :grin:

Those old fifties and sixties cars were big, but they were lightweights compared to modern vehicles. Despite modern cars using lightweight materials and such to cut weight, the real problem is all the added systems in modern cars. Aside from just the safety systems and structures, things like powered windows, locks, doors, seats and more add a lot of weight.  Even just the expansive amount of glass in modern cars, SUVs in particular, adds a lot of weight. Those old cars were big, but they were mostly empty spaces. 

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
20 minutes ago, EdM said:

Those old fifties and sixties cars were big, but they were lightweights compared to modern vehicles. Despite modern cars using lightweight materials and such to cut weight, the real problem is all the added systems in modern cars. Aside from just the safety systems and structures, things like powered windows, locks, doors, seats and more add a lot of weight.  Even just the expansive amount of glass in modern cars, SUVs in particular, adds a lot of weight. Those old cars were big, but they were mostly empty spaces. 

transpress nz: 1967 Chrysler Imperial Crown

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EdM said:

Those old fifties and sixties cars were big, but they were lightweights compared to modern vehicles…,,,,

The 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s cars were just freaking cool! Cool then and cool today …. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, RTinNC said:

The 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s cars were just freaking cool! Cool then and cool today …. 

They had Style....something that escapes domestic car designers today.

• Like 1

Today it seems every manufacturer wants their cars to look like all the others. Back in 50’s, and 60’s Fords looked different than Chevys and different than Mopsrs, etc.  and every 3 to 5 years they all got a real makeover.

I guess it’s just a sign of the times and how the world had morphed much like the “black, white, silver” color palette offered today.

E833542F-B6DF-45CF-981B-173CD4976CBC.thumb.jpeg.29fceac8054319f463969b38a32573c2.jpeg

Needed a break from the grind so we took a little cruise over the weekend. pretty much the usual but it never gets old, especially with this little guy, and gal.

C455F060-D9D9-42CE-81A3-77CFDF49CF64.thumb.jpeg.ca4d64002c914a3a5f100024ab4053c0.jpeg

A206DB54-DDAA-46C1-ABF1-D88893B08320.thumb.jpeg.0fcd8d3da00c9027448b5ae7ec250e24.jpeg

There was some kind of event going on at Fontana so the big guns were in town. 

3B6B9E41-48CC-428E-B901-34FCDD930C36.thumb.jpeg.bbb09ed36511373ec600ee032bc25c6d.jpeg

• Like 6

That last pic was on one of my favorite roads, Walnut Gap. We did it twice, first one out and then back at the end of the day. I’m going to tell a story, mainly for TEWKS and Hosstage.

The day before I’d been taking it easy early on Wayah Rd.and the Gap too really just enjoying the scenery. But came up behind a guy in leathers on something red, he was being held up by a slow cage. Saw an opening and went for it, didn't take long and he was by too and it was on. After a bit I was really pushing, enough I could tell Molly was a little uncomfortable  (she's a trooper and didn't say anything tho). I couldn't lose him but don't think he was faster either, after 6-7 miles I slowed and waved him by. Got to the reservoir pulled up next to him, complimented his riding and saw the bike, it was a Gas Gas700 SM with sticky rubber. Said he comes here a lot, also said he enjoyed our dice, noticed the car was getting a little sideways a few times and asked if it had traction control, I said yes but it never intervened.

Which brings me to the next day. Heading east on 28/64 we came up behind a group of Harleys, probably l0-l2, blaring music, get back whips, the whole accoutrement, :was praying they wouldn't turn on Walnut Gap but they did. I thought geez what a way to start the day, luckily they came up behind a slow local on a straight section and I got by. So picked up the pace a little in the flowing stuff before it tightens up mid climb and again near the top. There’s a headlight still back there a ways so I add some beans but still play along. We get into the tight stuff, the Harley dude is catching me and holding his own, something ain't right : ) Over the top it starts flowing again and we pulled on out of sight. A few miles down there's a T with a stop sign.

At this point i should probably interject a few truisms. 1.Never judge a book by it's cover. 2. There’s an exception to every rule. 3. Stereotypes ain’t always correct. 4. It’s not the bike.

I turned right and waited on the shoulder to see which way they'd (he'd) go, guess what. Now it gets really twisty and I cannot lose this dude, for 5 or 6 miles, not pushing quite like yesterday but still. Finally pulled into the fire station parking lot at Lake Glenville and waved him over. I said man I’ve never seen anyone ride a Harley like that, he said I’ve never seen anyone from Florida drive like that : ) Asked him if it was stock he goes the motor is bla bla bla and I said no the suspension, he said it's been raised a few inches for clearance with better shocks. He also admitted he knew the roads, told him I did too. Then asked him about his buddies, he said they'll be along in awhile : )

AB7CF354-BB19-4BA6-A264-61B08788049A.thumb.jpeg.2fd46d5964a7706ae110bd68be868841.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Smile 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Sounds like fun for everyone. Except maybe Molly...

Could use a quote from an old movie “you trust me” :classic_biggrin: