IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

Dennis Andress

@roadscholar  To be honest, I bought the Cayenne because it has a V8.(I bought the 911 when I wanted something lighter). When I was a kid, the 928 was the first Porsche that caught my fancy. What can you tell us about it?

image.thumb.png.9f52d86fdf3859b0f402b70ac640f472.png

Dennis Andress
31 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

At a perfect 50-50 weight distribution the transaxle cars were the best handling Porsche’s until the boxster/cayman came along, In race car trim they were phenomenal.

but still fun to drive 30 years later.

image.thumb.png.a95b377d98864ecb27c4337bd904641b.png

Porsche has had a long standing rule, the 911 would always be the flagship and no other model could be faster. The 968 in turbo form was the car that threatened it so was nixed and basically what created the boxster, the next entry level Porsche..

https://carbuzz.com/news/rare-porsche-968-turbo-s-one-of-only-14-in-the-world

What else it tucked away in your garage?

On 11/23/2023 at 10:31 AM, Dennis Andress said:

A buddy in town was a service writer for Jag years ago. He was really joensing for an XK6 a few months ago. After looking at a couple he decided they suck gas, are borderline POS, and the only way to get parts is a junkyard.

I haven’t done anything but regular maintenance, in the last ten years. It has the 4.2 V8 and gets 22-25 mpg.  Fully aluminum monocoque body, excellent road manners, either on the boulevard, or backroad. I have found it to be a very enjoyable machine.

Dennis Andress
3 minutes ago, SDCRJohn said:

I haven’t done anything but regular maintenance, in the last ten years. It has the 4.2 V8 and gets 22-25 mpg.  Fully aluminum monocoque body, excellent road manners, either on the boulevard, or backroad. I have found it to be a very enjoyable machine.

Thanks. I’ll encourage my buddy…

My rental for the Thanksgiving weekend.

The 360° view is pretty cool.  No drone was used.   :dontknow:

20231124_084201.thumb.jpg.8d638905806a6a713f4354c593ce0e04.jpg

dash.jpg.ab8a8e7afee41aa1c8b92fe045a7fbb1.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

When I was a kid, the 928 was the first Porsche that caught my fancy. What can you tell us about it?

not a lot really, i've had two, an '8l and '85 4 valve, both automatic which most were. great out on the open road and a long distance high speed cruiser but heavier than a 9ll and you felt it. it was the first car to have 5 link rear suspension (weissach axle) and has been copied by nearly every automaker since, it magically kept the car from spinning in high speed corners even when piloted by hamfisted noobs, it was virtually idiot-proof.

couple 928 stories: for reasons still unknown to me 928's were abnormally prone to hydroplaning in heavy rain, maybe early low profile tire technology at the time but it didn't affect 9ll's or 93l/944's. one time my 9ll broke down at a track day in savannah so i hitched a ride home in the backseat of a 928 with brian redman and son james who lived in my hood. i've never been a good passenger but it was a downpour all the way home on 95 and one of the world's best racecar drivers was constantly catching it at just 80-85, i knew he had it but it was still scary. 

met a fellow from new zealand in about '80 when he was traveling the us , we hit it off and i invited him over so he wouldn't have to drive back to daytona after the party, he stayed for a year : ) anyway, serious car guy and drove pro rallies back home, he'd picked up a 5-speed rhd euro 928s (300hp) from the factory and had it shipped over. i had a 76 930 and we used to do all kinds of stupid crap including racing late at night on the only perfect 4 leaf clover in town, you just stayed on it, stupid fun. 

one night we decided to see which was faster, my turbo had a rally spring in the wastegate which took it to about 280hp but was still lighter by about 300 lbs. there was a 7 mile long straightaway thru the woods in the next county, we did standing starts, rolling starts and a top speed run. the 928 was quicker off the line but the turbo won in a roll on once it came on boost. they were nearly identical from 70 to top speed and side by side at an indicated l62, both at redline. both models gradually increased in hp but it was pretty interesting at the time. looking for old photos, it may take a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
6 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

.... we used to do all kinds of stupid crap including racing late at night on the only perfect 4 leaf clover in town, you just stayed on it, great fun...

Your wild and crazy may be bigger than mine...

• Smile 1
8 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

What else it tucked away in your garage?

Nothing fancy really, just some old stuff i've hung onto over the years enjoy driving and the nostalgia. 944S2, an old Targa I need to reassemble, couple Boxsters and a 996, I do prefer open air motoring whenever possible.

3E43DE03-9B01-48BF-B299-807081F2CCEA.thumb.jpeg.efe9713a2b3547829137d11aecb04a5e.jpeg

A2765A9D-22B1-4057-AA61-0B68664BE906.thumb.jpeg.25af0d47837da31b461ac48c6ede11fa.jpeg

4DE2D013-EBBE-45A5-B6BE-73C97D7DBAA0.thumb.jpeg.87f0933d4c7ef5383e658d6889740a39.jpeg

image.thumb.png.f6ebc6d0017d56c7e751badaec0a6047.png

• Like 6
Dennis Andress
46 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Is that real grass?,...if so, looks real nice!!

Do you want it? I could wash it and send it to you….

A wet desert. 
IMG_0706.thumb.jpeg.879a85061c261d252e608456af346450.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Do you want it? I could wash it and send it to you….

A wet desert. 
IMG_0706.thumb.jpeg.879a85061c261d252e608456af346450.jpeg

Well, after spending this fall seeding the shiat outta my yard and then not getting enough rain, ill take what i can get. 

Maybe ill have better luck in early spring seeding. Too much yard to water, although i have been exploring digging a sprinkler system in, too far down on the priority list though. 

26 minutes ago, SDCRJohn said:

Was it priced reasonably?

I don’t think so but, I’m not even on the same playground as Bill. :spittake:  It had 180 something thousand miles on it and it was priced at just under $10,000. :classic_ohmy:

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I don’t think so but, I’m not even on the same playground as Bill. :spittake:  It had 180 something thousand miles on it and it was priced at just under $10,000. :classic_ohmy:

image.png.89fdcaf195711322f3fd732659fdd43c.png

Tough to say Pat, there are several variables. First off it's a '76 first year with an electric mirror but only driver's side, 75 had a chrome stationary mirror, and 77 had passenger side electric too. 76 was also the only year for the 9l2E, a 9ll body with a VW 4 cylinder pancake engine with only around 90 hp. they've been gaining in value recently but still nowhere near a similar year 9ll. The only visual way to tell from that pic is by the wheels, pretty sure the 9l2e came with l4" alloys (leftovers from 9l4-6's) which those look like but they could be l5's which likely makes it a 9llS but again, hard to know for sure.

It does have optional sport seats which are worth considerably more than standard ones these days but a normal person wouldn't necessarily know that. One other point of trivia, the color is copper metallic brown and first available in l976. If you noticed above my 76 turbo was that color although I had it painted soon after purchase so it looked pretty good. Even more trivia, the first owner of my 930 was Mercury Morris, running back for the Dolphins and that car was at least as fast and agile as he was, it won quite a few autocrosses although never went undefeated like the 72 Fins : )

There are several reasons why it may have been flagged, someone assumed it was a scam (it may not have been with that mileage and engine plus it needs a paint job and who knows what else), or a dealer/flipper had it flagged quickly so no one else would see it, or it actually was a scam.  I’d keep an eye out, it may resurface. 

whether a 9l2e or not, for anyone interested in the one year only pcar here's a good article and fun interview with tanner foust.

https://www.912registry.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=22055&module_id=184871

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, roadscholar said:

image.png.89fdcaf195711322f3fd732659fdd43c.png

Tough to say Pat..

//snip...

...the first owner of my 930 was Mercury Morris, running back for the Dolphins and that car was at least as fast and agile as he was, it won quite a few autocrosses although never went undefeated like the 72 Fins : )

I’d keep an eye out, it may resurface.

"Double M" (Mercury Morris - and what a fitting name)- Great story. I've been a (long suffering) life long Fins fan - because as a little boy, I liked Dolphins. Then '72 happened, and that set the hook.

I had a 68 912 that I bought from a Aunt's boss in Westport, CT. He had a 76 912E he'd replaced the '68 with. The car I bought a not quite turd brown in color, had a black driver's seat and a white passenger. And it had cancer. I was 16 and I bought it for $800 if memory serves. We had to jump it to get it going, and at the time the gas

crisis was on and Connecticut was on a last number even or odd license plate system on what day you could get gas. Waiting in line, I got several compliments on the car which surprised me given how bad it looked. Of course it had NO POWER.

We went back home, leaving the car at my Aunt's. I was heading off for my first year at Culver Military Academy, and I had very little time to get the car home before going off to school. I flew out on Thursday, planning to drive straight home starting Friday. I had to be at school on Monday. I lost the alternator 90 minutes in and got towed to the Porsche dealer. They charged the battery, but didn't have time to do the alternator before they closed. I drove out back to my aunt's, left it in there driveway and few back home.

That first year at school, I would go through Performance Products (Porsche) catalog and price all the performance mods (pistons, etc) I could to hot rod the anemic 4 cylinder.

Meanwhile, my near-turd brown 912 was becoming an eye sore and taking up valuable driveway space. About halfway through the school year, I got a message to call my Aunt. She had a buyer and needed to car gone. I had no choice, took offered  ("I'm doing your a favor, this car is all rusted out" said the buyer) $450 in the shorts and went into depression.

I bought the car because the college student neighbor across the street restored 356's. I was 11 when they moved across the street. I spent as much time in his garage as I could, waiting to see the garage door go up, and then I made a bee line to the garage. That's how I caught The Porsche Fever.

I had assumed he would work on the 912 for/with me.

Turns out the neighbor across the street moved back to California that next summer, so in the end, I got off easy losing the $350 and never getting the car home.

Whew, that was a long way around!

• Like 4
Dennis Andress
30 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

"Double M" (Mercury Morris - and what a fitting name)- Great story. I've been a (long suffering) life long Fins fan - because as a little boy, I liked Dolphins. Then '72 happened, and that set the hook.

I had a 68 912 that I bought from a Aunt's boss in Westport, CT. He had a 76 912E he'd replaced the '68 with. The car I bought a not quite turd brown in color, had a black driver's seat and a white passenger. And it had cancer. I was 16 and I bought it for $800 if memory serves. We had to jump it to get it going, and at the time the gas

crisis was on and Connecticut was on a last number even or odd license plate system on what day you could get gas. Waiting in line, I got several compliments on the car which surprised me given how bad it looked. Of course it had NO POWER.

We went back home, leaving the car at my Aunt's. I was heading off for my first year at Culver Military Academy, and I had very little time to get the car home before going off to school. I flew out on Thursday, planning to drive straight home starting Friday. I had to be at school on Monday. I lost the alternator 90 minutes in and got towed to the Porsche dealer. They charged the battery, but didn't have time to do the alternator before they closed. I drove out back to my aunt's, left it in there driveway and few back home.

That first year at school, I would go through Performance Products (Porsche) catalog and price all the performance mods (pistons, etc) I could to hot rod the anemic 4 cylinder.

Meanwhile, my near-turd brown 912 was becoming an eye sore and taking up valuable driveway space. About halfway through the school year, I got a message to call my Aunt. She had a buyer and needed to car gone. I had no choice, took offered  ("I'm doing your a favor, this car is all rusted out" said the buyer) $450 in the shorts and went into depression.

I bought the car because the college student neighbor across the street restored 356's. I was 11 when they moved across the street. I spent as much time in his garage as I could, waiting to see the garage door go up, and then I made a bee line to the garage. That's how I caught The Porsche Fever.

I had assumed he would work on the 912 for/with me.

Turns out the neighbor across the street moved back to California that next summer, so in the end, I got off easy losing the $350 and never getting the car home.

Whew, that was a long way around!

So….   Might I ask, what’s in your garage?

On 11/24/2023 at 4:19 PM, roadscholar said:

Nothing fancy really, just some old stuff i've hung onto over the years enjoy driving and the nostalgia. 944S2, an old Targa I need to reassemble, couple Boxsters and a 996, I do prefer open air motoring whenever possible.

3E43DE03-9B01-48BF-B299-807081F2CCEA.thumb.jpeg.efe9713a2b3547829137d11aecb04a5e.jpeg

A2765A9D-22B1-4057-AA61-0B68664BE906.thumb.jpeg.25af0d47837da31b461ac48c6ede11fa.jpeg

4DE2D013-EBBE-45A5-B6BE-73C97D7DBAA0.thumb.jpeg.87f0933d4c7ef5383e658d6889740a39.jpeg

image.thumb.png.f6ebc6d0017d56c7e751badaec0a6047.png

PICTURES OF THE VAULT!!!!!

• Like 1

Ya, the Daihatsu appear to be the better rated ones, and then I think Subaru. 

I had one for work in Japan similar to this:

image.png.bdf52c168b2e4e934ed3ae1d36c6ea5b.png

I was 'specail 'cause I'd have that truck right at the gangway when we pulled in so I could load my equipment and drive directly to my on shore work location.  Never had to wait on transportation.  Supply guy would find me, give me the key and I'd load it with my stuff.  Wife would meet me at my office.  Avoid all the homecoming crowd stoopid stuff.  And they kinda fun to drive,.....you can bounce the shit outta them to get them over the curbs.

What would be really nice is to find one with the tri-dump bed, but those go for more than I'd like to spend.

Likely leaning toward a plain one with prolly with A/C, 4WD (diff lock), not too keen on getting an auto, but if I use it in the pastures and around the property, might come in handier.

There's a few around here in the $7k range,....the dump beds hit the mid teens.

And they do come in different colors, but white is the majority

• Like 2

who gives a ff, if you're thing is outgunning teenagers in mustangs and hemi's at a traffic light you need to grow up : ) and yeah it's butt ugly, quit being be a dick elon. :classic_biggrin: 

Well, there are people that like to drag race,......so there's that.  Gotta admit, it's pretty neat that it beat a porsche while pulling a trailer with a porsche on the trailer......still an ugly truck

8 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

fixed it..

I think NHRA would disagree with you

And I think these Thai guys would disagree also

• Like 1

Yeah, but after that drag race the Porsche put a splash of fuel in and went on their way.  The Cyber "truck?"  Well.............

:lurk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, roadscholar said:
51 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Well, there are immature people that still like to drag race,.

fixed it..

Sweet, I'm still immature! (Like there was ever a doubt.) But I'd rather lose races than drive that ugly "truck".

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
9 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Sweet, I'm still immature! (Like there was ever a doubt.) But I'd rather lose races than drive that ugly "truck".

I'd prolly drive the ugly truck as it is more useful to me,.....not that I'd ever buy one of those ugly things, but if a gift is given, use it.

9 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Yeah, but after that drag race the Porsche put a splash of fuel in and went on their way.  The Cyber "truck?"  Well.............

:lurk:

I dunno, it's only a 1/4 mile floored yanking just under 4kish (capacity is 11k), supposed to have just over 400 range on that model, so I'd guess it could still pull off quite a bit of mileage.  

apocalypse car, probably still running long after everything else in the photo, can't kill it..  love the clean little square on the w/s, classic  : )

• Like 1