IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

Dennis Andress
15 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

whether it's cool or not is one thing, whether it's worth the asking price is entirely another. ...

Today's market seems to be based on perceived 'want' rather than value. .

Edited by Dennis Andress
Today's world seems to be based on perceived 'want' rather than value.
14 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

whether it's cool or not is one thing, whether it's worth the asking price is entirely another. i searched craigslist nationwide and it's the only one currently for sale so i'm linking bat results over the past few years to show some comparables. yes i know some think bring a trailer is full of dummies paying ridiculous sums for nice cars but if you don't like it find another source where cars actually change hands.

https://bringatrailer.com/search/?s=porsche+356c+cabriolet

would i pay what they're bringing these days, no, but i've had and restored many (and i mean a lot) when they were worth a tenth of that and less, so am glad i no longer have to worry about it : )

6D2568F9-32F3-42EF-83EB-C2330AE5316A.thumb.jpeg.8d25628ed40d7f60579bfe2ad343778d.jpeg

87475258-50F0-46EB-9AD9-9D353E839C68.thumb.jpeg.a2364fa214ebd1a83a22a5b13e74fecd.jpeg

5131B3D0-B1BE-434A-A256-CCEB50E13A0D.thumb.jpeg.a967dc13716744dafaef6ba9bd908045.jpeg

1AB28D11-84D0-494E-8BD7-6B1A6EF6814C.thumb.jpeg.a1d9f23c9048cadf4cf39e5c26531414.jpeg

1ADD3B89-02EE-4D9F-97C3-903961A2FA86.thumb.jpeg.496844a528f54259b50a18b29e4e9c98.jpeg

this is last one is a 56 Speedster I restored and sold it to a guy for about $18,500. In the 80’s, he still has it, it’s worth around $300k now.

65DA1075-69CE-44D3-B43B-0E5EEB1D5EC2.thumb.jpeg.aa17c70cd23b52cea089a861b925d6a5.jpeg

Wow, nice cars Bill! 

That last statement has to pinch just a little! But if we could see into the future… :dontknow:

14 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Today's market seems to based on perceived 'want' rather than value.

personally i think it's all overhyped but as long as there are buyers out there the trend continues. appears we're in a bit of a slump at the moment but whether it's the season or it recovers in springtime will be the question.  

2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Wow, nice cars Bill! 

That last statement has to pinch just a little! But if we could see into the future… :dontknow:

true pat it's all about the timing, i sold some way too soon but you can't keep 'em all. made it back on a few others though, can't complain too much. 

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
11 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

personally i think it's all overhyped but as long as there are buyers out there the trend continues. appears we're in a bit of a slump at the moment but whether it's the season or it recovers in springtime is the question.  

I accepted long ago that people buying the hype are funding the cool shit on my bikes.

Consumer spending has been high for a long time. That has always behaved like a candle in the wind.

• Like 1

there's a lot of disposable cash out there and bring a trailer is a good place to observe it. most of the buyers are enthusiasts but also see the cars as tangible assets that aren't depreciating and consider it a win/win. i saw the bubble burst once in the late 80's on the blue chips (ferrari's and porsche factory race cars) and was even warned by one of the world's foremost experts it was coming. the lead up to it was mesmerizing and hard to grasp and i rationalized i wasn't in it for the money (and never was really, it was just a nice side effect) so held on for the long term. the expensive stuff lost over 50% of it's value overnight but within a few years was back where it left off. i think what we're seeing now (and am only referring to pcars because it's what i watch) is the secondary market (average joe) sees what the race cars are bringing now and just want a piece of the action. i remember telling a buddy in the 80's (because the 9l0 was doubling in value every year), we needed to buy every nice open 356 we could (and we did) because they'd be next. turned out to be true but we had no idea of the long term consequences 20 years later. like any market there are ebbs and flows but whether what we're seeing now is sustainable is anyone's guess so be careful out there : )

• Like 1

Not sure if I told the story, my neighbor gets a new toy car every few years, a few different makes and models over the years, but mostly a Vette guy. Bought a '14(?) Boxster for a good price, did his research to understand problem areas, etc. Really liked it, so much smoother than his old Vettes, handled like a dream. Sold it because it was too nice, which made me laugh.  Made a tidy profit, picked up a '71 Vette convertible with a 454 and 4 speed. Gotta say, that one makes me look over when he starts it up and heads out, the Porsche not so much, even though a nice car.

33 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

go drive both of them and report back. oh wait, you ride a harley.  :grin:

Yup, anything after that is a step up!

• Smile 1
1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

That’s just about perfect except I need it in the 35k range. :read: :spittake:

Speaking about corvettes, I know a builder (a very successful builder) in town. He started out life as a landscaper and I did some driving for him years ago. I haven’t seen him in a while but he’s doing a project in town that required some blasting (think I posted a blast).

Anyway, the FD has to be there when dynamite is on site. While doing a detail I ended up talking to him again. Asked what he’s been doing for fun, said he has a couple corvettes, I asked if he ever test drove a Porsche, he said no.

I didn’t have time to push the idea on him and I’m not really an authority on the subject anyway, but if I see him again I’m going to encourage it a little more. I think he’d probably slap himself for not trying one sooner.

That’s my corvette connection contribution! :classic_biggrin:

Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

That’s just about perfect except I need it in the 35k range. :read: :spittake:

If you accept the local belief that Phoenix is but East L. A., then Scottsdale would be Pebble Beach...

image.thumb.png.4f10470c57cf3bde21047395ed008b9f.png

• Smile 1

Things you can find as a Carchaeologist. :spittake: It’s just an opening pic in a YouTube video but, I found it an interesting visual. All the years it just sat there and nobody wanted it. :dontknow:  @roadscholar Bill, would you try and resurrect something like this? Or is it too far gone… 
image.thumb.jpeg.532c85b3fe172c80ac9dcf813f8c21df.jpeg

edit..

I didn’t watch the video but I think they took a chance on it.

edit 2

The video isn’t that great (no talking) but the funny thing is it’s a different car I think. :dontknow:

yep, two different cars pat, the first photo is a 60 or 6l coupe, the least desirable of 356's, remember what i mentioned about the rounded hood (single grill) and squared off hood (twin grill). likely a high 5 figure car restored and would cost more than that to do it these days. the c cab is probably worth restoring because of it's finished value. only glanced at the video but the hardtop with a sunroof is really rare ($$$), in the 40 years of messing with them have only seen one, a buddy and i bought it. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

And both so worth the effort! 

There’s an old saying “show me a beautiful woman and I’ll show you a guy tired of driving her” (not FT) ;) I never heard that saying substituted with “a beautiful car”. :dontknow: :rofl:

Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

Ewan McGregor’s '72 911 for sale. one of the comments was, 'may the Porsche be with you'.  :classic_biggrin:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-911t-targa-29/  

So I'm reading along enjoying and kind of wanting this car....  Then I read this:

"factory equipped with Bosch mechanical fuel injection"

And I had this really painful flashback to Frankfurt in 1985 and helping a friend scour every American GI junkyard we knew of for a BMW 2002 with working mechanical fuel injection. There were none

left lane law getting some traction here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/new-florida-bill-makes-left-lanes-passing-only-or-youll-pay-what-to-know-about-hb-317/ar-AA1lkxvv

"All of us who travel back and forth to Tallahassee experience frustration on the major highways and frustration caused by drivers impeding the flow of traffic in the left lane," Persons-Mulicka said. “This creates a dangerous situation, when drivers unnecessarily camp out in the left lane. It leads to blocking traffic flow, less predictability, more encounters, more passing maneuvers and more opportunities for accidents.”

“encounters”.. translation, road rage..

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

Housework and guests have kept me from wandering, and now it's supposed to rain. So.....    My mouse has been wandering...

Great car, with more electrical gremlins than an old Vincent.
image.thumb.png.94b72f15ed8668f6d7bfe47762c563aa.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Housework and guests have kept me from wandering, and now it's supposed to rain. So.....    My mouse has been wandering...

Great car, with more electrical gremlins than an old Vincent.
image.thumb.png.94b72f15ed8668f6d7bfe47762c563aa.png

I get a kick out of every test and review of Alphas, they love the cars, but have yet to have one make it thru the testing procedure without breaking down.

On 12/21/2023 at 4:19 PM, Dennis Andress said:

After reading a few of those reviews the cars have a bad ground, somewhere…

like every Alfa ever built....or so it seems.:dontknow:

• Like 1
On 12/18/2023 at 11:54 AM, Dennis Andress said:

Happy Monday!

image.thumb.png.e299b78518aa55149124625522e446bc.png

2 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

That's beautiful from above!  Form plus function.....

Bedroom eyes, thin waist, curvy hips what’s not to like? :dontknow: Oh wait we’re talking about cars… sorry. :classic_blush: 

• Smile 1
Dennis Andress
33 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

@Dennis Andress visits Rushmore! :yes:

The first time I watched the video the responsible side of me said: Don't bad ass a $184,000 car on a road surrounded by rocks and trees. That would make it a drive like no other. I watched it again and realized the car isn't going very fast at all. It does look like fun all the same. I could see myself doing it, say real early on a Sunday morning. I'd have to find somebody really good with a drone. Getting there could be the best part; I'm comfortable in the little car for about 250 miles a day, so the trip would take five or six days. There are a lot of fun roads between here and there...

• Like 1
On 12/23/2023 at 8:48 AM, TEWKS said:

Bedroom eyes, thin waist, curvy hips what’s not to like? :dontknow: Oh wait we’re talking about cars… sorry. :classic_blush: 

image.png.ab546703afdd5701b653853a069c6623.png

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I'm comfortable in the little car for about 250 miles a day,

Early and mid 70's I used to drive my 356 from Daytona to Aspen non stop except for an hour in Boulder to get the jets changed, around 30 hours total. But, was a bit younger then plus they were/are very comfortable little cars. 

64F4F65E-6B23-4AF9-B159-203941BF2748.thumb.jpeg.00c447ce179aa91e3f6e191dba8b0216.jpeg

• Like 3

"Hearing it is one thing.  Seeing it another."   Feeling it as I drive it would be a LOT better experiencing both sensations!   

I want one; just need my Travel Itinerary Director and Financial Advisor, a.k.a, @wbw6cos2 to purchase a Golden Ticket.   :yes:

Dennis Andress

Microsoft began selling an embedded operating system about the time of windows me. They've done well with it. On the other hand, Ford is cheap and stuck with an infotainment system for about a decade too long. It's been a few years, but I recall that live support was available somewhere on Ford's update site.