IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

^ Spectator or Participant? :cool: :classic_biggrin:

This One was for sale last year sometime and I balked at the color. It showed back up on Craigslist a few days ago (same owner) for $32,500. :dontknow: Same thing, kicked around the brown…who the heck has a brown sports car? :dontknow: Anyway, this dealership scoffed it up and is going to make 5K on the flip. It looks pretty good in their pictures. :4331:

Mike what’s it called again? Oh yeah, “get a clue”. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

who the heck has a brown sports car?

I will say that the color does look great in person.........:java:

• Thanks 1

A lot! :dopeslap: :classic_biggrin: You were supposed to say ya, that brown looks like a turd. :rofl: Probably a mistake, my other guy (car) has gone silent so IDK what’s going on there. :dontknow:

Alan, any pictures of your old (I think old) (gone) Boxster? 

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

A lot! :dopeslap: :classic_biggrin: You were supposed to say ya, that brown looks like a turd. :rofl: Probably a mistake, my other guy (car) has gone silent so IDK what’s going on there. :dontknow:

Alan, any pictures of your old (I think old) (gone) Boxster? 

No... I can't find any...... 2001 Guards Red with saddle interior.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

No... I can't find any...... 2001 Guards Red with saddle interior.

Probably something like this… ;) :thumbsup:

image.thumb.jpeg.2a281fba8b6d3388adc9925c0c2dde04.jpeg

• Like 1

Just for conversation purposes here’s the Mahogany Brown Metallic that didn’t work for me in the Craigslist ad last week. This picture is kinda kicking my arse because it looks pretty damn good here. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5edc9223a48ffb2908ab43f9c6a4fbfa.jpeg

edit

see what I mean…🤔

image.thumb.jpeg.82e0be04b344482333d770bc8a769849.jpeg

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Probably something like this… ;) :thumbsup:

image.thumb.jpeg.2a281fba8b6d3388adc9925c0c2dde04.jpeg

That is exactly it...... damn you......I liked that car but my wife liked the R129 SL better.

• Haha 1
Dennis Andress

The best example of unobtainium I’ve ever seen!

IMG_1193.jpeg

• Smile 2

^ Neat, comes with its own picnic table on the back. :spittake:

Found this 24,000 mile Cayman Base Model in what appears to be pristine condition. Might go a peeking on Saturday. :java:

IMG_0727.thumb.jpeg.4e59c48cb40912deda70e9b4cab05290.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

The best example of unobtainium I’ve ever seen!

I much prefer the more subdued (and much cheaper) GT3 Touring version:grin:.

Nice picture! :cool: I’m taking a drive up north this morning to look at a car. There’s still some of that white stuff on the ground up there, I think. 🥶 No, it shouldn’t be that cold, but there’s funny story behind this one that I might tell later.

A damn cute couple I’d say!  😘 :rofl:

image.thumb.jpeg.da915976f46d6fefbde4faaa57e8a345.jpeg

So here’s the funny story I mentioned earlier. I made contact with the owner and we were talking for a while when the topic came up about employment. He’s a brown “Boxflyer”,  oh, just ask Brad. I told him I’m a firefighter in Massachusetts, no town mentioned. He goes, do you know “Che” ? (nickname) I almost fell on the floor, “Che” is my current Lt. on the engine! :classic_ohmy: Thought I was being pranked but he and Che are cottage neighbors up on Winnipesaukee. He just tossed the dart and bam, bullseye! :classic_biggrin:

Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

The car is very nice, it’s not pristine but it’s also nine years old. The white Boxster S I’ve been chasing is the better deal based on the window stickers and asking prices for both cars. The Boxster isn’t on the market at the moment which makes buying it a little problematic. :classic_mellow: The owner, is doing some life evaluations but said I’d be the first person he’d call if he decides to sell it.

So, that’s the story for today, and I’m sticking to it.  :read:

IMG_4840.thumb.jpeg.3e3cbaf0e5a42e690ce8f204239c6ed7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
Dennis Andress
51 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

So here’s the funny story I 

Do it. Everyone will want one after the show melts…

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Question for you in the know Porsche guys.

This Cayman’s left rear tire was worn more than the right rear. Asked if the right may have been replaced at a different time ie unrepairable flat tire or something. He said no on that possible explanation. It was worn evenly across the whole tire.

Strange, any idea why the left rear would wear out before the right?  

Hosstage

Hammering hard thru more right turns and curves on his normal drive route?

Or, it may need an alignment or worn parts replaced.

Is he a big boy, putting more weight on that side? 

• Thanks 1

No, slim, he does have some curvy roads he likes to exercise it on but the one he took me on was about equal left vs right. Good thoughts though! :thumbsup:

Dennis Andress

Alignment or the tires haven’t been rotated (and may be old and hard). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
BamaJohn
22 hours ago, TEWKS said:

So here’s the funny story I mentioned earlier. I made contact with the owner and we were talking for a while when the topic came up about employment. He’s a brown “Boxflyer”,  oh, just ask Brad. I told him I’m a firefighter in Massachusetts, no town mentioned. He goes, do you know “Che” ? (nickname) I almost fell on the floor, “Che” is my current Lt. on the engine! :classic_ohmy: Thought I was being pranked but he and Che are cottage neighbors up on Winnipesaukee. He just tossed the dart and bam, bullseye! :classic_biggrin:

Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

The car is very nice, it’s not pristine but it’s also nine years old. The white Boxster S I’ve been chasing is the better deal based on the window stickers and asking prices for both cars. The Boxster isn’t on the market at the moment which makes buying it a little problematic. :classic_mellow: The owner, is doing some life evaluations but said I’d be the first person he’d call if he decides to sell it.

So, that’s the story for today, and I’m sticking to it.  :read:

IMG_4840.thumb.jpeg.3e3cbaf0e5a42e690ce8f204239c6ed7.jpeg

...and you made a new friend!  

• Plus 1 1

The owner, very nice guy, and that’s backed up by my workmate who knows him well. Listen to this offer… He flys for a living as mentioned above and he has a private plane also. He said if we make a deal he’ll fly down to Lawrence or Minuteman airport and pick me up and fly me back up to the car. :cool:

That’s a pretty cool offer right there! :yes:

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

It's like riding. Any excuse to get out!

If you don’t mind sharing what’s your fun car, Randy? I forget if it ever came up in conversation here. 

• Like 1
RandyShields
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

If you don’t mind sharing what’s your fun car, Randy? I forget if it ever came up in conversation here. 

No it never did, because I am boring when it comes to cars.  Had an MGB in the early 80s, and a 280ZX in the late 80s, but it has been comfortable German sedans ever since, which I generally keep for 8-10 years.  No interest in a Porsche because it is too hard to get in and out of them.  My need for adrenaline and speed is satisfied with my motorcycles and, more recently, with flying gliders.

20230924_115614.thumb.jpg.bf2b5d4ac556d8098ad94934bbeec7b7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

No it never did, because I am boring when it comes to cars.  Had an MGB in the early 80s, and a 280ZX in the late 80s, but it has been comfortable German sedans ever since, which I generally keep for 8-10 years.  No interest in a Porsche because it is too hard to get in and out of them.  My need for adrenaline and speed is satisfied with my motorcycles.  And more recently, flying gliders.  20230924_115614.thumb.jpg.bf2b5d4ac556d8098ad94934bbeec7b7.jpg

Looks like a Schweitzer 233. I've logged many flights in one of those and the older 222, something over 500ish. Used to fly with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, but it's been many years ago now.

• Like 2
RandyShields
3 minutes ago, EdM said:

Looks like a Schweitzer 233. I've logged many flights in one of those and the older 222, something over 500ish. Used to fly with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, but it's been many years ago now.

You are correct sir!  Old and rugged, but still flying.  The owners manual is from the RC program (painted yellow I believe), where they used these gliders a lot.  I only have a fraction of your hours but enjoying the learning process.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, RandyShields said:

You are correct sir!  Old and rugged, but still flying.  The owners manual is from the RC program (painted yellow I believe), where they used these gliders a lot.  I only have a fraction of your hours but enjoying the learning process.

Yes, the RCAC gliders got painted in yellow with a blue stripe down the fuselage and on the wing tips. I wonder what the original Canadian registration was on that one, I may have even flown it. The gliders were very well maintained and most went through a complete rebuild at least once in their life. They would be completely stripped down, everything checked and repaired including x-raying the frames for cracks - same for the Bellanca Scout tow planes. Two of my close friends worked on that program over several winters. The gliders did of course serve a pretty hard life being used almost exclusively for training and a few suffered crashes over the years even.

• Like 1

Back to the Porsche I don’t even own. But if I did, for $800 bucks I’d do this to the wheels and for $300 bucks I’d do this to the doors. New set of tires at $1500 and sale tax is a couple grand, oh insurance, that’s $1300 bucks. Cold sweats off and on, but right now they’re off. :yes: 

image.jpeg.3ebda6096b8a35b2384c0866b4ae8c81.jpeg

IMG_0749.jpeg

• Smile 1
Hosstage

Good Lord, would you just go buy a Porsche already for Chrissakes!

:4317:

:/

• Haha 6
Dennis Andress

These things are supposed to have three mufflers. Mine has only two… I hope I greatly offended the Tesla I passed this morning. 

IMG_1215.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
BamaJohn
On 3/31/2024 at 7:21 PM, TEWKS said:

That might be cooler than even a Porsche, Randy! :clap:

+1 Randy!

2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I hope I greatly offended the Tesla I passed this morning.

My neighbor who’s been a longtime “car guy” pulled up the other day in his brand new Tesla. Now, he had a Porsche, an Audi or three and some others over the years. Told him my Porsche story (I tell everyone as you may know :rofl:) and he said before you do anything, take this for a drive. No, I just said no. :java: 

It was nice and all but not even close to the reason why I’m looking and talking about a car.

Oldrider51
7 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

My neighbor who’s been a longtime “car guy” pulled up the other day in his brand new Tesla. Now, he had a Porsche, an Audi or three and some others over the years. Told him my Porsche story (I tell everyone as you may know :rofl:) and he said before you do anything, take this for a drive. No, I just said no. :java: 

It was nice and all but not even close to the reason why I’m looking and talking about a car.

I would say that he was not a "car guy" if he likes a Telsa for any reason other than he is really a "geek".

• Haha 2
Dennis Andress
20 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I enjoyed the Taycan loaner I had a couple of months ago. I think it would be the perfect car for a congested commute. Problem is, my 50 year old house doesn't have any outside electrical outlets.

• Like 2
Hosstage
26 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I enjoyed the Taycan loaner I had a couple of months ago. I think it would be the perfect car for a congested commute. Problem is, my 50 year old house doesn't have any outside electrical outlets.

Easily remedied. It's just money!

Dennis Andress
16 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I need a garage where i can legally mount a sub-panel first...

Hosstage
14 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I need a garage where i can legally mount a sub-panel first...

32 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Pretty much the answer for all issues!

John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I'm spending a couple of weeks attending  family funerals.  It ain't going to end well for any of us; so, get what you want now.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry John, not that it’s easy either way but, I hope nobody was gypped out of time. 

• Like 1
syntorz
53 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

I'm spending a couple of weeks attending  family funerals.  It ain't going to end well for any of us; so, get what you want now.

"Don't be the richest guy in the cemetary", my bro-in-law likes to say.

• Plus 1 1
John Ranalletta
13 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Sorry John, not that it’s easy either way but, I hope nobody was gypped out of time. 

Thanks, Pat, but, no.  My sister died at 93 after 4 years in memory care (Alzheimers) and a sister-in-law, aged 94.  Always sad to lose family but not unexpected.

• Like 3
roadscholar

That was pretty good from a self-described non-Porsche guy, he hit on many of the aspects that makes them great cars. Guess I was lucky to have them when they were mostly $2-5k used cars in the 70's not to mention the benefits of an ascending market over the next few decades. Jerry's correct, to understand what sets them apart and how they evolved you need to drive a late 356 or early 911 which is getting tougher to do these days : ) I've mentioned it before, they're sort of the 4 wheel equivalent of the BMW Boxer's evolution from early airhead up to now, the tech parallels each other with remarkable resemblance.

Think I also mentioned you don't need to spend a ton to enjoy the driving experience, a nice 986/7 can be an excellent gateway, not only are they great driving cars, they're well built (986's especially), fairly easy to maintain and are pretty much done depreciating. Came across this BaT story awhile back, nice writeup of a fly and drive by the author and it brought back memories of some of the many I've done in 356's and 911's over the years from all over the country, fun stuff. 

https://bringatrailer.com/2024/01/22/bat-auction-success-story-a-boxster-on-the-american-autobahn/

• Like 2
Darbarian

I was a Porsche 912, then 356B, then 356A Speedster owner and agree that those were all honest, mechanically connected, responsive and well built. Current prices for good condition examples are completely impractical. Buy a Honda CRX instead.  However, Porsche 944s are still a very good value with most of the attributes that makes them excellent cars and underappreciated when compared to their more overpriced brethren.  As with all cars that old, condition makes nearly all the difference. A fixer-upper is a money pit to be avoided. Excellent condition is a bargain. Also, later models were a whole lot better than earlier and the market does not seem to care ... enough to make the older ones worth getting. 

roadscholar
4 hours ago, Darbarian said:

mechanically connected,

One thing I'm not a big fan of is electric power steering which I think started with the 981/991's, on the cars I've driven with it much of the feel (connectivity to the road) is missing which to me is the main reason for driving one, and articles I've read seem to agree. Of course the best are the old cars with no assist at all but that's only possible with a rear or mid engine design. Driving an air-cooled 911 is like no other car out there, you feel everything that rolls under the tires good or bad, the steering/suspension is almost hyper sensitive and consequently requires you constantly drive the car, that's not a bad thing but you need to pay attention. It's not that noticeable on surface roads because it's when you're driving the car but on the freeway at speed it is noticeable and requires regular monitoring. 

I've had several 944's they are good cars (and still have an S2 coupe and 968 cab) but for an entry level Pcar in the 15-20k range I'd take a nice 986/7 any day over one. 

Seems like I’ve been seeing the 987‘s price creeping up on the much newer 981 model years. :classic_ohmy: I’m not a mathematician but 987 old, 981, newer, 718 newest. :5150:

edit

I now see I compared an S with a base. :read:

roadscholar

Believe that's the point I've been hinting around at, Porsche's aren't necessarily like most other cars in the market, newer doesn't always equate to better. Yes, faster, better handling, quieter, bigger, heavier,  more luxurious, more complex and certainly more expensive but at the same time straying from what a lot of true afficionados have long appreciated about them. There is really no choice, the market dictates it, first and foremost they're a high end high performance engineering company that makes cars and have to stay abreast or ahead of the competition, it's just where the performance wars have brought us. Go to a few car's and coffee's and talk to owners with some of the older stuff, can't hurt and may be enlightening.

The 986/7 market is actually softening slightly at the moment but so is nearly everything else. There were a lot of them sold new but at the same time more and more people are figuring out they're really good cars for cheap money (comparatively) so in the long run would expect them to continue appreciating. 981's are still depreciating and at some point will likely enter upper 987 territory, it's getting close now and when it does people will have to choose whatever their preference is. 

• Like 2