IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

7 hours ago, syntorz said:

(Sorry, I was trying to be witty. Every time I see 'TMI' I think Three Mile Island. The pic made me think you maybe were having a gastro event on that same scale...)

I totally missed the reference as my mind was preoccupied with how to present the items of significant historical importance in these (Santa Susana) Mountains. 

I saw 3 M Island & thought what a perfect segway (jokes on me).  

No gastro event.  
Having pre-hydrated I make it a policy to not pass up an opportunity to pee especially when heading into urban territory.   

11 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

How long is that tunnel?

It's about 1.4 miles long. The only time I went inside was when the line was shut down due to human contact with a train........:java:  Not super comfortable being in there.:dontknow:

3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

You're braver than I... maybe 'cause the train wins all altercations.

a buddy drove a train for 40 years, they don't even try to stop, he's seen some crazy stuff.

2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

a buddy drove a train for 40 years, they don't even try to stop, he's seen some crazy stuff.

For those of you that aren't aware, the moving train has the right of way in all circumstances per a very old US Code (early 1800's IIRC).

The train is also the ultimate vehicle re: the "Lugnut" rule......... most/biggest always wins!

A train hitting your car is roughly the equivalent of your car hitting an aluminum can.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

You're braver than I... maybe 'cause the train wins all altercations.

This was pushing 50 yrs ago so yeah, I was a silly invincible kid back then.   

I think someone tried to run the work saw with the chain brake on. Cleaned out all the melted plastic but the clutch drum bearing is toast.

IMG_4453.thumb.jpeg.5c6aa1034c6cebed081c001e45c09607.jpeg

IMG_4452.thumb.jpeg.a1f0aa6d165d316afaf02639014efa6e.jpeg

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

I think someone tried to run the work saw with the chain brake on. Cleaned out all the melted plastic but the clutch drum bearing is toast.

IMG_4453.thumb.jpeg.5c6aa1034c6cebed081c001e45c09607.jpeg

IMG_4452.thumb.jpeg.a1f0aa6d165d316afaf02639014efa6e.jpeg

And they pay you big bucks for this "work"...........shameless.:rofl:

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

And they pay you big bucks for this "work"...........shameless.:rofl:

They actually pay me nothing for that part of the job because I’m not the department “mechanic” who does get a couple percent for the added position. But If I see something broken I’ll give it a try. :P Can’t help it. :dontknow:

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

They actually pay me nothing for that part of the job because I’m not the department “mechanic” who does get a couple percent for the added position. But If I see something broken I’ll give it a try. :P Can’t help it. :dontknow:

You must not be union!!!!:18:

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

You must not be union!!!!:18:

No we are Local 1647 but no infighting about who does what (to a point). Everybody works together to get the job done. PS.. I made that little vid if you get that far.

2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

No we are Local 1647 but no infighting about who does what (to a point). Everybody works together to get the job done. PS.. I made that little vid if you get that far.

Then ya not a real union.  Our union workers don't work outside their designated "job",......frustrating when I gotta deal with them.

Video does look like your style

• Like 1
On 11/26/2023 at 2:37 PM, Rougarou said:

Then ya not a real union.  Our union workers don't work outside their designated "job",......frustrating when I gotta deal with them.

Ooooo boy...the stories to tell, re: unionism

I was one of the instrument guys. Work order says "pressure gage xyz-123 isn't reading." So me and my partner unthread gauge from the pipe and take it back to our shop for testing, repair or replacement.

The "pipefitters" (don't call them "plumbers") were there waiting for us with their shop steward. You'd think we kicked their pet puppies or robbed their grandma or something. All we did was take away their five minutes of labor...which they always managed to stretch out to 60 minutes anyway, no matter the job. All hell was raised by them on that one.

Another employer, we're wheeling a piece of custom test equipment onto the factory floor at a GM auto plant. Put it here, says the guy. So we do, and I grab the power cord and get ready to plug it into the floor receptacle. Just like you plug your toaster in at home.

"STOP. You can't do that. We have to call the electrician, who's on lunch right now and has two other jobs ahead of you."  90 minutes later sparky shows up and takes 5 seconds to plug the cord in, just like I would have.

Yet another employer, I'm to install a chassis full of electronics into a control panel. "This electrician will help you," says site superintendent. Great, I can use a hand cause the stuff is heavy and space is cramped. I ask him to go to his parts trailer (construction site) and get a half dozen bolts, cause mine happen to be too short. He disappears with my bolts and *never* returns. I find out later he and his foreman are bitter because my company is supposedly doing "their" work. Disappearing with my hardware was payback. Screw them, I got the job done anyway.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
44 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Will they do Red White and Blue 🇺🇸

Yep, the app has seventy something pre-programmed settings.  Can also customize.  For general night use, we'll set some of the white light settings every few lights at a lower brightness

11 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Just unplug them, right?   Simple enough.   :dontknow:

• Like 1
On 12/3/2023 at 4:31 AM, Rougarou said:

No more putting up lights every year, these are permanent mount and can be customized for any holiday

IMG_3436.mov 12.94 MB · 8 downloads

Last year on this date, ironically while taking down the 'fall' lights and putting up the Xmas lights in the snow.  Cleats at the foot of the ladder iced up w/o the knowledge of the user.  Extension ladder and I did an oh shit straight down about 12 feet.  Broke two ribs, humerus, clavicle, and acromion joint. I've learned my lesson!  Always have the spousal unit steady the ladder.  :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Red said:

Last year on this date, ironically while taking down the 'fall' lights and putting up the Xmas lights in the snow.  Cleats at the foot of the ladder iced up w/o the knowledge of the user.  Extension ladder and I did an oh shit straight down about 12 feet.  Broke two ribs, humerus, clavicle, and acromion joint. I've learned my lesson!  Always have the spousal unit steady the ladder.  :facepalm:

Well, you didn't stack the ladder on paint cans on the stairs and fall.  Broke the ladder, big hole in the sheetrock and just a bruised leg.   Wife fixed the sheetrock:18:

• Thanks 1

Last of the tomatoes 

image.thumb.jpeg.bd9283adf824a998ed37d9d3bbf039b0.jpeg

December & January are the coldest months but no frost so far. 
Maybe I’ll get another crop before I rip them out for the next batch. 

• Like 2

Somebody needs to tell the Private how to wear that rifle badge and the coat should be more form fitting.  And somebody needs to tell the Staff Sergeant to line up that belt buckle,...and his shooting badges look a little off too.  Also, he's expert pistol but only marksman rifle,....holy cow, the rifle is sooo much easier to shoot.  Females shoulda kept the old style instead of getting the man style uniform.

Sorry, habit,....don't get me on war movies

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

You must of been one hard ass Marine! :rofl: I told them they looked awesome! :thumbsup:

Nah, but if you gonna represent in publick,.....represent properly:18:

• Like 3

We got a new fire truck this week, looks good with the black over red I think. :cool:

image.thumb.jpeg.e3c7fae77c4a7f6a2008eff1d9aff277.jpeg

It even comes with a color matching “Big Wheel” for downtime hijinks! :yes:

image.thumb.jpeg.d77128c8c4e9afa14c043e9b6793f6a0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3

I don’t have the spec sheet in front of me. Our unit, Monday is the day we’ll be going over it with the sales rep. I guess the presentation is about three hours which I’m told is two too many. :spittake:

I do know it has a thousand gallon water tank in place of our last truck’s seven hundred and fifty gallons. That will give you a little extra time during an initial fire attack to secure water from a fire hydrant.

A 450 HP Cummins motor and a fifteen hundred gallon per minute pump.

If I go much deeper, (see bullshitting) other than it’s red and black I’d probably have to correct myself on Monday night. ;)

It’s not even a high end specked out piece but man, remembering back to the apparatus they had when I got on the job, it’s quite impressive! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

It’s not even a high end specked out piece but man, remembering back to the apparatus they had when I got on the job, it’s quite impressive

Funny you posted this today.  I took a picture of a apparatus in use when you went to the academy!

20231216_101106.thumb.jpg.2209882f7ebdbb9a63c91592d902b438.jpg

• Like 1
  • Smile 2

Hey the one on the left looks like our old piece! :rofl:

Nice! :thumbsup: No, not quite that old, ;) This was a front run piece though. An old LaFrance

IMG_4498.jpeg.e0d2d8291669a2ec5d22de5ab78b2c93.jpeg

• Like 1