IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

About 4:00 this morning. I wasn’t there so I don’t have the specifics but it was a birthday party rental place (bouncy houses) and things like that.

My son and his Lt had to exit a window after running low on air. That’s the kinda call where you earn your money in firefighting

IYKWIM. No harm no foul, :4315: the experience gained is valuable. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5fbfc687310381918016bc4884a9bb29.jpeg

Screenshot2024-01-24at10_15_56AM.jpeg.b66f85e548b719c9031a449733518196.jpeg

Good on them.

On low air,....the wife wanted me to get scuba certified so I could dive with her.  I told her to rent the gear and tell me what I needed to do.  she's like no, you need to be certified.  I queried back, Is the PADI police gonna be under the water checking certs.  Anyway, I got certed.

I'm an air hog, I kinda like breathing and I use alot of O2.   So we go on a dive together, she signals she's ready to come up.  We surface, she asks how much air I have left,.....100psi.  I get fussed at 'cuz you supposed to have something like 500psi.

I tell her no worry's, I got the pony tank, your pony tank and you got plenty air left.

Anyway, my dive book only has the minimum five dives logged.  Never logged any after getting cert'd and went a'plenty of times.

So, when you 75-100ft deep and look at your wrist with 200psi, consider yourself low on air,....but wife was enjoying herself, so it's worth the chance.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

^ Envelopes aren’t just made for mailing letters, sometimes they need to be pushed. ;) :spittake:

• Smile 1
On 1/25/2024 at 10:29 AM, TEWKS said:

Just a follow up on that fire. There was a short video taken, not sure why he stopped it when he did :dontknow: but if you listen, you can hear their low air alarms going off. 
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1552934198814448&id=100069243324995

Ya, I don't hear that, must be the pitch thing.

Anyway, three firedudes to put up a ladder?!!1,... send them to my place, I'll show them how one person can get a ladder up pretty high by a single person:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Prolly them safety/OSHA type rules eh?

• Like 2

Usually 2. They were acting as RIT (3) (Rapid Intervention Team) I didn’t notice all three with hands on the ladder but I’m sure they all wanted to do something.

Something he didn’t tell me when we talked about it but, if you really listen (I didn’t notice at first) the dinging was slowing down and stoped completely as he stepped onto the ladder. He was completely out of air climbing down.

When you’re out you’re out, the mask sucks to your face. A bit unnerving because it’s not practiced a lot.

Take away, they didn’t exit right away when their low air alarm started to sound. I told him don’t do that again! :old:

How to heat your lunch at the office,….crank the supplemental heating system   Five minutes and a gourmet meal awaits

IMG_3568.thumb.jpeg.4ee68072699ae7c81806a8d0e71e59d3.jpeg

The heater is mainly used in the summer months as the buildings thermostats suck, so my office will drop into the upper 50s low 60s, which would be fine for outside and moving, but inside and sedentary doesn’t sit so well. If I tell the facilities folks that its too cold, then the temps will be bounced to mid80s. 

Summer months we have many folks wearing jackets indoors

• Smile 2
ESokoloff
9 hours ago, Rougarou said:

If I tell the facilities folks that its too cold, then the temps will be bounced to mid80s. 

Do I have to come out & show them how it’s done?

9 hours ago, Rougarou said:

How to heat your lunch at the office,….crank the supplemental heating system   Five minutes and a gourmet meal awaits

IMG_3568.thumb.jpeg.4ee68072699ae7c81806a8d0e71e59d3.jpeg

Looks like the civilian version of an MRE..:27: 

• Like 1
roadscholar

Another old high mileage TJ beater followed me home, needs a few things (hood painted, rear shocks, running boards, shuts off on hard right turns : ) But unlike the last one (same color btw) it has doors, side, and rear curtains (can’t see out of them but that’s not the point), A/C, six cylinder and a 6 speed (only came on the last two years). I kinda miss the agricultural 4 cylinder but the extra power more than offsets, (had to downshift to make it over Monarch Pass it would hold up motorhomes : ) Looking forward to getting out in the bush, Ocala National Forest has a limitless number of trails and many are quite scenic, whether it makes it out west or not is yet to be seen. 

C571352C-A542-400F-A366-1E3500A9F2B6.thumb.jpeg.035f168e17fb926d5937d984ac6884e2.jpeg

6A192BB8-B7DD-4CA4-9ACC-E9EDB2790C35.thumb.jpeg.9ad1a89daa98d1ba8706ae8395895795.jpeg

• Like 4
Dennis Andress

When living in the PNW I learned that tree stumps should be cut no shorter than 3 feet. That way you can wrap a chain around it and pull the stump out with a tractor. Not that I have a tractor any longer. 
IMG_1019.thumb.jpeg.3a5e0d09f056320beeab58db96728c1e.jpeg

Progress in being counted in sunsets…

IMG_1020.thumb.jpeg.04112967dae4587412f482e08e38433e.jpeg

So, when you thought that the gutters were too small for the sq footage of the roof and that didnt solve the basement flooding issue. Replace the gutters bout two plus years ago with 6” ones and have had heavy rains during that time with no issues. Over the last month twice the basement flooded 🤬🤬

Further investigation found a drain that appeared to be part of the original house prior to an addition. 

Rather than terminate this drain, the previous owner left it open and covered with rocks. This drain leads to a T from two other downspouts. Well, my hypothesis now is that during fast heavy rains like the ones we recently had has the water backfilling this old drain and overflowing right next to the foundation. 

So, I removed the pipe leading to the T, twisted it 180* and am running additional drain line to a pop up. 

what a weekend of fun

the number is my depth referencesIMG_3583.thumb.jpeg.35eeb04dbb10fc21d9f0e34d61a1643a.jpegIMG_3581.thumb.jpeg.54a371fb130d62e45406a64964a2f73b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

IMG_3584.thumb.jpeg.f7199691b71575283f0f1cf3dc9eb232.jpeg

Let that settle in and see if my issue is finally solved

• Like 2

Here's

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Yay, dirt work.

That's what "hoe's" is for

IMG_3576.jpg.ca8ae804a0e85e2765673260152ddd2f.jpg

Anyway, here's the culprit, I hope anyway.  This corrugated pipe was just below a layer of rock, so unseen buy us.

image.jpeg.3563e3a57cdc3773297a7c4f59f509bc.jpeg

You can see where I suspect water decided to travel down the path of least resistance.  That dirt hole is right on the foundation.

The vast majority of rains, the area next to the house is typically dry'ish due to a bit of a larger overhang.  The only time it was soaked was when the gutters were overflowing back toward the crux of the "L".

Here's the after new pipe down right where the old downspout was, on the right side of that window by a couple of feet.  The "T" that connected three pipes has now been rotated away from the house and new secondary drain pipe laid.

image.jpeg.896c623ca9003fddce3d3ec46a82723c.jpeg

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

That's what "hoe's" is for

Hope you named her Heidi... :spittake:

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Hope you named her Heidi... :spittake:

Theresa is the other one

10 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Theresa is the other one

The older John Deere? ;) :classic_biggrin:

15 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

The older John Deere? ;) :classic_biggrin:

Well, she is older and she is very deere to me, and she can work a shovel:grin:

• Haha 1

I also find the pictures from that telescope just amazing.

It makes me think about the vast expanse of space, that everything is moving.

Neil deGrasse Tyson put forth an interesting idea: what if it is not The Big Bang, but A big Bang. That there are multiple areas of space that have developed independently of others, and what we currently know to be "space" is just our space, our gigantic space, and there are others that are shockingly distant from us, across "space".

My mind gets overwhelmed with talk of space and the distances involved. Fun to think about.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 2/7/2024 at 12:30 PM, Hosstage said:

My mind gets overwhelmed with talk of space and the distances involved. Fun to think about.

I'm sure I've posted before about Pale Blue Dot, a photo of Earth taken by Voyager 1 from about 3.7 billion miles away:

image.png.e2a4c5a626508f724c5e16704a70786a.png

It's that slightly bright pixel, about halfway down and maybe 3/4 of the way to the right.

Carl Sagan had this to say about it:

From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

• Like 4

Pat   Oliver Stone can't touch you. I think your cinematography is a mix of Scorsese, Farrelly, and a splash of the Cohen brothers. Now only if Hollywood would just wake up. :stir:

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta

The holy grail of road food.  Fried chicken between two Krispy Kreme donuts covered in honey. (seen on Guga Foods channel).

image.thumb.png.48a7ebb150cfd5487ddff668e6145ea8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

The holy grail of road food.  Fried chicken between two Krispy Kreme donuts covered in honey. (seen on Guga Foods channel).

image.thumb.png.48a7ebb150cfd5487ddff668e6145ea8.png

My blood sugar spiked at 600 just seeing that!

34 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

My blood sugar spiked at 600 just seeing that!

Yup, all the bad is hidden right in plain sight, but, I’d still give it a go!  :lick: :yes:

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Yup, all the bad is hidden right in plain sight, but, I’d still give it a go!  :lick: :yes:

Brooks Burgers in Naples, FL has a terrific menu.  

Example: 

Donut Burger  $16.50
American cheese and crispy bacon between two hot glazed donuts. Choice of Premium Black Angus Beef, Boneless Chicken Breast, Turkey Burger, veggie burger, Fried Chicken +$1, impossible burger +$4, bison +$6 or lamb +$4.
  • Like 2
On 2/23/2024 at 5:39 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Example: 

Donut Burger  $16.50
American cheese and crispy bacon between two hot glazed donuts. Choice of Premium Black Angus Beef, Boneless Chicken Breast, Turkey Burger, veggie burger, Fried Chicken +$1, impossible burger +$4, bison +$6 or lamb +$4.

Reminds me of the Grilled Cheese Burger we found at a cool brewpub in the Chicago 'burbs. A giant beef patty sandwiched between two grilled cheese sandwiches....yikes. I didn't try it but the scrawny kid in our party downed one.

BTW, try bison if you've never had it. De-lish.

John Ranalletta
On 2/23/2024 at 6:39 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Example: 

Donut Burger  $16.50

Speaking of Brooks Burgers, Naples.  Nephew texted, "We're going to Naples.  Pick you up Indy Regional Airport, 4:30p, Friday.  Have you back next Friday morning."

I know he doesn't have a pilot's license.  I'm thinking he bought a fractional share of a jet.  Woohoo!:18:

• Like 3
John Ranalletta

I followed this guy's advice and rewired my furnace (gas, forced air).  No bid deal.  Simply convert the power lead to a plug, add a duplex outlet and use a generator to power.  Today's power outage, likely caused by high winds overnight, is the first test. Works fine.  A much better alternative is to add a transfer switch to isolate up to 10 110v circuits and connect the generator. That's next up.

image.png.eaee790d76d71de54638d264bbfb6470.png

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

I followed this guy's advice and rewired my furnace (gas, forced air).  No bid deal.  Simply convert the power lead to a plug, add a duplex outlet and use a generator to power.  Today's power outage, likely caused by high winds overnight, is the first test. Works fine.  A much better alternative is to add a transfer switch to isolate up to 10 110v circuits and connect the generator. That's next up.

image.png.eaee790d76d71de54638d264bbfb6470.png

Getting ready for the big blackout?????   I'm hesitant to admit that I don't have 10 110vac circuits I couldn't live without.....but then I AM boycotting more and more unnecessary clutter of all kinds:beer:.....

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

Getting ready for the big blackout?????   I'm hesitant to admit that I don't have 10 110vac circuits I couldn't live without.....but then I AM boycotting more and more unnecessary clutter of all kinds:beer:.....

I don't need ten either.  A five banger would do it.  Kitchen for mwave and frig, office for computer/wifi, furnace, one bath and bedroom.

• Like 2
Indy Dave
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I don't need ten either.  A five banger would do it.  Kitchen for mwave and frig, office for computer/wifi, furnace, one bath and bedroom.

What?! No coffee maker? :java: I KNOW John has to have at least one ready to go on standby incase his primary goes belly-up! :read: 

John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

What?! No coffee maker? :java: I KNOW John has to have at least one ready to go on standby incase his primary goes belly-up! :read: 

French press.

Indy Dave
5 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

French press.

I forgot you were an ELITIST!  :rofl:

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
2 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

I forgot you were an ELITIST!  :rofl:

Only in emergencies. Maybe I'll add a press, a jet boil, quart of water and some French roast to my side case for a roadside respite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I could always turn to cowboy coffee I reckon.......:thumbsup:

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
15 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

I could always turn to cowboy coffee I reckon.......:thumbsup:

Is that like when the filter in the Ninja collapses?

• Smile 1