IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

roadscholar

Got out for a cruise earlier, supposed to rain on the weekend. Osteen's was busy so instead of waiting we sat at the counter, shrimp creole is the special one Friday a month, got lucky..

B3F16D7B-DCCE-45DC-8B35-350CE154E098.jpeg

A1177B13-AE35-4315-91D0-143696377271.jpeg

9B6D4FC6-3EEB-4617-A001-2B775E41129A.jpeg

• Like 6
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

shrimp creole is the special one Friday a month, got lucky..

That sounds like a GOOD Friday!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
roadscholar
5 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

That sounds like a GOOD Friday!

It was and every meal at Osteen's is a good one. Been going there over 40 years, sometimes we go late to avoid the rush but they lock the door at 8:30 sharp and every once in awhile would get caught by the draw bridge. I'd call and tell Charlene, she'd say c'mon Bill we'll let you in. I was in a truck stop years ago and got her a coffee mug with her name on it, she loved it : ) I'd heard they're under new ownership so I asked about it last night, the cashier (Charlene retired recently) said the long time cooks bought it. When Mr. Osteen sold it to his cook he stipulated it could only be sold to the cook(s) in the future. Several local restaurants have tried to steal/duplicate the fried shrimp recipe but can't seem to get it just right.

• Like 2

So, my buddy Mitch bought a bike rack to try and avoid pulling a trailer down to the beginning of our START route. Test drive today to meet for a burger was a fail! :classic_ohmy: No damage to anything but, we’ll be taking the trailer.

D6084153-A196-4D55-B2FA-B86F80E31B80.jpeg

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 3
roadscholar

The trick to those is having plenty of angle for the straps, the further away from 90* the better. Sometimes I'd hook a couple secondary straps from the bike to the truck too, damhik to do that : )

• Thanks 1

Where was this strap originally?  Could it have been on the crash bars where vibration would allow it to "slide" in such a manner to give enough slack to drop the bike?

image.png.ca3021f91e345f13428b28d20f79ef6f.png

• Thinking 1

I’m not exactly sure where he had the straps, I quickly looked but they looked fine. I was more checking it out for build quality to see if it would hold the load. I think it’d be ok but don’t want to be stressing all the way down 84/81. Plus it completely blocks his plate (well, not loaded like that :classic_rolleyes:) and his right brake light.

Single cab, no room for extra stuff so that also played a part in the trailer decision.

Oh, he said he had to hit the brakes hard for traffic and the weight of the bike loosened up the strap somehow.

6 hours ago, roadscholar said:

When Mr. Osteen sold it to his cook he stipulated it could only be sold to the cook(s) in the future.

That’s an awesome tradition that I hope lasts. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Resized_20230410_135519.thumb.jpeg.8efdeb70ffb1752718854cf5d64a1594.jpeg

So, bet you hit 'em far & straight!

I just came in from hitting a small bucket....got buddies coming May 3 for a week...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Hey, remember my “squirrel” problem? :yes: :classic_biggrin:

C17F328D-A8E1-4A17-BDDE-C3E07DD2F8C5.thumb.jpeg.323fe6ddb7c0f10ac3b52c665d1509bc.jpeg

Yeah, I remember.

Do tell.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Yeah, I remember.

Do tell.

It’s my concept Fairchild Republic A-0.01 :spittake:

• Haha 1

When the wife wants a chicken coop built in the barn, ya just load up the tools and commence to building

IMG_3027.thumb.jpeg.ae20e785160803546c33c542ad735f4d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
47 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

I see nothing wrong here…….:classic_laugh:

That was a 25-30 mile trip,......I was waiting for it to bend, but it held.  That's a 14ft trailer.  I had the ramp up, the fence was over the front railing with the jack stopping it going forward.  Several straps holding it down.  Each wave in the road the fence would wave/flop,....waiting for that bend to happen, but, I got it home. 

• Thinking 1
14 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

That was a 25-30 mile trip,......I was waiting for it to bend, but it held.  That's a 14ft trailer.  I had the ramp up, the fence was over the front railing with the jack stopping it going forward.  Several straps holding it down.  Each wave in the road the fence would wave/flop,....waiting for that bend to happen, but, I got it home. 

Maybe next time try a come along/chain hoist & an elevated mid point (think Golden Gate Bridge) arrangement. 

31 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

Maybe next time try a come along/chain hoist & an elevated mid point (think Golden Gate Bridge) arrangement. 

That ramp (white arrow) was up (like white line), which was the elevated mid'ish point.  From the red line back was the floppy fence---waiting to bend.  Green line is the ratchet strap I had to try to reinforce/lessen the flopping.

image.png.a4592e2e52fcb9e223e0256d94d9dfd2.png

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

That ramp (white arrow) was up (like white line), which was the elevated mid'ish point.  From the red line back was the floppy fence---waiting to bend.  Green line is the ratchet strap I had to try to reinforce/lessen the flopping.

image.png.a4592e2e52fcb9e223e0256d94d9dfd2.png

I’m proposing elevating the red part so it acts as an inverted fulcrum. 

9 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

I’m proposing elevating the red part so it acts as an inverted fulcrum. 

The red part was at the top of the ramp, 'bout four feet higher.  I didn't yank it home dragging the ramp on the road.

Sorta looked like this:  White line is the fence, black line is the ramp

image.thumb.png.afa7e8fbba0b2a24c184f494590018f8.png

Now ya see how much overhang to flop around.

Ok, now draw in a 4x4 block of wood on top of the fence panel located at the trailers gate.  
Now string your ratchet strap from the front to the back of the panel like you did but now the downward flexing of the panel is arrested via the strap.  
The 4x4 post acts as an inverted fulcrum so any down movement of the rear of panel causes an upwards travel of the front of the panel. 
Should work a bit better with a slight upwards angle of the strap vs only parallel. 

Clear as mud???

The ratchet strap was as you have the green line, just no block of wood.  The sellers estimated the length of the fence at 15ft, when we got there, clearly it was way more than 15ft and I could only use what I had.  Strap the tail all the way to the front and hope it holds. 

I'm not looking to get another like this, but will keep it in mind to throw an extra "lump" in the mix if I do.