IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

Those larger tiles, contrary to what you might think, take a lot more time to lay. One would assume that big tiles would make the job faster, but you'll need a lot more thinset than you think to level them up, and usually need to back butter each tile to get good adhesion and support. I do like the look of them though. I don't worry too much about trends, if you like it that's what matters. 

Are you removing the old tile? I see a few cracked ones in the photos and would be concerned about the stability of the base. It would be a shame to do all the work and have the new tile crack as well.  

We are in the midst of our own reno mess. Replacing all the trim work and doors and repainting on our main floor. Next winter we'll tackle the upstairs. Also will be doing some new upper cabinets and refacing the lowers in the kitchen. Worst part is we are also stripping the popcorn ceiling texture off. I ripped out the fireplace surround and mantel and built a new more modern mantel in its place. Granite hearth is on order and grey stone tile will be going on the wall after its in place. 

PXL_20230201_172814119.jpg

• Like 2

For a few dollars more I’m having the installer do the demo work, one day he’ll have it stripped out and the new tile put down. Day two will be grout and we’ll be able to use the kitchen later that night. I know, I’ve got concerns about cracking on the new tile also but he’s going to use Durock concrete board as a base. The original tile went in without that so hopefully that will take care of any potential cracks. :dontknow:

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

• Smile 1

Kitchen backsplash.  The open area is where we recently removed the microwave.  I got a split range hood on the way to put in.  She'll have to add more subway tile to close the gaps.

IMG_2922.jpg.61d81503be67a1d306fbbd95b55e264c.jpg

The original master bath.  It's a bit dirty.  Daughter and boyfriend are shacking in the space since they relocated back to our house after the apartment above them pipes burst

IMG_2923.jpg.d98803c003d3a3f644338a61048767b8.jpg

Original master bath shower (black grout sucks and is nasty to work with)

IMG_2925.jpg.291d780a090edfad43dadfa0e041ec44.jpg

I guess you call this bath the guest bath, I dunno.

IMG_2924.jpg.2ec2ee390c99af951a2ab99792c1ed28.jpg

And the guest bath backsplash.  So, the countertop we purchased at a discount hardware store.  Wasn't quite deep enough.  That backsplash is a 2x6 to cover the gap from the lack of depth, and, if we had little kids, they'd have a "baby" shelf to put stupid stuff on.

IMG_2926.jpg.b0cdbdcb3c942184aad850a49acee922.jpg

Our house was originally a four bedroom/three bath house and now it's a three bedroom/four bath house.  I'll get pictures of the basement bath at some point.

Here's the kitchen from our old house

image.thumb.png.81bcf3827d290107e87fbcaf236f5801.png

And from kitchen to front door

image.thumb.png.c6011dfd51a315190f8c9d6f323e54c3.png

And the bathroom we did at that house

image.thumb.png.15f09b8f14c9ca1453a80408e2484f80.png

I think we're mainly done with tile work

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

For a few dollars more I’m having the installer do the demo work, one day he’ll have it stripped out and the new tile put down. Day two will be grout and we’ll be able to use the kitchen later that night. I know, I’ve got concerns about cracking on the new tile also but he’s going to use Durock concrete board as a base. The original tile went in without that so hopefully that will take care of any potential cracks. :dontknow:

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Cement board is a good backer, but it really depends on the flex of the floor.  The span will cause small amounts of flex even with cement board.  Hopefully, epoxy grout is what he uses to assist in the flex.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Hopefully, epoxy grout is what he uses to assist in the flex.

This is what he likes, epoxy IDK, if it’s in there. :dontknow:

image.thumb.jpeg.232392ad04d3f349bc99607585b1fbbf.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I dunno about that seat...I'm quite certain, fish would die after I finish my sit downs

The wife got it to have a theme,  like prom theme "Under the Sea".

With the octopus on the wall after this picture was taken it all comes together! 

Yep, we saved $1k when we had someone do our master bath by doing the demo ourselves 

one of our projects. The hood arrive but not the blower (split/remote blower)    I had to cut three eight inch holes that matched along with two power wire holes. One line plugs in the outlet the other goes to the attic for the blower. The attic wire is behind the vent pipe. 

so far, this project sucked

image.thumb.jpg.0905c6954cf0a5dabc428782e965a807.jpg

wife needs some more subway tile to complete the bottom but aint gonna do it until the blower is operational. Fedex says delivery on monday for the blower 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Yep, we saved $1k when we had someone do our master bath by doing the demo ourselves 

That’s pretty much the number right there. They are going to get rid of the old tile so, there’s that. :dontknow: But man, the few we popped came up pretty easy. :classic_blush:

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

That’s pretty much the number right there. They are going to get rid of the old tile so, there’s that. :dontknow: But man, the few we popped came up pretty easy. :classic_blush:

You just like giving money away dontcha

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

No not really. Lesson learned today, second guessing yourself can be expensive. :ohboy:

Renegotiate

• Thinking 1
7 hours ago, Rougarou said:

one of our projects. The hood arrive but not the blower (split/remote blower)    I had to cut three eight inch holes that matched along with two power wire holes. One line plugs in the outlet the other goes to the attic for the blower. The attic wire is behind the vent pipe. 

so far, this project sucked

image.thumb.jpg.0905c6954cf0a5dabc428782e965a807.jpg

wife needs some more subway tile to complete the bottom but aint gonna do it until the blower is operational. Fedex says delivery on monday for the blower 

There's no such thing as a little remodeling.

8 hours ago, Hosstage said:

There's no such thing as a little remodeling.

Soooo correct. 

We bought this house knowing full well that we were going to gut and cut it up.  At some point, we'll hit the spot where we go,...."its right where we want it".

Which will bore the crap outta us as we always have to be doing something,..............

27 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I think you found your “spot” but house flipping sounds like something you guys could be good at… 

We've thought about giving it a go, but never felt froggy enough.........and also, we're not really code followers ;)

Still on the list (no real order/no guarantees we'll actually do them either):

Finish siding (almost there)

paint roof

ductless mini for basement area

water and power to front edge of yard (about 150-175ft of line to run)

build turn around for back driveway

forestry mulch woodline (gonna pay somebody with equipment on that)

Replace front/back door/doorframes for more efficient entryways (they leak too much air and have settled a bit crooked)

buy three acres behind house (if the owner will ever sell so we can keep that woodline border)

Work on gettin rid of daughters mobile home and building/buying her a bigger place---thoughts are to take her current place, move it on the property, rent it out for income to supplement her a bigger facility

crush-r run the storage side of the barn where we removed stables so that its level (remove another stable (barn had six stables, land doesn't support six horses, we'll be leaving three stables))

30x60 lean too on the barn (fantasy here as this will let me put all the equipment that I have stored in the barn to under the lean to---which will let me drop a real power pole for the barn and build a nice shop,......fantasy, purely fantasy)

18x35 patio covering for back patio and downstairs garage (maybe even screen enclose the patio side)

And much, much more as ideas pop up.

• Like 1

My list, house was built in 92 for reference.

1, Kitchen floor (in progress.) 

2, Front brick steps need repairing. Took me a long while to figure it out but the driveway contractor pushed my concrete walkway into them when peeling up the old driveway, just enough to crack the bottom corner brick. The steel railings need redoing also.

3, New rug in Kiley’s room, (she wants laminate planks) (I don’t) 

4, New front bow window (or at least replace the panes that the argon seal let go) 

5, New front door.

6, Replace cracked lower side window. (I don’t know what happened to it dad!)

7, could use New dishwasher.

8, could use New fridge.

9, could use New Microwave.

10, Shingles on main house are 31 years old. I think they were 40 year shingles so…

There’s probably a few more if I think hard enough.

edit… Aw Screw that! BMW is just about to release a new R 1300 GS! :dance:

15 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

My list, house was built in 92 for reference.

1, Kitchen floor (in progress.) 

2, Front brick steps need repairing. Took me a long while to figure it out but the driveway contractor pushed my concrete walkway into them when peeling up the old driveway, just enough to crack the bottom corner brick. The steel railings need redoing also.

3, New rug in Kiley’s room, (she wants laminate planks) (I don’t) 

4, New front bow window (or at least replace the panes that the argon seal let go) 

5, New front door.

6, Replace cracked lower side window. (I don’t know what happened to it dad!)

7, could use New dishwasher.

8, could use New fridge.

9, could use New Microwave.

10, Shingles on main house are 31 years old. I think they were 40 year shingles so…

There’s probably a few more if I think hard enough.

edit… Aw Screw that! BMW is just about to release a new R 1300 GS! :dance:

Our house build was 1980

3.  Let her go with the planks and put a throw rug on top.  People are getting away from carpets in general due to their ability to "hold" stuff in them, like,...forever

4.  Oh, ya, we got our bay windows that need to be completely replaced too (forgot to add that to the list, they're the last windows to be modernized)

6.  Easy to do.

7.  Easy, to do, just fund it and do it

8.  I kinda wanna get rid of ours and go with a counter depth fridge, but don't really wanna fund that

9.  Done, removed over the stove microwave, removed the double oven, rebuilt double oven cabinet for single oven, built space on top of new single oven cabinet for counter top microwave

10. Go metal roof, more money, but seeing as you like throwing it away for demo, you got this.

• Smile 1
17 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

If the tile is gone when they show up then it's a moot point, no?

I do need to stop now or give him a call, he gave me two prices and I chose the lazy man’s price. I think he planned on paying his helper for the demo so I feel like I locked that deal in place. 

It’s actually kinda fun popping them up. (Archeology :classic_biggrin: )

As you can see, the freezer has been filling with ice and dripping on the floor. I usually catch it in time and chip out the ice. but… :dontknow: I YouTubed a fix but I got to toss some frozen food to get it done.

image.thumb.jpeg.0122812a3be75e804c7ab73fddc55b26.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

3.  Let her go with the planks and put a throw rug on top.  People are getting away from carpets in general due to their ability to "hold" stuff in them, like,...forever

:classic_biggrin: You know, the only person on my side with this fight is the carpet guy! :D

• Haha 1

Stopping point today6B5779AD-4D65-462B-9D90-C93630605BBD.thumb.jpeg.879170c6e9501882ffe4545389e859ea.jpeg

motor for range hood came in,….i gotta get this through the itty bitty attic access hole

832785A2-8F63-4C73-AACD-CF63A9B67892.thumb.jpeg.8bbbf1101291adad2e57d9b3fb3256c7.jpeg

And the best thing came in today

C7952A01-B5F3-4FDD-9B7B-15C7E3A6FA8E.thumb.jpeg.7ffd4ab83912e1437e0596a529d46b0a.jpeg

Traditional, fig and pralines & cream

Happy Mardi Gras ya’ll

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
11 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Sounds like one of your new unexpected projects might be making the itty bitty attic access hole just a bit bigger!

I'm hoping it "just fits".

5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Fit? :spittake:

We went to a fancy schmancy restaurant yesterday morning with friends for brunch. I ordered the benedick. Instead of ham and a muffin, they put the egg and sauce over a crab cake. It sucked. hate it when that happens

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

put the egg and sauce over a crab cake. It sucked. hate it when that happens

Sausage patties for me or corned beef hash to Irish it up a bit. :18:

We have some new personnel starting in a few weeks to staff a second ambulance full time or as close to full time as the budget will allow. This neglected computer room will be their new bunk room, so we’re getting it ready.

Strip, seal and three coats of wax. :dontknow:

image.thumb.jpeg.aeb1b58e236e1cbb691f890e368ef81d.jpeg

Not perfect but better. Yup it might be a custodian in the afterlife.  :spittake:

EB6AAD27-8CD1-402E-866E-225ADA810CC7.thumb.jpeg.ac9d9325f84d4ec09aade17a51fa6514.jpeg