IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

roadscholar

Looking at those last few pics reminds me that by the time a lot of folks can afford a new GTS or GT3 they're too old to be able to use it : )

Fact is very few can find the limits of one on public roads and even trying presents a danger to everyone else. 

• Like 3

Local critter enjoying a breakfast morsel whilst i am getting ready for START!

Taken from a window with a screen; I didn't want to spook it.

20230426_065028.thumb.jpg.ec4687f85e9e9e1d02bdbff5499346d3.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Those are hammers, GT3 is scalpel.

Agreed, though the Corvette has mad skills. Looking sleek is not one of them.

34 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Too cheap to buy a Spot Tracker so… :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

1963557A-49F0-46CB-A503-88FC80386746.jpeg

Spotwalla and your phone

• Like 1

Am watching the history channel and a Ron DeSantis for president commercial just came on. I never herd that he made it official. It was him speaking and his slogan was -  Never Give Up. Showed a Trump bumper sticker and someone putting a DeSantis one over it.  

• Smile 1
8 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Home to roost, eh?

Just an intro, they’ll be back in the little chicken tractor tonight. I still gotta cut a whole in the barn for the inside roost

• Like 1

Dude, your picture is crooked,.....try tilting the phone so it is more level,.....there's actually probably a level on your phone that will give you a good idea:grin:

• Haha 1

Much gooder!!  

I really would like to reply to all the Craigslist poster that put up crooked and sideways pictures of their vehicles and other wares to sell,.....Craigslist and the Louvre. 

• Like 1

Yeah, It was only a shed but still counts! :yes:
572BBDFE-2AB4-4F0F-9E88-6206062EBE4D.thumb.jpeg.d2e7bcab277c5354fb6de4754ed23fd7.jpeg

BD5529D8-CDDB-4CCC-B012-3FA2F7662368.thumb.jpeg.eae8e04b213ba0b05260ea0fdf05523f.jpeg

fun fact 

This was about dead center between E-1’s district and ours. We got water on the fire first! :yes:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
On 5/11/2023 at 11:04 AM, TEWKS said:

572BBDFE-2AB4-4F0F-9E88-6206062EBE4D.thumb.jpeg.d2e7bcab277c5354fb6de4754ed23fd7.jpeg

BD5529D8-CDDB-4CCC-B012-3FA2F7662368.thumb.jpeg.eae8e04b213ba0b05260ea0fdf05523f.jpeg

fun fact 

This was about dead center between E-1’s district and ours. We got water on the fire first! :yes:

I think that's what's called a wet black spot.  Both with an air pack but no mask.  Neither with a hat.  hmmmm

• Like 1
On 5/11/2023 at 2:04 PM, TEWKS said:

fun fact 

If my barn torches, I'ma let'er burn (after horses and chickens are out),......so's I can get a new barn.

When we moved in, we had a local handyman scraping all the popcorn off the ceiling before we moved our stuff in the house (popcorn ceilings suck).  Anyway, the west side of the barn siding was pretty worn/rotting out and I made a statement "barn's in pretty bad shape",.....local guy says "it's better than most in Stokes County, it's still standing",......which the bones of the barn are real good.

Anyway, we replaced the west side siding with rough cut pine.  The north side had two 6ft doors for the middle opening, I cut another third of the north side out and made a 12ft door to allow for more access for the stuff I have.  And now it's got a chick-a-lago coop in it.

Sorry, in my mind, the topic of the shed made me relate to my barn, which made me tangent:grin:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

scraping all the popcorn off the ceiling before we moved our stuff in the house (popcorn ceilings suck

Second that  I just got done doing that in my living room and hall. Took me a week, but the flat ceiling look so much better. Won't do that again .Still have 3 bedrooms with it. Told the wifey if she want's them done, she's gonna have to pay someone to do it.

77EFDD5C-871F-4181-9A75-83E6F0F05BE8.jpeg

• Like 4

If my barn torches, I'ma let'er burn (after horses and chickens are out),......so's I can get a new barn.

When we moved in, we had a local handyman scraping all the popcorn off the ceiling before we moved our stuff in the house (popcorn ceilings suck).  Anyway, the west side of the barn siding was pretty worn/rotting out and I made a statement "barn's in pretty bad shape",.....local guy says "it's better than most in Stokes County, it's still standing",......which the bones of the barn are real good.

Anyway, we replaced the west side siding with rough cut pine.  The north side had two 6ft doors for the middle opening, I cut another third of the north side out and made a 12ft door to allow for more access for the stuff I have.  And now it's got a chick-a-lago coop in it.

Sorry, in my mind, the topic of the shed made me relate to my barn, which made me tangent:grin:

This was quite a few years ago but They do burn.  

image.thumb.jpeg.56a14d5da66e9f6d311ce00f47eb0203.jpeg

7 hours ago, Red said:

I think that's what's called a wet black spot.  Both with an air pack but no mask.  Neither with a hat.  hmmmm

Never heard that term “wet black spot” If I caught it correctly over the years YOU and I already know Richard, might have to take responsibility for the Marine in that picture. :spittake:
 The other one is a probie, she knocked her helmet off while pulling the line from the engine. I guess I’ll need to speak with her (buckle it) since she’s my niece. :)

And I’m not just the cameraman, :classic_biggrin: I supplied the water from the engine and only made my way up the hill after the bulk of the flames were knocked down.

Another fun fact 

We had a major fire at this same residence years ago. The garage was loaded with fireworks. What a show that was, rockets shooting by us as we tried to get to the fire. And, I almost fell into their pool as I came around the back side of the garage. (Dark and Smoky) 

6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

We had a major fire at this same residence years ago. The garage was loaded with fireworks. What a show that was, rockets shooting by us as we tried to get to the fire

awkward-naked-gun.gif.33a58d14b5f569dca0dc98d246ef6358.gif

• Haha 1

It was actually something very similar to that! :classic_biggrin: As Richard alluded to with the new barn, they got a new house. A nice one at that. Their parrot died in the smoke though. :(

10 hours ago, taylor1 said:

77EFDD5C-871F-4181-9A75-83E6F0F05BE8.jpeg

Oh it's quite easy to do, just messy as all get out.  We did our previous house and knew we didn't want to do it again.  Squirt a wee bit of water, then scrap, squirt water, then scrap, stuff will peel right off, then you have very minimal skim coating to do. 

Looks like you got a dust storm,.....did you squirt it or just muscle through it all?

10 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

Wi-Fi’ed?

(In retrospect the girls get in a routine so pre-programmed &/or Astro or photo input is sufficient). 

Nah, no wi-fi on this.   Right now, it's programmed via time.  It could be programmed for dawn to dusk. 

Wife's gotta work with them birds to get them in the routine of going in.

Door does have a motion detector (wasn't mounted yet, grey wire), so if a bird's going in while the door is going down, it'll go back up, wait a few minutes and come back down.

did you squirt it or just muscle through it all?

Borrowed a Hep Vac and a FesTool sander from a painter friend. It sucked up 99% of the dust. I guess you could say I muscled through it. Or at least that how my arms felt when I was done.

On 5/11/2023 at 11:04 AM, TEWKS said:

We got water on the fire first! :yes:

I knew a firefighter with a personalized license plate of “FIRST N” (if memory serves) 

I asked him what it meant & he said it signified the first station on scene.  

I didn’t find that here but did find “FIRST DUE” so maybe my memory ain’t what it used to be.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_firefighting#:~:text=Fireground%3A The operational area at,incident commander is in control.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Wife's gotta work with them birds to get them in the routine of going in.

Food

I recently removed the texture from our ceilings too. I started using the sander and vacuum to remove it, but discovered that was way too hard on my already bad shoulder. I ended up wetting and scraping the heaviest of it off, then followed with the sander to clean it up and flatten it out. Only took a light skim coat on the joints to make it nice and flat. 

Next winter I will be doing the second floor and that will be a real chore since part of the ceiling is 18' high in the open living room space.

56 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

You know what, I just wouldn’t look up. ;)

That's what I keep telling the wife. It's fine, look out the windows and enjoy nature.

She then tells me what I can do, much of it to myself.

• Smile 1
23 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Borrowed a Hep Vac and a FesTool sander from a painter friend. It sucked up 99% of the dust. I guess you could say I muscled through it. Or at least that how my arms felt when I was done.

Ewww, we tried the vacum and sand thing, but found the spray and scrap was easier.  You only gotta hold a 16oz bottle of water and a very light scraper.

I believe popcorn/textured ceilings were created to hide the imperfections of the drywaller,......my opinion only.

8 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I plan on hiring a guy. 22' vaulted ceiling. That ain't me.

Stack some paint cans under that ladder, easy-peasy!!

• Smile 1
  • Sad 1

I believe popcorn/textured ceilings were created to hide the imperfections of the drywaller,......my opinion only.

Joking, right? That's **exactly** why that crap, and the equally hideous knock-down finish on walls was created.

I hate almost every DIY task home improvement related, especially drywall work. But I'll take ten times longer doing it myself over accepting some "pro's" textured finish. Yeeech.

When popcorn ceilings are done correctly, paint is mixed in with the corn when first sprayed on and then a finish coat of paint should be sprayed on for a finish.. When done like that it's a real bear to remove. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, most contractors cut the corners on the paint to save a few bucks. When they do that, it comes off pretty easy

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

What could possibly go wrong? :dontknow:

image.jpeg.8d8a4765e77064fd04e2170ae5fce287.jpeg

Wife had some stilts to use when we were doing the ceilings in our old house.  I can't remember what she ended up trading them for.

11 hours ago, syntorz said:

Joking, right? That's **exactly** why that crap, and the equally hideous knock-down finish on walls was created.

I hate almost every DIY task home improvement related, especially drywall work. But I'll take ten times longer doing it myself over accepting some "pro's" textured finish. Yeeech.

Together we put the sheetrock up, the wife finishes it.  She's got a softer touch than I do.  

10 hours ago, taylor1 said:

When popcorn ceilings are done correctly, paint is mixed in with the corn when first sprayed on and then a finish coat of paint should be sprayed on for a finish.. When done like that it's a real bear to remove. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, most contractors cut the corners on the paint to save a few bucks. When they do that, it comes off pretty easy

Never heard it that way before.  Two different houses, built 25 years apart, in two different towns, both had just the spray on popcorn stuff, no painting over it.

I do know some former neighbors that had certain rooms that had their popcorn sprayed over, but not the whole house of it.  One neighbor, instead of scraping the popcorn, he went over it with slat boards,....looked really good.  For a brief moment, I thought of doing that too, but, that would entail more work.

I asked my workmate who’s a plasterer by trade  (lots of year’s experience) about those stilts. He uses them all the time and the obvious question was have you ever fallen from them? Yup, he said it sucks! It’s a long way to the floor but he said, it helps when you crash into the plaster table first, especially when there was a fresh mix just dumped out on it. :facepalm: :spittake:

• Smile 3
14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Ewww, we tried the vacum and sand thing, but found the spray and scrap was easier.  You only gotta hold a 16oz bottle of water and a very light scraper.

I used a one gallon garden weed sprayer to wet the nasty stuff. Also, you need to round off the sharp corners of the drywall knife so you don't gouge the drywall.

And I totally agree on the creation theory; lazy drywallers not wanting to put in a little effort. I was actually surprised at how poorly the joints were finished and the number of exposed screw heads I uncovered.

• Smile 1