IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

An ironic and timely tribute to the great director and producer, Ivan Reitman, who passed away yesterday at age 75.  In addition to Stripes, he will be remembered for many other very watchable films, like Ghostbusters, Dave, Meatballs and Kindergarten Cop.  RIP Mr. Reitman.

• Like 3
On 2/19/2022 at 9:34 AM, TEWKS said:

See if I can go two for two in the lose column. :classic_biggrin: The first picture looks like Tenderfoot hill out in Salida? 

Bingo.  Karen is trying to kill me.  We have been walking up everyday

the second is the highland cattle that will be our backyard neighbors.   I hear they eat pretty good also.  

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Crap, this ain't the route to Starbucks!

20220228_095521.thumb.jpg.5f82696e3572385270e14d5b5976b833.jpg

Nice, just stay away from Ga/Bama red clay when it's wet, it's tough to walk on, nearly impossible to ride!

2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Nice, just stay away from Ga/Bama red clay when it's wet, it's tough to walk on, nearly impossible to ride!

One of my first Jeeps, I was with a group in Uwharrie National Forest, nasty rain.  On the trail, we came across this itty bitty hill, couldn't of been more than three feet vertical slight slope.  I'm running small 33's BFG MTs, rear locker.  The little slope also had a left angle to it that would drop you many many feet if you slid to it, which seemed to be the tendency.  Only one vehicle made it over the little hump, 42's, lotsa HP, Interco Boggers, lockers front and rear.  He ended up turning around, and yep, giving everyone a slight little winch tug to get over.  Slick wasn't the word for that stuff.  

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

What do they say, slicker than owl snot or something like that. I don’t think anyone makes a motorcycle tire that will get thru it.

The boggers were spinning good on my buddy's jeep

Bogger UTV | Interco Tire

It's a very, very aggressive tire.

Ahh, signs are just suggestions. ;) Gates…well a firmer suggestion! :spittake: Sometimes they’re both hard to see.

roadscholar
32 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Ahh, signs are just suggestions. ;) Gates…well a firmer suggestion! :spittake: Sometimes they’re both hard to see.

Or you takes your chances, I knew it was coming just not sure when or where..

Untitled photo 

Took all afternoon but luckily got around the other side of it (same mountains from the other direction).

Untitled photo 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

At the risk of a black eye (or two)

Glutton for punishment ? LOL  I don't believe anyone would argue that their time isn't coming. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Second row, JR is fourth from right. :)

image.thumb.jpeg.8ec2accd316c5ea0bfb3daa3bd3b6288.jpeg

Soooo who’s grin is wider, his or yours?

• Smile 1
1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

Glutton for punishment ? LOL  I don't believe anyone would argue that their time isn't coming. 

Unfortunately I’m not convinced of that. 

10 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

At the risk of a black eye (or two), let me state that an EV should make for an excellent off-roader (limitations apply). 
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/electric-vehicles-dominate-gas-powered-ones-off-road-action/

Most true off-road "enthusiast" want a more limited approach to "what can break" while in the bush (hence the buggy's and cannibalized street rigs).  Too much 'lectric stuff is a vulnerability.   I wouldn't buy a current Jeep if I got into the trails again (electric windows----really,...on a Wrangler).  2006 is the newest I'd go, and even with that model TJ, there was a bit more 'lectric stuff I could have done without.  

It's not just about the "power", otherwise, a Suzuki Samurai would not be considered a very capable off-road vehicle (it is extremely capable).  Lots of dynamics come to play for those that want to get off the gravel roads and hit the trails that most farm tractors wouldn't touch.

That Rivian hitting the bunny trail of rocks in the video is a nice ad piece that most stock current 4x4's can do.  Yes, it's got instant torque, but really crawling over rocks does not necessitate that.  Sometimes, you just have to sit there and spin your wheels to heat the tires up to make them stickier.

All this depends on the type of 'froading you want to do.  To say that the Rivian dominates ICE off road is to get into the Toyota Jeep debate.

14 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

Unfortunately I’m not convinced of that. 

Oh, no, they're coming, but just like the horse and rider can get places a ICE can't get, an ICE will be able to get places a 'lectric can't get.

14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Oh, no, they're coming, but just like the horse and rider can get places a ICE can't get, an ICE will be able to get places a 'lectric can't get.

Would like to know how/why you think that seeings the only EV with off-road capabilities is the Rivian  R1T but let’s move it to 

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/102222-all-things-e/

9 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

Would like to know how/why you think that seeings the only EV with off-road capabilities is the Rivian  R1T but let’s move it to 

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/102222-all-things-e/

Here, let me say it again. but just like the horse and rider can get places a ICE can't get, an ICE will be able to get places a 'lectric can't get.

I can lift an engine to give me better angles, I can lift a transmission to give me better angles, I tucked my tranny and transfer case flush/above the frame rails of my Jeep and put 1/4" skid plate that I softball dented in several places.  My next iteration would have been to extend the wheelbase about five inches.  

You have, on most of the off road EVs, a skateboard battery pack that sits right at the bottom.  good luck modifying all that advancement in technology to get on anything other than bunny trails and access roads.  Before you try to point out that Rivian on Hell's Revenge, many stock ICE vehicles pulled that gig off.

EVs are coming, there's no stopping that and I'm not against it, but there are things that you will not be able to do with an EV that you can with a ICE, just as there are things you can't do with and ICE that you can with a horse and just as there are things you can't do with a horse but your own two feet can do.

Good luck buying an off the shelf EV that can do this wink-wink-nod-nod

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Here, let me say it again. but just like the horse and rider can get places a ICE can't get, an ICE will be able to get places a 'lectric can't get.

I can lift an engine to give me better angles, I can lift a transmission to give me better angles, I tucked my tranny and transfer case flush/above the frame rails of my Jeep and put 1/4" skid plate that I softball dented in several places.  My next iteration would have been to extend the wheelbase about five inches.  

You have, on most of the off road EVs, a skateboard battery pack that sits right at the bottom.  good luck modifying all that advancement in technology to get on anything other than bunny trails and access roads.  Before you try to point out that Rivian on Hell's Revenge, many stock ICE vehicles pulled that gig off.

EVs are coming, there's no stopping that and I'm not against it, but there are things that you will not be able to do with an EV that you can with a ICE, just as there are things you can't do with and ICE that you can with a horse and just as there are things you can't do with a horse but your own two feet can do.

Good luck buying an off the shelf EV that can do this wink-wink-nod-nod

Mehhh 

I’ve been working on a decent video that captured the ceremony this afternoon but YouTube or my phone, aren’t playing nice. :dopeslap:The boy earned his badge today. :thumbsup:
image.thumb.jpeg.fd0c1676f854dab2ea6c56865ef811cf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2aa4b089bf9f54871c534082089e1614.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

They all grower taller than the parent, don't they?

I use to be that tall, parents shrink. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1

Not to make it about me :classic_biggrin: but my Fire Academy Class pic back in 95. I was taller then. No not really, but it’s a good angle to run with. :D

image.thumb.jpeg.277bc9be52c7255b2bea50ee12657900.jpeg

• Like 4

Well there could be a slight downside to your sons great accomplishment 😁. If you guys work together, there will be no more dad secrets at work. No more hiding a motorcycle at the station. The ability to bribe versus telling mom.. just kidding of course. The opportunity to work with and watch your son grow in the profession is a tremendous gift. 

• Plus 1 1
17 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I’ve been working on a decent video that captured the ceremony this afternoon but YouTube or my phone, aren’t playing nice. :dopeslap:The boy earned his badge today. :thumbsup:
image.thumb.jpeg.fd0c1676f854dab2ea6c56865ef811cf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2aa4b089bf9f54871c534082089e1614.jpeg

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Mike, something tells me that you went a little farther down that road to Starbucks.  :dontknow:

Just a little...

41 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

It looks like a decent turnout Indy Dave.

We did have a great turn out for our first attempt! We all wanted to get together to celebrate in honor of @TEWKSson!

• Thanks 1

Appreciate it guys! I can’t get my video uploaded but here’s the Fire Academy’s. It’s too long so I forwarded it to Tewksbury’s graduates.

• Like 5
  • Plus 1 1