IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

Pat , I have to admit I'm not envious. Winds here are really starting to pack and punch and heading up your way. Stay warm and safe !!!!!

@Tewks will be fine, he’s naturally fluffy

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Early in the day on Thursday I called up my learnings from the school of Rougarou while tightening the belt on the station compressor. :classic_biggrin:

7A611935-1BB1-4AC9-9EB7-73CB6D17CE61.jpeg

My tip for small motor belt adjustments is to use Shims.  
I make shims made from steel shipping bands cut to about 10” or so (depends on motor base width). 

I loosen all four motor bolts & back the nuts way off on the back side bolts.  
Then I lift up the back side of motor (the side farthest from the load) & shove a bunch of stacked shims under the base of the motor making sure they are up against the bolts for max surface area.  
This causes the motor sheave to move towards the loads sheave. 
This causes the belt to slacken so motor can slide away from the load and belt tension wont cause the motor to pivot due to excessive belt tension. 
Next push or pull motor away from its load and eyeball motor shaft/sheave to load shaft/sheave alignment & when everything is aligned & there is slight tension on belt, tighten the front motor bolts.  
Now remove shims from the backside of motor as needed to get the proper tension on the belt when the bolts are tightened. 

The great thing about this method is that you leave enough shims in so the next time the belt needs adjustment, simply remove shim(s) as needed.
Easy Peasy. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

My tip for small motor belt adjustments is to use Shims.  
I make shims made from steel shipping bands cut to about 10” or so (depends on motor base width). 

I loosen all four motor bolts & back the nuts way off on the back side bolts.  
Then I lift up the back side of motor (the side farthest from the load) & shove a bunch of stacked shims under the base of the motor making sure they are up against the bolts for max surface area.  
This causes the motor sheave to move towards the loads sheave. 
This causes the belt to slacken so motor can slide away from the load and belt tension wont cause the motor to pivot due to excessive belt tension. 
Next push or pull motor away from its load and eyeball motor shaft/sheave to load shaft/sheave alignment & when everything is aligned & there is slight tension on belt, tighten the front motor bolts.  
Now remove shims from the backside of motor as needed to get the proper tension on the belt when the bolts are tightened. 

The great thing about this method is that you leave enough shims in so the next time the belt needs adjustment, simply remove shim(s) as needed.
Easy Peasy. 

I think the jack worked perfectly ;)

• Smile 1
32 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

While the shim method is most likely technically superior, I’d have to see it done. The jack was simple and it worked. It does need a new belt so maybe I’ll reread the post and try to get a mental picture in my head. If I can fit another. (mental picture that is)  :classic_biggrin:

28 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Measuring in feet, not inches.   Am I right?

I don’t think technically 2 feet but it was a pretty good dumping. :4316:

• Smile 1

When I was a young-in growing up in MA, I always wished we had mechanical devices for snow removal and also having fun.  I knew some people that had snowblowers and some that had snow machines.  The things available nowadays are plentiful.  Must be nice.   No, wait.   For the record, I only enjoyed winter snow storms as a kid.   As an adult, I only enjoy it when it accumulates and looks pretty on the weekend.   Then it would go away for for back to the grind of going to work and driving about.   I experienced the Blizzard of '78, which was fine for me as we missed some school and had a lot of fun sledding.

I do not envy those folks that are getting hammered with heavy winter conditions.   Hope things get better.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

If you have a snowmobile , looks like it's time to ride  :yes:

I sold mine a couple years ago, I do miss it but wasn’t using it as much as I use to. The quad kinda replaced the snowmobile, it’s fun and it shovels pretty good! ;)

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

And I Know there’s a better way. 

By the way, that’s a Jason belt & tho not a good enough image to say with certainty the belt looks fine but the motor shive looks to be a bit worn/grooved.

The next time the belts off look at the motor sheave & make sure it still has straight walls like a V & not grooved like a U. 
If the bottom of the sheave valley is polished, it indicates that the belt width &/or sheave walls have worn to the point that the belt’s bottom is contacting the sheave valley. 

This is bad as the belt is no longer wedged into the sheave & will now slip. 

PS. sorry, I have no bad weather to show

Expecting highs in the low 70°s (f)

PS 1.2:  Upon further review, belt is toast & motor sheave is suspected to be worn. 

Note the conditions of the belts bottom. 
On the left the notches are flattened & on the right they are still rounded. 
this indicates that the belt is contacting the sheaves valley & that the belt is no longer a wedge so it will have a tendency to slip.  
The image also shows that the sheave appears to be quite polished also indicative to sheave grooving/belt slipping. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2115de4bf8e181595dcbdd087ef1a73c.jpeg

• Like 1

A few words of caution regarding belt tension.

Too loose & the belt(s) can/well slip causing premature wear of belt(s) & sheave(s). 

Too tight & bearings can/will be damaged. 
Too loose is better then too tight.  

• Thanks 1

Finally getting started on building a greenhouse for these 46”x76” panels.   Only doing the frames for the panels today, well some of the panels, we have 13

2E690B15-2502-4201-BD71-D9F76BCBF476.thumb.jpeg.9a33408e770dede17f45bd65bb32f245.jpegEE60A549-B7E0-4694-8AB1-00C6559EEFC2.thumb.jpeg.f1e2011d70d5929aa3f5dfacfc94da14.jpeg

prototype and I did test fit the glass. 
45C56DE5-C96C-4D98-B541-8B99A2A2BFFE.thumb.jpeg.29917ad55b8feac30353041f9fde5a4e.jpeg

The greenhouse will be built on the deck. it’ll move faster once the wife gets outta her walking boot thinghy

8BC50774-8987-46FC-986D-3BF07F013929.jpeg
image.thumb.jpg.b729d2810d6a7d4ca4a5cf740f60ca3d.jpg

17 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The greenhouse will be built on the deck. it’ll move faster once the wife gets outta her walking boot thinghy

I always like it when my wife help's me with those kind of projects. She holds the smart end of the tape measure.

14 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

I always like it when my wife help's me with those kind of projects. She holds the smart end of the tape measure.

She generally helps me with all projects.  When we were doing some hardscaping around the pool, I was moving the cinder blocks, I told her I'd get the mortar when I got done moving the blocks.  Next thing I see is her coming round the corner with a 80lb bag, then the next, then the next,.....alls I's moving was 30ishlb cinder blocks,....many, many of them.

She's one that lifts heavy stuff, climbs ladders, uses power tools, lays tile and flooring, does sheetrock and all that stuff......she's also the one that keeps me from making those measurement mistakes........gotta love a country girl that ain't too prissy. ;)

Gave the snowmobile to my uncle years ago (owed him for a couple cars in my youth), he was shocked by the electric start and reverse.

I have an old ATV I don't use much and should probably just send it down the road too. I'll have to check with nieces and nephews.

19 minutes ago, LBump said:

What a game!  Did ya get to go?

If directed to me, no.

I worked mid-day today & watched the final 1:48 via a co-workers phone.  

I just had to stop & snap that image on the way home.  
Ended up having to use my flashlight to light up the sign on the building so it showed up on that image.  

7 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Finally getting started on building a greenhouse for these 46”x76” panels.   Only doing the frames for the panels today, well some of the panels, we have 13

2E690B15-2502-4201-BD71-D9F76BCBF476.thumb.jpeg.9a33408e770dede17f45bd65bb32f245.jpegEE60A549-B7E0-4694-8AB1-00C6559EEFC2.thumb.jpeg.f1e2011d70d5929aa3f5dfacfc94da14.jpeg

prototype and I did test fit the glass. 
45C56DE5-C96C-4D98-B541-8B99A2A2BFFE.thumb.jpeg.29917ad55b8feac30353041f9fde5a4e.jpeg

8BC50774-8987-46FC-986D-3BF07F013929.jpeg
image.thumb.jpg.b729d2810d6a7d4ca4a5cf740f60ca3d.jpg

Hey Mary?

Watcha gonna grow?

• Haha 1

Richard , you pretty much described my gal 10 years ago..She was always up for a good project and enjoyed getting down and dirty.

Of course with age, things have slowed down. The old gray mare just ain't what she used to be. LOL

8 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

Hey Mary?

Watcha gonna grow?

My thumb is brown.  

Mainly to take her summer outdoor plants to a winter location.  She'll also start other junk from seeds.  She does want a lemon tree,....for what, I dunno.

48 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Richard , you pretty much described my gal 10 years ago..She was always up for a good project and enjoyed getting down and dirty.

Of course with age, things have slowed down. The old gray mare just ain't what she used to be. LOL

Ya, things slow down, but I'm hoping that she takes the physicality (is that a word) of her dad,.....old guy is in his 80's and not slowing down so much.  Many times, people at work ask how I do so much on the weekends, I just reply that I have to keep up with my wife so I don't look so bad.

Not now but rather 24hr ago this flew overhead…. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b0b690b80351c428c2ef8cb64f3f1fd2.jpeg

A quick search revealed that They were performing background radiation surveys in preparation of the upcoming Super Bowl. 

https://www.energy.gov/nnsa/articles/nnsa-conduct-aerial-radiation-assessment-survey-over-los-angeles-feb-1-2

https://www.energy.gov/nnsa/aerial-measuring-system-ams

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!

On 1/30/2022 at 6:49 AM, ESokoloff said:

And I Know there’s a better way. 

By the way, that’s a Jason belt & tho not a good enough image to say with certainty the belt looks fine but the motor shive looks to be a bit worn/grooved.

The next time the belts off look at the motor sheave & make sure it still has straight walls like a V & not grooved like a U. 
If the bottom of the sheave valley is polished, it indicates that the belt width &/or sheave walls have worn to the point that the belt’s bottom is contacting the sheave valley. 

This is bad as the belt is no longer wedged into the sheave & will now slip. 

PS. sorry, I have no bad weather to show

Expecting highs in the low 70°s (f)

PS 1.2:  Upon further review, belt is toast & motor sheave is suspected to be worn. 

Note the conditions of the belts bottom. 
On the left the notches are flattened & on the right they are still rounded. 
this indicates that the belt is contacting the sheaves valley & that the belt is no longer a wedge so it will have a tendency to slip.  
The image also shows that the sheave appears to be quite polished also indicative to sheave grooving/belt slipping. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2115de4bf8e181595dcbdd087ef1a73c.jpeg

Looky what I found today........

AX-48 even!!!

Note the rounded profile on the ends of the notches.  

Unless Jason changed their design (not likely), your motor sheave is excessively worn (U not V shaped) and this caused the belt to ride on the notched ends thus wearing (flattening) them. 

Stick with a X belt as the notches help prevent premature cracks. 

BCFF306F-F046-4EE1-94E7-9D5381D70352.jpeg

8B1D0A38-05C9-4DC9-8EED-F54BAA7FAB90.jpeg

46 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I just replaced it, no belt material spitting itself on the floor so far. :dontknow:

A0E1E76D-98B5-4AD5-BB31-B9A53243EF07.jpeg

Just a mater of time with that motor sheave grooved.  

Added: It probably won’t shred the belt but the belts going to prematurely wear due to a non-wedge interface with the warn  (U) motor sheave 

So, you’re saying the sheave (I always called them pulleys :classic_biggrin:) is worn out? Good info to have if the belt shits out in a few weeks. I’ll be like “look at that groove in the sheave” that’s why it’s wearing the belt prematurely. They’ll think I’m a GD genius! :rofl:

Thanks again! 

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

So, you’re saying the sheave (I always called them pulleys :classic_biggrin:) is worn out? Good info to have if the belt shits out in a few weeks. I’ll be like “look at that groove in the sheave” that’s why it’s wearing the belt prematurely. They’ll think I’m a GD genius! :rofl:

Thanks again! 

Potato, Potatoe.......

Heres a cartoon as to what to look at/for. 

0C5CA45E-1E89-4F48-A845-50B730439719.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Dennis Andress

I've been working on it for all of our, unusually long, eight weeks of winter. The stock tires slid when presented with the least bit of sand. The OEM struts rode less than an inch from the bump stops, and made no attempt to control body roll. I did enjoy power sliding at intersections, but the ride got pretty rough, and the tires wore out.

I'll never again bitch about buying Ohlins for a bike. Ride height is 15mm lower than stock.. The wheels are 17x8, making them 1" wider than stock (and 1 lb lighter). Offset is 45 mm. I put 215/45/17 Michelin Sport 4 S tires  on them. It's still a dog slow Miata, but the giggles are now much louder :4323:

814F22AF-D2EB-4BEE-94E9-D7419055078F.jpeg

The car was loud inside. I put sticky rubber sound damping pads everywhere I could. I put a bunch of it in and on the POS subwoofer and installed  better speakers. It's much nicer now. :19:

2CB441A3-238E-4165-BB35-A6F0B02996C6.jpeg

It's as close to an RT as I'll get 

D21F2831-2CFD-4838-A4D0-8E25E6AE8041.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m at work this morning and I happen to notice this electrical panel door open out in front of the station. Phone/traffic lights IDK. :dontknow: So I walk over to close it and it seems we have some comedians working for Ma Bell. :spittake:

8CE81861-63C7-4075-B79D-8AC7A4E96909.jpeg

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I’m at work this morning and I happen to notice this electrical panel door open out in front of the station. Phone/traffic lights IDK. :dontknow: So I walk over to close it and it seems we have some comedians working for Ma Bell. :spittake:

8CE81861-63C7-4075-B79D-8AC7A4E96909.jpeg

If they haven't finished, you could leave a reply.  :4323:

• Thinking 1
6 hours ago, Red said:

a reply

5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

great idea

Firehouse story....told to me by a fireman so you know it happened.

"B" shift has a leftover berry pie and is going off shift for one day. Captain puts a note on it," Hands off- B shift property...we spit on it"

They come back to work 24 hours later and the pie is untouched in the fridge where the Cap'n left it..... with  a note that said,

"So did we."  :rofl:

• Haha 3