IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

It hath really begun

Started pulling the cedar siding off, stuff was in pretty bad shape.  Don't know how long it has been covered with vinyl, but the previous owners did not take care of it, hence covering it.  Even found a piece that was cracked that had silicon filling the crack

Here is my esteemed assistant,.....really the foreman, doing some work65488842068__E5E2DFC4-C2DC-4E01-9882-3C08E5A72F04.thumb.jpg.45ccf51496b300b4a4dea82d776e8ef6.jpg

The cedar just splintered when pulling off, no amount of gentle massaging would help, just too dried out.

IMG_1906.thumb.jpg.17ae566c0d8bfad159388411de4a15c0.jpgIMG_1905.thumb.jpg.72d5c6b7d8d17ae143e6013b307014a7.jpg

So, into the recycle bin it goes

IMG_1908.thumb.jpg.96cea15415b220782139c4d32551faaf.jpg

All off

IMG_1907.thumb.jpg.dd3e3fa731e6e87bc80ef87228da70da.jpg

Almost all wrapped

IMG_1909.thumb.jpg.5bb43e32963258a6025b46988f911618.jpg

There was no wood sheathing.  At the time this house was built, foam board was accepted as "sheathing",....ugh!!

Tomorrow, we'll finish up the wrapping up top, then start with the hardieplank,.....really, really looking forward to that :5150: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

It hath really begun

Started pulling the cedar siding off, stuff was in pretty bad shape.  Don't know how long it has been covered with vinyl, but the previous owners did not take care of it, hence covering it.  Even found a piece that was cracked that had silicon filling the crack

Here is my esteemed assistant,.....really the foreman, doing some work65488842068__E5E2DFC4-C2DC-4E01-9882-3C08E5A72F04.thumb.jpg.45ccf51496b300b4a4dea82d776e8ef6.jpg

The cedar just splintered when pulling off, no amount of gentle massaging would help, just too dried out.

IMG_1906.thumb.jpg.17ae566c0d8bfad159388411de4a15c0.jpgIMG_1905.thumb.jpg.72d5c6b7d8d17ae143e6013b307014a7.jpg

So, into the recycle bin it goes

IMG_1908.thumb.jpg.96cea15415b220782139c4d32551faaf.jpg

All off

IMG_1907.thumb.jpg.dd3e3fa731e6e87bc80ef87228da70da.jpg

Almost all wrapped

IMG_1909.thumb.jpg.5bb43e32963258a6025b46988f911618.jpg

There was no wood sheathing.  At the time this house was built, foam board was accepted as "sheathing",....ugh!!

Tomorrow, we'll finish up the wrapping up top, then start with the hardieplank,.....really, really looking forward to that :5150: 

If you're doing more than one side, consider using a transit or laser level to index bottom of lowest Hardie plank on all four sides first so planks match up at corners. 

Hardie is easy.  Wear mask & hearing protection when cutting.  Hope you're using nail gun.  When ours was installed 20+ years ago, the planks were simply butted together w/ 1/8" gap and caulked.  Better is using siding-colored aluminum behind the joints and not caulking.  YMMV.

1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

Hardie is easy.  Wear mask & hearing protection when cutting.  Hope you're using nail gun.  When ours was installed 20+ years ago, the planks were simply butted together w/ 1/8" gap and caulked.  Better is using siding-colored aluminum behind the joints and not caulking.  YMMV.

“The times they are a-changing” 

Butt joints INSTRUCTIONS  have changed.  

I cringe at the thought of using a nail vs pre-drilling/countersinking & using screws in a controls manner but apparently many installers use them saving a lot of time. 
What ever attachment technique used, practice, practice, practice & check your work as you go as cement board Is Not Forgiving

Don’t skimp on dust masks.
This ain’t no COVID!!!

15 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

Off to a good start. 
Maybe jam/glue a spacer under that left board so it’s flush with the right board. 

That'll be in the finishing phase of this debacle. 

21 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

If you're doing more than one side, consider using a transit or laser level to index bottom of lowest Hardie plank on all four sides first so planks match up at corners. 

If'n you're gonna be looking that close, you can buy the house ;)

21 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Mask, meh, had the wind to my back.  Always wear the muffs with the power tools.  Had the nail gun dialed in for the first board, but started poking holes too much, a little PTSD momet somehow manged to throw the nail gun across the yard, ended up going manual.  We're putting standard cut flashing behind the joints.  They're fairly close, probably clog the joints with paint.

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta
29 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Florida definitely has its own character and the worst drivers on earth!  Ok, maybe not Bill and Bernie!

A native Floridian said, "When I retire, I'm moving to Toronto.  I going to drive on the highways at 35 mph with my left turn signal on all the time".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

So the second part of my day (after Porsche) (I’ll never be the same) :classic_biggrin: looked like this. I went to peek at that CLC but the shop was closed. :( Needing a bike fix I shot out to the coast and stopped at MAX BMW. A few pics.

5E6DC78B-EF6F-4A10-93A9-EE86763E2B89.jpeg

FAE761B6-CDFE-43E0-807A-7C851D7199D9.jpeg

7F4BF5E9-5F08-47FF-A927-362639310D12.jpeg

Dave did this  ^  :-))

D3DF9CED-0F5A-440E-82AA-2B52C27106C3.jpeg

Markey’s

• Like 3

Yes some of the joints are caulked, they werent tight enough for my liking. I did have to face nail a wee bit and the very top one is, meh, well its on there 

C50F2E6C-51A3-4926-B016-76D645DCFBBD.jpeg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Yes some of the joints are caulked, they werent tight enough for my liking. I did have to face nail a wee bit and the very top one is, meh, well its on there 

C50F2E6C-51A3-4926-B016-76D645DCFBBD.jpeg

Choose your paint color carefully as it might be the last topcoat you’ll ever need

1 hour ago, ESokoloff said:

Choose your paint color carefully as it might be the last topcoat you’ll ever need

Thanks, she's looking into colors.

The previous owners didn't even have flashing above the windows.  It looks like when the vinyl was put on, the board above the very top piece of cedar and under the gable vent, was "broken/chiseled" away.  I had to cut that broken board out and replace it,.....and the windows have flashing now.

Two more gable areas, but the rest of the house shouldn't be much of an issue.   We start taking off the cedar in the screened porch next weekend.  This endeavor should be a bit easier.

1 hour ago, ESokoloff said:

PS:

Tell me I’m not looking at scaff:dopeslap:foilding  

10 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

PS:

Tell me I’m not looking at scaff:dopeslap:foilding  

But you are, well, part of it anyway.

We had a 12ft bench (16" wide, 4" high) that was built into/onto the deck that we removed (solid, real solid), we had that propped on the railing and the second shelf (top shelf removed) of the wire rack......'bout six inches onto the wire rack and just over the edge of the railing,....shoulda got the OSHA picture for ya'll, I'm sure we'll do that scenario again;)

We looked at using our ladder jacks but there's not enough height to be able to get the spread needed to use the jacks.

I recommended stacking paint cans,.....but she kinda didn't want to go that route:dontknow:

• Smile 1

I’m no Saint.  

Early in my carrier I discovered the Law’s of ones Resourcefulness.

(1) Access to raw materials

(2) Creativity 

(3) Desperation

She keeps you grounded:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

I’m no Saint.  

Early in my carrier I discovered the Law’s of ones Resourcefulness.

(1) Access to raw materials

(2) Creativity 

(3) Desperation

She keeps you grounded:thumbsup:

Yep

image.png.47a497d56b3c78ab3978ba3d84b79946.pngimage.thumb.png.1ca00044d5996918de04a2fab0f02d60.pngimage.png.a4c29b3d920d5df27e4672bb0a1a578f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ladder angle in the 1st image is borderline but definitely too steep in the last shot. 
drop the bucket move it closer & you have my approval (so long as the hydraulics hold tight).  

7 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

Ladder angle in the 1st image is borderline but definitely too steep in the last shot. 
drop the bucket move it closer & you have my approval (so long as the hydraulics hold tight).  

6 hours ago, Hosstage said:

As a union tradesman having to be safety conscious at all times on the job site, some of those pictures give me heart palpitations!

Good thing I'm non-union and don't have to follow some overly protective help me protect me from myself standard.

Safety is an individual choice, take a chance.  That ladder on the tree,....not a real stable branch, by the time I got up the ladder, the top of the ladder was even with the top of the branch, 'bout four-five more inches of wiggle room........but, I'm insured pretty good.

These are just the shots I have.  Some of the areas I have to put the ladder, there is nothing solid at the top, so, it's mid-way supported in a stack of bushes with 3-5 feet of open air above the bush, get's a little squirrely slightly above that apex.

10 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sketchy ladder use, it's fun to watch! 

Like that eh?

suspense Archives - Reaction GIFs

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/3/2021 at 9:14 PM, roadscholar said:

Florida house.

E0A9B29C-1249-4B90-9F88-58F4FFB64749.thumb.jpeg.c08cff050ba496e6fd3c97cc5bcc1eba.jpeg

I would swear I know someone who used to live there. Is that down on Palm Valley road?

4 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

I would swear I know someone who used to live there. Is that down on Palm Valley road?

Its on Sisco Rd on the east side of Lake Broward, NE of Pomona Park. That’s pretty common architecture for N Fla early 1900. Quite a few still standing in small central/N Fla towns, check out McIntosh sometime, nearly the whole town is like that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

With sports on the telley??  Hmmm. Makes one wonder how a diligent worker can concentrate on the task at hand.   :dontknow:

You caught me!  

• Haha 1

My local paper says no one was killed or injured at this feed mill when part of it let go. I ride by it every day on my way to work. Maybe it happened overnight when no one was around. Crews are using a sort of suspended nibbler to demolish the remainder. Wouldn’t you know it, right when corn is coming off.

18EFA2FA-6A53-4D11-B73F-9FDCF87B1C11.thumb.jpeg.42b4e24ed7640b97357e7745ce6b2915.jpeg

When your coworker is going home for the day and sends you this picture

107ED154-8E7C-4F68-885D-533467A9E090.thumb.jpeg.4abe965fe26352b3ff27bdc2752ac2be.jpeg

Its been there since I arrived at 0630,…..been a fun week. 

25 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

107ED154-8E7C-4F68-885D-533467A9E090.thumb.jpeg.4abe965fe26352b3ff27bdc2752ac2be.jpeg

You could leave it there for weeks and odds are nobody would take it, thieves don't want old Mercedes or BMW motorcycles, they don't understand them, are afraid it'll break down while they're trying to get away, and it's not a good look with their peers, i.e. not cool : ) 

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

You could leave it there for weeks and odds are nobody would take it, thieves don't want old Mercedes or BMW motorcycles, they don't understand them, are afraid it'll break down while they're trying to get away, and it's not a good look with their peers, i.e. not cool : ) 

It's happened before where I walk out at 1800 and notice the key in the switch.

I don't know if I'm lazy , stupid , or both , but my key never comes out unless I need to open a bag. 
Pat , if you bring a few of those treats with you to Start , I'd be happy if you shared with me !

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

I don't know if I'm lazy , stupid , or both , but my key never comes out unless I need to open a bag. 
Pat , if you bring a few of those treats with you to Start , I'd be happy if you shared with me !

The GSA can be started at anytime, that clunky-assed fob stays in the tank box (whatever that thing is).

I generally take the key out of the RT cause its "seeable", but have forgotten a few times.  Habit is hard to break as all the keys for all the vehicles are in them when I'm home.

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

You forgot to leave starting instructions.......

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

It has a manual transmission and a clutch, so........

You know a chick won’t steal it…

spy-the-office.gif

:classic_biggrin:

58 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

You know a chick won’t steal it…

spy-the-office.gif

:classic_biggrin:

Both my daughters first vehicles were sticks, oldest daughter's second was a stick, youngest went with the auto.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Haunted House in town. You would not believe how much detail this one dude puts into this display.

image.thumb.jpeg.39dec2e9783ea757da0107d7f59730a8.jpeg

2DB0D089-3064-49B9-8F6F-53A865880036.jpeg

Happy times.  Looks like the young 'un is growing!

Next Wednesday thru Saturday, we're celebrating Thanksgiving here at "The Treehouse"....It's the only time all of my family could get together. One daughter from Destin FL; the other.from  Gulfport MS; and my only-remaining sibling (sister) from Calif. with her husband and grandson.  The Treehouse will be overflowing with people, laughter, and a little drama, for which I'm thankful! 

• Like 3