IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

44 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I wouldn't say this guy didn't understand that.  The front right hits loose stuff, which appears to me, to cause the back to kick to the left, crossing it up a bit. 

What this guy lacked was a spotter to give him proper direction.  When you are angled up like that, you cannot see in front of you what the best line is.

Maybe he's done this trail a'plenty and felt it a "no problem", I dunno, I know I've done plenty of trails over and over to the point that I woulda been complacent in my driving.

Same here, a local hill I'd been up many times, then one time loaded 4 up in a CJ, it bounced sideways a bit and it got really quiet for a few seconds while I tried to keep from killing my friends. Took it a little more seriously after that.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

This elevator probably shoulda been taken out of service:

The number of U.S elevator deaths and serious injuries is astounding -- 30 deaths and 17,000 serious injuries per year, based on a 2006 study.  Look before you get on, and don't dawdle getting on and off. Or, use the stairs.

Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

The number of U.S elevator deaths and serious injuries is astounding -- 30 deaths and 17,000 serious injuries per year, based on a 2006 study.  Look before you get on, and don't dawdle getting on and off. Or, use the stairs.

This report gives a bit more info:

https://www.cpwr.com/wp-content/uploads/publications/elevator_escalator_BLSapproved_1.pdf

Incidents involving elevators and escalators each year kill 31 people and seriously injure about 17,000 people in the United States, according to CPWR analysis of data provided by the BLS (1992-2009) and the CPSC (1997-2010). Elevators are the prime culprit, causing about 90% of the deaths and 60% of the serious injuries. Half of the annual deaths are to people working in or near elevators – including those installing, repairing, and maintaining elevators, and working in or near elevator shafts.

So 90% X 31 = 28 deaths per year, but with half of them occurring among "constructors" (people who are working on/near elevators).  That leaves 15 deaths per year among elevator passengers, which doesn't sound quite so bad.  

However 60% X 17,000  = 10,200 injuries per year from elevators is a lot.  It's harder to parse out how many of the injuries per year are to constructors and how many are to passengers.  Googling suggests the two most common sources of injury for passengers are:

• Floor mis-leveling, meaning the elevator stops slightly above or below your floor.  I've seen many elevators that are still creeping the final few inches to good floor alignment even while the doors are already opening.  If you're not paying attention to the need to step up/down as you get on or off, you can trip or stumble.  If you're young/sober/nimble you can probably stay upright, but for everyone else,  you can get hurt pretty good from the resulting fall.  Wouldn't be surprised if some of the deaths each year are due to head injuries incurred during such falls.
  • Door strikes.  Elevator doors can be pretty heavy and fast, and some of them rely on physical contact (instead of an optical sensor) to trigger a reversal.  Although they may squash you between them (more of a problem if you're old and frail), they don't have to do so to hurt you; they just need to make you stumble/lose your balance/fall.  

Your advice is pretty good: pay attention when getting on/off (not just whether the elevator is there, but is there a step up/down), and don't linger in the doorway.

Meh, you can't worry 'bout the safety of everything.

One of our guys was stuck in the lift for over four hours, another, the lift stopped between floors so he hollered until another employee heard him and forced the doors open so he could crawl out.......but it's got the NC approval letter inside with current year.

Damn thing sounds like it's gonna fall most days.........but, we still ride, even the 83 year old mail lady.

7 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Soooooo, Ryan is at it again!!!!

Rather abrupt ending. :5146:

Would have liked to see if helmet vents on top have any effect.

14 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Rather abrupt ending

I get the removal of the chin blocker as a mitigator, but I think opening the visor and exhaling up would do the same thing.......seems movement is key.

I just enjoy his vids as the production values and humor are excellent.:18:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Overthinking,...has anyone passed out at speed from high carbon dioxide levels.  Has anyone really notice a decline in any decision making skills due to wearing a helmet at speed and high carbon dioxide levels.

If the air can be felt moving in the helmet, there's likely a high enough air exchange that there isn't a sufficient concern at all.

But overall, his videos are excellent

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Overthinking,...has anyone passed out at speed from high carbon dioxide levels.  Has anyone really notice a decline in any decision making skills due to wearing a helmet at speed and high carbon dioxide levels.

If the air can be felt moving in the helmet, there's likely a high enough air exchange that there isn't a sufficient concern at all.

To be a serious problem (i.e. a potential for meaningful cognitive impairment), the dead volume inside the helmet would need to be a significant fraction of one's tidal volume, and also poorly ventilated, and you'd need to sustain those conditions for a considerable length of time. I don't think any of those applies.  For starters, such conditions would be immediately apparent in slightly cool weather: you'd be constantly fogging up your visor.  

OTOH, CO2 buildup in late-model cars can be a problem when the HVAC system is set to recirculate:

Mathur noted several deaths recorded by the Arizona Dept. of Transportation were blamed on crashes from CO2 buildup affecting the driver. The attributions were validated by blood analysis of the crash victims, indicating the issue is real world.

image.thumb.png.740749417d1086da4674952b9cb70edc.png

One thing Ryan didn't make a note of is the fact that you need considerable time of exposure to high concentrations of CO2 before troublesome effects set in:

File:Physiological effects of carbon dioxide concentration and exposure period.png

1100 PPM is regarded as the threshold where people tend to start to notice the air feels "stuffy".  That's 0.0011 bar on the above plot, almost down on the zero line.   So if you have a chin curtain (like I do) and keep your visor clamped shut while you're waiting at a traffic light for two minutes, you might feel a bit better if you open your visor and breathe some fresh air - but even if keep things sealed up tight, you're not going to compromise your brain power; you'll still be down at the bottom of the "no effect" zone.  

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
8 hours ago, Skywagon said:

1940's gas stations....

I remember the Esso brand from when I was a little kid, but I was an adult of many years before I realized that Esso was just the phonetic spelling of S.O., or Standard Oil.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Hosstage said:

I also see according to that site the 20 cents a gallon equals $3.83 in today's dollar value. Not so much saving for the time.

Damn curmudgeon :classic_biggrin:  Quit shooting missiles through his balloon

• Haha 1

I have a friend that believes he really would have been happier growing up in the 50's, that those are his time. He bases his thoughts on the show Happy Days and American Graffiti.

• Sad 1

When people grew up in a certain era and say they were the "good ole days" , it's likely because they were young in those days without a worry in the world about them. 

Would I go back to the late 70's/early 80's, yep, certainly.  Roof over my head I didn't have to fund, food in my belly I didn't have to fund, clothes on my back I didn't have to fund, no additional mouths that I had to feed, just livin' life on my bicycle,.....those were the "good ole days".

Memories of youth being "good old days" are a bit deceitful as it makes one think the "times were better".  

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Back in the 50’s we bought a bottle of coke from a vending machine for 5 cents! Bottles had city of manufacture molded on the bottom.

“Between 1886 and 1959, the price of a 6.5 US fl oz (190 mL) glass or bottle of Coca-Cola was set at five cents, or one nickel, and remained fixed with very little local fluctuation.” — wikipedia

"Why the price of coke didn't change for 70 years" - NPR: https://www.npr.org/transcripts/719213730

Yes, those were the days!

Edited by AnotherLee
Stirring the pot!
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, AnotherLee said:

Back in the 50’s we bought a bottle of coke from a vending machine for 5 cents! Bottles had city of manufacture molded on the bottom.

“Between 1886 and 1959, the price of a 6.5 US fl oz (190 mL) glass or bottle of Coca-Cola was set at five cents, or one nickel, and remained fixed with very little local fluctuation.” — wikipedia

"Why the price of coke didn't change for 70 years" - NPR: https://www.npr.org/transcripts/719213730

Yes, those were the days!

This you?:grin::grin::grin:

• Haha 1

Read some of the comments on YouTube, very few negatives like what if it had a signal glitch and launched him a hundred feet in the air… :dontknow: Yep, mom would be mad I’m sure. :classic_biggrin: The kid had pretty good instinct to let go when he did. :thumbsup:

edit…

Actually after watching it again, he really didn’t let go… I hope he grows up smart. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Anybody else like WWII warbirds??

This is about the recently restored to flight XP-82 and some of the history of the design and development.  I always thought it was a myth, someone's fantasy.  Not so.  272 were built and it did see combat - in Korea.

• Like 2

I thought it was very interesting that the first prototype aircraft would not, could not fly, they literally couldn't get it off the ground - until they discovered the simple problem. 

Also, the 14 hour, 31 minutes nonstop flight from Honolulu to Laguardia in Feb of 1947, where they could have continued to Iceland except for the empty drop tanks the overzealous ground crew tightened up.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/north-american-aviation-p-82b-1-na-twin-mustang/

image.png.6e16dbf7b6205802d2b5588bc0fcdf62.png

2,215 gallons of fuel (in a "fighter"!!).

• Thanks 1

ITCHEY BOOTS IS BACK!!

Absolutely THE BEST travel/adventure series ever.  Absolutely fearless, multilingual, a geologist, a very good rider, does all the camera work, drones and editing herself, but the best part is her personality: always positive and CHEERFUL.  Stunning photography, a genuine warm, humble, and very smart rider/tourguide.  

Never knew I liked Morocco before today.  The impromptu serenade at the end is telling and touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTX0ucWkIk0&t=8s

image.thumb.png.5a67704bd1b36f7e0a714bc5ab548e15.png

There really are a lot of very nice people out there.

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday

Two different designs for a fractal vise that can grab irregularly-shaped items.  One of these designs is surprisingly simple: