IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

11 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I'm guilty of occasionally straightening the curve, in especially safe situations of course...

On a “closed course” no doubt. ;) 

I do it all the time in the fire truck. I do have the advantage of height for sight and the warning lights. :) 

To be more detailed, it’s not so much for speed but you have a guy in the back trying to get his turnout gear on and the smoother you can make the ride, the easier it is for him.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I think they call that straightening the curve. ;) :revit::classic_biggrin:

...Flattenin' the hills,

Someday the mountains might get 'em

But the law never will

• Smile 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
21 hours ago, BendBill said:

Nov 12 --Happy exploding whale day.

A less famous exploding whale.  Fair warning, do not watch while eating.

• Smile 1
9 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Pedal misapplication

Doubt it as the brake lights did come on initially...... long time for a misapplication:dontknow:

The EventDataRecorder in the vehicle knows for sure, unless the Tesla Mothership can alter/erase that info. If I was investigating the crash(es), I would recover the EDR asap and put it in a Faraday envelope until the info could be downloaded.

• Plus 1 1
10 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Pedal misapplication?

Tesla is helping with the investigation, but says the video footage shows no brake light (meaning no foot on brake pedal).

Perhaps the brake lights were not on because the system failed?

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2022/05/12/ntsb-investigation-tesla-crash-columbus-convention-center-autopilot/9729611002/

Joe Frickin' Friday
7 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Doubt it as the brake lights did come on initially...... long time for a misapplication:dontknow:

I’ve seen footage of people who crashed into a wall with their foot accidentally on the gas…and then put it in reverse and crash into something else because their foot is still on the gas…and then put it in drive and crash for a third time, having never realized their foot was on the accelerator the entire time.  

it’s certainly possible the car is entirely to blame. But without any info other than the video, I’d speculate that the autopilot spontaneously aborted the roadside stop and started tailgating the scooter, at which point the driver accidentally hit the accel instead of the brake.  

Teslas use regenerative braking for light decel, which would be “drive by wire”, but they do use friction brakes for heavier decel.  Does anyone know whether those friction brakes are also drive by wire?

7 hours ago, lkraus said:

Perhaps the brake lights were not on because the system failed?

the article you linked to is subscription only.  I looked up other articles about that crash, but didn’t see anything that had clearly concluded what the cause was.  

2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

.  I looked up other articles about that crash, but didn’t see anything that had clearly concluded what the cause was.  

The cause has never been determined, or if it was, it was never made public.  NTSB declined to investigate, said they could have gotten telemetry data if they wanted to, but did not, and refused to provide a reason why they did not investigate. "...Tesla checked their system and they did not receive any telematic data from this crash. ...The vehicle ECM would likely have retained the data." - but there have been no reports that the data was ever collected. The driver said  "he lost control of his brakes and was unable to stop". The car traveled nearly a mile at about 70 mph, mostly on a 35 mph downtown street. Columbus police have declined to release information from their investigation, including video from traffic cameras showing its progress. 

9 hours ago, lkraus said:

Tesla checked their system and they did not receive any telematic data from this crash. ...The vehicle ECM would likely have retained the data."

All cars are required to have an EDR. It permanently stores the 5 seconds of data prior to a significant Event, usually an airbag detonation. The data was there, the Feds allowed Tesla to cover it up....... No other possibility.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

All cars are required to have an EDR. It permanently stores the 5 seconds of data prior to a significant Event, usually an airbag detonation. The data was there, the Feds allowed Tesla to cover it up....... No other possibility.

Interesting, but doesn't say they are mandated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_data_recorder

EDRs are not mandated on new vehicles, however, if they are installed, they must meet US DOT requirements governing the data they collect.[2] As of 2004, an estimated 40 million passenger vehicles are equipped with the devices.[18][19]

https://recaro-nao.com/does-my-car-have-an-edr/#Is_an_EDR_required_by_law

Is an EDR required by law?

No an EDR is not required by law.

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

doesn't say they are mandated

I sit corrected. There was a big push to mandate them in 2013 and I thought it had gone thru.:dontknow:

Carmakers have been putting them in cars starting in the mid 90's with higher end vehicles and progressing down to less expensive ones ever since....... I have no doubt that Tesla has them in their vehicles, nor do I doubt that the Tesla Mothership controls all.:java:

• 2 weeks later...

LNG tank storage on top of the truck?    I would have guessed it to be a safe zone.   They may be going back to the drawing board on that one.

.... and yea,  he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed :4317:

• Plus 1 1
10 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

Any SR-71 Fan’s out there?

If you look really close, you can see Roug hiding behind the cab watching for scallywags.  :)

On a more serious note, my instructor who taught me spins and helped me achieved my CFII was an SR 71 pilot.  He didn't say much when asked other than yow.... it's pretty fast and fly's pretty high.  Dude was a Colonel and fearless in an airplane.  Flew a couple of airshows with him.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

The Letters Live channel is a collection of people reading noteworthy letters before a live audience.  The content ranges from profound to hilarious.  Here's a reading of a letter from a WW1 soldier to his wife, recounting his personal experience of the Christmas Truce:

Here, director Taika Waititi reads a letter from a driver challenging a speeding ticket in New Zealand:

Pretty interesting.   The guy put together a lot of innovative contraptions for entertainment purposes.

We have a bird feeder with a baffle and have yet to see any our locals make a successful climb, so I am getting a kick out of the video.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
19 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Toured the Subaru plant in LaFayette, IN in late '19.  At the paint stations, the guide told us paint room employees were given a list of hair and skin care and body wash products they could/couldn't use as some creams, shampoos, etc. shed particles that caused dimples in the paint surfaces.

Back in '93-94, I was part of Special Operations Training Group.  Within that group, I belong to the Cliff Assault section and we were responsible for training Marines to climb rocks.  Additional duties were Helicopter Rope Suspension Techniques (SPIE rig, rappel and fastrope from all the birds) as well as Urban Assult (climbing buildings, inserting into windows from the roof (oh man, that's fun), as well as how to get down them fast).  Had recruiting not jammed me (I was NOT a volunteer for that gig), I would have also had the luxury of being trained with our Mountain Section,...and their trips to Thule Greenland to ice climb, cravass rescues and whiteshitassault stuff.  The crew that did that said it's much easier to ice climb than rock climb because of the ice axes and crampons,...pretty much make your own route.  Sooo, I missed out, I think it woulda been fun gig.

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Had recruiting not jammed me (I was NOT a volunteer for that gig)

Trivia question 🙋‍♂️ rough number, (or maybe you know exactly :dontknow:) how many Marines did you take part in making? 

2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Trivia question 🙋‍♂️ rough number, (or maybe you know exactly :dontknow:) how many Marines did you take part in making? 

'twas low over the course of three years as I was an honest recruiter.  68 actually made it. 

Marine recruiters statistics are a bit odd as they must graduate bootcamp for us to have them count (like you can control an illness or injury).  I think other branches don't have that against them.  The requirement at the time was three a month, if you look at my overall, it ended with a 1.8ish.  I think I only had five months total where I hit the three or more for a given month......I survived recruiting.

Many recruiters I knew would have high numbers of four, five, six a month,....but, here's the kicker, they didn't stick.  Either those would drop out of the delayed entry program or drop out of bootcamp.....thus, it went against them.  The saying goes, "recruiting is nice, but shipping is king", meaning that you can recruit them all day, but you gotta get them to bootcamp AND make sure they graduate.  My retention rate was high.  I think it was over 90% would go to bootcamp and 98% graduated.  Only one of mine went as an "open" contract (no guaranteed MOS), yet, he actually got what he wanted (mechanic).

With my primary MOS of infantry, I only enlisted five in the grunts (I couldn't talk them out of it),....once I gave them the "where do you see yourself after you get out" spiel and "you really gotta like misery", they opted for technical jobs.  I would put kids on the phone with recruiters that primary MOSs that the kid was seeking, yet, never, not once, did I have a recruiter call me to explain to their applicant what the grunts was like.

I always started my presentation with misery, how bad you will be treated, how miserable you will feel,....the long weeks away, long months away, no contact with friends, family.  My applicants would get the worst the Marine Corps had to offer.  Only then, if they were still interested, would I go into the happy shiat, the fun stuff, benefits and the like.  You gotta be real good,.....really good at rejection.   36 months out there, didn't take a single day of leave (you'd get behind).  Summer months was seven days a week.  Cooler months, six and sometimes seven days a week.  M-Thur was 0800-2000 minimum, I had appointments at 2300, 2400, 0100, 0200 at times (meet when you can).  Fridays, 0800-1800ish (kids disappear Friday evenings).  Saturdays could be 0300ish-1700ish (if a meeting was happening, you gotta pick em up and drop em off), no meeting it was 0700-1300.  Sundays were early as well as you had to get those that were shipping back up to MEPS, some, we had to drive up (two hour one way if you did the speed limits).

Recruiting was a love-hate-hate relationship.  It was nice being in the civilian world in uniform, but it was miserable because you really had no control (if you were honest) on the decisions that these kids make.   The best thing outta recruiting,.......I met my wife.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

If you've never had a CPR class, please consider signing up for one.  If that's not going to work for you, then at least consider reading this how-to guide.  The success rate is pretty low, but when it does work, holy crap, you've just saved someone's life.

• Like 3