IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

9 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

tried this out

This technique is mainly used during aggressive riding...... (think high lean angle right turns while leading with your shoulder)....... In those circumstances it is the best way to get precise throttle control. YMMV

Joe Frickin' Friday

An aerial RC juggernaut with a 34' wingspan takes multiple kamikaze hits and keeps on cruising, finally succumbing to its own design flaw:

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

You say your chainsaw ain't loud enough?  This guy's got you covered:

I could use this for a horn on my Zero electric motorcycle :rofl:

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it must fly like a duck.

Ta daaa!

• Smile 1
  • Haha 3
Joe Frickin' Friday

Next time you're curious about how flammable something really is...just learn to live with not knowing, OK?

Joe Frickin' Friday

I posted in the "Right Now!" thread last night about tinkering with an AI image generator and getting some eye-catching results.  I got there after watching this music video, in which each image is generated by using the accompanying lyric as an input for the image generator.  Mr. Blue Sky is a great upbeat song, but some of the images are kind of sinister and dark - and yet, each one is somehow undeniably evocative of its lyric:

Joe Frickin' Friday

Changing channels last night, I happened to tune in to a NASCAR race that was cancelled because of rain, so they were showing a 2015 NASCAR race in Daytona instead.  They had just come out of caution with three laps to go, and then at the finish line there was maybe the craziest wreck I’ve seen (includes slo-mo replay at 1:34):

The view from the stands right where it happened, showing how the catch fence was absolutely obliterated (13 fans injured, no fatalities):

You can see some fans pumping fists as "hell yeah!!  So and so is out!! Hell Yeah!"  "Wooo!!"

Stay classy NASCAR fans.  Stay classy.

That fence catches most of the big pieces, but hot oil and coolant come right through.

The next video that popped up was Romain Grosjean's devastating fiery crash that he walked away from. It was the most horrific crash I'd ever seen, I thought for sure I'd just seen a fatality. I can't tell you the feelings I had when I saw him crawl out, it was overwhelming. 

RandyShields
On 8/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

An aerial RC juggernaut with a 34' wingspan takes multiple kamikaze hits and keeps on cruising, finally succumbing to its own design flaw:

Not sure why they wanted to crash other airplanes into it.

RandyShields
On 8/26/2022 at 9:56 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Mr. Blue Sky is a great upbeat song,

I found the AI input interesting, but not as creative as one of ELO's best songs ever.  

Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Not sure why they wanted to crash other airplanes into it.

I suspect that was the point, i.e. to give the other pilots a target of sorts to play with.  I think the guy who built that, Peter Sripol, is the same guy that built this (cued to 6:02, liftoff at 6:50):

wow...just watched the two racing wrecks above.  Thats a real testament to the gear and the field crews. The one Hostage posted where he hits at 140mph is very surprising he lived.  I have a friend who is an NTSB investigator.  He said it isn't usually blunt for trauma that kills folks it is the organs separation from the impact.  I don't know how these guys escaped.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Is there there something wrong with me that I need a $20,000 motorcycle in order to feel fulfilled?   This dog seems to be happier than anyone I know, and all it took was a ten-cent rubber glove:

33 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Is there there something wrong with me that I need a $20,000 motorcycle in order to feel fulfilled?   This dog seems to be happier than anyone I know, and all it took was a ten-cent rubber glove:

I cringe when I see a rubber glove.:14:

• Haha 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
7 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

I cringe when I see a rubber glove.:14:

Do what that dog does: make sure the glove stays in front of you.  :classic_biggrin:

• Plus 1 1
6 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

1990 F1, no pit lane speed limit, and pit crew wearing shorts and polo shirts:

To see it now makes it seem insane.

It was insane!

Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

To see it now makes it seem insane.

It was insane!

Safety tech has come a long way over the years, but so have attitudes.

A few years ago I saw a documentary in which Jackie Stewart recounted his crash at the '66 Belgian Grand Prix.  The car itself was a death trap, but so was the crash response; he somehow survived the impact into a farmhouse next to the track, the following 25-minute bath in a cockpit filled with gasoline, the extraction by fellow drivers long before track marshals ever appeared, the nuns who happened by and insisted that a naked Stewart put his gasoline-soaked gear back on, and the crap care he received at the track's "medical centre."  

One detail that was left out of that recounting: Stewart was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.

When Stewart organized the drivers to boycott if safety was not made a priority, he was harassed greatly for it, but luckily the drivers joined together and pushed to make it better.

I believe pit lane speed limits were started by Nascar after one of Bill Elliot's crew members was killed in the pits, other race leagues followed suit soon after.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Anybody seen the documentary They Shall Not Grow Old?  It's got a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  Peter Jackson used modern techniques to colorize WW1 footage and go from 13 frames per second to 24 frames per second in order to convey the experiences of soldiers in the war:

This trailer is age restricted, so you'll have to watch it directly on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSf9eRjR-oA

Joe Frickin' Friday

What do you get when you combine a recorder, a pitch-to-MIDI converter, and a MIDI-to-keyboard-command converter?

Killing Me Softly With His Song:

Remember "Essential Craftsman" from the very first post on this thread? He's back. Actually he's never been gone. A man with great respect for the skilled, hard working craftsman. He's also a bit of a poet:

...this delicately brutal ballet of laying down slab on grade...

Judging by the bike’s forward thrust when he whacked the throttle open, that has to be one of those purpose built 600 horsepower Harley motors. ;)

15 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Love it, especially the trailer. Somebody's gonna get hurt before it's all over tho : )

They are the reason we've had safety briefs,......that trailer is awesome tho'

14 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Other end of the spectrum. Been thinking about one of these, this ain't helping.

I'd look at something different for a comparison,.....a stock kia sorrento, rivian, bronco, grand cherokee, "near" stock f250 have made that obstacle.......all those stock vehicles clearing it, makes it less of a difficult challenge for the vehicle.

Much of off road driving, 'specially the rocks, are driver and not vehicle.  I've seen near stock FJ40's and YJ/TJ/CJ's out do Jeeps and Taco's running 44's and high HP,.....all about the driver.

I wish I could find the article from the early 00's when Ivan Stewart got into the rockcrawl challenges,....he said something to the effect of it being the most difficult driving he's ever done.

Some of those video's, they run waaay to much air in them tires, on my old jeep, I'd run 8psi,.....without beadlocks,....if'n I had beadlock, prolly 3-5 psi.

I do miss the rockcrawling weekends,......I don't miss the expense.

Get ya one, hit the rocks, enjoy,.......it is fun.  Only a rockcrawler will bitch about being stuck in a traffic jam for 30 minutes, but spend alllllll daaaay put-putting to get five miles of trail completed.

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

I'd look at something different for a comparison,.....a stock kia sorrento, rivian, bronco, grand cherokee, "near" stock f250 have made that obstacle.......all those stock vehicles clearing it, makes it less of a difficult challenge for the vehicle.

Much of off road driving, 'specially the rocks, are driver and not vehicle.  I've seen near stock FJ40's and YJ/TJ/CJ's out do Jeeps and Taco's running 44's and high HP,.....all about the driver.

Well aware, my first car was a $100. dune buggy, 2nd was a CJ (in 1965), learned how and how not to get stuck by trial and error. The thing most people don't understand about 4 wheeling in the Rockies is, unlike the Southeast, traction isn't that big of a problem, clearance is. A little rock crawling would be fun but am mostly interested in getting to the scenic spot at 12-13k feet. What I like about Merc SUV's and especially Cayennes is they're pretty good off road but really nice on, as in cross country road trips with some spirited mountain driving thrown in. 

A few years ago we took a stock Tahoe (with KO's) over some of Colorado's bigger passes (Imogene, Hancock, Ophir, Tincup), just because. One guy in a lifted TJ at the top of Imogene said, man you've got some cojones bringing that up here : ) Pics never show the tough stuff because you're too occupied but there were plenty of times I had to take bad lines over big rocks to keep from bashing the oil pan. There was one spot everybody wanted out, you know, to get some photos : )

1166.JPG

1123.JPG

1136.JPG

1147.JPG

1151.JPG

1186.JPG

1193.JPG

This is a cool place (Antora Meadows) you have to climb a steep hill to get on top of so it does require some traction and low range. 

753.JPG

811.JPG

One more because a picture is worth, you know.. continental divide is about 200 yards behind me, the road? up here is no cakewalk.

1374.JPG

• Like 4

Skynet is here.

With Honda, Boston Dynamics and Tesla all being part of it.

As well as your information being held by apple, google, twitter and facebook type companies.

Thanks for posting, Pat!  It brought back some great memories. And I was almost going to change the photo... you beat me to it. :rofl:

image.png.c27489a0841c5d59add6fae7532cce6a.png

• Like 2

LBump, that brought back memories.  A lot more than were shown and nearly all not adult supervised.  It was a good time to be a kid pretty much.

• Plus 1 1