IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

Joe Frickin' Friday

I had always heard that small planes need to watch out for wake turbulence from big planes.  Turns out they need to watch out for wake turbulence from helicopters too (full writeup here):

2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I had always heard that small planes need to watch out for wake turbulence from big planes.  Turns out they need to watch out for wake turbulence from helicopters too (full writeup here):

"According to Federal Aviation Administration Advisory Circular No. 90-23G, Aircraft Wake Turbulence, 'pilots should avoid taxiing or flying within a distance of three rotor diameters of a helicopter hovering or in a slow hover taxi, as the downwash can contain high wind speeds."

That plane was a lot further from the copter than three rotor diameters.

roadscholar

This is like Erzberg for bicycles except downhill instead of up. As anyone who's raced anything knows, the closer you get to the front the faster they are and the harder to pass. It's long, I watched the first 17 min so far.

• Like 4

Cessna 120 and Helicopter Rotor wash....Rotor wash is powerful.  When it hits the runway or surface, it's tendency is to exit 90 degrees in both directions of the surface it is over.  If there was a crosswind to the runway, it is very possible for the crosswind to hold rotor wash right on top of the runway for up to 2 minutes before it naturally dissipates.  As far as jet wash, no big deal.  If taking off, wait two minutes then climb at a rate that puts you above the wash.  If landing stay above the landing path of the jet and land beyond the jet's touchdown point.  The towers are required, and almost always do, advise aircraft regardless of size, possible wake turbulence.  It's then up to the pilot to decide what to do.  You can go around, wait 2 minutes to take off, or just pay your .25 and take your chances.  I finished flying with roughly 8000 hours in light aircraft.  I always waited to take off and landing was never an issue.  

There were two wind incidences in 40 years of flying that actually scared me and caused some loss of control.  I was coming back from a small airport in California called Livermore.  I was headed to my airport, Concord Ca.  The winds were about 25-30 Kts.  On the path back is a mountain called Mt. Diablo.  It's 4000.  The two airports were only about 10 miles apart.  It was customary for most, and me, to fly that route at about 2500.  No need to climb, just to let down.  If you ever heard of mountain rotor you already know where I am going.  I was flying along smoothly and without warning, I was upside down and being pushed down.  I rolled the plane up, full throttle to climb - still descending, and to make a long story short, it all turned out ok.  I had virtually no control.  I turned 90 degrees and flew out of it.  It beat the plane so bad, I had my local mechanic pull all the inspection covers and check for structural damage.  All was ok except my shorts.

The second event was departing Lake Tahoe airport back to Concord in a Cessna Turbo 210.  We climbed up to 15000.  It was pretty smooth.  Air speed reading normal.  GPS showing 5.  The headwinds were so strong we had almost no forward speed..  Turned about 60 degrees so as not to have a strong wind lift the wing, descended to 8000 and flew out of it.  It was no big deal but to look at your ground speed and see 5 got my attention.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lkraus said:

"According to Federal Aviation Administration Advisory Circular No. 90-23G, Aircraft Wake Turbulence, 'pilots should avoid taxiing or flying within a distance of three rotor diameters of a helicopter hovering or in a slow hover taxi, as the downwash can contain high wind speeds."

That plane was a lot further from the copter than three rotor diameters.

The copter wasn’t in a hover. 

Here’s Juan’s take on it.  

Joe Frickin' Friday

I thought the layer of rubber on a drag strip was a good thing, but it turns out that a buildup of rubber on a runway is a bad thing.  Bad enough that they make it a point to clean runways from time to time:

• Like 1
RandyShields
On 7/4/2022 at 3:24 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Turns out they need to watch out for wake turbulence from helicopters too

Just wow.  Wouldn't have expected that.

RandyShields
On 7/5/2022 at 10:54 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Bad enough that they make it a point to clean runways from time to time:

Similar concept to a Water Pik for your plaque.

Joe Frickin' Friday

overpowered quad-rotor drones:

For 8 kW per kg, your RT would need about 2100 horsepower:

26 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Pretty good view of things:

A few back. ^  :spittake: I thought this dude was just a crispy hippie from the early seventies (which was the draw) but I guess he’s a stand up comic. 

Joe Frickin' Friday
7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

A few back. ^  :spittake: I thought this dude was just a crispy hippie from the early seventies (which was the draw) but I guess he’s a stand up comic. 

Whoops, my bad.  My brother sent that to me yesterday, and I was thinking "man, I just saw this somewhere", but didn't realize it was from you/here.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Skywagon said:

motor school

We didn't do any rain, (San Diego PD motor school in August), But I have done some...... not like Kiyo.... but thanks for the vote of confidence:5185:

Joe Frickin' Friday

F-16 pilot reports on the extremely close call he had with a hillside.  First couple of minutes discusses the ACM training scenario he was involved in, then he starts narrating HUD footage.  Impact with ridgeline occurs at 3:58, and damage review starts at 4:23.

This one went under the radar so to speak. :/ There are some longer videos with more communication between Russell and ground control if interested. Sad, he seemed like a bright kid with some obvious raw flying talent. Too bad he didn’t find his way before this.

2 hours ago, AnotherLee said:

I appreciate their intent to help out the kid and his family, but I don't think rebuilding this wreck is a very good way to do it.  Nearly every part will need to be replaced, with a high time and dollar cost, and I'm cynical enough to think that it will never again be a solid vehicle.  Get the kid a similar truck, swap a few good parts from Dad's wreck (if you can find any) for a sentimental connection,  put the rest of the funds into an education account. 

Layton has enough other projects started to keep his YT channel going without trying to tug at our heartstrings.

• Like 2

I agree, there is nothing to salvage from that truck, and I don't see a way to rebuild it that makes any sense.

Emotional decisions are rarely sound decisions.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, lkraus said:

I appreciate their intent to help out the kid and his family, but I don't think rebuilding this wreck is a very good way to do it.  Nearly every part will need to be replaced, with a high time and dollar cost, and I'm cynical enough to think that it will never again be a solid vehicle.  Get the kid a similar truck, swap a few good parts from Dad's wreck (if you can find any) for a sentimental connection,  put the rest of the funds into an education account. 

Layton has enough other projects started to keep his YT channel going without trying to tug at our heartstrings.

16 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I agree, there is nothing to salvage from that truck, and I don't see a way to rebuild it that makes any sense.

Emotional decisions are rarely sound decisions.

You all need to venture into the off-roading world.  Vehicles get rebuilt after rolls often enough.   From the video, the driveline is likely solid, so after that, it's all cosmetics.  Had a buddy that rolled his Jeep and the only thing that was "original" to "Spot" (named after a dog command) was the VIN Plate, everything else was Frankensteined from other Jeeps and even had a Cadillac (master cylinder).  Damn thing was rattle can sprayed and won his category at Cherry Point car show one year,....guy was very patient when he built it.  It was painted in Syracuse colors (blue and orange).   TJ frame, TJ tub, CJ front clip, Wagoneer engine, T4 tranny unsure what that came from, d300 t-case.  The grill, well, we found that in the bush of Camp LeJeune on an M151,.....and if you know your history, you know that the M151 was Ford build (ford also built the WWII Jeeps alongside Willys), the M151 grill slats go horizontal, so he had an unusual looking front end.  But, in all that, per the DMV, that was a 1980 CJ7.

I dunno if they're gonna put it back the "way it was" or do some schmancy mod-rebuild, but, pop the body off, drop a body on, viola', done(so long as frame and driveline are good).  Time, money, effort, depends on who you are and how it's done.  Looks like the guy runs a pick a part place and likely has access to all the bits and pieces to put it back together.

In my mind,....it's just a vehicle, nothing more.  Matters not if it were Dad's,......it's still, just a vehicle.

36 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

Love the suit & tie. :thumbsup:

Too bad Beebo couldn’t get his mental health in check, he could of been a future Hoover. :thumbsup:

image.gif.9ede99aa2d093ea1e3db20a02cd9f6ca.gif

my last posted vid

RandyShields
3 hours ago, AnotherLee said:

Now the Fosbury_Flop is preferred.

Great video but, actually, Dick Fosbury won the gold medal with that technique in the 1968 Olympics -- over 50 years ago -- and it changed high jumping forever so, "now" is probably not the right modifier. I can't do either well unfortunately.

Joe Frickin' Friday

H.R. Giger was part of the team that designed the xenomorph in the original 1979 Alien movie.  But I'm pretty sure the gigantic xenomorph queen in the 1986 movie Aliens was at least partly inspired by this, which should likewise be killed with fire:

Reminds of the time we were called for a well-being check on a resident. She hadn’t been seen in two weeks. :classic_ohmy:

Reminds me of the time I went to a customer's home to fix her telephone. No one came to the door, but she hollered through the door for me to come in.  She was sitting in the middle of a double bed, so big and fat that she was starting to droop over the edges. When she moved... no, she couldn't really move.   When she gestured, her whole body kind of rippled in waves. I think they would have had to take down a wall to get her out of that room.

• Plus 1 1
On 7/4/2022 at 6:53 PM, roadscholar said:

This is like Erzberg for bicycles except downhill instead of up. As anyone who's raced anything knows, the closer you get to the front the faster they are and the harder to pass. It's long, I watched the first 17 min so far.

This guy, Kilian BRON, French I think, has a bunch oh downhill races on YT.  He is really good.  Fearless.  Must have a fantastic memory to be able to ride some of these blind detours he takes.  Last to first in several.  

• Like 2