IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

19 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Too much Stoli…:spittake:

To quote Roger Daltrey “we don’t get fooled again”  I think I did. :facepalm: Comments hint that it was a CG clip. :dontknow:

Good one if so. 

Good stuff Larry, thanks. Always wanted to do a hill climb but never did, It’s similar to qualifying on a street course, just you the car and the clock with no room for error. Btw just about any race car w/o real doors has a quick release steering wheel so you can get out quickly if you need to, makes getting in a lot easier too.

On 2/10/2022 at 3:00 PM, AnotherLee said:

Over 35 million views since 4/19:

Lee I borrowed that and posted it on Advrider. There’s a thread called Cats doing what cats do, it’s gotten about 10 likes already today : ). :thumbsup:

• Like 1
16 hours ago, LBump said:

This ones for Bill.  :burnout:

I like the removal of the steering wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxxeRzfJ1_c

Here ya go Larry, not quite like that rocket but drove one of these in Historic racing for about 15 years, ‘67 Porsche 910, 2L w/230hp, 1275 lbs. There were about 30 made, 2 were open cockpit and I believe won the European hillclimb championship against Ferrari (206SP) that year. The hillclimb cars had a flat 8 with 4 cams (285hp) most of the others were six cylinder and much easier to maintain like a 911.

• Like 1
On 2/11/2022 at 10:09 PM, roadscholar said:

Here ya go Larry, not quite like that rocket but drove one of these in Historic racing for about 15 years, ‘67 Porsche 910, 2L w/230hp, 1275 lbs. There were about 30 made, 2 were open cockpit and I believe won the European hillclimb championship against Ferrari (206SP) that year. The hillclimb cars had a flat 8 with 4 cams (285hp) most of the others were six cylinder and much easier to maintain like a 911.

Do like that run and I've seen it before.  Thanks Bill! :thumbsup:

Though the Hill Climb really gets the juice flowing... like back in the 60's racing karts with a dual carbureted chain saw engine running on methyl- alcohol.  :jaw: 

Joe Frickin' Friday

The fatal crash of a flock of birds:

Flocking behavior is weird.  It's been suggested elsewhere that this may have happened because a hawk or falcon was pursuing them, causing the trailing birds in the flock to surge forward and leave the lead birds nowhere to go but down, even though they were already as low as they could go ("TERRAIN - PULL UP!  TERRAIN - PULL UP!").  A bit like a panic stampede at a concert, but with more feathers and beaks.

Joe Frickin' Friday

The next time you go for a ride, try to remember to fasten the chin strap on your helmet:

Also, be sure to check your brakes before heading out:

• Thinking 1

With the Canadian trucker/Trudeau saga to our north and the unrelenting influx from the south this gem can serve as a somber reminder to when mistrust of our own political institutions took root….one of the remarks particularly resonated “I love this song so much, not because it makes me feel good, but because in a world of liars I know it’s true”

• Like 3

This is a little bit long but found this dude’s grit to be good entertainment. Next time I camp I won’t complain about my Therm a Rest pad being too thin. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Triple pulse-jet go kart.  white-hot metal, exposed propane tank, no roll cage, open-face helmet, no eye protection, speeds up to 90 MPH - maybe put this last on your bucket list?  

Turns out pulsejet propulsion is his thing:

https://maddoxjets.com/

• Like 2
On 2/19/2022 at 1:57 PM, TEWKS said:

This is a little bit long but found this dude’s grit to be good entertainment.

He has a whole different definition of fun than I do....

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

He has a whole different definition of fun than I do....

Watched a few more of his videos and he takes his young sons on some of his outings. Some big number views so people like what he’s doing. :thumbsup: He’s got a ton of patience and a calm demeanor which is likable! 

1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Turns out pulsejet propulsion is his thing:

I don't think I would want to be that close to a propane tank and that combustion system.  

• Plus 1 1
8 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I wonder if Home Depot rents these out for drywalling ceilings?

I like those, could have used them 30 years ago, maybe my shoulders wouldn't feel like bubble wrap popping when I lift my arms.

59 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I like those, could have used them 30 years ago, maybe my shoulders wouldn't feel like bubble wrap popping when I lift my arms.

I just use my wife,....."here, hold this up while I screw it in".......then she does all the mudding and stuff.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I just use my wife,....."here, hold this up while I screw it in".......then she does all the mudding and stuff.

Could have used her on the job site!

Joe Frickin' Friday
48 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The exoskeleton woulda made it easier for you to hold her up there.

• Haha 2
47 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Could have used her on the job site!

She’s awesome aint afraid to get durty, lift heavy things snd use power tools

17 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Pretty cute!

Hey, it’s quite possible you could see one of those strapped to the back of my GS come April! Awesome idea! :revit: :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

At Holloman AFB in New Mexico, there's a high-speed test track that's been used over many decades for all sorts of research.  They don't run cars on it, they run a rocket-propelled sled, capable of ludicrous speeds.  Here's what it looks like when it goes by you at 6,600 MPH:

(sorry, no embedding; you'll have to click the link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYIbYVLF4k

Not all of the tests involve such high speeds.  Here's an F-4 phantom being rammed into a concrete wall at a mere 500 MPH (good slo-mo at 1:00):  

I remember reading a long time ago that this was to test the integrity of the containment buildings used at nuclear power plants.  In this test, the airplane disintegrated pretty much completely; the most damaging items were the solid steel spindles of the jet engines, and even those only penetrated a couple of inches into the concrete.  In other words, most of the cloud you see immediately after the impact is probably airplane parts, not concrete dust, proving the containment building could do its job.

Planes and containment buildings aren't the only things that have been tested on rocket sleds.   In the late '40s and early '50s, Col. John Stapp and another intrepid colleague subjected themselves to extremely violent accelerations and decelerations using rocket sled systems at Holloman and Edwards.  The tests involved putting Stapp on the sled, accelerating him up to a target speed with the rocket motors, and then using a water brake to subject him to ridiculous braking events.  They faced him forward for decel tests, and faced him backward for accel tests.  Really insane “unkind to your body” braking:

By June 8, 1951, a total of 74 human runs had been made on the decelerator, 19 with the subjects in the backward position, and 55 in the forward position. Stapp, one of the most frequent volunteers on the runs, sustained a fracture of his right wrist during the runs on two separate occasions, also broke ribs, lost fillings from his teeth and bleeding into his retinas that caused temporary vision loss…

Stapp was subjected to as much as 55 g, and one of his colleagues took 83 g.  Here’s a nice documentary clip:

So the next time you feel like you’re really suffering for your job, spare a thought for those guys.  :classic_blink:

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
17 hours ago, LBump said:

If only the NFL  would Haka... 

Haka has pretty deep roots in New Zealand/Maori culture; its melodramatic theatrics and grotesque faces appeal to outsiders looking for a fun group activity, but I gather it's not quite the same thing to New Zealanders as the Ickey Woods Shuffle or the Macarena.  This funeral haka by the New Zealand Defence Force as they honor a fallen comrade hits pretty hard, all the more so because of the reverent silence immediately afterward:

The All Blacks, New Zealand's national rugby team, have been performing the haka for over a hundred years now.  It's also used by a lot of other New Zealand sports teams, and also by a fair number of non-NZ sports teams who had enough of a connection to NZ or other Pacific islands as to lend credibility.  But if you do a crappy job of it, as apparently the Arizona Wildcats did a few years ago, you can expect to get called out for it:

Dr Christina Campbell - who grew up in Christchurch and moved to California in 1994 to do her PhD at UC Berkeley - said she started the petition to stop Arizona University performing the haka because of "a large discussion" about it on the "Kia Ora USA Kiwis" Facebook page.

"I thought it would be a good way to let the university know that a large number of people were not happy. I have sent a number of emails to both the president of University of Arizona and the director of athletics, but have not heard back from them," she told the Herald earlier today.

"So far the response has been mostly positive - people are thanking me for doing it. Reactions seem to be mixed as to whether people think they should be doing the Ka Mate at all, or whether they just need to learn to do it properly. Ngati Toa chair has suggested the latter, and even suggested they would send people to teach them if the university paid. 

So maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing for an NFL team to adopt the haka - but if they do, hopefully they learn to do it well. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see an NFL team come trot/marching into the stadium in the Stripes style, Boom! ShakkaLakka!

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday

Food delivery bot can't handle train tracks, suffers the consequences:

St Paddy's Day coming up. Here are some lovely Irish people doing something they truly enjoy: