IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

17 hours ago, BrianM said:

28 time world champ (14 outdoor, 14 indoor) makes it look easy.

Meh, I ride like that every night.......

In my dreams!!!

43 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

Meh, I ride like that every night.......

In my dreams!!!

I couldn't climb those in my dreams, even if I used a ladder and appropriate fall protection.  Amazing skills.

The only thing that might be more impressive than that level of riding skill is to take that bike from Boston to San Fran nonstop. :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

A 75 year love story… :)

Kinda sucky ending (figuratively). 
I hope the sequel has a better ending showing them skipping hand in hand out the chapel & climbing into the limo with just married on the back.  

• Like 1

Yeah, unfortunately time waits for no one. :old:

I did find a little longer version and they planned on seeing each other again but the vid ended before finding out if that happened. :dontknow:

They both married after the war but their fond memories of each other flickered on low for a long time.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:28 PM, roadscholar said:

The number of times Ive sat down and tried analyzing the rhythm of this song has been countless. explained here in 22 mins :4317:

this is Math Music

• Like 1

Ari is a talented rider and able to get tires to their traction limit.

Great expo'se on the unwarranted paranoia some have about buying 18 month old tires from an online supplier...:cool:

• Like 1

The key phrase in tire age, performance, and safety, is "properly stored". Did the supplier keep them away from exhaust, fuel, electric motors, any ozone producing devices? Either way, once installed and exposed to light, heat, and stress, the clock is ticking.

The 11 foot 8 (+8) bridge takes out the stacks.  Reckon he thought the trailer/load would clear, but dang sure forgot about the truck.  Oh, yeah!

I like how he just backs the hell up without regard to vehicles behind him.  :ohboy:

1 hour ago, AnotherLee said:

News you can use:

since ive forgotten many of the knots,……theres an app for that

image.png.554c90fea4476d4e13238fbee8ff5544.png

36 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Where does "dead as a doornail" come from?

That was actually quite interesting. I can now pull another Cliff Claven and impress my friends with more obscure facts that will wow them.

As in, they just shake their head at me and mutter sadly, "wow".

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Wonder what that last little bit was that left the plane at 0:51?  Hope it wasn't somebody's car keys....

Today'$ le$$on?  When you're te$ting your car on the dyno, fergod$ake leave the air filter on.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Wonder what that last little bit was that left the plane at 0:51?  Hope it wasn't somebody's car keys

I think it was a diver that clawed his way to the door! :eek: That took way more time to correct than I thought it would.

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

That took way more time to correct than I thought it would.

I don’t always quote myself but when I do…:read:  

Now there’s a bunch of aviation buffs (no not naked) on this site and we’ve had and maybe still have a few pilots flying around. Not to put anyone on the spot but what would be the best way to recover that spinning aircraft in the above video? :dontknow: 

I’d say add full throttle and pull slightly back on the yoke to get the nose pitched towards level flight and putting some air under those wings. Left rudder if the spin was to the right. That’s my oh shit, the pilot has just expired, can anyone fly this thing. :classic_biggrin:

edited slightly 

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

what would be the best way to recover that spinning aircraft in the above video? 

Here’s Juan’s input........

• Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Thanks that was great! I’m glad to see Juan winning the battle with his illness. :thumbsup:

D'ja catch where Juan referred to divers as "meat missiles"? 

We attended the YouTube aviation creators' awards weekend in IL last summer.  Juan was calling the STOL competition.  We met and talked with him and his family (Pete was wondering around elsewhere).  Good guy.

• Like 1

Juanis dead right.  The procedure they are using is very dangerous.  I've done literally hundreds of intentional spins in single engine and fortunately never spun a multi engine.  When you are going through spin training you are taught an acronym to live by.  It is PARE.  When the aircraft spins, Power off, Ailerons neutral ( remember Brad talking about right aileron), Rudder opposited the spin ( as soon as you can figure out which way you are spinning which is harder than you think) Elevator forward to gain enough speed to recover and not stall...then slowing back on the elevator so as not to enter high speed stall.

When you go through multi-engine training, most of your training is spent learning to fly at minimum critical speeds with one or more engines not producing power.  The good engine wants to torque roll you into a spin.  Most multi's are very hard to recover if done inadvertently.  I lost a very good friend who was a 10,000 hour flight instructor.  He was teaching in a twin.  The student was coming in for a landing with one engine (the critical engine feathered)  at nearly the last couple of seconds a fuel truck pulled on the runway and they were destined to hit it.  My friend, the instructor, took the plane tried to pull up, rolled it over and died.  The student lived and was able to describe the event.

I've done a little bit of skydiver work in singles.  Never in multi.  Even in a single you can feel the elevator start to blank out and you need to get the divers out.  For that King Air...they are destined for bad things if they stay with that procedure.  Once again I agree with Juan...bring both engines back to flight idle, prop forward.  Slow to near stall speed in a coordinated fashion ( not heavy right rudder) and get out.  If you actually enter a stall it will be very easily recoverable.  Stalls are actually fun to do and done correctly are not dangerous.

One other thing if Juan or Brad sees my post.  I almost guarantee he wasn't holding right rudder without a heavy amount of trim.  So when he starts to recover overpowering that trim would have required a lot of force.  It's a bad practice.

• Like 1

Thanks Eric...Most pilots will never experience a spin.  Most pilots aren't trained in spin recovery.  If you haven't been trained and one happens chances of recovery aren't very good.  The first training session for on spins was really fun.  Pull the engine to flight idle, wait for the plane to stall, then kick the rudder all the way one way.  Without the training I would not have known what to do.  The airplane was headed pretty much straight down with almost zero airspeed.  The natural tendency would be to pull back on the stick and aileron roll opposite the direction of the spin.  That would be the wrong thing to do.

If you are a pilot on this forum....go get some spin training.  It's actually fun.  IMHO you have to be a crappy pilot beyond belief to unintentionally get into a spin, but if you do and aren't trained instinctively to recover...you will be on the wrong side of the grass pretty fast.  The proverbial dirt nap.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 11/6/2021 at 10:03 PM, Skywagon said:

Most pilots aren't trained in spin recovery.  If you haven't been trained and one happens chances of recovery aren't very good. 

It's kinda sketchy even if you have been trained:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Scholl

Scholl died during the filming of Top Gun when his Pitts S-2 camera plane failed to recover from a spin and plunged into the Pacific Ocean. He had entered the spin intentionally in order to capture it on film using on-board cameras. Observers watched the plane continue to spin as it descended past the planned recovery altitude. Scholl's last words over the radio were "I have a problem‚ I have a real problem,” after which the plane impacted the ocean about five miles off the coast, near Carlsbad, California. The exact cause of the crash was never determined.  Neither the aircraft nor Scholl's body were ever recovered.