IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

On 11/5/2021 at 4:30 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Wonder what that last little bit was that left the plane at 0:51?  Hope it wasn't somebody's car keys....

They said that last guy was in the head when all this started.  Might not be his "car keys".

21 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

How do we know Keith Richards hasn't already been replaced by a robot???

Wouldn't make a difference since the most recent peer review labels the Stones as a mediocre pub band. :)

53 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Wouldn't make a difference since the most recent peer review labels the Stones as a mediocre pub band. :)

..with staying power, nearly 60 years worth  : )

• Like 2

Calling 9Mary7.....have a couple of questions.  I noticed his windshield was almost all the way up.  Is that procedure or just coincidental?  Do they make a bullet proof shield for bikes?  When he was in pursuit he was transmitting.  What was he doing to transmit as hands never left the bars?  Pretty long shot for a pistol.....glad it ended the way it did.  You shoot at a cop...you deserved a full magazine.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, roadscholar said:

One dude called them a mediocre pub band, Roger Daltry of The Who, seems British rockers are getting a bit snippy in their old age : )

I wouldn't say mediocre, they are one hell of a rocking pub band!

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
On 11/16/2021 at 6:11 AM, Lowndes said:

Spookier than Halloween:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w4OTD4L0GQ

(forgive me, but....).      I've yet to understand how astro-physicists (as well as other-world alien theorists) can use an unproven theory as a base, upon which they pile other unproven theories to form an "understanding" of the universe and activity therein.  To my Neanderthal brain, I hear: "blah, blah, blah-blah-blah" while my head spins.  And my immediate need is to fix a turkey sandwich for lunch!   :90:

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I'm confused. I'm assuming the video Skywagon references got pulled?

I’m thinking he was referring to this one a few pages back. 

18 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Calling 9Mary7.....have a couple of questions.  I noticed his windshield was almost all the way up.  Is that procedure or just coincidental?  Do they make a bullet proof shield for bikes?  When he was in pursuit he was transmitting.  What was he doing to transmit as hands never left the bars?  Pretty long shot for a pistol.....glad it ended the way it did.  You shoot at a cop...you deserved a full magazine.

Not a motor officer (but I did watch CHiPs when I was younger :yes:) but I did see the cop hitting a button with his left thumb to transmit, below the grip and all the other "stuff" on that cluster.  Guess it is tied in to the Motorola hand mic.

MY question would be about the engine running while on its side.  Will it cause any harm to it?

We shall see what details  @9Mary7  will provide for us.   :5146:

My supposition is that the tip over kill feature is disabled so that the officer can remount and ride off in a hurry without having to turn the ignition off and reset. In a dire situation, a damaged motor is a small price to pay.

Think about that the next time a used patrol bike comes up for sale 

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I’m thinking he was referring to this one a few pages back. 

That makes sense, forgot about that one, it's been a while.

On 11/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, Skywagon said:

Calling 9Mary7

Good eye wbw6cos, the PTT button is below the left hand grip. The windshield position is incidental, they are not bulletproof.(Great idea though, imagine how heavy the brackets would be to support a bulletproof W/S). As to running while at its "natural position of rest":rofl:, our RT-P's still had the fuel shut off but unless the bike goes completely horizontal, it didn't shut off the fuel. A drop onto the crash bars wouldn't kill the motor. Internal damage would depend on duration of oil starvation.

The pistol shooting was excellent.... one of the reasons I posted the vid....... glad the Idiot didn't get the rifle out of its mount. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just watched the whole thing, probably the longest YouTube video I’ve ever seen and worth every second. Epic adventure, now they need to tackle South America on CT125’s (I’m assuming the 90 was DOA). Five years ago I had an equipment failure and turned around at the Yukon River despite perfect weather so really feel like a wussy now…

A just for fun idea to fix that ^  issue. ;)

You pave or pour the entire airport with runway quality material. Add in countersunk computer operated LED lighting throughout that could change depending on wind direction. Presto, no more crosswind landings / takeoffs. :yes: 

Now, never-mind the terminal locations or any tall buildings and looming mountains that may be in the way. The aircraft’s navigation system  may have fits also. :dontknow:

Obviously, a thousand and one reasons why this wouldn’t work but a fun thought. 

My brother used to fly various Airbuses probably including that one on the overseas routes, he said they were almost completely computer controlled. I wonder if the computer landed it or pilot turned it off and did it himself.

Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

My brother used to fly various Airbuses probably including that one on the overseas routes, he said they were almost completely computer controlled. I wonder if the computer landed it or pilot turned it off and did it himself.

Maybe depends on the pilot's mood?  Here's an A380 being landed by the pilot:

Pretty mellow when the wind's not blowing.  Here's a couple of Boeing planes being landed by the pilots in slightly more demanding conditions:

Awfully mushy control when you're flying that slow.  :eek:

4 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Maybe depends on the pilot's mood?  Here's an A380 being landed by the pilot:

That first one was a heck of a feat, human or otherwise. Regardless, you gotta be a cowboy to fly one of those things.  

I hadn’t seen this clip before.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

This is unbelievable. :eek:

I saw this live on TV and thought I had just seen a fatality, I was sad and in shock. No way he could be alive after that. When he crawled out, after what seemed forever, I couldn't believe it, I was ecstatic. I instantly thought, "I was not a fan of the new Halo guard around the driver, but now am the biggest fan ever."  Had that Halo not been there, no way he lives.

Really one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had, not just watching sporting and racing events, but in life in general.

• Like 3
On 11/20/2021 at 1:48 PM, Groanup said:

So you say you're an adventure rider...

If you enjoyed this one Ari rebuild of the CT 90 might be of interest. I assumed they probably left it up there but they did far better than that. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, mickeym3 said:

If you enjoyed this one Ari rebuild of the CT 90 might be of interest. I assumed they probably left it up there but they did far better than that. 

Saw that today!

Really satisfying after seeing what that poor thing was put through...

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Everybody's heard of those guys, but ask about this lady and you may just get blank stares.

Some of the true origins of Rock.........and some of the very limited gospel that I'll tolerate.  Watch the entire series, a true breakthrough.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Everybody's heard of those guys, but ask about this lady and you may just get blank stares.

I think that for just about every artist or musician that has reached the top , there are countless amounts of people just as gifted , that have never received the recognition and accolades

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

Somewhat interesting content, but posted to show how much the reservoirs, Lake Powell in this instance, have receded.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

I expect these pilots will be receiving a stern talking-to from their CO for violating the 1000-foot limit (by about 1000 feet):

They most likely had a special clearance to fly through the stadium.  It can be granted by the FAA.  Here is the actual FAR.  See paragraph 1A.  Any airman knows you can't do that without losing your ticket in suspension or perhaps permanently.  I doubt they took the risk.  I bet they had been cleared to do so.

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface -

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA;

Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

They most likely had a special clearance to fly through the stadium. 

Then this investigation shouldn't take too long...

The US military and the Federal Aviation Administration are reviewing a flyover of an NFL game last month to determine if the military helicopters flew too low over civilians in violation of aviation regulations.

A military inquiry is underway by the 101st Airborne Division to determine if members of its combat aviation brigade violated any FAA rules when they flew very low over Nashville's Nissan Stadium during a game between the Tennessee Titans and the New Orleans Saints.
"The 101st Airborne Division is conducting a commander's inquiry into the flyover that occurred on November 14," according to Lt. Col. Kari McEwen, a spokeswoman for the elite division.
The FAA also confirmed it's investigating but would not comment further. "The FAA is investigating this incident. We do not comment on pending investigations," a spokesperson told CNN.

Mitch… shouldn’t take the FAA more than a few minutes. Special request are numbered and logged.  Easy to backtrack. I’m not sure but I don’t think ATC could have granted the request verbally. I think, but not sure they would have had to file a request with a FSDO. If I’m right then the pilot will have a signed and numbers special use permit that would have been required to be on board the craft. I’ve done a couple of special use flights myself. I'll see if I can find an old one and post

Sounds like if being investigated they made a grave career mistake. FAA is not forgiving 

5 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I expect these pilots will be receiving a stern talking-to from their CO for violating the 1000-foot limit (by about 1000 feet):

Meh, where's the danger?, it's not like they had a CH-53 flying with them that are known for falling out of the sky.....blackhawks, a chinook and apaches,....all extremely stable birds.

Anyway, " Helicopters, according to the FAA, may operate at less than those minimums provided that crews comply with any routing or altitudes ordered by FAA."