IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

9 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

The future of grocery shopping?

Totally eliminates the "impulse buys" and the "see it on the shelf, I forgot it on the list buys",......:(,......I kinda like spontaneous purchases from time to time......I hope this doesn't become the norm.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
21 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Totally eliminates the "impulse buys" and the "see it on the shelf, I forgot it on the list buys",......:(,......I kinda like spontaneous purchases from time to time......I hope this doesn't become the norm.

Grocery shopping is pretty routine for me and my wife, so we've (mostly) been happy with having our groceries delivered over the past year.  Even had some substantial mistakes in our favor.  :cool:  That said, I do miss casual browsing at places like Home Depot or the hardware store.

This Australian motorcycle safety PSA is pretty old now, but it was quite jarring when it first came out:

A later European copycat (not quite as good):

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

Found this pretty interesting.. I remember coming home that evening and figuring out about what time it was in Iraq and thinking tonight could be the night. Sure enough 10 minutes into Peter Jennings 6:30EST broadcast they broke in to announce the air invasion had started.

• Thanks 1
On 7/29/2021 at 11:59 PM, roadscholar said:

Found this pretty interesting.. I remember coming home that evening and figuring out about what time it was in Iraq and thinking tonight could be the night. Sure enough 10 minutes into Peter Jennings 6:30EST broadcast they broke in to announce the air invasion had started.

I had a front row view for that party.

• Like 1
roadscholar
42 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I had a front row view for that party.

Impressive and amazing for sure.The numbers involved are hard to grasp.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Impressive and amazing for sure.The numbers involved are hard to grasp.

When we were getting closer to the ground war starting, the thing that calmed me down was the thought of there are 6000+/- vehicles going north, what's the chance that the amtrac that I'm riding in will get hit,......not very high is what I SWAG'd.  Although, at the second breach lane, mortar fire was hitting close enough that shrapnel was spraying the vehicle

roadscholar
6 hours ago, Rougarou said:

When we were getting closer to the ground war starting, the thing that calmed me down was the thought of there are 6000+/- vehicles going north, what's the chance that the amtrac that I'm riding in will get hit,......not very high is what I SWAG'd.  Although, at the second breach lane, mortar fire was hitting close enough that shrapnel was spraying the vehicle

Scary stuff, you guys were definitely badass Roug.

I was listening to a story on NPR last week about different cultures and their mannerisms. It mentioned the meeting prior to the conflict between James Baker (Secretary of State) and his Iraqi counterpart Tariq Aziz. Because of Baker's calm demeanor Aziz figured he was bluffing so didn't adhere to the deadline, a costly assumption. 

One of TR’s signature lines “Speak softly and carry a big stick”. Apparently Baker adhered to that adage. None of that “red line” BS. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Scary stuff, you guys were definitely badass Roug.

I was listening to a story on NPR last week about different cultures and their mannerisms. It mentioned the meeting prior to the conflict between James Baker (Secretary of State) and his Iraqi counterpart Tariq Aziz. Because of Baker's calm demeanor Aziz figured he was bluffing so didn't adhere to the deadline, a costly assumption. 

You got a bunch of Marines, riding in the back of an amtrac, expecting to get shot at in mass, what were we doing,.........playing Uno,....."draw four-red MF'r!!!"

At the second breach lane, our CO did not wait for the engineers to proof the lane (ensure mines were cleared) after the line charge was blown (designed to clear minefields), so he ordered the driver to move through the minefield.  Two small mines later and the track was blown off the trac, which in turn, forced all remaining members of the company to dismount the trac's and walk through the minefield.  So, that was an experience.  1stSgt later stated that he was bending down to pick something up inside the trac when they hit the mines, threw him up and hit the ceiling of the vehicle hard.  By the time we had to walk through the mine field, the engineers had a small footpath to travel on.  Don't trip, don't fall, to the left and right of the foot path were active anti personnel mines and anti tank mines just waiting for some lucky winner.

The picture below was drawn by the guy with the glasses, my squad leader Bailey.  In the background, you can see our CO's blown trac.  Burkholder is the guy in the foreground, and If I were taking a picture, this would have been the view that you would have seen from my camera as I was next in line.  What you see Burkholder with is an AT-4 (the one with the octagon tip), a LAAW(the smaller tube), Both of those weapons are anti-tank/bunker busters.  The wrap around his arm is chemical detection tape.  He's likely got about 400+ rounds of 5.56, at least four grenades.  I had 800ish 5.56 rounds (12 magazines, 3 bandoleers), two LAAWs, one AT-4, four hand grenades and 20 40mm grenades (illum, he) for the M203,.....heavy, heavy stuff.  Ya, we were prepared for a fight.

IMG_1802.thumb.jpg.2209579b8a30224e81b8a83081fbfa4b.jpgIMG_1803.thumb.jpg.c9895613ed70463129de3eb1b5305413.jpg

• Like 2
roadscholar

Like I said totally badass, I was hoping you’d go into some detail. It’s hard for us regular folks to comprehend, it ain’t a movie. Thank you sir.

• Like 1

Mostly uneventful,.....six months of foreplay, a quick orgasm, then 45 days of rolling over and waiting (for a flight out).

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Shook hands with one of the most respected guys on the fire department this morning. 32 years to the town and now it’s his time. I feel fortunate to have worked with him for the last few years. :thumbsup: It’s about 4 minutes. 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Shook hands with one of the most respected guys on the fire department this morning. 32 years to the town and now it’s his time. I feel fortunate to have worked with him for the last few years. :thumbsup: It’s about 4 minutes. 

Who’s going to fill their shoes?

Heck Pat, that was messed up!  WTF would you need to go down something like that! 

So, from a Search and Rescue operation how would you approach such a situation if someone were to get stuck?? 

Would you go that hole? 

• Like 1

I guess people find thrills in all sorts of ways. :dontknow: No, not me, they’d have two victims in very short order if I was sent down that hole. :grin: 

We, as do most first response agencies have access to local confined space rescue teams that would take charge in a situation like that. Most fire department personnel are trained up to a certain level in confined space rescue, but it’s not covered enough to be considered experts. Some will go on to train more and become a regional team member like mentioned above.

Wayback while in the fire academy they tried like heck to weed out claustrophobic recruits. I faked my way through. :grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday
11 hours ago, Skywagon said:

John....I may not sleep tonight.  That gives me the willies big time.

If it's any consolation, she was strapped to some scaffolding behind her:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I guess people find thrills in all sorts of ways. :dontknow: No, not me, they’d have two victims in very short order if I was sent down that hole. :grin: 

We, as do most first response agencies have access to local confined space rescue teams that would take charge in a situation like that. Most fire department personnel are trained up to a certain level in confined space rescue, but it’s not covered enough to be considered experts. Some will go on to train more and become a regional team member like mentioned above.

Wayback while in the fire academy they tried like heck to weed out claustrophobic recruits. I faked my way through. :grin:

Waaaay back in '97, we were doing some urban assault training at the MOUT (military operations in urban terrain) facility in Camp LeJeune.  Lucky me, I got to go through one of the drain pipes to cross the street.  I dunno what size the pipe was, but I couldn't wear my gear and had to push that ahead of me.  The pipe was a squeeze as my shoulders were mushed together.  'twas only crossing a street in the thing, but, ya gotta fight that "I'm stuck in here" feeling the whole way.

Locally, I know a guy that's into caving, said one of the caves he was in he had to exhale all his air to squeeze through,,........I don't think that I'd be interested in doing such a task.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

The pipe was a squeeze as my shoulders were mushed together.  'twas only crossing a street in the thing, but, ya gotta fight that "I'm stuck in here" feeling the whole way.

Know that feeling well. :eek:

In some of our initial confined space training we had two lengths of plastic drainage pipe strung together (about twenty feet) leading into a makeshift blacked-out room. (or cave ;)) We had to crawl through (tight) while geared up on air with a rescue harness. The job was to get in there hook the victim and pull them out crawling backwards through the same pipe. Of course I got the biggest guy to pull out. :facepalm:

Anyway…about halfway out, that (I’m stuck) panic came over me and I couldn’t shake it. I had to tap out. :classic_blush: I got out settled down and went right back in and was successful the second time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Know that feeling well. :eek:

In some of our initial confined space training we had two lengths of plastic drainage pipe strung together (about twenty feet) leading into a makeshift blacked-out room. (or cave ;)) We had to crawl through (tight) while geared up on air with a rescue harness. The job was to get in there hook the victim and pull them out crawling backwards through the same pipe. Of course I got the biggest guy to pull out. :facepalm:

Anyway…about halfway out, that (I’m stuck) panic came over me and I couldn’t shake it. I had to tap out. :classic_blush: I got out settled down and went right back in and was successful the second time.

Look up the video from the battleship New Jersey where the museum curator crawls through one of the 16on gun barrels.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Look up the video from the battleship New Jersey where the museum curator crawls through one of the 16on gun barrels.

I found the one where a guy goes through the turret, but not the barrel

1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Ya,.....just like that drain pipe that I had to go through,....not exactly what I'd call a wanted experience

Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Locally, I know a guy that's into caving, said one of the caves he was in he had to exhale all his air to squeeze through,,........I don't think that I'd be interested in doing such a task.

Did he have to take off his tanks?

1 minute ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

He wasn't cave diving, spelunking is a better description of his hobby.

1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Umm, No! :eek: That’s next level crazy! Actually, third tier crazy! :grin: 

25 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Umm, No! :eek: That’s next level crazy! Actually, third tier crazy! :grin: 

If you haven't seen it, Sanctum will have you holding your breath at the end.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

So will this:

Ya, that would suck.

While we were stationed in Okinawa, the wife got re-certed for SCUBA.

When I returned from Iraq, she asked if I would get certified.  I told her to just rent me the gear and tell me what to do.  She's like no, you need to get cert'd, I's like, "what, the PADI police gonna be checking certs?"  So I did the course and my dive log shows only five dives, nothing after that and we did plenty (she'd log me in her book).  

Anyway, I'm an air hog.  After we go on a few dives with groups, we decided it was time to go on our own.  I would always wait for her to signal when she was ready to come up.

So this one time, we come up, she asks me how much air I have,.....'bout 100 I say.  She gets all mad and stuff, 'cause I think the "spec" is 300 is what you should surface with.  I replied to her, I'm not worried, you got plenty of air........she'd surface with 'bout 500psi left in her tank.

Impressive, obviously knows what he's doing and the track. Interesting he took wide lines steering clear of most of the apex's, evidently better traction out there. 

Here's a car for comparison although it's not as wet and not nearly the penalty if you screw up. Also, racing rain tires are much better than most people can imagine if they haven't used them.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
17 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Anyway, I'm an air hog.  After we go on a few dives with groups, we decided it was time to go on our own.  I would always wait for her to signal when she was ready to come up.

So this one time, we come up, she asks me how much air I have,.....'bout 100 I say.  She gets all mad and stuff, 'cause I think the "spec" is 300 is what you should surface with.  I replied to her, I'm not worried, you got plenty of air........she'd surface with 'bout 500psi left in her tank.

Been a long time since I dove, but I seem to recall that you were supposed to surface with 500 psi left.  I once dove with a guy who was kinda reckless.  On one dive he surfaced with NOTHING left in his tank.  Couldn't even inflate his BCD to stay on the surface; he had to release his weight belt to keep from drowning.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

Have nephew who's gotten bent 2x = 2 sessions in a barometric chamber.  Last one resulted in necrosis of shoulder joint.   1st time his fault.  2nd time, he surfaced on schedule.  Still diving.

1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Been a long time since I dove, but I seem to recall that you were supposed to surface with 500 psi left.  I once dove with a guy who was kinda reckless.  On one dive he surfaced with NOTHING left in his tank.  Couldn't even inflate his BCD to stay on the surface; he had to release his weight belt to keep from drowning.

40 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Have nephew who's gotten bent 2x = 2 sessions in a barometric chamber.  Last one resulted in necrosis of shoulder joint.   1st time his fault.  2nd time, he surfaced on schedule.  Still diving.

Story floated around Okinawa of a civilian diver that was on a first name basis with the "chamber maids".  Seems he'd go diving, when his tank would get close to empty, surface, do a quick tank change, than go back down, three-four-five consecutive dives.

When he was done for the day, he'd go to the chamber just in case......and at times spend time in the chamber.

I can't corroborate the story, but it did come from a person I know to have integrity.

Sully, in his own words. My brother was a captain with USair and said Sully gave many of the classes required for updating and maintaining certification, he was well respected before the incident.

• Like 3