IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

One more Nurburgring video. For those unfamiliar it's probably the most demanding road racing circuit in the world for cars (and bikes), one lap is 13 miles, has 73 turns and an elevation change of 1000 feet. There used to be F1 races on it until Niki Lauda's terrible crash in 1976 when a suspension piece broke on his Ferrari, if not for fellow drivers he wouldn't have made it out alive because it took emergency vehicles too long to reach the crash site.

It's one thing to take a flyer when there's little or no traffic but another altogether in a race among equal competitors, the closer you get to the front the harder they are to pass, there's a reason those guys are up there..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope to one day take a ride in the “Nurburgring Taxi” M5, what an amazing track. In the “Cars” thread I posted about my M School experience at COTA and can hardly imagine what the Ring must feel like. 

The Sully clip calls ro mind one of Churchill’s famous quotes….To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents.

Joe Frickin' Friday
9 hours ago, roadscholar said:

One more Nurburgring video.

Good gawd, the audio alone was intense.

Once we are able to travel again, here's a guy who sets up rides on Nurburgring for bikers.      http://www.aeaventures.com       He and his wife run and Bed and Breakfast in the Ardennes within striking distance of the "ring", some great riding, and a number of WWII historical sites.   Nice folks (they are transplanted Brits) who have a faithful following of bikers from around the world.   

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

high-performance glider wings are so sensitive to fouling with debris that you can actually buy devices to scrape impacted bugs off of them in mid-flight:

Joe Frickin' Friday

Farmer Derek discovers new grain silo has epic reverb, invites local college choir to perform in it (and for some reason insists on leading off with a brief trombone solo):

• Like 4

Can’t hear that song without relishing the entire movie (O Brother, Where Art Thou?). Stumbled onto this one on Jackie Gleason, well worth watching. Not only great, but genuine as well. 

• Like 1

The Great One.   Thanks for posting.

Morley:  "Did you ever believe it?"

Jackie:  *smiling* "You just saw me play pool, didn't you?"

Classic!

• 2 weeks later...

We have a message machine to screen unwanted calls.  My dog howls when the machine announces the caller and he really cranks up if there is a message.  It's cute but a PITA when you pick up and he's still doin wooooooooooooooooooooooooo wooooooooooooooooooooo at full thottle.  The callers find it interesting.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Turns out you really are never too old to rock.  This is the Young@Heart Chorus, and their lead singer here is 89:

If you've never heard the original, give it a go.  Here's a retired aerospace engineer.  His singing sucks, but he's having fun with it.

1:50 mark... these youtubers had captured Gabby Petito's van while out doing their thing and notified the police when they realized what they had on their video, this is near where the body was found.  The rest of the video isn't relevant to the case.

Who didn’t know she was dead when he drove home without her? Um..nobody. :dontknow: I don’t know why the cops didn’t at least keep a tight watch on Laundrie in Florida.  

• Plus 1 2
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I don’t know why the cops didn’t at least keep a tight watch on Laundrie

Makes no sense to me...... could be a manpower issue at that small department. We had a similar case and surveilled the husband for weeks until the case came together. Homicide investigation 101.......

• Like 1

Yep seems like a common sense thing to do but…:dontknow: He’s going to be found fairly quickly I’m sure, dead (self inflicted) or alive is the only unknown at this point.

Tragic ending; guess going on a cross-country trip in a tiny camper van is one way to make sure you really want to get married. Another example of social media (ref: her youtube following) making your life look marvelous only to discover something very dark lurking just below the surface.

5 hours ago, mickeym3 said:

Tragic ending; guess going on a cross-country trip in a tiny camper van is one way to make sure you really want to get married. Another example of social media (ref: her youtube following) making your life look marvelous only to discover something very dark lurking just below the surface.

Yeah, a horrible outcome for both families.  

Joe Frickin' Friday

Here's Tom Scott doing a ride-along at Nurburgring, explaining the history, facts, and policies of the track along the way.  

Joe Frickin' Friday

If you watched the Boardwalk Empire series, you may remember a character named Richard Harrow.  He was a World War I vet who wore a mask to cover a terribly facial injury he suffered in the war:

image.png.624f8b1703cdd797d11658c8ea123525.png

Trench warfare made facial injuries like that pretty common, and we were getting good at treating infection, so a lot of very badly disfigured folks survived.  It turns out that making masks like this was a real thing:

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Time of useful consciousness, about 10 seconds (not quite enough).  Put your own mask on first, if you can.  

I saw on the local news today about a carjacking with a bow and arrow.    Yeah, you read that right. 

That got me wondering whether or not that would actually work, so I searched the world wide web and, sort of, found my answer.  I cannot tell what type of bow was used in the carjacking, but the media reports that he shot an arrow at the windshield so the lady got out.   A while later, the suspect crashed her vehicle in a different part of town and the responding officer thought it was 'just a traffic crash," but the suspect loaded up the bow and and aimed it at the LEO.  The cop returned fire, injuring the perp.  Currently he is in the hospital, condition has not made public yet.

Let's try that first bow through a side window.  I believe the failure to penetrate was more a function of the angled window surface rather than power of the projectile.  So, sleek passenger car windshields would be more resistant that a more verticle PU truck or RV windshield.

I am not an expert, but another news video showed a better close-up of the bow used in the car jacking and it is a compund bow,   Yeah, the driver side window would be an easier barrier to penetrate than the windshield.  

On 9/29/2021 at 9:42 PM, ESokoloff said:

This one’s for Pat (TWEKS)  

Just saw this. Here’s mine today! ;)

4B58C63A-CC84-471C-B759-8DFB400CF653.jpeg

Urban legend my arse. Cow Tipping actually happens, but you need to be a pirate (not pilot) flying a Tigermoth. :classic_biggrin: