IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

Yeah, good luck with them going away when he is no longer around to do that.   

Joe Frickin' Friday
6 minutes ago, TSConver said:

God they are fat.  

No surprise there; they appear to be on the Babe Ruth diet.  

Joe Frickin' Friday

First-person video on radio-controlled aircraft is pretty much the norm these days.  But this guy took it one step further:

• Like 1

Cannonball Run pulls into Arkadelphia, AR. Pedal faster! 100 y/o bikes. Transmission failure? Maybe.

• Like 4
Joe Frickin' Friday

Interesting close call while driving on Friday.  Michigan has a lot of 5-lane roads – 2 lanes each direction, plus a shared lane in the center just for left turns.  In other words, nobody’s supposed to be driving significant distances in that center lane.  So on Friday I was cruising in the left lane (45 MPH limit, so maybe near 50 MPH), then I look over my right shoulder and get into the right lane to get ready for my right turn up ahead.  I barely get in the right lane when someone in the left lane comes roaring by at very high speed.  Confused the heck out of me, because the last time I checked my rear-view, there was a car maybe 50’ back going at my speed.  There was no way he could have accelerated to warp speed in that short a distance. 

So I pulled the cards from my dash cams and checked the video:

First 20 seconds is front cam, so you see just what I saw at the time it happened.  The rest of it is the rear cam, which shows you where the speed freak came from: roaring up the center line for a good 1/4-mile before pulling into my lane, just before reaching the crosswalk island in the center lane.  As fast as he was going, I’m not sure he’d have found somewhere to go if I hadn’t moved into the right lane before he got to where I was.  No idea what he was doing, fleeing a cop or fleeing a road rage incident or just going balls out for an adrenaline rush. 

The video processing to make the clip I uploaded (or possibly YouTube’s additional post-processing) mangled the quality a bit, but even the original footage isn’t clear enough to get a really readable plate number (here’s a screenshot of the raw clip):

plate.jpg.a5db02a65c2e372940f18ae204bea183.jpg

Maybe I need better dash cams...

If you look closely you can see they spilled their Venti double cupped, double foam, decaf, with a vanilla twist and protein shot all over their Lululemon clothes.  I wonder how a Tesla on auto drive would handle that curve.  Good video.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
9 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I wonder how a Tesla on auto drive would handle that curve.

The white car at 1:28 is a Tesla Model S, but of course no way to know whether it was on autopilot.

tms.thumb.png.a38515e41815507971f85e0c13b13882.png

Transportation Department will do something about this, other than signage, after some pour soul gets killed in the crosswalk. Idiots.

It is funny how a few of them negotiate the curve (barely) then end up running the light, which works out for some and not so much for others.  Sup wit dat?

Joe Frickin' Friday
5 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

It is funny how a few of them negotiate the curve (barely) then end up running the light, which works out for some and not so much for others.  Sup wit dat?

My guess is that after they bounce off of the wall a few times, they're too discombobulated to get their foot on the brake in a timely fashion.

On 8/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, mickeym3 said:

This will put a lump in your throat…

Watching that reminded me of this video.....

"I don't see no lettuce!" Great line by the backup singers!!

I thought all the Real Genius commercials were great. Just pure humor to sell product, and it actually made me remember the product.

That, and the "Bring out your best" campaign.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, AnotherLee said:

Beautiful day, beautiful scenery, light traffic -

Hi Lee and thanks for bringing this video to my attention.  Made me so glad we live right here in Florence and that habit and chips in the video made me really hungry, yummmm..

Susie and I are doing great and in good health.  I been on the Oregon Coast now for 30 years and there is nowhere else I would rather be.  Way WAY too hot inland:whistle:

Never took that road from Waldport to Philomath going to give it a try. 

I can relate, they scare the hell out of me every time. I think I'm ready, then 20,000+ instant horsepower hits the world and it is overpowering.

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 8/9/2022 at 9:54 AM, Hosstage said:

I can relate, they scare the hell out of me every time. I think I'm ready, then 20,000+ instant horsepower hits the world and it is overpowering.

I gather they shake things up a bit:

Also found this funny-car cockpit view of the driver.  Link is cued to 9:25, launch is at 9:34.  Nothing goes wrong, but it's still just four seconds of violence.  One thing I noticed was that the engine RPM doesn't change much over the course of the run.  Usually you hear audio from trackside, and the doppler effect due to their speed is so large that it sounds like their RPM really goes up (if you're listening at the finish line) or down (if you're listening at the tree).

If you've not experienced it in person, it can't be fully understood how violent it is. It seems overstated or exaggerated when someone says that, but it really is true.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

If you've not experienced it in person, it can't be fully understood how violent it is. It seems overstated or exaggerated when someone says that, but it really is true.

It's so violent, that Jim Campbell had to adjust his junk after the run 9:47

• Haha 1

All that horsepower and JC Whitney control surfaces. :classic_biggrin: Everything seemed sloppy to me but I’m sure in reality, it’s precision built.

8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

That one is gonna leave a mark! :classic_ohmy:

I believe I've seen comments on this rock side; it's on one of the BDR routes. Don't recall which one. Maybe Idaho...

Hope he and his buddy (went down after him) are all right without too many injuries. The bike is probably still at the bottom. 

A bit of common sense (like remove the pannier) and this probably wouldn't have happened.  

But then, none of us would have been entertained or enlightened! :4607:  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, LBump said:

A bit of common sense (like remove the [censored]ing pannier) and this probably wouldn't have happened

Yes exactly! And…

image.gif.495eece404d702d035c40a671f5b9297.gif

Hope no one got too messed up! :4316:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LBump said:

I believe I've seen comments on this rock side; it's on one of the BDR routes. Don't recall which one. Maybe Idaho...

Asking, 'cause I really don't know, but the plate on that bike isn't U. S.,.......is that allowed?,.....I really don't know

Edit:

Never mind, It's gotta be allowed now that I recall Canada and Mexico plates driving the U. S.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I posted last year about the Fat Bear Week contest in Katmai National Park.  Turns out there's a live-streaming camera at Brooks falls, where many of these bears come to fish for salmon during the summer.  It includes a 12-hour buffer, so if there's nothing happening at any given moment, you can go back and see what you missed.  It streams 24/7, and includes IR lighting at night which is just enough to make out whether any bears are there.  The bears seem to give up a couple of hours after sunset, but the industrious ones are back at it maybe a half-hour before sunrise.  Someone is monitoring the feed, and when something interesting happens (like a fight, or a catch) they will pan to/zoom in on the action.

On 8/13/2022 at 2:09 PM, 9Mary7 said:

Ryan gives up more high performance tips.....

I tried this out yesterday & didn’t like the feel as I cover my brake with two fingers.