IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

Joe Frickin' Friday

If you've never heard of a "barber chair", well, it's one of the reasons that logging is among the most dangerous professions out there.  It happens when a tree trunk splits along its grain instead of separating cleanly from the stump at the cut.  This tree takes the phenomenon to a whole new level (video cued to 1:00):

John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

If you've never heard of a "barber chair", well, it's one of the reasons that logging is among the most dangerous professions out there.  It happens when a tree trunk splits along its grain instead of separating cleanly from the stump at the cut.  This tree takes the phenomenon to a whole new level (video cued to 1:00):

Lots o' rot!

In the pacific NW, it's common practice in forest units that are individually tree marked as to what to cut or not, orange paint is the DO NOT CUT symbol.  Just sayin.,

With my six full days of tree cutting experience, I’d of expected that to happen right off the bat with that one. ;) :grin: He was lucky.

• Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
7 hours ago, LBump said:

For Whip!  Yea Baby

Never heard of Hasil Adkins before, so I looked up his Wikipedia page and read this:

His songs, which he began recording and distributing locally in the mid-1950s, explored an affinity for chicken, sexual intercourse, and decapitation, and were obscure outside of West Virginia until the 1980s.

:classic_ohmy:

That's, uh, an eclectic array of subject matter for songs.  

Pat...60 seconds with the gear nice and neatly placed.  Out of curiosity, and ignorance on my part, is the gear in the firehouse laid out like in the video, or is it stored another way?

• Like 1

Our gear is stored on the engine (fire truck) for the most part. We have more medical calls than fire calls so you’d be loading the gear on the engine every time you got a call. (the engines go on most medicals because in the outlying districts we are closer than the incoming ambulance) (everyone is EMT trained) Anyway, on the engine there are hooks for your helmet and jacket. Your bunker pants are on the floor ready to be stepped into. Your air pack is in the seat back so, you just pull the straps around your shoulders and unclip the pack from the seat.

That’s how most of us do it anyway, I’m sure busy city departments (that don’t run an ambulance) might do it a little differently. They may gear up on every single call so outside the vehicle is probably easier.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac288ffc0504befd854ca995bf755d42.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No video, but kind of funny.  I pulled in the gas station to fill up the wifes car.  In front of me was a man in a Tesla.  He had a little 2 gallon gas jug he was trying to fill it up.  I gassed her car and was leaving before he could fill up his his 2 gallon jug.  I wanted to say something smartelic, like...see it doesn't take very long to fill up a real car - what am I going to do with 3 free hours...or gee does it take premium?  I decided to just smile and smirk a bit and left.  He was still there.

• Like 1

Well, he's at it again, in case you missed it.  He's looking deep into his crystal ball as usual at geopolotics, demographics, war strategy, energy supply, China's problems, and the demise of our own best friend and worst enemy: BMW (and the rest of Germany, BTW).  He is however, very optimistic about North America.  He even has nice things to say about our kids and grandkids.  A fast paced look at what's coming at us, how it got this way, when it's gonna blow, and what to invest in.  In Shreveport, LA.  Who'd a thunk it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdmYkcRGemk

image.png.eff17b138d737ee699503e31a7d07b3a.png

Peter Zeihan's Shocking Predictions on China, Russia and the Ukrain

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Well, he's at it again, in case you missed it.  He's looking deep into his crystal ball as usual at geopolotics, demographics, war strategy, energy supply, China's problems, and the demise of our own best friend and worst enemy: BMW (and the rest of Germany, BTW).  He is however, very optimistic about North America.  He even has nice things to say about our kids and grandkids.  A fast paced look at what's coming at us, how it got this way, when it's gonna blow, and what to invest in.  In Shreveport, LA.  Who'd a thunk it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdmYkcRGemk

image.png.eff17b138d737ee699503e31a7d07b3a.png

Peter Zeihan's Shocking Predictions on China, Russia and the Ukrain

look, I need my potash, so this Eastern Europe thing needs to end quickly 

Also, having had to be under the Jones act, it sucks, definitely needs to be dropped 

34 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

look, I need my potash, so this Eastern Europe thing needs to end quickly 

Also, having had to be under the Jones act, it sucks, definitely needs to be dropped 

Well, FIX IT, will ya??

• Smile 1

Devon Rodriguez still making people happy on the subway! Most of his stuff is on tiktok. Hope this link works. Please let me know if there's a problem with it.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
On 3/4/2023 at 7:16 PM, Lowndes said:

Well, FIX IT, will ya??

Zeihan gets a tad dramatic at times but I found his book encouraging about the US' long view but challenging re: Asia and any country unable to cultivate wheat.

pz-endoftheworld-hbook006

58 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

How an AIM-9 sidewinder missile works:

And for a bit of its history,

• Thanks 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

A 1930's vintage gasoline-powered soil compactor.  Can't see anything ever going wrong with this:

Need some history (you may not even know you need to know) in depth and in tertaining??  Real world, up to date, relavent.  A very good speaker, too.  Ever heard of Stephen Kotkin??  Me neither.

The best part is the 6th question's answer, but to understand it you gotta srtart at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ww4ofe0v70

Hint: that ain't him starting out.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Bought my Q50 back in 2016 and discovered that it was too low to the ground for my old metal ramps, so I built up some crappy lower-height ramps out of scrap wood.  This guy made more deluxe wood ramps that store well together and also can have the lead-in part of each ramp swing out of the way once you've driven up to the top of the ramp, allowing unfettered access to your car's underbody from the sides.  Video is cued to 5:48, showing how the store together, and a demo of their use starts at about 6:00.

• Like 1

That's nice, I just jack the short vehicles up and put them on jack stands.  I had folding metal ramps, but I just find I can get the little vehicles higher with the stands.   So far, haven't dropped a car on meself yet.

I do like the simplicity of his build.  I hate throwing a piece of wood away, no matter how short it is, could always find a use.  Saving up various sizes could easily net that build with "scrap" wood, thus the cost is near-nada.

• Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

That's nice, I just jack the short vehicles up and put them on jack stands.  I had folding metal ramps, but I just find I can get the little vehicles higher with the stands.   So far, haven't dropped a car on meself yet.

I do like the simplicity of his build.  I hate throwing a piece of wood away, no matter how short it is, could always find a use.  Saving up various sizes could easily net that build with "scrap" wood, thus the cost is near-nada.

Watching him swing the lower stage out of the way for good access, it occurred to me that you could build a two-stage ramp with the upper stage being too tall to get under the car's bodywork when the wheels are on the ground:

1. With the lower stage lined up with the wheel and the upper stage swiveled out of the way, drive the car to the top of the lower stage.  

2. Swing the upper stage back in line with the lower stage, and drive up onto the upper stage.  

Sounds like my next project.  :cool:

• Plus 1 1

Might need to put some kind of removeable wheel stop at the end of the lower section, or just make the ramp longer to clear your ground effects.

John Ranalletta
4 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

Might need to put some kind of removeable wheel stop at the end of the lower section, or just make the ramp longer to clear your ground effects.

Bought these on Amazon.  My 335i has very low clearance from valence to ground and these work great.

FloTool 11912ABMI RhinoRamp MAX Vehicle Ramp Pair - Ideal for Heavy-Duty Home Garage Maintenance - Reduces Slippage - Works with Low Clearance Vehicles - 16,000lb GVW Capacity - Extra-Wide Design

image.png.329c767903de910e748ed6e5be75431c.pngimage.png.24b00409faa59d61a868906f91bbe043.png

• Plus 1 1
John Ranalletta
23 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

Tall enough??

Tall enough to slide under for oil change.  Not sure I'd want to spend a lot of time there, though.  I tried jacking up the car and using stands but it took longer to get the car in the air than do the work on the car.

The bottom of the valence (and most of the undercarriage is 6" plus the height of the ramps (8.5") = 14-15" of working space.

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Yeah, no:

That YT creator should consider a paper route if he's got time to do this.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

Customer declines repairs...

Went down that rabbit hole couple weeks ago.....scary as hell!

9 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Bad timing

Another thing I don't miss about So. Cal...... bro-dozers and parts falling off 'em.

roadscholar
3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Another thing I don't miss about So. Cal...... bro-dozers and parts falling off 'em.

If you look close at the end you can see the brake disc still in the wheel so maybe a wheel bearing failure? We have more than our share of those bozos over here, they put all kinds of cheap aftermarket crap on HD trucks just for the look, I'm surprised more don't destroy themselves and others anywhere near them.