IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

Does that rotation cause a problem with the swirling water in the toilet?   (aksing for a friend)

• Smile 1

I had a friend who had a pet skunk.  They are not what you'd call affectionate ever.  They are nocturnal so they are getting into mischief through the night and keeping residents awake with noise of 'exploring'.  A beautiful animal, but definately not a good house pet.

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 8/5/2023 at 6:51 PM, AnotherLee said:

A rotating bathroom? That's carrying things too far!

The most elegant manure spreader ever.

• Haha 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

Pretty cool.  Unfortunately this cow is only subsonic:

But was it a dairy cow w/ big udder, hairy cow like a Scottish highlander, or horned variety like a Texas longhorn.  Enquiring minds want to know.

9 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

How can you take anyone who thinks a bagpipe is a musical instrument seriously? :)

Whilst in Germany a few years ago, wife and I went to dinner at a beergarden.  Unbeknownst to us, there were to be bands that evening.  If I recall correctly, there were three or four "horn" bands that marched through the area.  People clapped, applauded,.....but when the bagpipes marched in, yelling and hollering while jumping on their feet, you could feel the enthusiasm of the crowd.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
20 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

It’s a very popular instrument played at just about every firefighter’s LODD :whistle: I will agree though, if ya ain’t got nothing to be sad about, it’s probably the last instrument I’d want blasting in my helmet while carving up some twisty road. :classic_biggrin:

Bagpipes, haggas and scotch whiskey.  Oh, those Scots!  Sent a sample of scotch whiskey for analysis.  Report said, "Your horse has diabetes."

• Haha 3
Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Whilst in Germany a few years ago, wife and I went to dinner at a beergarden.  Unbeknownst to us, there were to be bands that evening.  If I recall correctly, there were three or four "horn" bands that marched through the area.  People clapped, applauded,.....but when the bagpipes marched in, yelling and hollering while jumping on their feet, you could feel the enthusiasm of the crowd.

My dad loved bagpipe music (and yeah, if you're stopped next to me at a traffic light, now and then you'll hear it coming out of my car stereo).  Last June when we had a memorial luncheon for him at a craft brewery/restaurant in Lafayette, Colorado, my sister arranged for a piper to perform after the lunch.  That was supposed to happen outside, but at the last minute the weather turned foul and so the decision was made to have the piper perform indoors for us.  We had a private room and had hoped we could keep the big garage door to the outside open, but the weather was so bad we had to close it.  And after the first few notes from the pipes, the staff also closed the door separating us from the rest of the establishment.  

So it was us, in a closed-off, hard-walled, hard-floored, hard-roofed room, with a champion piper playing the great highland bagpipe:

image.thumb.jpeg.f569136a37a748ded2a52dad656e6277.jpeg

I mean he was awesome, super-skilled, and it was really great music - but you can see some of us covering our ears because holy crap, it was loud:

image.thumb.jpeg.7036da8f69631cbdf9e7f252c9b1fc51.jpeg

• Like 2

As a card carrying clan Campbell having listened to a lot of pipes in a lot of venues, enclosed in a relatively small hard surface room is not the right venue for the pipes.  The pipes were desigated as an official weapon of war after the battle of Culloden.  Such things are not meant to be 'exploded' just everywhere.  :)

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday

You know you're going fast when you leathers are smoking as you slide across the pavement (he broke his foot and got some burns from the sliding, but he recovered fine):

I was trying to figure out if he bailed or blew off. If bailed, it must have been super charging or brake failure and chose the lesser of two evils.

55 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I was trying to figure out if he bailed or blew off.

Blew off per the (extended) description. 

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

I was trying to figure out if he bailed or blew off. If bailed, it must have been super charging or brake failure and chose the lesser of two evils.

It looks like a bail, but according to the video owner's notes, it wasn't:

Right at the finish line of the 1/4 mile at Sydney Dragway there used to be a gentle rise and fall in the track. You'd hardly notice it, but at 350+ km/h it is actually becomes a bit of a bump. Now Chris Matheson in 2013 was already one of the most successful and experienced Top Fuel bike racers around, having already won many national titles. So he knew what he was doing. On this particular pass, just as he lifted is two little fingers on his left hand to grab the brake lever this bump lifted his hand just a tiny amount. (It's not like a normal bike layout, the brake is where the clutch normally is) and the wind got under these fingers. At that stage there was a fairing in front of the helmet and torso but no fairing in front of the hands. Now a 350km/h (230mph) wind has more than 10 times the force of a 100km/h wind, and even a strong person simply isn't strong enough to get their hand back on the handlebar once the wind has blown it off. Hence the rotation and tumble. This was NOT a conscious decision to get off. He was NOT celebrating a victory. He just caught a little too much air under the palm of his hand and that was that! The last thing he wanted to do was get off. Chris' left foot was badly broken and he had a number of quite severe burns wherever his triple-layer super heavy leathers touched the ground, as you can see by the puffs of smoke. Shoulders, elbows, hips, back. He always wears extremely high quality, super thick leathers.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

A "cobble" or misroll is when steel stock in a rolling mill misfeeds and goes where it ain't supposed to.  Since these mills often operate at high speed, they can end up flinging huge amounts of red-hot steel all over the place.  

Sometimes it's dangerous:

Other times it's really dangerous:

John Ranalletta
28 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

A "cobble" or misroll is when steel stock in a rolling mill misfeeds and goes where it ain't supposed to.  Since these mills often operate at high speed, they can end up flinging huge amounts of red-hot steel all over the place.  

Sometimes it's dangerous:

Other times it's really dangerous:

The guy on the catwalk doesn't seem too concerned.  

It was quite coincidental that someone had a phone ready to record the steel mill cobble.  Sup wit dat?

Joe Frickin' Friday
41 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

It was quite coincidental that someone had a phone ready to record the steel mill cobble.  Sup wit dat?

AIUI, while a cobble could happen at any time, they're most likely to happen when the line is starting up - so if you want the best odds of catching a video of a cobble, then that's the time to start recording.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

@Rougarou tell the little one not to do this do at 1:20 :spittake: On YouTube

Well, he did faceplant over Independence Day weekend while I was away for my work trip.

Put a nifty hole in his chin, but, he's itty bitty and pliable, bounced right back

His momma reacted right quick like and in a hurry.

• Like 1

Told ya you needed to adjust that slide placement! ;) :spittake:

So I now realize the reason for the slide replacement. :5146: 

Moms will run through a wall of fire to save their young! :thumbsup:

• Smile 1
7 hours ago, Skywagon said:

What were you doing at age 14.  I was still learning to tie my shoes.

Maybe shes gonna train Canada Geese to fly home

Hope she gets the Gunship, much more character than a lawndart fighter.

Joe Frickin' Friday

When you’re so rich you purposely go off-roading in your super car - and then you’re able to laugh it off when it goes up in smoke:

Moronic young ^

Now this story about a young dude is quite different. I guess it was ten years ago, wonder if he ever became a firefighter. Brave kid. :thumbsup:

• Like 4
On 8/21/2023 at 12:25 AM, Skywagon said:

What were you doing at age 14.  I was still learning to tie my shoes.

What were you riding and driving at three years old

Cue the safety/child endangerment people:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

So, older riders want to downsize from big bikes because they are heavy.  How in the hell does a 60lb kid do it?   Cannot even reach the pegs.   :dontknow:

16 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Wow

Yeah that one almost choked me up, and I really don’t have feelings. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin: 

A little story if you don’t mind. About a month ago I picked up our little rat dog from the groomer. The groomer, a nice girl, mid to late twenties. Now I just recently put this 2 and 2 together realizing she lives close to the south fire station. Figured it out by seeing her lettered vehicle parked. Anyway, way back about twenty something years ago when I was on the ambulance we had a call to that address. It was for a little girl having a seizure. Sure enough we get there and she was still actively seizing. I was the technician (guy in the back of the ambulance) and of course there were no hospital medics available at the time to intercept us en route to the hospital. To say I was calm and knew exactly what to do would be telling a BS story. I kept oxygenated air going into her lungs and told the driver to mash the pedal to the floor. 

Like almost all of your EMS calls you have to flush them from your memory to make room for the next one. As I did with that one. (well not completely I guess because I’m talking about it now.) :dontknow:

Anyways back to the groomer visit. I started with the story I just told and she interrupted and said, “that was me”! It was one of those awkward almost choking up moments before I could get a grip. She said “thank you for being there” and in true Forrest Gump fashion, I said, thank you for doing a nice job with the dog. :classic_biggrin:

I guess that “wow” story above about recognition years later brought this up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

I would have put this in “what are you listening to right now”, but this is less about the music and more about the animation.  If you liked “Heavy Metal”, this has a similar feel:

• Like 2

Hard-working lady in Bangkok, Thailand. "heavy rain" predicted. Keyed to start of rain/wind/chaos.