IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

New York is doing it's best to keep up with California. :/

that's what you get for your liberal ways..

well maybe not upstate...

and by liberal, I mean to say... the government is very liberal in it's spending of the taxes it collects on their constituents hard earned dollars...

'twill never be enough

d'milan

mountainmann

Colorado charges sales tax on the difference between price of the new vehicle and trade in allowance. This pushes people to trade in versus selling their vehicle in a private sale. You have to beat the dealer trade in offer by 8% (sales tax rate) to do better than trading in. That's hard to do and usually not worth the trouble. Also makes it hard to change brands. Honda dealers don't offer much for BMW trade ins, for example.

In Nebraska, my Dad died 2 days after buying a new car. The car went back to a car dealer. Nebraska would not refund the sales tax. The Cornhusker state is not kind about taxes.

More BMW evasion regarding the RT1200 recall issue, despite being asked to send all the information to BMW Germany they just redirect it to BMW Iberica who didn't respond at all when I sent them the emails directly and my dealer says he forwarded them as well - it's email pass the parcel with no-one wanting the parcel...

More BMW evasion regarding the RT1200 recall issue, despite being asked to send all the information to BMW Germany they just redirect it to BMW Iberica who didn't respond at all when I sent them the emails directly and my dealer says he forwarded them as well - it's email pass the parcel with no-one wanting the parcel...

It's what we call playing hot potato. Kind of like musical chairs except the music never stops.

PanMan_3rdDan

I am considering changing my 2010 RT for a 2014/15 model, so I am following this thread with some interest. I just had a thought - has anyone questioned the reliability of the front shock? From the BMW web site on dynamic suspension, " Damping adjustment of the spring struts at front and rear is effected by means of electrically controlled regulation valves. ", so I am assuming that both shocks are made by the same company, and any defect on the rear shock could also be present on the front shock as well? Is this a valid thought?

The RT suspension is manufactured by Marzocchi.

They've been around a while

http://www.marzocchi.com/chooseCountry.asp?LN=UK

I don't think that you can assume that if the rear piston was not good enough for whatever reason, that the front will also be not good enough.. who know's though. It is a different part, of a different size and load specification.

On the GS and GSA LC the dynamic suspension f & R is manufactured by Sachs.

d'milan

I have been asking for an executive contact and conversation with BMW. The email return said they would arrange that conversation in a few days. After 10 days or so, I got the robot from New Jersey. We don't know anything, we have no dates.

As a COO of a Fortune 20, I tried very hard to explain Brand Loyalty, the loss of Brand Loyalty, and how important communication is. Deaf ears. Robot...we no nothing, can't tell you anything..what option do you want. I tried to explain making a decision was impossible without information on estimated time to repair. Robot. I advised a directional date, not a committed date would be helpful; and as new information came in and the date changed, we would understand if the directional dates changed...Robot, Robot, Robot. They were very anxious to get off the phone so they could not answer their next clients questions....Seriously bad customer service.

I hate to use my work contacts for something personnel, but will now ask media relations to get involved and see if I can get some idea of a directional time frame from BMW. Not holding my breath as have been blocked at all attempts to have an adult conversation.

My brand loyalty for BMW bikes and cars is eroding quickly.

What I heard today is that BMW will be shipping out solid steel shock struts to hold your motorcycle up while your shock is removed and shipped back to be rebuilt.

Pat

More news from Blighty.

UK dealers are receiving box steel parts with holes at either end. They're removing shocks from bikes, mounting the temporary box steel part so they can wheel the bikes away, and sending the shocks back to the Mothership.

Still no news as to whether the Mothership has a solution yet.

Edit: Of course, this is only for bikes that have already been recovered to the dealers.

Looking back I see this is old news.

Pat

This whole ordeal has ruined my will to ride, especially a BMW. My 14 is worse than a boat anchor and the way this situation has been completely mishandled by my dealer and BMW Corp has ruined it for me.

I am in the market for a new car as I was looking towards a new M vehicle to replace my 335. Its going too now.

I am done with BMW as they have ruined it for me. I have placed a deposit for a new 15 Vette.

I am completely disgusted with BMW. Did I say that? Completley disgusted.

Congratulations BMW.

I don't have a boat anchor, not wild about the transmissions, but I wouldn't be as harsh if I did.

S... happens, as I wrote b-4 here, BMW is doing what's necessary in our world and times. It's an unprecedented situation. There were no existing guidelines.

I'm sure it's frustrating and inconvenient.

Now, off topic.. but I can't resist.

Since you're gettin' a "vette"

I'll share my feelings about Government Motards.

They're getting away with murder, financially anyway.

After their bankruptcy, there was a shrewdly orchestrated collusion between the new GM and the Federal Government.

First, the Government purchased stock in the new GM, and there were 2 loans issued. At the time of the second loan, many questioned the need. The new GM had been recapitalized beyond what was needed in order to remain in operation.

Then in time, the 2 loans were repaid, enabling the press (also in on this) to headline that GM had repaid it's taxpayer loans.

But the name Government Motors persisted. Not good for the General.

Just this spring the government sold it's stock at a loss....

leaving GM with 11.3 BILLION dollars of operating capital that they will never have to repay to the US taxpayer. But it wasn't a loan right??? Pretty clever.

Most folks are too buy watching sports or gambling to even know what hit 'em.

I won't even go into the ignition lock debacle except to propose that if Ford, Toyota or Honda had done what GM did in regard to ignoring the defect and related incidents and deaths they would be crucified incessantly on the front page / headlines....

Coverage of the GM situation is buried or briefly mentioned by a reluctant press.

GM hasn't received nearly the bad PR that Toyota did with it's accelerator/floor mat issue, and the GM situation is clearly a more egregious cover up of a known defect.

I'm disgusted with GM.

d'milan

Jaqen H'ghar
I don't have a boat anchor, not wild about the transmissions, but I wouldn't be as harsh if I did.

S... happens, as I wrote b-4 here, BMW is doing what's necessary in our world and times. It's an unprecedented situation. There were no existing guidelines.

I'm sure it's frustrating and inconvenient.

Now, off topic.. but I can't resist.

Since you're gettin' a "vette"

I'll share my feelings about Government Motards.

They're getting away with murder, financially anyway.

After their bankruptcy, there was a shrewdly orchestrated collusion between the new GM and the Federal Government.

First, the Government purchased stock in the new GM, and there were 2 loans issued. At the time of the second loan, many questioned the need. The new GM had been recapitalized beyond what was needed in order to remain in operation.

Then in time, the 2 loans were repaid, enabling the press (also in on this) to headline that GM had repaid it's taxpayer loans.

But the name Government Motors persisted. Not good for the General.

Just this spring the government sold it's stock at a loss....

leaving GM with 11.3 BILLION dollars of operating capital that they will never have to repay to the US taxpayer. But it wasn't a loan right??? Pretty clever.

Most folks are too buy watching sports or gambling to even know what hit 'em.

I won't even go into the ignition lock debacle except to propose that if Ford, Toyota or Honda had done what GM did in regard to ignoring the defect and related incidents and deaths they would be crucified incessantly on the front page / headlines....

Coverage of the GM situation is buried or briefly mentioned by a reluctant press.

GM hasn't received nearly the bad PR that Toyota did with it's accelerator/floor mat issue, and the GM situation is clearly a more egregious cover up of a known defect.

I'm disgusted with GM.

d'milan

+1

Well said. To buy a GM product today is giving them your approval.

D,

No, you are right about the GM thing. Obie and the GM management are complicit. I am just moving to more of a domestic sourcing thing and the vette is world class. May still move to a Shelby too. I just plunked down a couple of hundred to hold a production spot.

Buell may be my next street bike too. I just don't know yet.

Closer to home I am just appalled at the way BMW is handling this fiasco as well as the relationship between corp and customer. They truly fumbled the ball and refused to pick it up.

Threatening the owner with "you will be put to the end of the line" when parts become available is simply appalling, especially in light of no communicated timeline for anything, not the buyback, not the parts availability.

If there is not a direct replacement and the rumor of removing the existing shock and rebuilding it is the solution????? Seriously???

I sold a perfectly good 07 RT to get the 14. My bad I guess. I even called the person I sold the 07 to buy it back. Unfortunately no dice.

Fortunately for BMW the 14 RT owners number a very small percentage. Imagine if the GS was the issue....their best seller. Perhaps the outcome would have been different.

Frustrating and inconvenient does not even scratch the surface.

I have been asking for an executive contact and conversation with BMW. The email return said they would arrange that conversation in a few days. After 10 days or so, I got the robot from New Jersey. We don't know anything, we have no dates.

As a COO of a Fortune 20, I tried very hard to explain Brand Loyalty, the loss of Brand Loyalty, and how important communication is. Deaf ears. Robot...we no nothing, can't tell you anything..what option do you want. I tried to explain making a decision was impossible without information on estimated time to repair. Robot. I advised a directional date, not a committed date would be helpful; and as new information came in and the date changed, we would understand if the directional dates changed...Robot, Robot, Robot. They were very anxious to get off the phone so they could not answer their next clients questions....Seriously bad customer service.

I hate to use my work contacts for something personnel, but will now ask media relations to get involved and see if I can get some idea of a directional time frame from BMW. Not holding my breath as have been blocked at all attempts to have an adult conversation.

My brand loyalty for BMW bikes and cars is eroding quickly.

You may have made some headway. I talked to BMW NA customer relations today and the guy said that they would send out some form of communication within the next week.

I don't think that BMW Corp. is sharing much information with BMW NA and they are doing the best that they can. Every time that I've called them they have been professional and I have no complaints with BMW NA over this issue.

The guy also said that you can help them prioritize the shipment of shocks by letting them know if you are keeping the bike. Apparently everyone who wants to keep the bike will have priority for shock replacement. Like others have said here, he mentioned that replacement shocks have been in production for a couple of weeks. When I asked if they were the same manufacturer, he said that BMW Corp. does not share that information with BMW NA.

I will be keeping my RT and likely buying an extended warranty with part of that $2500.

This RT experience has been just lousy. BMW has a VERY LONG way to go regarding customer relations and this was something I was told about before I got my RT. I figured that they could not be as poor as I was told. It looks like I was wrong on this.

Lack of communication and taking away a riding season makes for a very bad taste. I have a couple of other bikes and I took the Road Glide to Utah/Colorado last week, but this really was going to be the RT's inauguration ride. It is parked until the end of August with 3400 miles on it and the new shock should - should - be on it then.

Customer relations is not even going to extend the warranty on the bike for the time it is down. I guess BMW has no faith in the product they are putting out. 3 months, for darn sake! This warranty extension isn't even costing them anything, but it would be nice to show good faith to those of us that dropped $22K on an RT. Love the bike. Still do, but this is pretty lame.

My dealer called yesterday to say that they needed to pick up my 2014 R1200RT. BMW had told them that they needed to remove the rear shocks from all affected bikes and have them ready for shipment by next Friday, the 18th. People who were keeping their bikes were to have first priority. So it looks like the US is following the same sort of procedure as was previously announced for the UK.

BMW can't just ship out a new/rebuilt shock to install on their customers' long-parked bikes.

It's much more efficient, cheaper and convenient (for BMW) to ship a dummy shock, have it swapped out for the bad shock, have the bad shock shipped to Germany or wherever, rebuild the bad shock, ship the rebuilt shock back to the customer/dealer, have the dummy shock removed and finally have the rebuilt shock installed. Piece of cake.

I presume BMW will want the dummy shock shipped back to them to be shipped out again for the next repair.

Jaqen H'ghar
My dealer called yesterday to say that they needed to pick up my 2014 R1200RT. BMW had told them that they needed to remove the rear shocks from all affected bikes and have them ready for shipment by next Friday, the 18th. People who were keeping their bikes were to have first priority. So it looks like the US is following the same sort of procedure as was previously announced for the UK.

Where are you located?

We are talking about a metal strut with holes in each end so that the Bike shops can remove the real shock absorber unit and in the gap temporarily left, they can stick this metal strut so that the bike is not collapsed on its back wheel.

BMW can't just ship out a new/rebuilt shock to install on their customers' long-parked bikes.

It's much more efficient, cheaper and convenient (for BMW) to ship a dummy shock, have it swapped out for the bad shock, have the bad shock shipped to Germany or wherever, rebuild the bad shock, ship the rebuilt shock back to the customer/dealer, have the dummy shock removed and finally have the rebuilt shock installed. Piece of cake.

I presume BMW will want the dummy shock shipped back to them to be shipped out again for the next repair.

John is being sarcastic, and for understandable reasons.

That sounds like it potentially could be a pretty slow process. It would make some $ense to remanufacture the shocks but people in the UK had mentioned the shocks being sent tagged and returned and reinstalled by VIN. This would be very complicated and slow process. Feeding defective or questionable ESAs in one end and having them come out remanufactured with a new rod the other end and sending them as quick as possible to where ever needed would be much quicker. Generic units and new units that emerged would be shipped to dealers and installed potentially as the affected ESA units were still in shipment back to Tenneco, Belgium.

BMW Motorrad's complete lack of transparency and generally poor communication with affected owners regarding projected repair timelines, parts availability and repair process was a poorly chosen executive decision and continues to extend the damages to many owners of affected bikes. I'm seeing many people giving up and choosing options to not wait and stating the reason as the communication or lack there of.

The process of stripping and shipping affected ESA units and replacing them with a metal plate to support the rear of the bike so that it could be moved after the shock removal started about 1 month prior to the US date of July 18th in the UK. They were given a provisional date of mid to late August for completion of repair including the replacement ESA units. Does the earlier start matter? Who knows?

As an aside, with several models of ESA, a remanufactored unit is markedly less cost than a new replacement unit.

If remanufactured units are returned and reinstalled generically, I might have a ESA from my non delivered bike with 5 miles (factory) removed and replaced with a reman ESA with 6000-10000 miles at unknown loads, with a new piston rod but @ 1/4-1/3 service life on other components.

Food for thought.

... If remanufactured units are returned and reinstalled generically, I might have a ESA from my non delivered bike with 5 miles (factory) removed and replaced with a reman ESA with 6000-10000 miles at unknown loads, with a new piston rod but @ 1/4-1/3 service life on other components.

Food for thought.

It seems that BMW is tracking/rebuilding shocks via VIN rather than generically. I think in most countries it would not be legal for BMW to sell new bikes with used/rebuilt components from some other bike. They'd need to rebuild the shock specifically from your new bike. Heck, BMW can't be giving every parked 14 RT a new shock! Tosh!

[

It seems that BMW is tracking/rebuilding shocks via VIN rather than generically. I think in most countries it would not be legal for BMW to sell new bikes with used/rebuilt components from some other bike. They'd need to rebuild the shock specifically from your new bike. Heck, BMW can't be giving every parked 14 RT a new shock! Tosh!

A small BMW effort at transparency and communication would be godsend, indeed.

We don't have any idea of the process or details. There is no laws I am aware of that precludes a repair with a reman part and it is done fairly routinely. Perhaps new, unsold units would require a new non reman ESA.

The logistical nightmare and shipping times of specific VIN ESA reman would seem to preclude a speedy solution to what will be by July 18th, already a 6 week long process.

Two seperate US people have stated that their dealers have said this only applies to dealer stock, undelivered and non owned RTs. Hopefully US owner bikes will see a different replacement process.

Transparency and communication would go a long way.

Heard the same as many today, that the parts will be available in August, this from my CSR at BMWNA. If true, $2500 for two months seems like an adquate amount for losing two months or two months and a half. If August rolls into November, not so much.

I have had another bike to ride.

It's now been over 2 weeks since I confirmed BMW received all appropriate paperwork for my repurchase AND still absolutely no contact from BMW NA. I'm constantly referred to a "Mark" who apparently is incapable of answering his phone, responding to voicemails, or replying to emails.

Lack of communication is complete BS. BMW knows a timeframe for the repair. If you don't think so, you're in denial. That's how they knew to offer buyback (greater than 30 days) and how I'm sure they figured out $2,500 value.

It's now been over 2 weeks since I confirmed BMW received all appropriate paperwork for my repurchase AND still absolutely no contact from BMW NA. I'm constantly referred to a "Mark" who apparently is incapable of answering his phone, responding to voicemails, or replying to emails.

Lack of communication is complete BS. BMW knows a timeframe for the repair. If you don't think so, you're in denial. That's how they knew to offer buyback (greater than 30 days) and how I'm sure they figured out $2,500 value.

Pretty sure the "marks" they are talking about are all their customers.
Guest Kakugo
Hi

Anyone in Europe yet managed to REJECT their RT and be promised or actually received a refund?

Thanks

The owner of "my" Honda dealer was offered to return his RT with the difference going towards a GS-A or a K1600GT. That's all I know of.

EU Legislation looks as if it may apply - I've added comments in brackets {{ }}

Directive 99/44/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 May 1999 on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees.

SUMMARY

The Directive is concerned with the legal guarantee and commercial guarantees.

The concept of legal guarantee relates to the legal protection of the purchaser in respect of defects in the goods acquired. This legal protection is rendered compulsory by the law and is not dependent upon the contract. The Directive hence establishes the principle of the conformity of the product with the contract.

The concept of commercial guarantee, on the other hand, calls upon the demonstration of the willingness of one person, the guarantor, who assumes personal liability for certain defects.

The Directive does not use the terminology of legal and commercial guarantee. Where the term "guarantee" is used, it covers only commercial guarantees, which are defined as follows: "any additional undertaking given by a seller or producer, over and above the legal rules governing the sale of consumer goods, to reimburse the price paid, to exchange, repair or handle a product in any way, in the case of non-conformity of the product with the contract".

Consumer goods are defined as any tangible movable item, with the exception of:

•goods sold by way of execution or otherwise by authority of law;

•water and gas where they are not put up for sale in a limited volume or set quantity;

•electricity.

Member States may exclude from this definition second-hand goods sold at public auction where consumers have the opportunity of attending the sale in person. 7. However, the Directive applies to contracts for the supply of consumer goods to be manufactured or produced.

Contracts of sale

Consumer goods must be in conformity with the contract of sale.

Goods are deemed to be in conformity with the contract if, at the moment of delivery to the consumer:

•they comply with the description given by the seller and possess the qualities of the product which the seller has held out to the consumer as a sample or model;

•they are fit for the purposes for which goods of the same type are normally used; {{It is a motorcycle that the manufacturer says I cannot ride}}

•they are fit for any particular purpose for which the consumer requires them and which was made known to the seller at the time of conclusion of the contract, and accepted by the seller; {{I explicitly explained I wanted a touring motorcycle}}•their quality and performance are satisfactory, given the nature of the goods and taking into account the public statements made about them by the seller, the producer or his representative. {{Obviously not as BMW are having to repair them.}}

The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which arises within a period of two years from delivery. However, the lack of conformity cannot be accepted if, at the moment of conclusion of the contract of sale, the consumer knew or could not reasonably have been unaware of the lack of conformity.

If the goods are not in conformity with the public statements made by the seller, the producer or their representative, the seller will not be liable if they show that:

•they did not know and could not reasonably know the statement in question;

•they corrected the statement at the time of sale;

•the decision to buy the goods could not have been influenced by the statement.

Any lack of conformity resulting from incorrect installation of the consumer goods is deemed to be equivalent to lack of conformity of the goods if installation forms part of the contract of sale of the goods and the goods were installed by the seller or under their responsibility. This applies equally if the product, intended to be installed by the consumer, is installed by the consumer and the incorrect installation is due to a shortcoming in the installation instructions.

Any lack of conformity becoming apparent within six months of delivery will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery, unless: {{delivered on the 3rd March – BMW instruction not to ride dated 6th June}}•proof to the contrary is furnished;

•this presumption is incompatible with the nature of the goods or the nature of the lack of conformity.

When a lack of conformity is notified to the seller, the consumer will be entitled to ask: {{note it is the consumer who is entitled to ask}}

•for the goods to be repaired or replaced free of charge within a reasonable period and without major inconvenience to the consumer; {{I have been severely inconvenienced – not able to ride my bike for the purpose I bought it}}•for an appropriate reduction to be made to the price, or for the contract to be rescinded, if repair or replacement is impossible or disproportionate, or if the seller has not remedied the shortcoming within a reasonable period or without major inconvenience to the consumer. {{The parts will not be available until the middle of August (week 34) and they cannot say when the repairs will be completed -so cause to have the contract rescinded}}

The contract cannot be rescinded if the lack of conformity is minor. {{Hardly a minor issue if I cannot ride the bike for more than 10 weeks!}}

When the final seller is liable to the consumer because of a lack of conformity resulting from an act of commission or omission by the producer, a previous seller in the same chain of contracts or any other intermediary, the final seller will be entitled to pursue remedies against the person responsible.

Compliance with the commercial guarantee

Any commercial guarantee offered by a seller or producer is legally binding upon them under the conditions laid down in the guarantee document and the associated advertising. The guarantee must state that the consumer also has statutory rights and clearly state that these rights are not affected by the guarantee. Furthermore, the guarantee must state its content, in simple and understandable terms, and indicate the conditions for claiming under it, notably its duration and territorial scope and the name and address of the guarantor.

At the consumer’s request, the guarantee shall be made available in writing or in the form of another durable medium. Within its own territory, the Member State in which the consumer goods are marketed may provide that the guarantee be drafted in one or more official languages of the Community.

Non-conformity of the commercial guarantee with the provisions of the Directive does not affect its validity and the consumer may still require that the guarantee be honoured.

Other consumer protection provisions

Any contractual terms or agreements concluded with the seller which directly or indirectly waive or restrict the rights created by the Directive are not binding on the consumer.

Member States may adopt more stringent provisions, compatible with the Treaty, to ensure a higher level of consumer protection.

Regarding not hearing anything from BMW for at least 2 weeks now after confirming they received all my documentation, does anyone have any experience with or feedback with Better Business Bureau? Just wondering if it's worth filing a complaint with them. Sad part is I still have up to a 30 day wait for my money once a repurchase agreement is signed. I did see a complaint was filed at NHTSA's website for similar problem I'm having with "Mark".

I too have "selected" the buyout and have been assigned to "Mark".

It has been over two weeks with multiple emails and phone messages to "Mark". No contact whatsoever from "Mark". Professional courtesy at BMW is a joke. Initially I was told by "Tina" that a buyout would be processed within 60-90 DAYS AFTER signing an agreement.

This whole process has been nothing but a farce and fiasco. My dealer is no help either.

Anyone move to Yamaha FJR ES?

Just received this from BMW Spain: (scroll down for English translation)

Very interesting point in the 3rd paragraph - they say

"The solution to this issue will be replacement of the complete rear shock. From the time the incident was detected BMW Group has made every effort in making these dampers, which are not yet available because, logically, they must first be tested, insured and manufactured in required number."

If this is true then one can only wonder why others have reported that BMW distributors are stripping out the existing shocks and sending them back to be remanufactured.

I wonder if this is a blatant misdirection.

Madrid, 4 de julio de 2014

Muy Señores nuestros,

Recientemente nos hemos puesto en contacto con usted por vía telefónica o por correo electrónico desde BMW Motorrad para informarle de que, por motivos de seguridad, no debería hacer uso de su motocicleta BMW R1200 RT mencionada anteriormente hasta nuevo aviso debido a una incidencia técnica. Con esta comunicación pretendemos proporcionarle más información sobre las medidas que BMW Motorrad ha puesto en marcha para solucionar el problema así como pedirle disculpas por las molestias ocasionadas.

Dentro de los continuos controles de calidad realizados a nuestros vehículos, se constató que, en circunstancias muy excepcionales, podría llegar a romperse el vástago del émbolo del amortiguador trasero. Por este motivo y con el objetivo de garantizar su seguridad, hemos procedido de inmediato a emitir el aviso de inmovilización de su motocicleta.

La solución de esta incidencia consistirá en la sustitución del amortiguador trasero completo. Desde el momento en que se detectó la incidencia el Grupo BMW ha puesto todo su esfuerzo en la fabricación de estos amortiguadores, los cuales aún no se encuentran disponibles ya que, lógicamente, primero deben ser probados, asegurados y fabricados en número necesario.

Según la información de la que disponemos, el proceso de sustitución de los amortiguadores traseros comenzará a partir de la semana del 18 de agosto de 2014.

En todo caso, cuando llegue el momento, recibirá una notificación y podrá acordar con su Concesionario BMW Motorrad una fecha para la reparación de su vehículo, además su Concesionario le atenderá en todo lo que sea necesario para poder recoger su R 1200 RT del lugar donde se encuentre.

Con el fin de garantizar su movilidad, desde este momento y durante todo el tiempo que transcurra hasta la reparación de su motocicleta, BMW Motorrad ha puesto en marcha un programa especial de motocicletas de sustitución. Su Concesionario BMW Motorrad le dará más información sobre esta iniciativa.

Como es natural, BMW Motorrad se hará cargo tanto de los costes originado_s por la recogida de su motocicleta R1200 RT como de los derivados del cambio del amortiguador trasero.

Como muestra de la importancia que los clientes como usted tienen para nosotros y como compensación por el tiempo de inmovilización de su vehículo, le ofrecemos la posibilidad de realizar de forma gratuita una compra de productos BMW Motorrad (recambios originales, equipamiento moto y equipamiento motorista) por un importe máximo de 500 € antes del 31 de diciembre de 2014 en el Concesionario BMW Motorrad donde adquirió su motocicleta (oferta no canjeable por su equivalente en metálico) presentando esta carta. Adicionalmente, le ofrecemos sin coste para usted una ampliación de garantía de 12 meses en los mismos términos y condiciones que la garantía originaria de 2 años.

Una vez más, le pedimos disculpas por las molestias que le hayamos podido causar y le agradecemos su comprensión y paciencia.

Si tuviera alguna pregunta adicional no dude en contactar con nosotros, a través del correo electrónico rclientes@bmw.es, o con su Concesionario BMW Motorrad habitual.

Sin otro particular, reciba un cordial saludo,

BMW Motorrad España

Madrid, July 4, 2014

Dear Sirs,

Recently we have been in contact with you by phone or email from BMW Motorrad to inform you that, for security reasons, you should not use your motorcycle BMW R1200 RT mentioned above until further notice due to a technical problem. With this paper we aim to provide more information on measures BMW Motorrad has launched to solve the problem and apologize for the inconvenience.

Within the continuous quality control performed at the vehicles, it was found that in very exceptional circumstances, could even break the piston rod of the rear shock. For this reason and in order to ensure their safety, we immediately proceeded to issue the notice of detention of his motorcycle.

The solution to this issue will be replacement of the complete rear shock. From the time the incident was detected BMW Group has made every effort in making these cushions, which are not yet available because, logically, they must first be tested, insured and manufactured in required number.

According to the information we have, the process of replacing the rear shocks start from the week of August 18, 2014.

In any case, when the time comes, you will be notified and may agree with your BMW Motorrad a date for the repair of your vehicle, plus your dealer will assist you in whatever is necessary to pick up your R 1200 RT where is found.

In order to ensure their mobility, from now and throughout the time leading up to repair your motorcycle, BMW Motorrad has launched a special program replacement motorcycle. Your BMW Motorrad will give you more information on this initiative.

Naturally, BMW Motorrad will bear much of the costs originado_s by collecting R1200 RT motorcycle as their derivatives change the rear shock.

As a sign of the importance that customers like you have for us and as compensation for downtime of your vehicle, we offer the possibility of making a purchase free BMW Motorrad product (original spare parts, equipment and equipment bike rider) for a maximum amount of € 500 before December 31, 2014 in BMW Motorrad where you bought your motorcycle (Offer not redeemable for cash equivalent) presenting this card. Additionally, we offer no cost to you an extension of 12-month warranty on the same terms and conditions as the original 2 year warranty.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused and we appreciate your understanding and patience.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us via email rclientes@bmw.es, or your usual BMW Motorrad.

I remain, Yours faithfully,

BMW Motorrad Spain

I was at a Total Riding Control Clinic this weekend in Lexington, KY and nobody had heard of the BMW crisis. So I wonder if the damage done is to the BMW community and the rest of the bike world goes on. BMW hopes this is the case. The part malfunction is one thing but the way BMW has handled the situation is abyssmal.

At least someone else feels my pain. I found a telephone number online for BMW New Jersey (201)307-4000. I called and asked to speak with Todd Andersen--Director of Marketing (I obviously did not think I'd be connected). I advised nature of my call and was given "Bret". Conveniently, Bret said my file does not show I was ever advised buyback would take 3-5 days or 1 week. He said if I was told that, it was done in error.

Bret told me the process takes 6-8 weeks. I had him confirm that now means that it can take 6-8 weeks to get your repurchase agreement, then another 30 days after that to get your money.

I will be so glad to be done with this company. I'm pretty sure BMW has a legal department that already had all of this resolved and there are most likely set forms that "Mark" must complete. It does not take 6-8 weeks to check the math on a bill of sale.

I would guess BMW is trying to drag out the buyback beyond the repair hoping that the estimated 15% of us who elected buyback will then waiver and elect repair.

At least someone else feels my pain. I found a telephone number online for BMW New Jersey (201)307-4000. I called and asked to speak with Todd Andersen--Director of Marketing (I obviously did not think I'd be connected). I advised nature of my call and was given "Bret". Conveniently, Bret said my file does not show I was ever advised buyback would take 3-5 days or 1 week. He said if I was told that, it was done in error.

Bret told me the process takes 6-8 weeks. I had him confirm that now means that it can take 6-8 weeks to get your repurchase agreement, then another 30 days after that to get your money.

I will be so glad to be done with this company. I'm pretty sure BMW has a legal department that already had all of this resolved and there are most likely set forms that "Mark" must complete. It does not take 6-8 weeks to check the math on a bill of sale.

I would guess BMW is trying to drag out the buyback beyond the repair hoping that the estimated 15% of us who elected buyback will then waiver and elect repair.

Sounds like some people need to record their conversations with BMW. New Jersey is a single party state.

Very interesting point in the 3rd paragraph - they say

"The solution to this issue will be replacement of the complete rear shock. From the time the incident was detected BMW Group has made every effort in making these dampers, which are not yet available because, logically, they must first be tested, insured and manufactured in required number."

If this is true then one can only wonder why others have reported that BMW distributors are stripping out the existing shocks and sending them back to be remanufactured.

I wonder if this is a blatant misdirection.

I can confirm that BMW (at least in the UK) has removed the rear shocks from the bikes and has sent (or will be sending) them to the Continent. They presumably will be going to the Czech Republic.

Whether this means they will be repaired and sent back or if they are being sent as part of BMW's legal fight with Marzocchi (as in - "here are the shocks you sold us, now give us back our money...") I don't know.

But please note that the letter from Spain says the shocks will be replaced. However it does not say they will be replaced with new ones. It could well simply be that they will fix all of the shocks and then put one of those on your bike.

Afternoon Hdf

My (SWG)is-- I can see no inexpensive & practicable way for BMW to rebuild the innards on those shocks.

But they could probably save some money by using the existing external active control units.

I'm guessing that they want the shocks back to swap the active components & verify proper calibration to the new shock.

But they could probably save some money by using the existing external active control units.

I'm guessing that they want the shocks back to swap the active components & verify proper calibration to the new shock.

Agree. What you describe would fall under my personal definition of "repaired" since they would effectively be mixing old/used parts with new, as opposed to a completely new shock and electronic gizmos.

From what I understand it isn't the gizmo that is defective. It is the shock. So I think all is good with just replacing the shock.Several years ago Harley had a cam bearing problem. They just replaced the bearings. Everything else was reused. Similar but different issue.

BitScribbler

So Spain says new shock manufacture starts 18 August. Wow. This could mean repairs running to the end of the year. Dealers can only do so much.

In the UK we have the £500 "spend" offered, but no extension to the warranty. I've written to demand this. If you're in the UK, I recommend you do the same.

From what I understand it isn't the gizmo that is defective. It is the shock. So I think all is good with just replacing the shock.Several years ago Harley had a cam bearing problem. They just replaced the bearings. Everything else was reused. Similar but different issue.

Afternoon bdfbeemer

I don't see the gizmo listed separately in my parts book so if BMW wants to remove it & install it on the new shock they will probably have to have the shock (& gizmo) back in their hands so they can install & calibrate the gizmo to the new shock.

I too have "selected" the buyout and have been assigned to "Mark".

It has been over two weeks with multiple emails and phone messages to "Mark". No contact whatsoever from "Mark". Professional courtesy at BMW is a joke. Initially I was told by "Tina" that a buyout would be processed within 60-90 DAYS AFTER signing an agreement.

This whole process has been nothing but a farce and fiasco. My dealer is no help either.

Anyone move to Yamaha FJR ES?

That's just awful service. But typical, in my BMW experience.

Afternoon bdfbeemer

I don't see the gizmo listed separately in my parts book so if BMW wants to remove it & install it on the new shock they will probably have to have the shock (& gizmo) back in their hands so they can install & calibrate the gizmo to the new shock.

The shock in my bike was replaced a couple of months before the recall because of an oil leak. The old one was removed the new one bolted in, connected. The tech probably ran a check on the computer. The whole thing wasn't a big deal. That is why I think it is a simple replacment job.

How many people have had dealings with other motorcycle company's customer service departments? I had an issue with a radio on an Ultra Classic in the mid 90s. Harley was very hard to deal with. Not like this but it took a lot of effort to get a response. I think the way BMW is handling this is terrible. I like my bike but when I decide to change it most likely will be with another make due to the way this was handled. If I didn't like the way the bike fits my riding style I would say adious amigos in a heartbeat. I wish BMW would get a huge fine from the comsumer protection agency for the way their customers have been treated. Parts are parts but it is how you treat the customer that is important. I do not like government intervention. But in this case BMW needs an incentive to treat us with respect.

Admin edited for political content

Archived