IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

From what I have heard the shaft is a 14mm which is too small to start with on a shock of this diameter. Second it is bored for the adjustable valve dampening and threaded at the bottom of the shock. This causes the thickness of the shaft to be reduced greatly and is where the shocks that have broken have broken at.

Went to see the dealer this morning. Of course nice as they can be and dealing with this the best they can.

They could not give me a printout of the BMW offers, but the sheet on about page 35 of this thread is correct. A new incentive has been added as I mentioned the other day.

They will give full buy back value for the RT including tax, accessories, registration, etc without a deduction for mileage. They will give you $3500 off MSRP of a K1600GT or GTL in stock. So.....I rode one and tried to convince myself I should trade and be done. But I couldn't. The 1600GT is a very nice bike. The extra weight was noticeable, but not inhibiting. Dislikes. It's too darn smooth. I miss my boxer vibration. The little mirrors just don't give the visibility I get with the RT mirrors (and yes I know many hate the RT mirrors). As far as power...I guess it is quicker, but honestly it was not perceivable by me. It holds a little more gas, but burns more gas so range is a little shorter. It does not have quick shift, hill stop, and does not have the ESA that constantly adjust to road conditions like the RT...you know the one that has us grounded.

So if you like the 1600 better, it's a heck of a deal. My RT just happens to fit me like a glove. I'm going to wait. I may feel different if it gets to August and no word from BMW, but for now I would be trading a bike I really like for one I didn't really care for.

While I was there, there was 2 guys trading their 2014RT's for 2014 K1600GT's.

From what I have heard the shaft is a 14mm which is too small to start with on a shock of this diameter. Second it is bored for the adjustable valve dampening and threaded at the bottom of the shock. This causes the thickness of the shaft to be reduced greatly and is where the shocks that have broken have broken at.

Trying to imagine the load of two-up riding with 3 full touring cases rolling over a typical U.S. pothole at speed -- on a hollow 14mm shaft?

From this description it seems to be an issue of poor design/engineering as well as poor manufacturing, kind of like their Professor Whizbang power brakes era that came and went. BMW engineers seem to enjoy engineering in complexity for its own sake.

Just one for the rear. Once BMW has the replacement parts i will put the stock one back on and take it in to be replaced. Then after riding with the replacement compared to the Wilbers I will decide which one rides better and go with it. If the stock replacement it better I will keep the Wilbers for when the stock wears out.

Alan

This seems like an ideal answer since shocks are wear items anyway. Hope they can get yours in and out quickly.

When you get it and install it let us the difficutly factor; especially anything BMW that might have to be disconnected and taken off. With the $2500 option from BMW to wait, this could be a good alternative answer.

I believe you summed it up well - it is a design issue and not just a manufacturing/fabrication deviation.....from what I have gathered, BMW is dealing with both a metallurgical ( material selection & properties ) as well as dimensional design faux pas....and not one who enjoys bad news, but my 22 years as a mechanical engineer ( 4 years in vehicular design) suggests that this could take a while to play out for BMW.....i.e. August now seems more optimistic.

I believe you summed it up well - it is a design issue and not just a manufacturing/fabrication deviation.....from what I have gathered, BMW is dealing with both a metallurgical ( material selection & properties ) as well as dimensional design faux pas....and not one who enjoys bad news, but my 22 years as a mechanical engineer ( 4 years in vehicular design) suggests that this could take a while to play out for BMW.....i.e. August now seems more optimistic.

A further question is whether BMW engineers can come up with a redesign and prototyping and testing before the start of MY 2015 builds -- or drop Dynamic ESA altogether for a year til they figure it out without using customers as testers.

Got a K1600 loaner Wed and brought it in for 600 mile ck today. Halfway to the dealer, left controller shit the bed. Now I have my old bike I traded in as my loaner. What a nightmare. Stephen King, anyone?

roadscholar
Got a K1600 loaner Wed and brought it in for 600 mile ck today. Halfway to the dealer, left controller shit the bed. Now I have my old bike I traded in as my loaner. What a nightmare. Stephen King, anyone?

:dopeslap:

I do sympathize with those affected by all this but will concede this thread is providing a daily dose of entertainment for some of us on the sidelines. FWIW, I rode an 1100RT this afternoon into the evening and was reminded what a stellar machine it is. Think I'll ride an 1150GS around some tomorrow for no other reason than to celebrate the fact that I'll have zero anxiety it'll take me where I'm going! :grin:

Hey, Roadscholar. 1100 RT is junk compared to the 1200. I owned both. I still road more miles this week than you. I have a 2007 Corvette I can drive You have a mental disorder.

While the topic at hand is serious and very upsetting to those involved it is important to keep the comments civil and refrain from any personal attacks.

Stephen King, anyone?

True story, I bought my current 1100 RT from a gentleman named Stephen King. :dopeslap: No, not the author, just another guy with the same name. It did give me pause, but then I decided not to give in to my superstitions. The lady at the DMV even commented on it when she was processing the title transfer! :rofl:

Hey, Roadscholar. You have a mental disorder.

Ed, I believe Bmwdan may have been a participant on one of Bill's "rides" and this was meant as a compliment. ;):grin:

Pat

roadscholar
So how is your flip phone working for you?

You're riding a 12 y.o. V-Strom.

Actually I have a 12RT, GS, GSA, K12R, S, GT. I ride oilheads among others, because I choose to.

You, on the other hand will be riding a flip phone out of necessity awhile longer it appears. Other than injecting a little humor in this thread, that was my point.

roadscholar

Ed, I believe Bmwdan may have been a participant on one of Bill's "rides" and this was meant as a compliment. ;):grin:

If he only knew the half of it. :)

Hey, Roadscholar. You have a mental disorder.

Pat

Point taken.

Just keep in mind that readers unfamiliar with the inside story likely saw it as a slight.

For those that are considering a replacement aftermarket shock:

Do we know for sure that the shock itself is the problem? Could the problem be perhaps a mounting issue or maybe an electronic control issue or something else that causes the shock to fail? I'd hate to see someone buy an aftermarket shock if the OEM shock is a symptom but not the problem.

Regards, Ron C.

For those that are considering a replacement aftermarket shock:

Do we know for sure that the shock itself is the problem? Could the problem be perhaps a mounting issue or maybe an electronic control issue or something else that causes the shock to fail? I'd hate to see someone buy an aftermarket shock if the OEM shock is a symptom but not the problem.

Regards, Ron C.

All reports are it's a rod problem in the ESA shock itself. Non-ESA shocks are not affected so it's not a mounting issue.

Wilbers

Wilbers claims their replacement shock fixes the problem.

I think the pic is wrong and the problem is the rod in the strut itself.

Agreed. The plunger/piston rod is the problem and is a main, load-bearing component in all shock absorbers. Apparently, the plunger rod in the ESA version may have too many holes bored in it for the "semi-active" damping feature, it may not be hardened enough, or it may be too thin for the service required of it. Or all of the above.

Just had a good chat with Ted Porter... http://www.beemershop.com/

He has a very good handle on the issue and has two solutions. He has a standard shock that can be installed that is manually adjustable...just like the old days. That shock ia around $850 give or take a little bit. He thought the dealer should be able to install that shock within 1-2 hours labor. That makes it about a $1000-1100 cure and you can ride your bike now.

He has a full Dynamic replacement shock available. That shock is in the neighborhood of $1500-1600.

What we don't know for sure is will BMW still honor the compensation and will BMW require the old unit in whole to give compensation. The Dynamic shock Ted has requires moving the servo and electronics to the new shock.

I am going to call BMWNA Tuesday and lean on them very hard to allow me to exercise the option to get Ted's Dynamic Shock, have it installed by the dealer, honor the warranty and honor the compensation.

Ted's shock is a rebuildable shock and the BMW shock isn't.

No affiliation at all...just trying to figure out how to get back on the road since BMW isn't in that big of a hurry.

For those of you interested, I hope you will call and put pressure on BMWNA to accept this as a quick cure.

Regards,

I think I'm gonna spend it before I get it. Bad bad bad.

Fog lights

Head protectors (powder-coated black)

Sargent seat (when available)

That will pretty much use up what the wait for the fix offer is.

Tried to force the GSA option on myself but wasn't feeling it.

Pat

I had my 2014 R1200RT for one day before I got the stop ride call. BMW came and picked the bike up. The dealership kept me in the loop with as much as they knew at the time.

I was presented with the 3 options, 1) wait and get $2500 (with F bike as loaner) , 2) don't want - trade in at full purchase price, or 3) money back.

The only thing I would consider to trade in for would be a GTL Exclusive. He had one in the shop so I took it. Made the deal on Wednesday over the phone and picked the bike up Friday June 20th. I did not get any reduction in the price of the GTLE.

Hope you all make out okay.

Regards,

Len

Bill,

Ho Hum.

Only 365 riding days a year.

Unless it is leap year.

:rofl:

You unfortunately often have to venture into those barren wastelands where weather often dictates...

:rofl::rofl:

Need to go sharpen my pencil as my speech to write program is underperforming.

:grin:

See you down the road, most likely riding my out of date antique contraption.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

and for Greg H

:P:P :P :P

a nod to emoticom luddites

:Cool:

:wave:

I had my 2014 R1200RT for one day before I got the stop ride call. BMW came and picked the bike up. The dealership kept me in the loop with as much as they knew at the time.

I was presented with the 3 options, 1) wait and get $2500 (with F bike as loaner) , 2) don't want - trade in at full purchase price, or 3) money back.

The only thing I would consider to trade in for would be a GTL Exclusive. He had one in the shop so I took it. Made the deal on Wednesday over the phone and picked the bike up Friday June 20th. I did not get any reduction in the price of the GTLE.

Regards,

Len

Isn't the difference about 10 K?

Jay from BMWNA called me Friday and gave me a choice of 4 options as previously stated on this site. I elected to take the 2500 dollar option and BMW fix my RT. In addition he told me the supplier is ahead of schedule and it looks like BMW may have the parts in by mid July and may have my RT back on the road by late July. Nothing in stone just yet but does look promising. Personally I am pleased the way BMW is handling this issue and all the automotive industry should take a page from the BMW play book.

Darn, That's sooner than I thought.

Too late, I cancelled my RT order, and bought a '13 GTL.

Guess I will ride the GTL for two years and trade it for 2016 RT, unless I love the GTL (which I think is probably going to be the case.)

So now I have to second guess whether I should have waited for the RT. This was a darn frustrating, and uncertain mess. My wife would tell me to move on. It's kind of hard to when you are spending this kind of money for what will be for lot of people, a once in a lifetime purchase.

Not enamored with the make right now.

Got a 1600GT last Wednesday. Was supposed to go on a trip later this week so I put on 600 miles by Saturday for the check up. Halfway to dealer, 1600 crapped the bed. I could still ride it, but high beams, driving lights, turn signals, horn, radio and controller were out. Now the second trip I had planned got cancelled. Great. Now I have a loaner for my loaner. The 2008RT I originally traded in. Neighbors think I am opening up a dealership here.

Regards,

Len

$6,600.00 CDN

Regards,

Len

$6,600.00 CDN [/quote

4000USD

Got a 1600GT last Wednesday. Was supposed to go on a trip later this week so I put on 600 miles by Saturday for the check up. Halfway to dealer, 1600 crapped the bed. I could still ride it, but high beams, driving lights, turn signals, horn, radio and controller were out. Now the second trip I had planned got cancelled. Great. Now I have a loaner for my loaner. The 2008RT I originally traded in. Neighbors think I am opening up a dealership here.

That's just crazy, yet you're admirably calm about it. Crossing fingers that your loaner loaner doesn't crap out on you.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, and it s no laughing matter, but I have to admit I was on the floor with spastic laugh and hiccups....

Doug_Baliko

Regards,

Len

$6,600.00 CDN [/quote

4000USD

The Canadian dollar is .92c so that would be over $6000 usd.

Doug

Just got an generic email from BMW Motorrad. Option 4 is a bit vague but I'm going for it assuming it is a full refund for purchase price, accessories and taxes:

"Offer: BMW Motorrad USA will provide a refund for the RT in accordance with applicable state laws.

Timeframe: Approximately 30 days after receiving a signed repurchase agreement."

I've never heard of a company doing anything like this. This bike has been a struggle for me from the get go and this option is good resolution for me. Rather than walk away with a bad feeling, I'll be open minded for future considerations.

Dan

Dan. Not to rain on your parade but that option is anything but full refund. "In accordance with applicable state laws" means the "lemon law". Check the offset for use deduction carefully before you sign the bike back over. In Washington it is based on the bike going to "0" value in 25,000 miles. The simple math is that if you paid $25,000 the deduction is $1.00 per mile. Not sure if or what deduction applies to your state.

I would like to hear from the CDN riders what kind of options have you been getting from the dealer or BMW Canada. In my case I am suppose to received a K1600 GT from Motorad this week. Dealer told at the latest Wednesday, we are going away Friday for 5 days. He said the Bike was order last Tuesday and if it is not here by Wednesday he will loan me a 2014 K1600GT with sport package, floor model. Tried to get a 2013 R1200RT no luck.

Regards,

Len

$6,600.00 CDN [/quote

4000USD

The Canadian dollar is .92c so that would be over $6000 usd.

Doug

The RT was 23k and the GT was 27k. do the math.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, and it s no laughing matter, but I have to admit I was on the floor with spastic laugh and hiccups....

When some Romanian squatters occupy your home when you are on holiday, I will have the same reaction.

No its not a laughing matter,MOD EDIT FOR NAME CALLING.

Archived