IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

It's interesting that there's no mention of extending the warranty.

Agreed. I would expect they extend it by a year given that they will have sat in people's garages for several months with the factory warranty slowly ticking away.

I doubt that have a stockpile of them sitting around. In the US that won't be many since every one I have seen is ESA. So you are in the same position as the ESA parts. Wait for them to get manufactured.

I doubt that have a stockpile of them sitting around. In the US that won't be many since every one I have seen is ESA. So you are in the same position as the ESA parts. Wait for them to get manufactured.

Not exactly. You have one part that needs to be re-desiged, prototyped, tested, approved, manufactured and then shipped to the dealers worldwide. On the other hand you have a part that is good as-is, and you empty your supplier's warehouse and lean on them for extra production runs. Pretty quick to ramp that up.

In regards to the extra warranty:

I will be holding them to the extra 1 year warranty as me and others over here had been informed during the 1st call to us, i.e the "Stop Ride" call, that we will get an additional 1 year warranty and further info and other possible compensation and incentives will be provided, once more details is provided by Headquarters.

So the 3~4 options now provided to us is in "addition" to the earlier given extended warranty.

I have not been informed by BMW Australia or my dealer otherwise.

Companies don't warehouse parts anymore. Just in time inventory practices eliminated that years ago. Parts demand is mapped out in advance for same day arrival. I would not be surprised if the same vendor is manufacturing both parts. Which part would you rather have them working on?

I also don't see there being a lot of Non ESA bikes or parts out there. I would think worldwide people buying BMWs aren't buying the basic no frills models. Additionally I don't think on a model as new and successful as the 2014 RT BMW would be shipping basic bikes. They make more money off a fully loaded one. Until pent up demand is met for the model why would they be selling less profitable bikes?

Thanks for the compensation post, Teddy. I guess it all depends on the turnaround rate of the fix. If I knew mine were to be fixed in 2 weeks, I would wait for the 2500 bucks. If it will take 3 months, I want a loaner.

Does anyone know what happens should the plunger fail? Does oil leak from the shock? This is weird but when I brought mine in for the 600 mile check, they said the rear shock was leaking and that they would order one and replace it. Then all this other stuff occurred. Just wondering if I already blew the shock and have been riding on it as such.

As I understand it, this is a new frame. I doubt any after market companies have developed a new shock for a less than year old bike. What precentage of RT owners opt for after market shocks anyhow?

There is typically no aftermarket option until the model year comes off warranty. When early ESA systems failed, there was no after-market option because nobody would buy one when BMW replaced them for free. Once it comes out of your own pocket, after-market becomes more appealing. I doubt anyone is working on one for the 2014's.

Remember there is no forgiveness of your loan payment here. If it takes 10 months to resolve the problem that would about equal $2500 in payments. So they will pay us not to ride the RT for a while. You think that's such a good deal? And if you don't have payments there is the opportunity cost of those funds you could be using for something else. Like I said, this offer (if real) is something but it is not some fantastic honey pot of free money.

There has not been any mention of the status of the fix or any communications from BMW (to my knowledge). Crisis Management 101 today is transparency and responsibility. I see little of that from BMW to date.

Thanks for the compensation post, Teddy.

You can actually thank Hypeman for the picture. :)

I wonder if BMW Aus will be working off a similar scheme for us Aussies. Thinking about this more, if the turnaround is going to be a long time (and noone has any idea on ETA at this point in time) I will kindly ask for a loaner for the duration as I can't imagine not riding for a long period of time. My local dealer has no loaners just one loan bike reserved for people getting their bikes serviced.

So the loaner if approved will have to come from BMW Aus.

Most people in Aus ride all year round as we don't get any periods of time with snow on the ground like some European/US countries so a loan bike is of paramount importance if it is your only mode of transport.

Teddy

I talked with the dealer I bought mine from today. The issue seems a little worse than just a leak. The main load bearing piston shaft was either made from the wrong material or the hardening process was wrong or something but either way the piston and shaft can break.

And if you don't have payments there is the opportunity cost of those funds you could be using for something else.

It's pretty simple math, much like a lease calculation. I paid for it in cash, so I'm looking at lost investment gain (practically zero today for any safe investment options) and depreciation of the asset. The depreciation, if we assume a 65% residual after 3 years, is about $213 per month. The lost interest, even if assuming 3% which you'll be hard pressed to get today without assuming some risk, is $55 per month. So your total cost per month for keeping the bike sitting in your garage is $268. It would take your 10-month worst case scenario for your hypothesis to pan out. If I go with a hopefully more realistic August date then we'll come out ahead by a pretty significant margin.

Thanks for the illumination! I agree with your calculation and of course we don't know when the fix will be complete. I hope you're right about August but I am betting November or beyond.

Firefight911

If BMW were smart, I said IF, they'd not produce any more RTs under the '14 model year, spend all manner of resources and hire a fleet of individuals to go flog the daylights out of them, ferret out any other issues that haven't surfaced yet, fix them, and incorporate the updates for '15.

Well, since they already hired the riders (anyone who has a '14) I say they let you go ride them, and then take them back in December and present you with a new '15 for your troubles.

and? What is the worst that can happen? You lose dampening? I think mine has been busted since I bought it.

I have been wondering the same thing. Given the extreme measures they have taken I assume there is potential for catastrophic failure resulting in serious injury or death. If it was a matter of just getting stranded they would have likely handled it via a regular recall, not a call to cease all riding.

If BMW were smart...they'd not produce any more RTs under the '14 model year...and incorporate the updates for '15 model year

Interesting thought.

I've started to wonder if my order for a '14 will be delayed so long it actually ends up being a '15 RT. There's no word whatsoever for those of us with deposits sitting in BMWNA's bank account. My 10 week build status hasn't moved since I placed the order on May 17.

If BMW were smart, I said IF, they'd not produce any more RTs under the '14 model year, spend all manner of resources and hire a fleet of individuals to go flog the daylights out of them, ferret out any other issues that haven't surfaced yet, fix them, and.

Spoken like a man who has absolutely no idea how businesses work, no idea of the hard realities of engineering and has failed to think through any of the complexities of the issues involved. Ever heard of metal fatigue? Guess not. You can't find that out by hiring a 'fleet of individuals'.

Think that Boeing or Airbus you fly on is faultless - think again.

Thank heavens you aren't the boss of anything important.

and? What is the worst that can happen?

You crash badly, kill or maim an innocent bystander and then find out that your insurance is invalid because you were riding an unroadworthy vehicle and had ignored the manufacturer's instruction to stop riding. You go to gaol for your reckless behaviour and you are bankrupted by the lawsuits flowing from the family you bereaved.

Firefight911
If BMW were smart, I said IF, they'd not produce any more RTs under the '14 model year, spend all manner of resources and hire a fleet of individuals to go flog the daylights out of them, ferret out any other issues that haven't surfaced yet, fix them, and.

Spoken like a man who has absolutely no idea how businesses work, no idea of the hard realities of engineering and has failed to think through any of the complexities of the issues involved. Ever heard of metal fatigue? Guess not. You can't find that out by hiring a 'fleet of individuals'.

Think that Boeing or Airbus you fly on is faultless - think again.

Thank heavens you aren't the boss of anything important.

And, you, clearly, have no idea who you are speaking of, to, about, etc. but I digress.

Phil's talking about marketing, PR and getting ahead of the bad publicity. That is smart no matter what form it takes. And why are you so defensive for a company that is responsible for 8000 riders being off their bikes for an indefinite period of time? You do own a 2014 RT, right?

Been gone a few days....looks like lots going on relative to this issue.

So...I have no knowledge of the K1600GT other than size or weight. As I contemplate my options to trade with BMW, what are some ot the known issues with the 1600's.

So...I have no knowledge of the K1600GT other than size or weight. As I contemplate my options to trade with BMW, what are some ot the known issues with the 1600's.

You should ride it if you haven't already. It's an amazing bike and carries its weight very well, with an engine that seems to have endless power. That said, for me it didn't have the character of the boxer and I decided to pass when I rode it a year ago and was happy to keep my 07 RT. The new RT, on the other hand, was exactly what I had hoped for. I'm waiting this out.

Who are you? Stephen King? LOL. And we don't have any jaols here. I suspect I am already on a blown shock. When I took the bike in for its 600 mile check, they said the shock was leaking and they would order me a new one. They never called back until the recall. I suspect that they have know about this more than 10 days.

Your best bet would be to check the K1600 threads. I have no first hand experience with the problems, but have read about water pump failures that where very common, but likely fixed by now. There have been a couple of cases of cracked pistons. This problem is fairly rare and the source of this particular problem is unknown from what I can tell. Also K1600s have been reported to eat tires.

All that being said I have test driven one and was blown away by the acceleration and smoothness of the engine. But for me the new boxer has the right combination of performance, weight, and is generally a better combined in town and highway machine.

Like others have said you may want to test drive if you haven't already.

Yes I do own an 2014 RT. I rode it for just 2 weeks (800 miles) before the ban. I love the bike and I'm disappointed about what's happened. BUT I'm not whining. Shit happens and, in this particular case BMW Europe are bending over backwards to make things as good as possible for their customers.

My view is that if you don't like it quit whining, hand the bike back to BMW and go ride something else.

Hi, has anyone in Europe had any form of response from BMW? I know the USA customers seem to have been dealt with quite quickly but here in the UK there has been no official word since the original stop notice. Has anyone heard anything different?

BitScribbler

As of this morning my dealer has heard nothing, so I rang BMW Customer Services directly. They say they have no details like the US paper, no news on when a fix is expected, and that they could only discuss compensation etc after the bikes have been fixed. I pointed out that owners could not possibly make any plans until we had some time-scales, but they wouldn't budge, just continued to apologise but not able to give any further information at this time.

It seems our US friends are getting a much better reaction, unless of course that's because all the first new shocks off the production line are staying in Europe!

I suggest you too ring customer services directly. It can't do any harm to put them under pressure to provide some information.

Front end bushing squeak

Weeping water pump

Switchgear failures

Believe me, I had to think pretty hard to remember those faults. The low speed weight will be noticeable over the RT but, the music that six makes is intoxicating. Ride one. I have not spoke to the dealer yet about my options.

Pat

As of this morning my dealer has heard nothing, so I rang BMW Customer Services directly. They say they have no details like the US paper, no news on when a fix is expected, and that they could only discuss compensation etc after the bikes have been fixed. I pointed out that owners could not possibly make any plans until we had some time-scales, but they wouldn't budge, just continued to apologise but not able to give any further information at this time.

It seems our US friends are getting a much better reaction, unless of course that's because all the first new shocks off the production line are staying in Europe!

I suggest you too ring customer services directly. It can't do any harm to put them under pressure to provide some information.

Once again we see that in comparison to our Aussie and American friends,the UK is getting screwed over on the customer care front (nothing unusual there as we do a very poor job of it). However I had expected more support, help, advice, and information pertaining to this issue by now.

We have had a week for the BMW Corporate to absorb the enormity of this worldwide problem. These people are grown up and we dont expect a knee jerk reaction, but customers buy these machines as a form of dependable transport. I expect nothing less than the very best support from BMW and frankly BitScribbler has demonstrated that we are not getting that.

Can I implore all UK owners who are affected my this to do their bit for ALL UK BMW customers and call the UK BMW Support lines and talk of their needs, problems and disappointments. We need to see some more response by now.

BirScribbler, could you post the UK BMW contact details for others to use?

We'll, I've just been talking to customer service in the UK and, it must be that BMW Europe aren't giving them information as surely no one could be that unhelpful otherwise. Contact details are Telephone: 0870 5050 160 if you want to register your displeasure. I'd suggest that the UK habit of not complaining is not likely to be helpful here.

I spoke with my dealer yesterday who didn't have a clue and says he has had no information at all since the stop notice. BMW Customer Service say the dealer has all the information available and I should speak with him. The bad thing is, this is my 4th RT and previously I would have highly recommended BMW for their customer service. To say I am disappointed with the sporadic nature of their response is an understatement.

BitScribbler
Can I implore all UK owners who are affected my this to do their bit for ALL UK BMW customers and call the UK BMW Support lines and talk of their needs, problems and disappointments. We need to see some more response by now.

Please, everybody in the UK, AndyS is correct. Call them! As Davejr1200 has already posted, 0870 5050 160. The response is simply inadequate; the more people who call, the better.

I opted for the loaner but .... I can not get it.

My insurance company (major Company with lizard) said that they will not cover the loaner as defined by BMW and that is just not how it works ever no how no way. I am in Florida. Anyone else run into this? Next option .... Not sure yet.

Keeping my RTW. After forty one years and nine BMW’s later the R1200RTW is a keeper. And BMW will do the right thing.

1-R75/6, 2-R80RT’s, 2-K100RT’s, 1-R1150RT, 1-1200LT 1-R1200RT, 1-R1200RTW and first repair required beyond recommended service.

I opted for the loaner but .... I can not get it.

My insurance company (major Company with lizard) said that they will not cover the loaner as defined by BMW and that is just not how it works ever no how no way. I am in Florida. Anyone else run into this? Next option .... Not sure yet.

This is odd, I would have thought if your car broke down and you needed a loner (car rental), your insurance should still be valid on the rental car. When I travel and have to rent a car, I never purchase extra insurance from the rental company as I already have insurance. I didn't think that the insurance company policies would be that different between countries.

correct but the way BMW worded it is not how it works. My insurance is only liability for the loaner and they are secondary. According to lizard, that is how it works.

Only one problem with this. Ohlins does not make a shock for a 2014RT yet. Just got off the phone with them. Maybe 4 weeks if lucky.

correct but the way BMW worded it is not how it works. My insurance is only liability for the loaner and they are secondary. According to lizard, that is how it works.

If you are only coved for liability I can understand your loner issue. If you wreck it they want to be compensated and I can't blame them. If the bike was financed liability only wouldn’t be satisfactory either.

Jay

Have you called Wibers? I've had Ohlins in the past and have

Wilbers now. I would take Wibers everytime.

Wilbers did not have one either. Waiting on response from Hyperpro.

Archived