IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

a reduction in engine power or an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash

And then there is this

the motorcycle can unexpectedly lose propulsion, which increases the risk of a crash.

I then expect BMW to start recalling the bikes for the fuel strip issues.. as they may also loose propulsion when the bikes run out of gas.

a reduction in engine power or an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash

And then there is this

the motorcycle can unexpectedly lose propulsion, which increases the risk of a crash.

I then expect BMW to start recalling the bikes for the fuel strip issues.. as they may also loose propulsion when the bikes run out of gas.

I can't decide if that is funny or mean. Butt anyway the lawyer got ya, low fuel indicator... To be real honest a lot folks with fuel strip issue just need calibration. What to say about bikes without fuel gauges, just hope for the best :) (bad trip meter)

Jay

Morning Jay

Low fuel indicator only comes on if the strip fails in the empty mode. 4 of my 6 strip failures have failed showing a 1/2 or more of fuel with NO low fuel light.

Re-calibration won't repair them, it takes a new fuel strip THEN a dry strip re-calibration.

My bad I didn’t think that on all the way through. Recalibration only works if the strip in good condition. I have seen strip failures blamed on ethanol.

Jay

I have just sold all my BMWs.

Thank you for your most informative and well researched post.

Glad I could be of help. :wave:

Well I just got home from a 6 day vacation out of the country and I see I have a voicemail from my salesman from Thursday 3 days ago. I guess I will have to call the dealer Tuesday when they open.

Hi John

I am not as upset as a lot of others appear to be.

But I can tell you that my wife was NOT happy, as we ride together (she has her own bike).

I accepted the fact before even purchasing the bike that there might be issues here or there, as this is the 1st generation absolute cutting edge from the ground up new design boxer.

As much as I love it, this is not my only transport, so to me it's not such a big deal.

I can see others to be a lot more upset as they might be missing out on planned trips, holidays etc.

Failure are common in today's world. My work vehicle just had a safety alert at work. On one of our vehicles, the front cross member had cracked all the way through...this is a 4WD!!

My very expensive Smart TV lasted 4 days when problems started. It then took 2 repair attempts and a total of 4 weeks to have it finally replaced.

Our Grand Carnival, top of the line with leather seats, electric sliding doors etc, had unfix-able wheel alignment issues from day 1.

I can give you another dozen examples of failures that should have never happened.

I am really not trying to excuse it, just trying to give our existing issue some down to earth perspective.

Just remember.

Just ten years ago, a car cost you a years salary.

Today I can buy 3-4 midsize cars.

Same with the bikes. They are in a very competitive market where 2~3 years of testing on the road just isn't possible anymore.

Hi Alfred02,

I have a new Grand Cherokee, which has had 2 recalls so far. A third is on its way for the brake booster. Previous vehicle was a Toyota Prado (1 recall in 8 years). The difference in attitude between manufacturers when these sorts of things happen is striking. Jeep Australia is very much like BMW Australia - hopeless, bordering on incompetent. I wish my salary could buy me 3-4 midsize cars :rofl:

Having owned various BMW bikes ove the past 30 years, I'm highly experienced in dealing with BMW Australia :dopeslap: Getting a satisfactory resolution over the fuel strip on my 09 was more painful than having root-canal. :mad:

So now when choosing a vehicle, be it a bike or car, I research existing owners' satisfaction with their purchase. As you wrote, things break and I accept that, but it's how the manufacturer remedies the situation that counts big-time with me. My Jeep is so much better than the previous Prado in every way and I really love driving it. However, when the time comes to replace it I'll probably not buy another - purely based on Jeep Australia's attitude.

My wife generally rides pillion, so rear seat comfort is paramount to her. I've been bikeless for a couple of years, so we both went to check out the new RT. Haven't ridden it yet, but the ergonomics of a 'sit on it' (sorry Ritchie) in the showroom gives me the impression that it's much better than my previous '09. So we're both keen on the RT.

I had reservations regarding whether this new model RT would have problems. Before this problem arose, the little voice inside my head said "wait till next year's model has the bugs ironed out". Perhaps it was right....

So now I have 2 choices: Wait till next year and see how this new bike beds into the market before buying one, or choose another brand :) A bike is a discretionary spend for me too, so there's no rush.

Choices, choices :grin:

I'm in a similar situation to you, John. My RT arrives in July.

I haven't paid any money, and will be watching this with much interest...

Perhaps a related question I have about the '14 RT's rear suspension: Why (and by what physical mechanism) does the dynamic ESA shock go totally rigid when the bike's ignition is turned off (and hence the esa computer). What is the engineering purpose of designing it to do so as opposed to having some nominal un-metered shock flexibility when powered off?

Dennis Andress
Perhaps a related question I have about the '14 RT's rear suspension: Why (and by what physical mechanism) does the dynamic ESA shock go totally rigid when the bike's ignition is turned off (and hence the esa computer). What is the engineering purpose of designing it to do so as opposed to having some nominal un-metered shock flexibility when powered off?

Basic German Engineering: Don't use one part where seven will do.

Spoke to a UK dealer today. They have 35 bikes to fix out of a national UK population of 465, out of global 8000! Said part availability will be the main issue. Reckons June is def scrapped, possibly the summer.

I m thinking of asking them if under the circumstances a customer (me) could possibly pay the difference for a superior ESA type fitment from say Ohlins? I.e BMW pays for the swap and towards the price of the Ohlins up to the point of the OE Marzocrap, then guarantees the Ohlins part as if it was OE. Thoughts anyone?

Guest Kakugo
I m thinking of asking them if under the circumstances a customer (me) could possibly pay the difference for a superior ESA type fitment from say Ohlins? I.e BMW pays for the swap and towards the price of the Ohlins up to the point of the OE Marzocrap, then guarantees the Ohlins part as if it was OE. Thoughts anyone?

Two problems with that.

1)Warranty jobs are only covered if you use OE parts to replace OE parts. BMW will refund dealers labor only if they install BMW-supplied parts to replace OE.

2)Wilbers already has Dynamic ESA shocks available for the GS-LC but still not for the RT-LC and GSA-LC. Also remember the WESA system implies removing the electrics and electronics from the OE shock and installing them on the Wilbers shock...

I think this is a great question (maybe should be on another thread?)

I don't think it is so the bike will be lower, by any means. Mine certainly doesn't lower itself when turning off the ignition. I'm guessing it is a characteristic of electronic suspendors? When the juice is on the suspension becomes active and the reverse when keyed off? I try to make sure I turn the ignition off while I'm still weighing the bike down.

Be good if anyone can clarify exactly what is happening here or give link to an existing thread.

Thanks.

Dan

Depends on your state in Missouri, motorcycles are specifically excluded.

Tennessee's Lemon Law includes motorcycles. The following conditions apply:

-Does not conform to the manufacturer's express warranty

-Has substantial defects affecting the safety or value of the motorcycle

-Has manufacturer's defects that occurred during the first year from the delivery date or the expiration of the warranty (whichever period ends first)

-Has been taken in four times for the same problem or has been out of service for a cumulative total of 30 calendar days

-The manufacturer has been notified in writing of the defect within one year from the delivery date or the expiration of the warranty (whichever period ends first), and has had a final opportunity to repair the motorcycle

-You have participated in the manufacturer's informal arbitration program, if one exists

I am counting down 30 calendar days from last Thursday, June 5.

If customer notification regarding a recall is not planned until July, it's probably very likely that repairs will not begin to take place until August at the earliest. Sigh.

Thank you Mike for posting the letter to dealers - it helps to know that I've got one of the 804 affected here in the U.S. The context helps. Won't be planning any trips for a while....

I called the number above and spoke to someone from BMW. She did not know when the parts would be available or when they will be scheduling the work. She asked me twice what my request were and then said a third time to think about it and get back to her with my requests. She said she now has me on file and will update it with my requests. Has anyone else requested anything like a loaner bike,extended warranty or that BMW buy their bike back?

Maybe it's just me but in reading through this thread with people cancelling trips, considering themselves stranded away from home, unable to use a new bike, etc... it would seem that the actual chance of a failure occurring in any single bike is not that high, and in the (only two?) cases reported the bike was apparently controllable as there were no injuries. I'm not sure that this would keep me off the bike, and if I happened to be away from home I certainly wouldn't consider myself stranded... unless there's a lot more to this that we don't know.

hmm.... really? Perhaps if you had one and were 'on notice' you'd consider more carefully. As painful as it is, mine hasn't left the garage and won't until it is transported to the shop for the rear strut replacement. 2 out of 8,000 are small odds, but if BMW aka Blemished Motor Werks has pulled the plug, someone is pretty sure those two ain't the only ones gonna break.

hmm.... really? Perhaps if you had one and were 'on notice' you'd consider more carefully.

No, given the 0.03% failure rate I'd feel exactly as I stated above and over a 1,000-mile trip would be more worried about the risk to my safety of a flat tire than a collapsed strut. I'm not saying that I wouldn't get it attended to as soon as convenient, but looking at it objectively there's any number of things that are a far greater risk to your safety every time you ride any motorcycle, and those will be there even after the strut is replaced. People (and corporations) are funny about risk perception.

Given the 0.03% failure rate I'd feel exactly as I stated above and over a 1,000-mile trip would be more worried about the risk to my safety of a flat tire than a collapsed strut. I'm not saying that I wouldn't get it attended to as soon as convenient, but looking at it objectively there's any number of things that are a far greater risk to your safety every time you ride any motorcycle, and those will be there even after the strut is replaced. People (and corporations) are funny about risk perception.

Evening Seth

That is my exact sentiments.

I just went on a trip this last weekend with a friend of mine.

He usually has a few bikes but at this time he is down to one (his new 2014 RT) & we had this trip planned for a while now.

He was scared to death to ride the 2014 RT bike due to all the recall talk & certain death.

So I traded him my older 1200Rt for his nice new 2104Rt & we went on the trip. It made him feel at ease & I got a chance to put some miles on a 14RT.

I only though about that rear shock once on the entire trip & that was right after I had the rear of the darn bike step sideways in a decreasing radius curve that I entered at about twice the posted speed limit.

Otherwise an uneventful & pleasant trip.

If I owned a 2014 RT no way I wouldn't be riding it until the new shock came in.

So I traded him my older 1200Rt for his nice new 2104Rt & we went on the trip. It made him feel at ease & I got a chance to put some miles on a 14RT.

Now that is a great idea. Gotta find me one of those guys... :grin:

Maybe it's just me but in reading through this thread with people cancelling trips, considering themselves stranded away from home, unable to use a new bike, etc... it would seem that the actual chance of a failure occurring in any single bike is not that high, and in the (only two?) cases reported the bike was apparently controllable as there were no injuries. I'm not sure that this would keep me off the bike, and if I happened to be away from home I certainly wouldn't consider myself stranded... unless there's a lot more to this that we don't know.

Right there with you Seth. I'd keep an eye on it, but I'd ride it.

So who is liable if the strut fails? BMW said stay off the bike and so if it fails then you're out of luck. I don't even expect your insurance would pay for damage and medical in that case. Riding the bike when BMW says not to is a stupid idea.

So here is the financial arguement for not riding it, at least in Washington State. Yes, there is a Lemon Law, it kicks in after 30-days. But, there is an "offset for use" deduction based on the number of miles on the odo. Bikes amortize to zero in 25,000 miles. Cars are 120,000 miles. The simple math is a buck a mile.

I did not receive any information of a recall. Just a sales guy who wanted to pick my bike up with no information on when it would be fixed or how it would be fixed.

Really? So we are supposed to go a season with no motorcycle after spending 23K? I called BMW NA today and asked if I could get a loaner? Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Could I turn the bike back in for a GS? Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Can I install an Olins? No. You have to use BMW OEM shocks? You mean the ones that might kill me? Ahhhh. Idiots. I will ride mine and roll the dice.

I did all of the above. Talked to some no one. Read my post. 1st one on page 15. .03 of 8000 bikes sold is 240. And at what point will the failure occur? I am going to take my chances.

Really? So we are supposed to go a season with no motorcycle after spending 23K? I called BMW NA today and asked if I could get a loaner? Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Could I turn the bike back in for a GS? Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Can I install an Olins? No. You have to use BMW OEM shocks? You mean the ones that might kill me? Ahhhh. Idiots. I will ride mine and roll the dice.
What about the risk to other road users? I suppose it varies country by country what the penalties are for causing injury or death by riding a vehicle you know to be not road worthy.
What about the risk to other road users? I suppose it varies country by country what the penalties are for causing injury or death by riding a vehicle you know to be not road worthy.

That Dave is an excellent point and one that nobody had considered yet.

Well done.

Let's first acknowledge that this whole mess just occurred, with the word going out last Thursday. I'd hope that BMW would come up with an answer that would really serve the interests of its customers. But, how to effectively deal with this, in a manner that ensures safety and yet gets owners back on the road quickly, is vexing.

It'll be interesting to see if they figure out an acceptable answer for people in your position. The basic purpose of an RT is to be ridden on the road, and, for some, it may be their primary (or only) means of transportation. It doesn't seem to be a very satisfactory answer to simply assure people, "We'll eventually fix it, but in the meanwhile you absolutely can't ride it." Let's hope they come up with a better response quickly.

So I have one of the affected RT's. I leave tomorrow on a 5,000 mile trip with Limecreek and will take my Moto Guzzi instead of the RT. My wife and I have planned a ride up the Cali coast in July, another 5,000 mile trip. Doesn't look like the bike will be fixed in time for that either. Dealer called me and gave me a BMW customer service number to call. I called them and spoke to Grant who told me there was no recall on my bike. After I explained the recall he put me hold and came back after 5 minutes and said yes there was a recall and I should wait for the letter that was being mailed, further instructions would be included in that letter.

Are you kidding me??????? BMW has got their head up their up their arse.

My understanding is the NHTSA rules/laws/processes govern how this plays out in the US. Manufacturers cannot simply just issue a recall letter. They have to go through the government hoops, have plan of action with dates, etc, and that takes weeks or months.

My understanding is the NHTSA rules/laws/processes govern how this plays out in the US. Manufacturers cannot simply just issue a recall letter. They have to go through the government hoops, have plan of action with dates, etc, and that takes weeks or months.
Quite true ... from the NHTSA site:

Each notification letter must contain the following information:

describe the defect or noncompliance;

the risk or hazard posed by the problem, including any warning of the problem;

a brief description of the free remedy, including when the remedy will be available and how long the repair will take; and

a description of what the owner can do if the owner is unable to have the problem corrected within a reasonable time and without charge.

Given our litigious society, anything that is contained in the letter is open to tremendous scrutiny so manufacturers hesitate to move quickly with public plans. Don't make it right, just the way it is today.

I was due to pick mine up on Saturday, dealer called Friday with the news. I waited many years for this so just a little peeved, I will continue riding the faithful Yamaha. We will see how keen BMW and the dealer are to get their hands on my $27,000 but if weeks become months I might just look elsewhere.

Geoff

Interesting--

From 2014RT initial release date to 6/4/2014 these bikes were happily sailing along putting on mile after happy mile with riders pushing the bike to near it's limits & weaving through traffic care free with a smile on their face.

Wake up on 6/5/2014 & overnight the very same bikes suddenly became a death trap with potential for instant death & great harm to others on the road.

WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING HERE?

I guess the riders that didn't get the memo are still happily riding along happy as clams & still enjoying their new bikes!

Archived