IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

BitScribbler

I just took a call from my dealer, who has told me, with immediate effect, that I must not ride my '14 R1200RT. BMW UK have issued a notice to say that all such bikes featuring ESA (which will be most, I'd hazard a guess) are not to be used until further notice.

It's not April 1, and I know the person who rang me. My European trip looms less than 2 weeks away. Not impressed? No, me neither. I await further information.

Morning BitScribbler

Interesting info-- Let us know what the problem turns out to be.

I have heard of some front end wobble issues on the water cooled GS but first time hearing anything suspension-wise on the RT.

There have been a flurry of posts on the BMW MOA Facebook group's page. One of the individuals who's confirmed this is with BMW of Atlanta and says it does apply to U.S. units, too.

There hasn't been any description of the problem yet, as far as I've seen.

I would think 95% of the new RT's out there have the Dynamic Pkg....and 100% have the Dynamic ESA.... not good

Quoted from MCN---

"BMW has issued an urgent instruction to all owners of 2014 BMW R1200RT owners fitted with the Dynamic ESA electronic suspension system to stop riding their motorcycles with immediate effect.

The problem concerns the rear suspension system and the potential failure of the plunger rod assembly inside. The instruction to stop riding motorcycles only relates to the 2014 model of the RT; the bike with the updated water-cooled boxer engine that was launched just a few months ago and only those models with the Dynamic ESA suspension option fitted.

A statement from BMW reads: "We regret to inform you that with immediate effect all 2014 R 1200 RT with Dynamic ESA must not be ridden. At this moment, we cannot guarantee that the plunger rod assembly for the rear suspension unit will not fail.

"Customers of affected machines will be contacted by their dealer immediately and asked not to ride their motorcycle. Whilst this is extremely disappointing for our customers their safety is BMW Motorrad's priority."

BMW dealers are currently contacting the 500-or so UK owners to explain the situation and work out how affected motorcycles will be fixed."

Interesting, I bent my front rim (14 RT) hitting the same pothole on I 84 as did a 2006 RT and a Ninja. Unlucky, or could it have been a suspension issue? :S

Pat

Interesting, I bent my front rim (14 RT) hitting the same pothole on I 84 as did a 2006 RT and a Ninja. Unlucky, or could it have been a suspension issue? :S

Morning Pat

Usually just a little lower on tire pressure. If the tire deflects in far enough when you hit the pothole edge it can easily bend a rim.

Morning Pat

Usually just a little lower on tire pressure. If the tire deflects in far enough when you hit the pothole edge it can easily bend a rim.

Thanks DR, that's most likely the answer but, fishin' is fishin'! :grin:

Pat

Jeff in VA

I got the same call from my dealer - do not ride. They do t have enough info from BMW to know the exact problem, the fix or the timing.

Just had a call 50 miles from home whilst at work on the bike, bike was picked up within 10 minutes of calling BMW recovery - now need to figure out alternative transport!

I wonder if dealers/BMW will be issuing refunds for those paid for but not yet delivered?

would suck to pay for a new bike and then be told you cant ride it for weeks....

Just got the call from my dealer...it's true. I live 5 miles from dealer and they don't want me to ride it in. They are coming to get it....Arghhh

No fix from BMW available right now. Dealer waiting on instructions from the motherland...

P.S. By the way, what is a plunger rod for the rear assembly?

Glenn Reed
"Can't ride it for weeks" - where is this info coming from?

My guess is that he is inferring from the "don't ride it" and "we don't have a fix yet" statements, that the time these owners are without their bikes will not just be a couple of days. But that's just me inferring that. :dopeslap:

clip--

P.S. By the way, what is a plunger rod for the rear assembly?

Afternoon Skywagon

My guess would be the long rod that that attaches the top of the shock to the inter piston (the rod that goes in & out when you hit a bump)

Joe Frickin' Friday
My guess would be the long rod that that attaches the top of the shock to the inter piston (the rod that goes in & out when you hit a bump)

So I wonder what the failure mode is that they're so concerned about? Two that I can think of:

-failure at the connection between the rod and the piston resulting in complete loss of damping. You may suddenly find your bike riding like The Beast from "Uncle Buck:"

the%20beast.jpg

OR

-failure at the connection between the rod and the bike, in which case - if the shock becomes dislocated - it could rub against the tire and lock up the wheel, or completely slip out of place allowing the suspension to collapse and let the weight of the bike bear directly against the top of the tire. Either way, this would not end well.

Thankfully I don't have a 2014 RT, but I'll be very curious as to the specifics of what they're so concerned about.

"Can't ride it for weeks" - where is this info coming from?

i am only speculating that since it's obviously a hardware issue and not a software issue... they are going to need a heck of a supply of replacement parts... do you know how many RT's were sold so far this year?? Plenty!!

i really hope everyone is up and running very, very quickly... i was only saying if i had just paid for a new bike and hadnt yet taken delivery and was then told it is unridable, i would expect a refund to persue other options if that was my choice... or wait patiently for a fix... this is June... the beginning of the peak riding/touring season....

Approx 500 bike in the UK at the moment, given that our local dealer has servicing fully booked out until the 22nd June, this may take a while especially if there has to be a modified shock developed, manufactured and fitted!

biometrics

Some R1200RT owners other forums are reporting that you need to call your dealer and give them your VIN to verify if you are part of the stop riding order.

Apparently some 2013 models with ESA option may also be affected.

all speculation right now, but suspect a manufacturing defect in the shock. I am hopeful the manufacture of the shock can get a bunch out in the market place quickly. I don't know how complicated it is from a labor perspective to change it out e.g. 1 hour or 10 hours....

I just sold my other two bikes so now I am bikeless.....with two trips planned later this month.

Just got the call from my dealer. They said if the plunger rod fails it will dump fluid on the rear tire.

Pat

Just got the call from my dealer. They said if the plunger rod fails it will dump fluid on the rear tire.

Pat

Yeah, but then the ASC and ABS would kick in so no harm no foul.

;)

(This sucks)

Big Ben is not a happy camper. Who thinks BMW will offer any compensation if this thing takes weeks or months to fix? Not!

All that really matters right now is that no one get's hurt. I'm grateful BMW didn't hide a life threatening deficiency. We don't need a motorcycle version of what GM is going through.

Guys, this is not for all 2014 RTs... there is a specific VIN range and my dealer just confirmed that my Feb 22 delivery date RT (with ESA) is NOT affected. I am good. So for some us, we can ride on. For others, it has got to bite. Sorry guys.

with immediate effect all 2014 R 1200 RT with Dynamic ESA must not be ridden

In other words - TADT!

This is, I believe, the BMW press release:

As of today, BMW Motorrad is notifying all owners of the current R 1200 RT, model year 2014, fitted with the Dynamic ESA option that there is a potential defect in the rear spring strut. At the present time it cannot be ruled out that the piston rod of the rear spring strut in connection with the Dynamic ESA option could potentially break. For this reason, customers are requested not to ride their motorcycle until further notice. This is a precautionary measure which BMW Motorrad is taking in the interests of customer safety based on a supplier report. To date there have been no injuries related to this issue. Approximately 8,000 vehicles are affected by this measure worldwide.

A technical campaign is in preparation to replace the part in question. BMW Motorrad regrets any inconvenience caused to customers affected by this precautionary measure.

cali_beemer

Damn, this looks like an extremely serious issue if BMW is going so far as to tell people to stop riding right this minute and picking the bike up where you are. I was considering a new 14 before buying the connie and very happy now I didn't.

My guess, simply a guess is this is much bigger than losing the oil in the shock. I think Joe Frickin Friday is probably more accurate.

Yep, just got the call myself as my bike is in the VIN number range.

Just swell. Now I have to borrow my neighbor's Harley (2010 with 1900 miles) until mine gets "fixed".

I don't believe he will be letting me borrow his BMW K1600, just the Harley that got parked.

The shame of it all.

AD

Sweet...

I can put money on it that when I call my dealer this morning, he will have heard nothing about it and won't know what I am talking about.

For some reason my dealer (or more likely BMW Australia) seem to be weeks/months behind the rest of the world to hear about updates.

Is there a way that I can find out if we are affected? I would be very surprised if we wouldn't be as I can't see BMW having a different suspension system for specific countries.

Sounds more like the piston rod in the rear shock can break. Dealer called me and said they would call later today or tomorrow with more news and a solution. I am at work and did ride the RT today. Since I have 1100 miles on it I am not worried about 30 more to make it home.

Alan

Afternoon Alfred

This one sounds different than the standard BMW evasion, retreat, & denial that they usually take.

This one also sounds like a non-government forced recall so my guess is that a few riders might have been hurt with this failure already.

Just when I finished planning a weekend trip through the Cascades(WA) this morning and I got the call from the Vancouver dealer!! Damn!!

I wonder if this has something to do with the rear wheel wobble/tail spin I experienced I had discussed in a different thread sometime back. There were was one more rider who had experienced the similar sensation on the highway.

Hope it gets fixed soon. We all are going to some precious riding time meanwhile!!

Just had a look at the German forum: "rt-freunde.de"

Everybody in Germany is being notified to stop riding immediately!!

Danger of the piston rod "braking".

Further news to come from BMW on the 12-06-2014.

Might have to become a forum member and get my rusty native language a workout.

Interesting day today. I walked into my dealer today for a different issue to find two RTs with SOLD stickers on them and their customers unable to ride them away. My salesman hands me the memo and says it's your call too ride home or not. With just shy of 6k on the clock I decided to ride her home. I sure hope this gets settled out before June 16th :dopeslap:

This one also sounds like a non-government forced recall so my guess is that a few riders might have been hurt with this failure already.

Yes, if BMW is actually doing something preemptively before being forced then they must really be scared of something. Or all the recent GM stuff caught their notice.

To me this reads as a Notice of Escapement from one of the process houses. Likely a process specification and related testing was lost in the translation from engineering requirements to the manufacturing engineering plans. Pick your mode of transportation it happens in all the industries and all manufacturers; don't ask how I know.

Apparently some 2013 models with ESA option may also be affected.

any more details on this? fact or fiction??

Afternoon kgerry

Try calling your dealer as they should have an (effected vehicle) list by now.

Was due to pick mine up tomorrow morning. Had the call this afternoon :(

Already changed insurance and all that stuff ready for tomorrow.

No idea of next update :( :( :(

Afternoon kgerry

You really need to keep on your dealer about your bike but so far the info I have seen seems to point to ESA waterhead bikes, so that sort of points to the 2014RT & maybe the 2013/14GS.

But time will tell if the problem is carried over into the 2013RT.

Sent Mike the Mod's notification/linky via E to a friend of mine with a 14 RT. Also called him, just in case he was out on his bike!

Dave heard about it this morning. He just returned from a "shake down" 4k road trip on his RT and it ran flawlessly. He said he received a call from Lone Star BMW in Austin this morning telling him not to ride it and that they will send someone out to pick it up from his house.

I must give BMW some props for this....but it appears it will seriously dent this years earnings!!!!

I've been on the phone with BMW North America; the representative I spoke with says he will attempt to set me up with a loaner bike in the interim as my sole source of transport is my bike. He also stated they had an internal conference call on this matter in regards to supporting their customers. As an eternal optimist I’m hoping they step up to the plate, it would go a long way in customer relations. Let’s see if they can make some lemonade.

I got the call the moment my Dealer opened this morning. Mine was in the garage, I picked it up Tuesday. I do have another bike to ride at least.

Archived