IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

I am covered fully on my bike. When I am on someone else's bike the only thing covered is liability. No option. That is just the way it is. Dealer is checking into it further.

I am covered fully on my bike. When I am on someone else's bike the only thing covered is liability. No option. That is just the way it is. Dealer is checking into it further.

What’s the name of your insurance company? I don’t have experience renting bikes but I know for a fact my car insurance cover me on car rentals. Folks in Texas are getting bikes without this hassle.

I wish you the best that really sucks

Jay

I opted for the loaner but .... I can not get it.

My insurance company (major Company with lizard) said that they will not cover the loaner as defined by BMW and that is just not how it works ever no how no way. I am in Florida. Anyone else run into this? Next option .... Not sure yet.

I called the home office of my insurance company this morning and that was one of the questions I had. They verified that a temporary replacement vehicle would be covered the same as the vehicle it replaces.

Another question I had was would my company provide coverage if I continued to ride the bike after the company's stop ride order. The company said if the cause of the accident could be traced back to the shock, any claim could be denied. While loosing the bike would sux, the third party lawsuit would be worse.

What’s the name of your insurance company? I don’t have experience renting bikes but I know for a fact my car insurance cover me on car rentals. Folks in Texas are getting bikes without this hassle.

Jay

I am in Texas and I am not getting a loaner because the Fort Worth BMW dealer told me they don't give loaners. I did call BMW and was told they would see what they could do and I would hear back in three to five business days. What are others doing to get the loaners?

Alan

I called and got the same response today. 3-5 days on further details.

Apparently there are a very few select dealers offering loaners not sanctioned under this issue.

Time will tell but patience is a bit thin for me.

Jay

I am in Texas and I am not getting a loaner because the Fort Worth BMW dealer told me they don't give loaners. I did call BMW and was told they would see what they could do and I would hear back in three to five business days. What are others doing to get the loaners?

Alan

Alan. One call from BMW Motorrad should solve that. They are footing the bill. What the hell does the dealer care? Is the owner an idiot?

All UK owners. I''m really surprised to hear that some of you are not being taken care of properly. My dealer, Cotswold BMW, has been utterly fantastic. Even though they too have heard nothing official from BMW they are busy registering brand new bikes out of the showroom and lending them to affected customers. I picked up a brand new K1600 GT LE yesterday. Taking it to France next week. I'm super impressed with how they've handled it for me.

If you aren't getting the same service then perhaps quote this example and start banging fists on tables.

Look on the bright side, many of you are finding out just what kind of dealer you are tied to. I couldn't be happier with mine, think they are willing to support whichever option I choose.

It's not my dealer letting me down. In the UK we have been given no options and the dealers have had no communications from BMW since the original stop notice. BMW Customer Support in the UK also can provide no information. BMWNA seem to be doing a good job for you guys in the USA, over here in the GB BMW appear to be screwing the pooch.

Hi guys,

Some update from Belgium, +/- 360 bikes concerned, 20 for my dealer.

The only update they received recently is that it will be fixed within 8 weeks at maximum.

No others words about parts problem's details,loaners,cash,ect...

Additionally,BMW BE ask email,mail addresses of the concerned clients to my dealer, resulting in some personal letters directly from BMW BE in a near future, wait and see...

My bike is still in my garage waiting for a pick-up!

Alan. One call from BMW Motorrad should solve that. They are footing the bill. What the hell does the dealer care? Is the owner an idiot?

According to the dealer, BMW told them to use their demo bikes for loaners. He said they don't have or do demo bikes.

Alan

According to the dealer, BMW told them to use their demo bikes for loaners. He said they don't have or do demo bikes.

Alan

That sorta, kinda makes sense. My vague understanding of the loaner program is that it's managed through an contractual arrangement between the dealer and Motorrad USA that eliminates (or reduces) the loss/depreciation risk for the dealer. So, if this dealer has opted out--surprising when you consider BMW's insistence on dealer uniformity--then I guess they just wouldn't have motorcycles meeting the criteria for that option. :(

I am waiting to hear back from Garrett at BMW NA but I am not getting a good feeling about BMW taking care of this.

Alan

Alan

That sorta, kinda makes sense. My vague understanding of the loaner program is that it's managed through an contractual arrangement between the dealer and Motorrad USA that eliminates (or reduces) the loss/depreciation risk for the dealer. So, if this dealer has opted out--surprising when you consider BMW's insistence on dealer uniformity--then I guess they just wouldn't have motorcycles meeting the criteria for that option. :(

It sure makes it easy never to buy from this dealer in the future. FYI they are opening up a new dealer in Denton, TX. DFW will have 3 BMW dealers. The guy that ran the Ft. Worth store and making it successful has left to open his own in Oklahoma City, I bet he is getting biz out of Ft. Worth with more to come.

Jay

Alan

No. I wanted a used K1600 for my rental and they said I had to take a new one. BMW Motorrad owns the new ones and the used ones are owned by the dealer. I just did not want to have to go back again in a week and get a 600 check

I am picking mine up tomorrow am. BTW. If you have insurance for a bike now, you have it for a loaner. Just like a car.

Just got off the phone with CB Standridge the general manager at BMW Motorcycles of Fort Worth. He said they have not and will not be giving out loaners. I picked the wrong dealer to do business with.

Alan

Garrett at BMW NA is waiting to hear back from the dealer and I should hear back in 3 to 5 days. Does not sound like they really care at all. This is my first BMW and so far I am not seeing the customer service I have heard about.

Alan

Just got off the phone with CB Standridge the general manager at BMW Motorcycles of Fort Worth. He said they have not and will not be giving out loaners. I picked the wrong dealer to do business with.

Alan

Call up BMW Motorrad USA and describe what your dealer said word to word and explain how wxactly you feel about BMW right now. You should get your brand new loaner bike in a couple of days.

You might want to follow it up with an e-mail. It's often easier to remember everything you want to say if you are writing it down.

Alan

Call BMW and then call your state's AG. If you are not satisfied, tell the dealer to take the bike back and choose another or just get your money back.

Alan

If my dealer treated me like that I would turn the bike in and use the 1k credit to purchase my replacement bike from the next nearest dealer.

I personally have decided that I don't want a loaner. As the RT is my sole source of mechanized transport, when not scamming my son's car, I will be on the bicycle for my 50 mile commute; with summer coming I see it as good TRI training.

Alan

If my dealer treated me like that I would turn the bike in and use the 1k credit to purchase my replacement bike from the next nearest dealer.

+1

Amazing to me sometimes that BMW allows such dealers to continue representing their brand.

I am picking up a K16 GT loaner Thursday. None too soon, I have a 3 week trip starting in a few days, and did not want to cancel! Looking forward to trying the bike, hope I don't like it better than my 2014 RT. On the other hand I love the new RT, and hope I am not disappointed without it. A 3,000 mile test ride is pretty long to figure it out. And who knows how long after that. I guess the K16 is a good bike to be in this predicament!

So I see this as a chance to try something new and the have the dilemma of how to spend $1,000 at the dealer. Maybe 8 years from now I will be the happy owner of the infamous "do not ride" bike with 80,000 miles on it. I think BMW and my dealer did well in a difficult spot.

End of July according the folks in San Jose CA, fortunately I can wait since I hadn't actually bought the bike and I still have the Yamaha. I would be somewhat more unhappy if I had just coughed up the $$$$s, the only other news is that it will be a "straight swap of the shock with a new part"

Geoff

Alan

This is completely unacceptable. Tell them you''re going to reject the bike and switch dealers. Must also be a good time to start a Tweet thread about the shit service CB Standridge offer. In my experience Tweeting can be a VERY sensitive issue for companies.

For UK guys,

Just talked to my dealer - -new bike being registered for my self will have to see whether it is a GT to GS.

Have also spoken to BMW UK - no news and no apology! pretty useless customer service even when you point out the offering in the states and the information on the net. they have no timelines for any news either.

grr - time for a social media campaign, man the twitter feeds!

I think BMW are doing a scam. :grin:

They have so many of these K1600 that they want to get rid of, so they chose what was going to be the best bike in their collection (the new RT) and after just sufficient were sold (to match the number of 1600's they want to get shot of), put a stop on the RT till the K1600's have all gone! :rofl:

Only joking, but it is the best news for K1600 forums, because they are now going to have so many new owners - much more than if the RT had made it without this (temporary) disaster.

I think BMW are doing a scam. :grin:

They have so many of these K1600 that they want to get rid of, so they chose what was going to be the best bike in their collection (the new RT) and after just sufficient were sold (to match the number of 1600's they want to get shot of), put a stop on the RT till the K1600's have all gone!

Joking or not i'm sure you're not the only guy thinking that same thing. :/ I was. ;)

Pat

Whether or not a dealership has demo bikes is up to the dealership (or at least it was that way)>

If BMW is using the tiered dealership model they rolled out a few years back, the costs can vary greatly for a smaller dealership.

If anyone is truly up the creek wrt this situation I'd suggest folding immediately.

Take the buy back and run.

They aren't going to stop making motorcycles.

:grin:

Trips planned can still be done.

Just maybe in a different manner or on a different mc.

All the beotching won't change anything.

There are options and solutions at hand.

Pat, just following your post.

:wave:

Norm LeFevre

Since my bike is garaged, locked and alarmed, I changed my insurance to keep required liability insurance, as well as comprehensive. The premium is reduced substantially and, as soon as I get the bike back, I'll bring it back to the normal amounts.

Hi All

So anyone who got a loaner can you tell me how you got it insured...I got a loaner waiting for me but no one seems to know how we can get it insured?

Why bother getting it insured. After all it's not even your bike but just a loaner that you got from a dealer. I would make sure that I am not responsible for a motorcycle that still might even belong to BMW. Not sure but I have heard that new bikes displayed for sale at a BMW dealer still actually belong to BMW.

I don't own a new 2014RT nor do I have any plans to ever buy one but keep up to date with what's going on out of curiosity and I guess you could even say morbid curiosity at that. I also believe that BMW is only trying to protect themselves from any liability should anyone be injured as a result of this unfortunate incident. If their customer base benefits all well and good but i do believe this to be a secondary concern. Look at their long history of using their customers as un-payed beta testers.

After not hearing from BMWNA, after I was told to expect a call last week, I reached out to them inquiring as to the status of my loaner option, I was told “there is no confirmed loaner option at this time.” I had planned on bypassing this option but upon further review decided otherwise.

If I didn't have so many great miles under my belt with this sweet ride I'd say chuck it. But like Eliza Doolittle's father, I can't.

Lovely,

I was told “there is no confirmed loaner option at this time.”

They must have not gotten that memo in NH, they're handing them out like cheap mints at a checkout counter. :grin: GSA option is on the table for me. I kinda wish I wasn't so smitten with the RT. Not many chances in life where you get a complete do-over.

Pat

What exactly is BMW offering for options in the states? Where can I see this info? Is it on the BMW site or is all the talk of buy backs and money offers all speculation?

The GTL is a whole other issue. I am currently waiting for my dealer to reverse the Title on my RT. I never took possession of the GTL and the Title reverse is pending.

It is a mess to say the least. Not knowing is killing me. Not sure if I own the RT or GTL. The only other option the dealer has offered is a buyout of the GTL if the Title reverse doesn't happen. Obviously at a severe loss. I would love to be able to get the RT back and chose the $2500 cash option.

Archived