IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

Wow, Thanks all for sharing. 90 days for supply chain worldwide given the complexity of the part/assembly in questions sounds about right, maybe even a little aggressive. Been emailing BMW NA and getting carefully worded formatted emails, so time to take this to dealer.

Norm LeFevre

I just called my dealer, who told me that BMW as going to send out a bulletin later this afternoon describing, to the dealers, what BMW was going to do for its customers.

Should be interesting.

When I called the 800 number provided they indicated any compensation would be handled the same as any trip interruption reimbursement. I've had to do that when a BMW car of mine had a catastrophic failure and I had to fly home to Seattle from Oklahoma City and then back again in three weeks to pick up my car. It was a matter of tendering receipts and BMW sent me a check. If this the case I have to wonder how you "receipt" or itemize depreciation, insurance, etc. I was also told that individual dealers would have to provide a loaner if that's indicated. I told them that inconsistent compensation to owners around the globe would be a sticking point IMHO. I love the bike, just hoping for speedy remedy and consistent treatment of all the customers without putting a burden on the dealers.

When I called the 800 number provided they indicated any compensation would be handled the same as any trip interruption reimbursement. I've had to do that when a BMW car of mine had a catastrophic failure and I had to fly home to Seattle from Oklahoma City and then back again in three weeks to pick up my car. It was a matter of tendering receipts and BMW sent me a check. If this the case I have to wonder how you "receipt" or itemize depreciation, insurance, etc. I was also told that individual dealers would have to provide a loaner if that's indicated. I told them that inconsistent compensation to owners around the globe would be a sticking point IMHO. I love the bike, just hoping for speedy remedy and consistent treatment of all the customers without putting a burden on the dealers.

Fully agree!!

BitScribbler

Here in Blighty my dealer has arranged a brand spanking new GS for me to use during my upcoming trip into Europe next week. I'm with BMW Insurance, and the deal is I add the GS to my insurance, pay for it, and BMW will reimburse me.

I rang BMW Insurance, and they know all about this, and have a system setup for it. Fair enough, but I've been charged £159 (about $270) for 30 days! I do believe the underlying insurance company is taking advantage of BMW, big style. That's daylight robbery. Interestingly also, they'll only do it for 30 days, which I assume will be a limit put on by BMW UK while they work out what their full response to the crisis is.

I just spoke with Allison at BMW customer service, and she was polite but not terribly helpful. When I asked about a loaner she asked if I had any specific trip planned and I said I was heading out July 1. She said she MIGHT be able to get me a loaner from my nearby dealer, and if they couldn't provide one I MIGHT be able to rent motorcycle from another source, and BMW MIGHT provide some reimbursement.

She also said it would be "some time" before I could expect a repair. So I'm not getting any good feelings about being taken care of any time in the near future.

Here in Blighty my dealer has arranged a brand spanking new GS for me to use during my upcoming trip into Europe next week. I'm with BMW Insurance, and the deal is I add the GS to my insurance, pay for it, and BMW will reimburse me.

Interesting. Carole Nash told me that they couldn't insure a loaner on my forthcomming European trip.

I just spoke with Allison at BMW customer service, and she was polite but not terribly helpful. When I asked about a loaner she asked if I had any specific trip planned and I said I was heading out July 1. She said she MIGHT be able to get me a loaner from my nearby dealer, and if they couldn't provide one I MIGHT be able to rent motorcycle from another source, and BMW MIGHT provide some reimbursement.

She also said it would be "some time" before I could expect a repair. So I'm not getting any good feelings about being taken care of any time in the near future.

I just posted this on the other blog....

One thing we must not forget is that we have paid a 'premium' price for this bike becuase it is supposed to be of 'premium' quality. If the manufacturer made a big blunder, then they are fully aware that they have a 'premium' penatly to pay as well. Given that only 8000 motorcycles are affected, this penalty is a drop in the ocean for a large company like BMW. Of course there could be a drop in motorcycle sales and some reputational damage for a short while, but that too will soon disappear and be forgotten by all. So would the unfortunate victims like us.

Therefore I think this is not time to feel sorry for the dealer or BMW or the supplier who made the suspension component. If your riding plans have been affected, get a new bike as a loaner. If you have suffered financial loss due to this mishap, get it reimbursed. You should be compensated reasonably and suggest you do not compromise on this.

Just my 2 cents worth.

That sounds great, but I just can't see walking into my nearby dealer and demanding they prep a new GT for my summer riding. I doubt that would be a productive approach. We need BMW NA to officially agree to provide loaners for all of us, and not just for a summer ride but until our RTs are fixed.

I have one on order and I just talked to my salesman. He said mine left New Jersey and will be here in Denver in 7 to 10 days. He also said that he had just talked to the sales manager to confirm before he called.

Supposedly, mine was made in May after the cutoff date for the recall. He assured me that he will deliver the bike in 7 to 10 days as soon as they uncrate and prep it.

So is he just trying to buy time, so that I won't kill the deal and get my deposit back? or is what he is saying true?

Only reason I ask is that the other local dealer said that the one he has in the pipe was held in Bremerhaven and won't be released until the decision is made to either transport it back to the factory fix, or to release it and ship it to the dealer for them fix it.

I have one on order and I just talked to my salesman. He said mine left New Jersey and will be here in Denver in 7 to 10 days. He also said that he had just talked to the sales manager to confirm before he called.

Supposedly, mine was made in May after the cutoff date for the recall. He assured me that he will deliver the bike in 7 to 10 days as soon as they uncrate and prep it.

So is he just trying to buy time, so that I won't kill the deal and get my deposit back? or is what he is saying true?

Only reason I ask is that the other local dealer said that the one he has in the pipe was held in Bremerhaven and won't be released until the decision is made to either transport it back to the factory fix, or to release it and ship it to the dealer for them fix it.

Mine was built first week of June and arrived at the dealer in the UK this week. It has the defective rod and so is going to be sat at the dealer for quite some time. I'm really not sure why they sent it out as it must have been after the stop notice. Very much considering my options as getting a new bike just before a UK winter seems pointless.

I have been reading everything that I can find about this issue over the last week and you are the first person that I know of that will get a new RT if indeed your dealer gives it to you. My guess is that he has his information wrong, but let us know if you actually do get the bike.

That sounds great, but I just can't see walking into my nearby dealer and demanding they prep a new GT for my summer riding. I doubt that would be a productive approach. We need BMW NA to officially agree to provide loaners for all of us, and not just for a summer ride but until our RTs are fixed.

Well... its up to you. But as for me, I want to ride ...now. I bought the RT because I had a whole bunch of long distance trips planned this during summer. I was not going to change my plans just because BMW made a 'mistake'. So I explained this to my dealer (and BMW Motorrad Canada) and there is a brand new 2013 R1200RT being prepped up for me right now. I will have it until my 2014 RT is fixed.

From what I here from the blogs, some RT owners in US have got K1600GT and R1200GS ..all brand new. So if you want to wait till they hand it to you, its going to be a long wait.

Hi Teddy

You need to contact BMW Australia on: ph: 1800 813 299

Explain that your bike is one of the effected.

They will pass you through to the proper person.

They will ask for your VIN number to double check that yours is one of them.

And then discuss the options with you.

Ok Thanks Alfred, I can't imagine BMW Aus coughing up a loan bike for such a long period of time. I guess we will see what comes of it when I ring BMW Aus on Monday. It is subject to the recall as confirmed in the phone call I received on 6th June which incidently happened to be my birthday.

Nice birthday present and put a downer on the rest of the day. He said I would get a letter of explanation the following week but that did not eventuate.

Thanks for the ph number!

BTW Have you decided what you will do yet?

Teddy

Hi Teddy

You need to contact BMW Australia on: ph: 1800 813 299

Explain that your bike is one of the effected.

They will pass you through to the proper person.

They will ask for your VIN number to double check that yours is one of them.

And then discuss the options with you.

Ok Thanks Alfred, I can't imagine BMW Aus coughing up a loan bike for such a long period of time. I guess we will see what comes of it when I ring BMW Aus on Monday. It is subject to the recall as confirmed in the phone call I received on 6th June which incidently happened to be my birthday.

Nice birthday present and put a downer on the rest of the day. He said I would get a letter of explanation the following week but that did not eventuate.

Teddy

Since this is a global issue and I dont think in-country BMW represntatives will be out of pocket in any manner. If they are asked to provide new bikes as loaners, they should and I am sure BMW Motorrad Germany will take care of the costs and losses involved. Like I have already said many times, its not for us to speculate if the dealerships would oblige or not or whether they will refuse your request. Its a matter of getting what you think is reasonable for the inconvenience caused by a very large automibile company's negligence. Just a thought.

Since this is a global issue and I don't think in-country BMW representatives will be out of pocket in any manner. If they are asked to provide new bikes as loaners, they should and I am sure BMW Motorrad Germany will take care of the costs and losses involved. Like I have already said many times, its not for us to speculate if the dealerships would oblige or not or whether they will refuse your request. Its a matter of getting what you think is reasonable for the inconvenience caused by a very large automobile company's negligence. Just a thought.

Perhaps we have lower expectations here in Aus than other countries? I guess I will know more on Monday? You are correct BMW Motorrad should pay I wonder if they will for Aussie owners that are affected by this?

Teddy

[quote=Alfred02

Teddy

Will send PM

I picked up a new K1600GTL loaner from my dealer this afternoon. I believe this was his response to take care of his customers with new RT's that should not be ridden , not a directive from BMW. As of late this afternoon he still had no word from BMW NA on what they intend to do.

The 1600 is very nice but so far I wouldn't trade my RT for it even with a bad shock. Really if I wanted a 1600 I would have bought it.

Again I can't say enough about the great people at Carolina BMW. Thanks Jason!!!!!!!!

I called BMW NA today at 4:30pm and they are going to try to arrange a loaner for me. One guy here, Scott, got a K1600 from the same dealer.

There is a really simple solution to this problem. Let us put Ohlins on and let BMW pick up the tab. They are not that much more that OEM shocks and we could all be on our way with a better ride.

There is a really simple solution to this problem. Let us put Ohlins on and let BMW pick up the tab. They are not that much more that OEM shocks and we could all be on our way with a better ride.

Seems like a good solution if BMW would also reimburse owners for the price they paid for the ESA option. I'm guessing that a pair of new Ohlins would cost much less than a single OEM replacement rear ESA shock.

Regardless, this fiasco is going to cost BMW big time -- loss in profits, sales and reputation, IMO. How they handle/mishandle it will be long remembered.

I called BMW NA today at 4:30pm and they are going to try to arrange a loaner for me. One guy here, Scott, got a K1600 from the same dealer.

Everything that I have read says that there is only one shock made for this bike. In other words, Ohlins doesn't have an ESA shock for the RT at this time. Someone correct me if this is wrong and I will order an Ohlins shock tomorrow.

Cowboyatheart

Well... its up to you. But as for me, I want to ride ...now. I bought the RT because I had a whole bunch of long distance trips planned this during summer. I was not going to change my plans just because BMW made a 'mistake'. So I explained this to my dealer (and BMW Motorrad Canada) and there is a brand new 2013 R1200RT being prepped up for me right now. I will have it until my 2014 RT is fixed.

From what I here from the blogs, some RT owners in US have got K1600GT and R1200GS ..all brand new. So if you want to wait till they hand it to you, its going to be a long wait.

Seems like there may be 8000 good used bikes for sale this fall!

Thanks, interesting options.

How come it says for internal use only, does this mean it should not be published here?

Teddy

I don't know, it got out somehow. If moderators feel it should be removed based on that, it's their call. I found it on a public forum.

That is very interesting info!

And certainly MOST useful for fellow Aussies effected by this.

Hail the internet!

I had every confidence that BMW would step up. The option I choose will be largely determined by how long they project the repairs will take. The KTM 1190 is a heck of a second bike (or a GS for that matter) and carrying $2500 toward it would make it quite a buy.

Doug_Baliko

After reading what BMW is willing to do I don't see how anyone can complain about BMW not stepping up to the plate in this situation. This is a huge commitment by BMW. And rightfully so.

Doug

After reading what BMW is willing to do I don't see how anyone can complain about BMW not stepping up to the plate in this situation. This is a huge commitment by BMW. And rightfully so.

Doug

I agree. This is customer service at its very best

Joking aside, I love the new RT but, if a deal like that was actually presented to me, I would probably not sleep well that night. :lurk:

Pat

RE: BMW offer

My interpretation of this offer is that they expect this redesign / replacement to take a long long time. Perhaps 5-10 months if you look at the amount of money they are offering or more accurately the amount they feel they need to offer customers.

It is something but the dollar amount persuades me the fix will take a long time. And while it appears generous at some level, this is damage control.

This new offer tells me the problem is actually much bigger than we thought it was last week. Companies like BMW do not give away huge pots of cash to make people feel good. The feel good amount is quite small.

Sounds like you are just speculating. I don't think the amounts would be that different between it taking 6 weeks or 6 months. This is all about damage control: averting law suits, protecting the new (and used) bike market, brand image, etc. Pretty sure they structured it to be appealing enough for people to wait and enjoy their bike for a very long time once it is fixed; notice that walking away is by far the least attractive option, they don't even commit to a full refund. The last thing they want is dealer showrooms flooded with returns just as they get ready to ship large quantities of new bikes from the factory.

?..they don't even commit to a full refund.

They will give you back what you paid for the bike. That sounds like a full refund.

3.a specifically states "for the amount customer paid". 3.b is vague, just says they will repurchase it. Doesn't necessarily mean for the amount you paid.

RE: The feel good amount is quite small.

Oh REALLY.? You can get to walk into a show room pick the brand new bike you want to ride ( in my case a K16 GTL LE). Ride it for free for as long as it takes. Buy yourself perhaps a brand new helmet with comms using the $1000 voucher then resume riding your RT next summer as if it were a new bike.

Name me one other manufacturer that would do that much to keep your loyalty. None I bet.

I've been a BMW customer for just three weeks. Yes it's a shame there's a problem but, hey, shit happens. I am super impressed with the way BMW are handling this and, if anything, this little episode has reinforced my decision to buy BMW.

• Buy a new Ohlins 46DRS rear shock now for $825 and install it in a couple of hours.

• Ride bike to heart's content.

• When BMW new part becomes available, have dealer swap out rear Ohlins for OEM ESA (free labor).

• Take BMW's $2500.

• Sell used low-miles Ohlins for $625.

You'll have months of riding plus $2300 in your pocket. Hopefully when you're back on the OEM ESA shock you won't miss the great Ohlins ride too much.

That actually sounds pretty intriguing, but I haven't found any site that says they will fit the 2014. Do you have a link?

I wonder why they can't put in the same shocks they use in the non-dynamic package bikes as a stop gap. Would be one thing not to have the dynamic setting between now and August, which appears to be the new date, versus not having the bike at all.

I wonder why they can't put in the same shocks they use in the non-dynamic package bikes as a stop gap. Would be one thing not to have the dynamic setting between now and August, which appears to be the new date, versus not having the bike at all.

Bingo. There are plenty of non-ESA WC RTs riding around.

[quote=anvo

That actually sounds pretty intriguing, but I haven't found any site that says they will fit the 2014. Do you have a link?

You're correct that that model for the hex/camhead shocks may not fit, I haven't confirmed that, but I'd be getting on the phone with manufacturers/dealers for an alternate shock if I were in the '14 RT pickle. Cash and/or loaner bikes are all well and good but I'd be scrounging for a temporary rear shock so I could ride my own bike.

Are you sure there are a bunch? Every one I have seen for sale has most of the options. I don't remember ever seeing one without it.

I find that this offer represents considerable good will on the part of BMW. The bottom line is that it still sucks to be us, we bought these bikes to ride them. That said they apparently can’t get these bikes back on the road again any time soon and are willing to offer compensation for this setback.

In Washington they will likely be faced with the obligation under the Lemon Law to buy the bike back minus an “offset for use” deduction. In my case that amounts to about $3,400. Any offer above this is good will. So I can keep the bike and get a check for $2,500 putting me ahead $5,900. What is the value of a motorcycle rental for 2 to 3 months, plus an additional $1,000 gift certificate?

The minute we rode these bikes off the lot we took a considerable depreciation hit. Now they eat that plus offer a credit of $1,000 towards another BMW cycle, or just eat the depreciation and send you on your way.

Any way you look at it we are miles ahead in terms of financial compensation.

Are you sure there are a bunch? Every one I have seen for sale has most of the options. I don't remember ever seeing one without it.

Which would indicate the OEM of that shock should have plenty of stock.

Which would indicate the OEM of that shock should have plenty of stock.

Yes it would. There may not be a bunch of non-ESA RTs in the USA, but plenty elsewhere. They do build them.

You know after having thought about this issue with the '14 RT it strikes me that when any of us purchase any after market product for our machines that have the capacity to effect safety we are rolling the dice. Examples would be shocks, brake pads and lines, tires, etc. At least with OEM products we are somewhat assured in that the mc manufacturer stands behind the approved product not just some supplier that may or not invest in proper quality control or product testing. I think if I owned one of these affected machines and wanted to keep it I would definitely wait for BMW to make it right and not strike out on my own and replace the rear shock myself as others have suggested.

I also believe that BMW seems to rely heavily on its customers to do do much of new product beta testing. A good example is the issues with final drive assemblies and the never ending design changes that occurred with earlier oil and hex head bikes. When every thing works as it should on a BMW life is truly good but omg when things go wrong.....

Archived