IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

Anyone in Spain heard anything from their dealer or BMW Iberica - I'm getting absolutely nowhere.

Nothing. I haven't even managed to get them to return my calls after nearly a dozen calls to customer service over the past 3 weeks and them swearing each time they will contact me in 2 days max.

I received one call from them at the beginning telling me to get off the bike and send it to a dealer. Since then. Nothing.

The BMW Motorrad dealer in Montreal offered me any brand new bike on the floor. I am picking up a R1200GS this coming Thursday.

I had a choice of a $2500 cheque after repair, loaner bike -no $1000 credit however, or a trade in at full purchase price.

Dealer/Motorrad assume registration cost ($550 per year here includes medical coverage) Repair is expected in late September.

I was asked to limit to 750 km per week or 9,000 km which is fine with me.

RT is going back to dealer unil repaired. Insurance company asked for my bike to be sent to dealer. They will cover GS at no extra cost.I had a lot of explaining and arguing to do however.

Robert

Dan. Not to rain on your parade but that option is anything but full refund. "In accordance with applicable state laws" means the "lemon law". Check the offset for use deduction carefully before you sign the bike back over. In Washington it is based on the bike going to "0" value in 25,000 miles. The simple math is that if you paid $25,000 the deduction is $1.00 per mile. Not sure if or what deduction applies to your state.

Agreed. I bought my RT in Utah. Here's a quote from the UT DMV Lemon Law Web page: "Once it's determined that your vehicle is a lemon and you're entitled to a refund or replacement, the manufacturer may charge you up to 23 cents per mile for your use of the vehicle or subtract that from the refund total. This amount is supposed to be "reasonable" and is prescribed by law."

I glad to hear this, I am still waiting to hear from my dealer when I will be able to pick up the K1600GT (Wednsday..). They never mentionned anything about mileage, only that BMW would cover the recommended maintenance.

I received the same offer than you did

Dan. Not to rain on your parade but that option is anything but full refund. "In accordance with applicable state laws" means the "lemon law". Check the offset for use deduction carefully before you sign the bike back over. In Washington it is based on the bike going to "0" value in 25,000 miles. The simple math is that if you paid $25,000 the deduction is $1.00 per mile. Not sure if or what deduction applies to your state.

Agreed. I bought my RT in Utah. Here's a quote from the UT DMV Lemon Law Web page: "Once it's determined that your vehicle is a lemon and you're entitled to a refund or replacement, the manufacturer may charge you up to 23 cents per mile for your use of the vehicle or subtract that from the refund total. This amount is supposed to be "reasonable" and is prescribed by law."

Ok guys, thanks. Not sure what will happen here in Delaware but I'll post when I find out.

Dan

This "new" proposal sucks. It gives BMW and the dealer an escape from almost every clause. My dealer says he can't find a loaner bike, so he's off the hook there. If I want a new BMW, it has to be "available", which means in his current inventory. He has almost no bikes right now due to it being spring, so no go there. And finally, as has already been pointed out, we'll get a lemon law deduction for miles ridden if we just want to sell the bike back. I think the best most of us can hope for is the $2,500 compensation for losing an entire summer of riding, and that's only until the next proposal comes out.

Norm LeFevre

I just visited my dealer to pick up my low seat. It'll be fun - sitting on the low bike, in my garage. Boo Hoo!

Anyway, he said that I could get full retail paid for my bike - total. He said that BMW will reimburse the dealer, less 10%. So the dealers now have used bikes that they've paid a premium for. Not a great deal for them, but it does appear that I could get my purchase price if I wanted to.

So I got the same chain email yesterday giving me choices...but they don't give enough information to make a decision. The true missing link is time to cure or the ability to use aftermarket. Without that information it is like Forest Gump...you never know what you are going to get.

So....I wrote them back and politely ask them to share real information about fix date. I will give them about 3-4 more days and if that doesn't produce some answer to make an informed decision, I am going to ask for full refund and wait until 2015 models are out.

Seems like they are trying to do something good, then screw it up by not communicating.

Next step might be class action. I pay my attorney on retainer so might as well put him to work.

Firefight911

Next step might be class action. I pay my attorney on retainer so might as well put him to work.

I was just thinking the same. I would be very surprised if a class action is not brought forward on this. It is clearly a global issue with universal effect. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and what the response would be back.

It is interesting how the media has been silent, for the most part, on this matter as well. Worried about the advertising dollars? Who knows.

The true missing link is time to cure ...

Exactly! If I'll be riding by the middle of August I'm inclined to wait it out. If it won't be fixed until October I'll sell the bike back. I need a good-faith date to allow me to make an informed decision.

North Carolina lemon reimbursement.

If your car is a lemon, you are entitled to a refund of:

The full contract price including, but not limited to, charges for undercoating, dealer-preparation and installed options, plus the non-refundable portions of extended warranties and service contracts.

All upfront charges, including but not limited to, sales tax, license and registration fees.

All finance charges you incurred after you first reported the problem to the manufacturer, or authorized dealer.

Any incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for your use of the vehicle.

Under the law, the refund is reduced by a “reasonable allowance” for your use of the vehicle. The following formula is used to calculate the refund:

Amount to be Refunded =

Purchase Price - (Number of miles driven by the consumer X Purchase Price)/120000.

Adding in all the fees I would break even or maybe come out ahead just a bit.

Just sent this to my dealer...

I am sorry to say that offering a substitution bike is not an acceptable solution for the following reasons:

1 – For more than 2 weeks I have not been able to ride the bike that I spent a great deal of time selecting.

2 – Unknown to me BMW has exposed my wife, who has been a regular pillion passenger, and I to danger.

3 – The bike that I have paid for, in full, is off the road and will be for probably another 2 months.

4 – If I had wanted a different bike for the summer I would have ordered the different model.

5 – Where is/are the offer(s) of compensation for depriving me of the bike I purchased, in good faith, from BMW as is/are being offered in other countries?

6 – You have not told me the model of bike are you proposing as the substitution machine.

7 - When could the bike that I have paid for, and is now useless and not fit for purpose, be repaired and guaranteed to be safe?

Unless you can answer all the above to my complete satisfaction then I maintain that I reject the bike you sold me as being unfit for its intended use and request that you collect it from my home address and issue a full refund of the price paid against invoice number....

I think the problem with a class-action lawsuit (or any lawsuit) is that you have to be able to prove damages. And I'm not sure being really, really angry is going to get us very far.

Firefight911
I think the problem with a class-action lawsuit (or any lawsuit) is that you have to be able to prove damages. And I'm not sure being really, really angry is going to get us very far.

"Damages" is only one factor to determine. A class action is common across product defect actions and is a prime cause of such cases to be brought. Damages are easy to determine based on the inability to utilize the product as it was intended based upon a proven defect. Since BMW has offered their own answer to whether it was defective, stop order handled that, the damages come from costs incurred, loss of use, etc.

My guess the only hurdle would be the bantering of discovery to determine a class action as representative to the effected class.

California lemon law appears to say this:

The only money that is deducted from your refund is the mileage offset which is calculated by the mileage on the vehicle when the problem first began, divided by 120,000, and then multiplied by the purchase price of the vehicle.

So if you have 4,000 miles on your bike this would be a deduction of $83.

You've misplaced your decimal point. 4000/120000 = 1/30 x Purchase price so around $800 or so (not sure what price is in the US)

Firefight911
California lemon law appears to say this:

The only money that is deducted from your refund is the mileage offset which is calculated by the mileage on the vehicle when the problem first began, divided by 120,000, and then multiplied by the purchase price of the vehicle.

So if you have 4,000 miles on your bike this would be a deduction of $83.

Having gone through two BMW lemon law buybacks in California, yes, that's how it works once you have the math correct.

My dad called the dealership in San Diego, CA because he decided to trade it in and buy a 1600gtl, and was told that the trade-in option was not currently available with them because it did not comply with California law, whatever that means and because BMW jumped the gun sending the email with the options without talking to them first.

The other problem with a refund is he spent a lot of money on the Schubert helmet so he could buy the BMW Bluetooth com which may not be necessary with a different motorcycle since he already had a Nolan.

clip--was told that the trade-in option was not currently available with them because it did not comply with California law, whatever that means and because BMW jumped the gun sending the email with the options without talking to them first.

--clip

Afternoon Tgmm

It seems the BMW dealers have found a work-around for not taking 2014RT (full refund) trade-ins or offering loaners or comp bikes.

A couple of dealers around me are citing state laws or some law of the moon for not allowing loaner bikes or not offerening long term comp bikes.

One dealer has a creative plan FOR GOOD CUSTOMERS ONLY & that is to sell the 2014RT owner a used bike from inventory with the promise to buy it back when the 2014 is back up & running. (insurance on the buyer & required)

Firefight911
We'll my dad called the dealership in San Diego, CA because he decided to trade it in and buy a 1600gtl, and was told that the trade-in option was not currently available with them because it did not comply with California law, whatever that means and because BMW jumped the gun sending the email with the options without talking to them first.

The other problem with a refund is he spent a lot of money on the Schubert helmet so he could buy the BMW Bluetooth com.

I am doubting this response from your dealer. A VIN swap is something that is very much so available in California. I was going to exercise this option with one of my buybacks. The challenge comes in the finance side. If it is a financed bike and financed through BMW Financial, no problem. If it is financed through another bank, the norm is a VIN swap can be performed within thirty days of executing the loan. Each bank has its own criteria for this. I had finance through my own bank and I was unable to do a VIN swap on the loan docs due to the time frame that had passed from execution to buyback. It would have essentially required an entire new loan application, approval, and funding process.

There's still no mention in yesterday's memo regarding extension of the warranty or roadside assistance.

When I spoke with the Customer Assistance guys, again I asked about the possibility of an extended warranty to at least cover our down-time. They each stated they doubt it will happen as all they have received to date are the options we all are now familiar with. Too bad, I thought it was a reasonable request...

I am doubting this response from your dealer. A VIN swap is something that is very much so available in California. I was going to exercise this option with one of my buybacks. The challenge comes in the finance side. If it is a financed bike and financed through BMW Financial, no problem. If it is financed through another bank, the norm is a VIN swap can be performed within thirty days of executing the loan. Each bank has its own criteria for this. I had finance through my own bank and I was unable to do a VIN swap on the loan docs due to the time frame that had passed from execution to buyback. It would have essentially required an entire new loan application, approval, and funding process.

My dad didn't finance. In regards to the trade in that is what they told me. The person at the dealership said he was going to talk to the rep today or tomorrow so we're waiting for a response. I suspect there is an issue with losses the dealership would incur with a trade in. Because they told my dad to just ask for a refund but obviously if his intention was to get a different BMW the best monetary decision is to trade in and get the 1k.

In response to Firefight911 - If the wording is correct - ie mileage on the vehicle when the problem first began, then surely that could be argued as being from zero as the defect was present, but not discovered, at the time of manufacture.

So today I talked to BMWNA....I know you will find this surprising, but no information forth coming. I explained to them an informed decision could not be made without a rough estimate of the ETA... I got read the script probably 3-4 times. Told him not personal, but not helping.

Now it is becoming personal for me. If other shock mfg's (two I have talked to personally) have already figured out the issue, already designed and tested the replacement, are already to start the repairs, it is hard for me to imagine why BMW will not give us an estimated time to cure.

Three BMW cars new, 5 BMW Motorcycles new, and no desire to help us understand the art of the possible. I still have no clue if July or January is the cure.

I think I will now take the full refund and go seek that from the dealer this weekend. Brand loyalty is important to protect at almost all cost, but apparently not important to BMW.

My meter has moved from so what no big deal to highly frustrated and fed up....

So today I talked to BMWNA....I know you will find this surprising, but no information forth coming. I explained to them an informed decision could not be made without a rough estimate of the ETA... I got read the script probably 3-4 times. Told him not personal, but not helping.

Ooh, just got a sick feeling in my stomach. :(

Pat

So today I talked to BMWNA....

I think I will now take the full refund and go seek that from the dealer this weekend. Brand loyalty is important to protect at almost all cost, but apparently not important to BMW.

Just a heads up, yesterday I was told by BMWNA that the refund would be processed through BMWNA.

Now it is becoming personal for me. If other shock mfg's (two I have talked to personally) have already figured out the issue, already designed and tested the replacement, are already to start the repairs, it is hard for me to imagine why BMW will not give us an estimated time to cure.

Three BMW cars new, 5 BMW Motorcycles new, and no desire to help us understand the art of the possible. I still have no clue if July or January is the cure.

David, your frustration is palpable and understandable.

Multiple owners received an email from BMW USA, (I didn't). and it has been published on a forum. The email lays out in writing the four options and states that there will be information forthcoming but not a timeline.

For those of you who have chosen to wait for the repair, we will provide you with information on the availability of the replacement part, as soon as we have a confirmed delivery schedule from the part supplier. Our call center will not have access to any advanced information on parts availability.

Copy Of Email

The CS call line is listed as not being able to provide info on expected parts availability and it looks like a frustrating experience to try to obtain that info.

I am in the envious position of having a very good dealer and several bikes to ride so will be waiting for the fix and the $2500. That was a very good option for me, but the other options may work better for others.

Hopefully as time moves forward we will move to closure and preferably sooner rather than later.

Freedom Outlaw

My salesman called me yesterday and told me what we all already know. There is no ETA on when the shock will be fixed. He recommended I do a buy back.

He said that more than likely it was going to take some time for this to play out and by then the 15's will be close to hitting the market. Then you will have a one year old depreciated bike that will be stigmatized. He recommended a buy back, then just buy the 15 model.

This is what I have elected to do with a caveat. My dealer has loaned me an 05 model. When BMW pays me for my 14, I am going to buy (with BMW's money) the 05 so I am not without an RT.

When the 15's come out my dealer is going to buy back the 05 for the full price I paid him.

I really, really wanted to keep my 14 but since the 15's may be coming out close to when the shock is fixed I won't be taking the depreciation hit, nor will I be stuck with a bike which in all likelihood will have a stigma attached to it due to the recall.

When I called BMWNA this am to start the buyback, even the rep had no remote date as to when the shock would be fixed. So I am doing the buy back, taking their money (BMW's) and buying the 05 to use until the 15's come in and getting all my money back for the 05 when the 15's hit the floor.

I see this is as win win for me and the dealer. He got his commission on the sale of the 14, I get to keep an RT without coming out of pocket for it and get fully reimbursed when the 15 comes in and the salesman gets another commission.

Obviously the money BMW is using for the buy back was my money, still, it is not like I am having to pull more money out of the bank to use to keep the 05 until the 15's come out.

I won't be hit with the immediate depreciation or the stigma and still have an RT to ride. The only cost I am incurring is the sales tax and the dealer doc prep fee which he dropped to $200.00 from $400.00. The sales/transfer tax to the state is going to be around $450.00 +/- add the $200.00 so I Will be out of pocket for around $650.00 but I'll have a new bike with a full warranty.

I could have grouched about he $200.00 transfer fee but just appreciated the heads up by the salesman so I did not even dicker.

To me, it is worth the $650.00 for a new bike with a full warranty and no stigma attached. Also, hopefully BMW will go over the 15's with a fine tooth comb so there are no issues but I don't doubt there will be some, just nothing like he DNR which hit me 200 miles from the Canadian border.

I was going to ride the Canadian Rockies around Banff/Jasper. I was trailering with my wife's scooter and we had our dog. I have a Sprinter and we were traveling out of that, thank God I had not driven the bike up from Florida. It Was a gut wrenching feeling when I hit the "go home" button and it showed 2,650 miles!

I've not signed any documents yet, does anyone see any glaring holes in this? Hit me up if you do, I have thick skin.

I've not signed any documents yet, does anyone see any glaring holes in this? Hit me up if you do, I have thick skin.

No glaring holes really.

You could ride the '07 or another bike as a loaner, get your RT repaired and have $1000 dealer credit in your pocket.

Although the offer from the dealer is not unfair, and puts more money in their pocket, only you can decide if the depreciation will be worth the $650 (and the $1000 credit from BMW lost) or waiting for your bike to be repaired and getting some of your expenses from the ruined trip ($2500) and waiting without a bike.

The salesman's feeling that this will take some time to play out is speculation. The dealers were informed in a conference "call" that shock production is goining better than originally forecast but no firm ETA, although possibly mid July was mentioned. Until they are shipped, clear customs and are delivered-they aren't there.

You are absolutely right on the 14s depreciation and of course the minute you get a 15, it too will depreciate. It will have a new warranty and not one with the clock running down.

When the 2015s are available is also a guess. Typically minor changes like colors are announced around July with orders available in August (ex 2014 K16,F800, GS) and deliveries in Winter or early Spring. Late models are introduced at Fall shows and prices ordering announced announced in Jan-Feb with deliveries a few months after ( ex: 2014 RT, R Nine T)

What effect this RT debacle will have, dealers do not know but typically the RT would follow the GS pattern for 2014 with orders in Aug and delivery in late 2014/early 2015.

Lots of options out there, and you have a fifth option. No correct choice, but the one that works best for you and you are most comfortable with is the right one.

Not sure if there are any glaring holes.

I considered the buyback, but decided against it. The 2014 RT might have some stigma, but I doubt it. Once the problem is fixed, it is fixed. Most BMW buyers are sophisticated enough to know that the bike will not have a design defect. I also doubt there will be a glut of used RTs on the market. In a very unscientific poll on the BMWLT site, less than a third of respondents said they would take the buyback or trade in option. I also wonder if BMW will release the 2015 models on time. If they still have a bunch of new and slightly used 2014 models, they may hold off on selling 2015 models for a while.

In my case, I am going to have an aftermarket shock installed soon (probably in the next week or two) for $1250, take BMW's $2500, and net about $1250 when the replacement ESA shock is available. I get to ride my own bike, don't have a lot of hassle, and I'm happy with it.

In your case, is the $650 doc fee, tax and registration for both purchases? I assume you will pay the fees on the interim bike and on the new one. If that is the total for both bikes, it isn't bad. If you have to pay it twice (with lower taxes for the lower priced interim bike), you could be looking at something closer to $1000. If that is the case, the interim repair option using BMW's money, with money left in your pocket, might be a better deal.

Just my .02

From what I was told by my Dealer if you want to put an aftermarket shock on the bike that is your business but BMW would not honor the 2500 payment and would void the warranty on the suspension system.....

From what I was told by my Dealer if you want to put an aftermarket shock on the bike that is your business but BMW would not honor the 2500 payment and would void the warranty on the suspension system.....

My dealer said they spoke with BMW about and got assurance that there would be no problem with the warranty, the repair or the $2500.

My dealer said they spoke with BMW about and got assurance that there would be no problem with the warranty, the repair or the $2500.

I hope you are right.....I will do the same.....Will make a call tomorrow.....

Well I wandered into my dealer this morning to have a chat to the salesman who sold me the RT to be greeted with your loan bike is almost ready for you. I was shocked as of this time yesterday I was told by the "other" salesman that it would be around two weeks whilst I wait for the bits to arrive from Germany.

So I rushed home grabbed a coffee, helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and ear plugs and arranged transportation to the dealer.

So this arvo I have a shiny new classic white R1200R (just 7km on the odo) to play with till my RT is fixed no limitation on kilometres.

Only bummer is slippery Battlax BT021 tyres (not my favourite tyre) keep the revs under 5K RPM and bring it in when the 1000kms is up for its first service.

When I got back to the dealer it was 12C, mostly sunny and the wind was only gusting to about 45km/h down from the 60km/h earlier in the day, not ideal but I'll take it after the first two days of the week where it struggled to reach 8C during the day.

A nice bike the R1200R it's no RT but it's not meant to be and has the old camhead motor, nevertheless I have wheels, a big thank you to BMW Aus and my dealer Rolfe BMW for finally coming up with a loaner.

I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to happen.

Teddy

Talking with my dealer yesterday, he said it would take 6-8 weeks for the buy back to go through channels. He has one in progress. Not as simple as it seems. So be prepared to wait for your $

Did I read that the aftermarket shock uses the ESA module on their shock? If that is so, it may make the BMW deal void. Or is the aftermarket a complete unit, plug and play?

In my case, I am going to have an aftermarket shock installed soon (probably in the next week or two) for $1250, take BMW's $2500, and net about $1250 when the replacement ESA shock is available. I get to ride my own bike, don't have a lot of hassle, and I'm happy with it.

Just my .02

Jeff,

Wondering, how's that gonna work?

I was at a local dealer this week, told him of my experience with aftermarket shocks on my 2011 GSA and directed him, at his request, to the vendor. The vendor has replacement ESA shocks and springs available for the GSLC, listed on E-Bay. Maybe they have units for the RT as well , I suggested...

The dealer called the vendor while I was present and the vendor said they had NON ESA shocks ready right now for the RT.

I've seen these shocks referred to here and over at MOA as well, so I knew there was something out there.

My question is if you install a non ESA shock on the rear of the RT, leaving the rear shock ESA control plug hanging there, will the OEM front still function with full dynamic ESA or does it have to be disconnected as well?

Is the Dynamic ESA system function dependent upon having 2 fully functioning shocks, one front, one rear.

d'milan (whinger) :lurk:

There are three different shocks through Ted Porter's BeemerShop. Two different Wilbers shocks that do not use the ESA and one Tractive that does reuse the ESA II servo motor off the stock shock. I went with the Wilbers 640 with the remote preload so no parts pulled from the stock shock. The Tractive would be the best option but if you do that there would be no reason for the warranty repair from BMW. Also the Tractvie s about $1500 while the Wilbers is about $800.

Alan

DMilan,

At least from Ted they are supplying a little black box that makes the bike think the ESA is connected and working.

Alan

Freedom Outlaw

Not sure if there are any glaring holes.

I considered the buyback, but decided against it. The 2014 RT might have some stigma, but I doubt it. Once the problem is fixed, it is fixed. Most BMW buyers are sophisticated enough to know that the bike will not have a design defect. I also doubt there will be a glut of used RTs on the market. In a very unscientific poll on the BMWLT site, less than a third of respondents said they would take the buyback or trade in option. I also wonder if BMW will release the 2015 models on time. If they still have a bunch of new and slightly used 2014 models, they may hold off on selling 2015 models for a while.

In your case, is the $650 doc fee, tax and registration for both purchases? I assume you will pay the fees on the interim bike and on the new one. If that is the total for both bikes, it isn't bad. If you have to pay it twice (with lower taxes for the lower priced interim bike), you could be looking at something closer to $1000. If that is the case, the interim repair option using BMW's money, with money left in your pocket, might be a better deal.

Just my .02

Thanks for your response. The $650.00 would be a one time fee but I've about decided to take the money and forget about the RT, I have two other bikes.

Not getting into your business, but if I were going to change out to a non-factory shock, I would want it In Writing that this was not going to void my warranty in any way and it was not going to affect the deal proposed by BMW. That is just the businessman in me coming out..Not trying to tell you what to do.

Also, I agree with the other poster, BMW may/probably is not going to go for this. I ran this option up the flagpole with the regional rep, just getting a non-esa shock to get us all back on the road and he said nope, gotta be BMW. That may have changed now with the loads of bad PR they are getting.

In regard to stigma, are you aware of the "whizzer ie servo" brake stigma on the 05/06 RT's. The market is quite aware of this feature. You can actually have your ABS unit rebuilt if you have the non-servo brakes for around 350-450 vs 1500 +/- for BMW unit.

You can Not rebuild the servo brake ABS unit and are at the mercy of BMW. BMW people Do tend to be quirky, some of them have looong memories too. I found out about the servo brakes After I had bought my 06 used, that bike never gave me a single problem though.

Regards

Archived