IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

hijak

Indeed.

The weather where we were in NC last week was perfect.

High 50's at night, high 70's daytime.

No rain until we left.

:grin:

Perhaps the best week of weather we've had in over 30 years

up there.

/hi

I visited my dealer in Raleigh yesterday. He confirmed that they have taken the shocks off the unsold inventory and they are being sent to BMW to, I believe, replace an actuator. By doing that, the shocks - with no mileage - will be returned to the dealer for replacement on the unsold units.

At the same time, NEW shocks willl be assembled for replacement on the owners' bikes that elected to have them repaired. The dealer didn't mention the logistics of the ESA "stuff", or how it would transpire, but I did not get the impression that inventory bikes took any precedence over customer bikes.

It seems like there are two different tasks being performed, simultaneously.

I heard pretty much the same thing from my dealer today in Boston about returning shocks to BMW from unsold units in his inventory. He has NOT been notified however about BMW's plans -- or schedule -- for customers awaiting the repair.

In a subsequent call I made to BMW HQ in NJ a representative told me that BMW would be shipping the replacement parts in August. When I asked if he could be more specific, as in, early, middle or late August, he simply repeated "in August". Clearly he wasn't authorized to say anything more--if that!

Prior to that call to HQ when I called the the customer service number we've been directed to, despite three explicit attempts to get something other than we'll be contacted "when a firm date for the repair has been determined", all I could get out of the person on the other end of the line was repetition that BMW would contact customers "when they had a firm date for the repair had been determined".

Finally I've sent a hand written letter to Ludwig Willisch the CEO and President of BMW North America, pleading with him to break the unconscionable silence with at least a status update, (even if a definitive date cannot yet be determined), so we loyal customers can do some personal planning. It would be great if everyone would take the time to write him too. If you have a mind to do that the address is: 300 Chestnut Ridge Road, Woodcliff, NJ, 07677.

My $.02!

Weston

Playing Devil's Advocate.

If a corporation says X will happen while depending on a 3rd party vendor, and 3rd party fails to deliver on time, then

coporation left holding the bag, again.

I'm holding two recall notices from GM.

Explicityl says we don't have the parts yet and will contact you when we do.

Seems SOP.

Frustration understandable.

BMW '14 recall affects less than ten thousand.

GM's millions.

Best wishes.

Not yet.

Not the point.

Recall by manufacturer dependent upon supplier to make product

whole again.

The issue is/was having a definite time for completion.

Best wishes.

Not yet.

Not the point.

Recall by manufacturer dependent upon supplier to make product

whole again.

The issue is/was having a definite time for completion.

Best wishes.

It's not about a definite timeline, it's about keeping people updated. You give people your best estimate and tell them it's an estimate based on current information. If you are delayed further you update people with a new estimate and why the further delay. The complete lack of proper communication is piss poor customer service. Though I don't know of any company that values customer service any more so I shouldn't be surprised.

My guess is that they don't want to make promises they can't keep. That's painting it positive. The flip side of that is they don't want to reveal decisions they will be held accountable. The same thing, but a different flavor on it. Once lawyers and accountants get involved, it goes downhill quickly.

Tallman:

This may well be SOP for some companies but it is an awful customer relations strategy which stands the very concept of customer retention on its head.

As for relying to some degree on suppliers, that is the norm for virtually every manufactured product, so putting that caveat into a status update would not surprise or upset anyone I know.

IMO,it would be perfectly reasonable for BMW to say something like the following to us 2014 RTW owners:

"BMW is working with our supplier to ensure the expeditious manufacture of the necessary replacement parts which have already been engineered and properly tested.

Based on the latest information received from our supplier, barring any unexpected surprises,these replacement parts are anticipated to be available between the 2nd and 4th weeks of_______. In any event, rest assured we will contact you promptly as soon as a firm date for the repair can be determined.

In the meantime,we sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding; we understand the inconvenience this has caused you and other loyal BMW customers and hope you can appreciate that your safety and the safety of our products are of paramount importance to BMW."

It seems to me issuing a statement along those lines would go a long way toward making RTW customers feel that they are important to BMW. Moreover, by simply communicating in general terms what is happening, where they are in the process, and providing some anticipated schedule timeframe, they would not be committing the company to promises they cannot keep.

Weston

P.S. GM might benefit from such a strategy too, though their circumstances seems far more serious for the reputation and trust of the company and their products than our RTW suspension problem is likely to be in the long run for BMW.

I would only add that having been through the engine re-build Stop Order and recall on my S100RR (since traded on an HP4),I really expected better from BMW. Put another way, in dealing with the public in difficult situations like this, silence is rarely a clever corporate communications strategy!

You guys do know that there are several R1200RT-W bikes running and being used everyday in the Tour De France. So this must mean that someone does make a Non-ESA suspension for these bikes, or everyone is on a suicide watch in Europe.

I think it is better for BMW to issue a stop riding notice, then to wait for people to have crashes and get hurt or killed and then issue a government mandated recall, like GM or other companies.

And YES, I don't have a bone in this problem, my 2007 RT has over 136,000 miles and uses Ohlins shocks. But sooner or later I be looking for a replacement RT.

Tallman:

This may well be SOP for some companies but it is an awful customer relations strategy which stands the very concept of customer retention on its head.

As for relying to some degree on suppliers, that is the norm for virtually every manufactured product, so putting that caveat into a status update would not surprise or upset anyone I know.

IMO,it would be perfectly reasonable for BMW to say something like the following to us 2014 RTW owners:

"BMW is working with our supplier to ensure the expeditious manufacture of the necessary replacement parts which have already been engineered and properly tested.

Based on the latest information received from our supplier, barring any unexpected surprises,these replacement parts are anticipated to be available between the 2nd and 4th weeks of_______. In any event, rest assured we will contact you promptly as soon as a firm date for the repair can be determined.

In the meantime,we sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding; we understand the inconvenience this has caused you and other loyal BMW customers and hope you can appreciate that your safety and the safety of our products are of paramount importance to BMW."

It seems to me issuing a statement along those lines would go a long way toward making RTW customers feel that they are important to BMW. Moreover, by simply communicating in general terms what is happening, where they are in the process, and providing some anticipated schedule timeframe, they would not be committing the company to promises they cannot keep.

Weston

P.S. GM might benefit from such a strategy too, though their circumstances seems far more serious for the reputation and trust of the company and their products than our RTW suspension problem is likely to be in the long run for BMW.

I would only add that having been through the engine re-build Stop Order and recall on my S100RR (since traded on an HP4),I really expected better from BMW. Put another way, in dealing with the public in difficult situations like this, silence is rarely a clever corporate communications strategy!

I don't know if I agree with your statement about the clever communications strategy. I have found over the past month that this Stop Ride order is not common knowledge among other BMW riders and non BMW riders are mostly oblivious to it. I went to the local Suzuki dealer last weekend when the Demo truck was there and while waiting for my test ride was talking to the Suzuki Regional manager and the Suzuki District manager. Neither of them were even aware of the issue and they are in the business.

The only discussions I have seen or heard on this issue outside of the initial notification was when the official recall notice came out. Any official statement on their part would just bring the whole issue in front of the public again as the multiple motorcycle centric magazine and other websites plaster it on the first page as they try to fill up their pages with something new.

Any info sent out by BMW to the dealerships or the customers is going to be on these forums in minutes. I ask what do they achieve by that publicity? I don't see anything positive. I don't think their lack of communication is going to have any impact on how soon a resolution is in place.

It sucks to be a current owner with a bike they can't ride or a future owner with one on order and no idea when it is going to arrive. BMW by their actions (or lack of communication) have shown they have little interest in communicating with the dealers or the customers any timeline or information.

I am sure they are getting daily reports on the internet traffic on blogs and web pages. With what these reports are showing it is obvious that they are not motivated to address these issues publicly outside of what they have already done.

The other thing to remember is the customer may always be right but that doesn't meant they will be catered to. Any business has to evaluate customer service vs company objectives. The number of impacted 1200RT owners is not significant enough at this point to change that equation.

You guys do know that there are several R1200RT-W bikes running and being used everyday in the Tour De France. So this must mean that someone does make a Non-ESA suspension for these bikes, or everyone is on a suicide watch in Europe.

I think it is better for BMW to issue a stop riding notice, then to wait for people to have crashes and get hurt or killed and then issue a government mandated recall, like GM or other companies.

And YES, I don't have a bone in this problem, my 2007 RT has over 136,000 miles and uses Ohlins shocks. But sooner or later I be looking for a replacement RT.

They might not be ESA equipped.

They might not be ESA equipped.

I've watched every stage of the tour and while I've seen more C14s than RTs, I'm sure the RT-Ws are out there. Who knows if they are ESA equipped. But, I bet they are and they are riding them anyway.

Guest Kakugo

I've watched every stage of the tour and while I've seen more C14s than RTs, I'm sure the RT-Ws are out there. Who knows if they are ESA equipped. But, I bet they are and they are riding them anyway.

Kawasaki is the "official supplier", meaning they provide the bikes used by the organization for time keeping, carrying water bottles etc. As a former C14 owner I pity the poor devils who have to ride that sweatbox in 30+°C weather to put food on the table. :rofl:

Gendarmerie riders use their FJR1300, Marvic (which provides technical assistance to riders) use big scooters modified to carry spare wheels (they used Honda Transalp until a few years ago), while TV crews and photographers use whatever they can get their hands on.

Last week I saw a lone RT-LC on the road but there was no way I could tell if it was ESA-equipped or what.

As I understand it the Wilbers ESA version will reuse the DDA from the existing ESA shock which means that parts to rebuild any of the DDA portion of the shock may not be available.

Alan

I am getting really frustrated with BMW. I elected the buyback, gave them the info they wanted, and now I am not hearing anything from them. The CS rep is not responding to emails and I still have gotten zero details on timing. I have a 2015 on order, but if they keep operating in the cone of silence I may reconsider the order.

Anyone having better luck??

I am getting really frustrated with BMW. I elected the buyback, gave them the info they wanted, and now I am not hearing anything from them. The CS rep is not responding to emails and I still have gotten zero details on timing. I have a 2015 on order, but if they keep operating in the cone of silence I may reconsider the order.

Anyone having better luck??

I'm curious as well...also, the 2015 GSA bikes are already starting in production but I haven't seen anything on the timing of the 2015 RT....perhaps they are holding them back to help dealers clear the 2014 new and repurchase bikes. Course, they will need shock packages, perhaps that's what holding them up.

2015 has nothing I want. My 2014 should be repaired and on the road long before 2015s hit the dealers floor.Only difference will be color and keyless ignition. All the other parts will be the same.

I want the keyless ride option, so I ordered the new bike with that. I was also able to get all of the options without the sound system, which I think is a waste of money for me.

I ordered Ebony again. It is a great color. At this point the deal is still not completely negotiated, but my dealer will not screw over me. They (Morton's) are an excellent group of people.

Jeff,

What colors are available in 2015? For some reason I thought it was the new darker blue and flat gray... Ebony is my choice too, I can’t believe it’s a BMW color way to nice for them.

Jay

New San Marino Blue

2015-rt.jpg

Discontinued Quartz Blue Metallic

2014-bmw-r-1200-rt-unveiled-semi-water-cooled-boxer-7.jpg

The Ebony Metallic and Callisto Grey Metallic Matte return.

Pat

Thanks Pat, that helps me think about my options differently. The coming week should be a telling week if BMW does or doesn’t do what it said it would.

Jay

OzarkR1200RT

Did your buy back cover accessories? BMW is refusing to pay for non BMW accessories like fog lights, hyper lights and tank bag. Even after my dealer confirmed w BMW that I tried to buy the accessories from BMW......however they were not available for order. This forced me to go to the after market.

BMW customer service has to be the worst in the industry.

This coming from a guy who has bought 3 BMW motorcycles and 2 BMW cars in the last 3 years. All we can do is vote w our dollars....enough griping.

The bike is the same. Take them off the old one and put on the new one. New accessories may cost more next year.

BMW is refusing to pay for non BMW accessories like fog lights, hyper lights and tank bag.

That is a bit unreasonable to expect.

OzarkR1200RT

So Karl let me get this straight. I buy accessories purpose built for a bike that I cannot ride. And I do not Want another BMW and it is unreasonable to expect BMW to pay for them? Let me Refrsh your memory.....I did not choose to be put in this situation. So I should take them off and sell them for $0.50 on the dollar?

Derogatory remark removed.

OzarkR1200RT

Jeff, seems like I saw in another thread you installed some Darla lights? What did you do with those? Did BMW reimburse you for those or did you remove.

I didn't install the Darlas - they are still in the box and will go on the new bike when it comes in. The only accessories on the bike are Nav, the top case and tank bag. I will need the upgraded top case to go with central locking/keyless ride and I don't care for the BMW tank bag.

Guest Kakugo
Why is the front faring a different color than the rest of the blue bike for the 2015? :(

Because once in a while manufacturers think touring bikes are "boring" in solid colors and attempt turning them into sportsbikes? :grin:

Seriously: sportsbikes should be solid colors. End of debate.

So Karl let me get this straight. I buy accessories purpose built for a bike that I cannot ride. And I do not Want another BMW and it is unreasonable to expect BMW to pay for them? Let me Refrsh your memory.....I did not choose to be put in this situation. So I should take them off and sell them for $0.50 on the dollar?

Derogatory remark removed

I think we know who the Derogatory remark removed is here.

None of these parts would be made for the BMW "specific".

Worse case, you might loose the cost of some "adapter" to suit the BMW, but otherwise all these should be transferable to the new bike.

Yes it is unreasonable to expect that BMW comes up for all those costs.

Would you like them to pay for your helmet and boots as well??

Why is the front faring a different color than the rest of the blue bike for the 2015? :(

Because once in a while manufacturers think touring bikes are "boring" in solid colors and attempt turning them into sportsbikes? :grin:

They're fishing for the old guy that hasn't yet accepted the fact that he is an old guy. :grin: I do think it's going to look pretty nice when you actually see one in that color. Ow ow ow, could use a little help with this hook, please! :rofl:

Pat

Your an idiot.

I think we know who the idiot is here.

None of these parts would be made for the BMW "specific".

Worse case, you might loose the cost of some "adapter" to suit the BMW, but otherwise all these should be transferable to the new bike.

Yes it is unreasonable to expect that BMW comes up for all those costs.

Would you like them to pay for your helmet and boots as well??

I think folk need to calm down and re-read The User Agreement. You know, the one than prohibits personal attacks.

Keep it civil please.

Andy

Guest Kakugo

They're fishing for the old guy that hasn't yet accepted the fact that he is an old guy. :grin: I do think it's going to look pretty nice when you actually see one in that color. Ow ow ow, could use a little help with this hook, please! :rofl:

Pat

I am 37, but I've always liked my bike solid color, even sportsbikes.

I even went to the trouble of removing the stickers on my Suzuki Gamma to leave it solid black... :grin:

Yeah, graphics IMO can make or break a bike or maybe more accurately freeze a bike in time. I love what they did with the GT sport and think this new RT is not overdone.

Here is an example of a bad graphics package.

Suzuki-GSXR-1100-1992-7.jpg

Pat

Doug_Baliko

None of those accessories are BMW specific. You'll be able to use them on whatever bike you buy in the future.

Doug

Pat

I am 37, but I've always liked my bike solid color, even sportsbikes.

I even went to the trouble of removing the stickers on my Suzuki Gamma to leave it solid black... :grin:

I'd be mildly curious of a marketing poll of RT customers (not S1000RR customers) interested in the new blue '15, asking whether they would prefer it with or without gray stripes/stickers and a matte gray nose. Of course we know that BMW executives are the only poll that counts.

I am not personally fond of the "Angry Bird" new color combo for 2015 on the RT and think it would have looked much better in the solid dark blue. It WILL appeal to some others though, and colors and graphics are a personal choice. If I was ordering a 2015, I'd chose the same color as my 2014, the Ebony. I'd prefer the grey plastic accent pieces/color were the black as found on the grey and blue 2014.

BMW has had some color challenged choices if you can think back to the KRS "Taxi" and the K1200S "Bee". I owned a K1200S "Bee" and spent a fair amount having the silver front fender, tank, and matt black front fairing painted to match the other black graphite metallic color on the bike. I liked the result, but again, individual choice.

If anyone is old enough to get the "old" SNL reference, I used to say Dieter designs the bikes and the monkey sometimes picks the colors. :grin:

Dieter+Sprockets+2.jpg

I was hoping for news of somebody in the US actually getting their bike back after being fixed, this thread seems to have drifted...

I was hoping for news of somebody in the US actually getting their bike back after being fixed, this thread seems to have drifted...

I think that is why we all check it :grin: But to sum up, no news officially from BMW US when the fix will occur and no reports of fixed bikes.

Some reports of BMW CS reps stating verbally in August for the fix in the US. No word on anything in writing to owners stating this.

Some reports of BMW CS reps stating verbally in August for the fix in the US. No word on anything in writing to owners stating this.

I did get an Email from BMWNA CS on July 23 stating the following:

"Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA.

We estimate that parts may be available in August. Please note this is an estimate and may be subject to change. As soon as parts become available, we will notify you to schedule an appointment with your local BMW Motorrad dealer.

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-525-7417.

Regards,

Melissa Knueven

BMW Motorrad USA

Representative

The New BMW R nineT

The Essence of 90 Thrilling Years of BMW Motorrad

www.bmwmotorcycles.com"

Brian,

First time I have seen it in writing from BMW US . As others reported being told by a CS on the phone just "August" with no specification of end, middle or beginning.

"may be available" in August. Good Luck with that.

I have received my settlement agreement on the buyback. Of course the numbers are wrong on it and I have to get a revision. We shall see how that works.

I have moved on and purchased a Super Tenere. Put almost 500 break-in miles on it this weekend.

What a great bike. And its great to ride again. Goodbye BMW.

Archived